Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ChairMaster posted:

Hey do old people understand emoticons? When a republican politician looks at this picture does he think "haha that stupid rear end in a top hat accidentally put random punctuation on his card instead of a picture"?
A couple months ago I texted that exact emoticon to my 63 year old mother as a reply to something or other. Her reply was, " Cute. Took me a minute "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I work at a public library, and got this question in an email. Apparently this person has been asking around online, and the only relevant things that Google turns up are all his own posts. I'm stumped, frankly, but maybe someone on SA knows this?

quote:

I will try to give as many details as I can remember. I remember neither title or author, but I can promise you that the general storyline/premise
is unique. I have compared the story to 1000's of others on goodreads.com, to folklore/mythology tales from all over the world, and none so far compares to this story.

The story begins with many gods/deities in the universe that have just finished creating a world, and they are quarreling amongst each other because no object or creature in the world was given a name yet. So the deities decide to create a boy (or assign a boy, I don't remember exactly how they pick the boy) in the newly created world the task of naming everything for them. Thus, the boy goes on many adventures traveling to distant places and giving names to everything.

So for example, if the boy came across an object or creature, he would ask the gods "What is this called?" and they would respond something like "That's up to you to decide" along those lines.

The author could have had influence or have been inspired by foreign creation stories/myths/legends (Indian/Arabic, possibly Greek/Persian/Chinese?). It is also possible that the book could have been translated into English from another language.

The copy I had was a hardback may have had a dustjacket, color was offwhite with decent spine thickness ((roughly 5/5.5 x 8" dimensions, about .5" thick). It was published before 1998, and could be from any decade before the 90s. The cover was colorful, featuring an illustrated image of the boy looking down on a cloud, with short black hair, wearing white (his eyes are looking downward) with a celestial background I've drawn an image from memory of the cover. It may not be 100% but I know for sure the boy had black hair and was featured on the cover. The gods may have been elemental gods (god of wind, thunder, etc), so you will notice lightning, wind, and little details to represent the elements. Backdrop is celestial, featuring the moon, stars, etc.

http://postimg.org/image/canm7zuu7/

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

I work at a public library, and got this question in an email. Apparently this person has been asking around online, and the only relevant things that Google turns up are all his own posts. I'm stumped, frankly, but maybe someone on SA knows this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537 worked wonders for me, give them a shot.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Thanks!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Does the inside of blueberries turn from white/green to purple when cooked or exposed to air from something in the skin seeping inward, or from the white/green parts changing color?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Approximately how much does it cost to run a small air conditioner in a small room year round?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rizuhbull posted:

Approximately how much does it cost to run a small air conditioner in a small room year round?

If we assume you run it 24/7 and use the us average of 12.5 cents per kilowatthour, it'd be about $963.60 a year for average 880 watt unit.

But usually it doesn't need to run full on the whole time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

rizuhbull posted:

This widely varies depending on where you live, what your other usage looks like, what you mean by "year round," (24 hours a day? 8 hours a day?), and how efficient the air conditioner is.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I registered and downloaded the WIndows Insider Preview, and then got busy and could not actually put a machine together to install it on.

If I manage to put a machine together later this year, will this transition me into free Windows 10?

Do people who actually installed and everything get free Windows 10?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kapalama posted:

I registered and downloaded the WIndows Insider Preview, and then got busy and could not actually put a machine together to install it on.

If I manage to put a machine together later this year, will this transition me into free Windows 10?

Do people who actually installed and everything get free Windows 10?

The way I understand it, any copy of Windows 7 or 8 (Not Enterprise edition) that is authenticated/registered and has all the updates will get a free upgrade to Windows 10. You can do this anytime between now and the end of July 2016. Anyone who does not take advantage of the free upgrade within the time frame would have to buy 10.

Supposedly, if you do the free upgrade to 10, and something goes wrong down the line, there will be a way to re-install 10. I don't know if that involves making a recovery disk after the upgrade, or burning an ISO or what.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
How can I prioritize a single app on my phone. I use an app for work and I'd like it to take precedent over my other apps and receive data first.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a practice technique I can use to reduce the slant in my handwriting? Googling just brings up graphology bullshit. Even practicing on graph paper doesn't seem to help.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
How intense is your slant? Can you post a sample of your handwriting?

E: Without seeing what you're doing, I'm going to recommend looking into learning calligraphy. Training yourself to approach writing a letter from an aesthetic point of view, like you're drawing a picture rather than doing something utilitarian, will help your handwriting improve regardless.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 31, 2015

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

How intense is your slant? Can you post a sample of your handwriting?

E: Without seeing what you're doing, I'm going to recommend looking into learning calligraphy. Training yourself to approach writing a letter from an aesthetic point of view, like you're drawing a picture rather than doing something utilitarian, will help your handwriting improve regardless.

Thanks. It's not a dramatic slant but it's affecting my ability to draw/cut stencils as nicely as I'd like. Learning calligraphy actually interests me so I will get on that. What basics do you recommend?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hummingbirds posted:

Thanks. It's not a dramatic slant but it's affecting my ability to draw/cut stencils as nicely as I'd like. Learning calligraphy actually interests me so I will get on that. What basics do you recommend?

That is some of the neatest, most readable writing I have ever seen and it has a slant of approximately zero degrees.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Near as I can tell the regions currently known as "China", "Egypt" and "The Arctic" are currently occupied by people who consider themselves descendants of the people who have lived there since antiquity, both culturally and genealogically. This is different from Europe where there have previously been Neanderthals, Gauls, Romans, Saxons, Napoleon, Nazis, and The EU; and also The Americas where there have previously been Mayans, Aztecs, various Great Lakes/St. Lawrence tribes, the "Plains Indians", "Those loving Hippies on the West Coast", and recently-er, Us.

You'd think that these people being all isolated on their own would either be literal skygods due to their incredible long stretches of peace and prosperity, or maybe also these places could be poo poo-holes and nobody wants to live there much less fight over living there, but that brings another point.

Some places that fight a lot seem to do really well even if they lose. For example the USA is always at war with places ending in *stan, but even though it lost the wars in Vietnam, Drugs, and Terrorism, it's doing pretty well. But on the other hand you've got most of africa that's full of diamonds and ebola, and it's super extra lovely. It is considered correct but impolite to express the sentiment, "It's because niggers, lol.", but those same lolniggers also built several pyramids in Egypt which are standing more or less intact to this day. Considering that the last boat I built electrocuted me and sank twice before catching on fire and ultimately being declared unsalvageable after less than 18 months, I'd say that their "pile of rocks that stood up and did not fall down for a long time" achievement is rather impressive. "Egypt" is a name that shows no signs of being forgotten, but they as a country are just as full of black people as "The South" USA and sub-Saharan Africa. (I hope to god nobody calls me on this assertion as I have not checked wikipedia for actual population estimates), and is just as full of Muslims as any *stan country (no idea if this is true).

What forces actually contribute to downfalls of civilization? I do not think it is the presence of women and black people or muslims. (maybe it is muslims, but as Tyson states on Muslims, "They used to be pretty good at it but then they got bad at it for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAT98eEN5Q (I actually cited something), they used to be good at it but then they got bad at it.) Like seriously. What is it that causes collapse of civilization? Someone I respect once said to me, "just vote for the GOP so America dies quickly and we can rebuild". This person has a Masters in whatever field you need to be in order to work as a lab tech that diagnoses medical samples (which I understand from watching HouseMD is a painfully boring process, and therefore suits people who are inclined to long periods of silent contemplation, ergo their opinions are more worthy of my/your consideration than those of a typical facebook post).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DreadLlama posted:

Near as I can tell the regions currently known as "China", "Egypt" and "The Arctic" are currently occupied by people who consider themselves descendants of the people who have lived there since antiquity, both culturally and genealogically. This is different from Europe where there have previously been Neanderthals, Gauls, Romans, Saxons, Napoleon, Nazis, and The EU; and also The Americas where there have previously been Mayans, Aztecs, various Great Lakes/St. Lawrence tribes, the "Plains Indians", "Those loving Hippies on the West Coast", and recently-er, Us.

You'd think that these people being all isolated on their own would either be literal skygods due to their incredible long stretches of peace and prosperity, or maybe also these places could be poo poo-holes and nobody wants to live there much less fight over living there, but that brings another point.

Just to pick apart one part of your post, which of China, Egypt or The Arctic do you think have been peaceful for any real length of time? The Arctic you might be able to make an argument for (but not the other two) but that probably has as much to do with population density as anything, and if I remember my War Before Civilization correctly they have a higher murder rate than anywhere else.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DreadLlama posted:

What forces actually contribute to downfalls of civilization?

You might enjoy the books of Jared Diamond, particularly Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

It's not hard to find people who disagree with him, but overall he's pretty well regarded in the popular science world. And at the very least the man can certainly write a thought-provoking book.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

You might enjoy the books of Jared Diamond, particularly Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

It's not hard to find people who disagree with him, but overall he's pretty well regarded in the popular science world. And at the very least the man can certainly write a thought-provoking book.

It'll also help you get over your bizarre assumptions and misunderstandings about history.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Powered Descent posted:

As an enormous honk for everything Jared Diamond has ever written (and drat it is a lot), I 'd say the questions that person is asking are not really going to be addressed as well in "Guns, Germs, and Steel" as they are in "Collapse".

Someone who has the view of the inherent superiority of Western Civilization (and the phrasing of the question seems that poster does hold that view at least to some degree), will find it too easy to dismiss the arguments of GGS. And with good reason. GGS requires a completely sympathetic and charitable reading to be even slightly compelling as an argument.

Collapse talks a lot less than GGS about "CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS", and more about how unique factors influence things in particular places. Which is the far more interesting thing anyway. Haiti, and the Dominican Republic, two sides of the same loving island!!!, are much easier to understand in comparison, and far less loaded, than comparing the UK and any of its former colonies like Jamaica.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

tuyop posted:

It'll also help you get over your bizarre assumptions and misunderstandings about history.

Will it help them get over their overt racism?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to get a Meerkat archive off of my phone and save it to, say, Youtube?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is it really weird not to have a facebook account this day and age?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Kurtofan posted:

Is it really weird not to have a facebook account this day and age?

Depends on how old you are. It's weird if you've never had one and you're 30 or under. Not using it is another matter entirely. Clearly there are minor swathes of people who barely use it or have stopped using it entirely, but it remains pretty drat popular.

It's a convenient tool especially when meeting new people, because trading numbers is maybe coming on a little strong/has datey overtones. But just by being introduced to somebody you can just search them on FB and add them. You're hamstringing yourself in certain situations without one, but if you're in a settled place in life and socially satisfied, I can imagine not using FB at all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jeza posted:

Depends on how old you are. It's weird if you've never had one and you're 30 or under. Not using it is another matter entirely. Clearly there are minor swathes of people who barely use it or have stopped using it entirely, but it remains pretty drat popular.

It's a convenient tool especially when meeting new people, because trading numbers is maybe coming on a little strong/has datey overtones. But just by being introduced to somebody you can just search them on FB and add them. You're hamstringing yourself in certain situations without one, but if you're in a settled place in life and socially satisfied, I can imagine not using FB at all.

I got one in high school because of peer pressure, but I've basically never used it, I hate it when people force my hand.

I prefer to give my email address.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 2, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I got one in high school because of peer pressure, but I've basically never used it, I hate it when people force my hand.

I prefer to give my email.

That's the gooniest thing I've ever heard.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jeza posted:

That's the gooniest thing I've ever heard.

Is it? What's wrong with an email address? It's made for communication.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Is it? What's wrong with an email address? It's made for communication.

Why not manufacture yourself some personalised business cards and hand them out instead?

E-mail was used for social communication in maybe the mid-90s. Nobody normal goes around giving out their e-mail address to people they want to talk to. That is what texting and IM is for. Maybe it works in MtG meetings, I dunno. If somebody gave me their e-mail address as their primary manner of being contacted, I'm either in a business meeting or talking to somebody inadvertently outing themselves as somebody pretty weird.

I don't think I've even been sent a "social" e-mail by a stranger in my entire life.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeza posted:

I don't think I've even been sent a "social" e-mail by a stranger in my entire life.

And that has what to do with asking people you know to email you?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Well I text mainly, but the email is there to replace facebook.

edit: and I don't give my email address to everyone I meet, only to friends and the like.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 2, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got some advice for a want-to-be work from home dad/freelance web dev?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

And that has what to do with asking people you know to email you?

Maybe read the context of what you're replying to, because it was explicitly referring to meeting new people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeza posted:

Maybe read the context of what you're replying to, because it was explicitly referring to meeting new people.

They're no longer strangers if you're comfortable enough to let them know how to contact you, twit.

Unless you really are weird enough that everyone you pass on the street you just tell your facebook to?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

They're no longer strangers if you're comfortable enough to let them know how to contact you, twit.

Unless you really are weird enough that everyone you pass on the street you just tell your facebook to?

So you only ever share contact details with people you're already friends with? How do you ever make friends with new people?

oh it's that guy with 33000 posts

hmm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeza posted:

So you only ever share contact details with people you're already friends with? How do you ever make friends with new people?

I wouldn't give my facebook details to someone I had just bumped into one time ever, no. Why would you?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

I wouldn't give my facebook details to someone I had just bumped into one time ever, no. Why would you?

Facebook details?? It's called a name. And yes, it's customary to introduce oneself where I come from. Mayhaps at a purveyor of fine beverages? Or at a jamboree at a person's abode?

Maybe I'm in a new town, attending the local anime society. I introduce myself to others and have a good time. After enjoying some fine animes and wine, I can add people I met on Facebook. There's no need to formally hand over my e-mail address (what for??). Hope this clears up any confusion, even if I'm not sure how there is any.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

TIL people have different opinions about whether they want people they barely know to be in touch via Facebook/email.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Even at only 30 Facebook has become my old man "back in MY loving day" thing but that might be because of how Hatfield v McCoy my loving direct and extended families are across it

At least before FB they had to call each other or go to gatherings to make backbitey snide comments

ugh

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Reason posted:

Anyone got some advice for a want-to-be work from home dad/freelance web dev?

Ask in the web design/dev megathread in COBOL. I'd link it for you, but phone posting.

Lots of folks who freelance in there, including me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm 27 and I ditched facebook about 6-7 years ago and I've never ever had anyone think it was weird I didn't have one. The only time I think people would have raised an eyebrow was college, when facebook was still college-only and it was still all new and exciting and mega popular.