Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I think I'll go for the rush tomorrow. Gotta go do some Sunday dungeon today.

Blue Dragon ++ can just go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Looking ahead to the Tifa event :stare:

Best ranged weapon being the Killer Bow is going to suck, and can really only roll with at most one of Cloud/Sephiroth when the so many bosses in the magical bracket are airborne.

Can't even hone WInd Slash much, dumped all the Lesser Wind Orbs into Double Cuts. :argh:

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
I'm just dropping any and all pretense of Edgar/Sabin being good characters and going to go through the EX's without them.
Mastery isn't that great anyway.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

kalensc posted:

Looking ahead to the Tifa event :stare:

Best ranged weapon being the Killer Bow is going to suck, and can really only roll with at most one of Cloud/Sephiroth when the so many bosses in the magical bracket are airborne.

Can't even hone WInd Slash much, dumped all the Lesser Wind Orbs into Double Cuts. :argh:

I mean, if it's the magical bracket, one would assume you'd be expected to bring a party of mostly mages. Isn't that the idea?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I need one single White Orb. Besides waiting for Thursday, is there a place to chase one down that has decent drop results? Apparently there's not a single White Orb anywhere in the current event. Or if there is I haven't found it yet.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Alxprit posted:

I mean, if it's the magical bracket, one would assume you'd be expected to bring a party of mostly mages. Isn't that the idea?

For dealing damage sure, make them super crazy strong on defense that's a fun challenge. It will be awkward for me to land more than 2 types of Breakdowns/Breaks since I don't have any decent ranged weapons (Killer Bow is best) so I'll throw that on Wakka I suppose, then maybe Wind Slash on Cloud if I can hone it some more, and finally 3 mages that can all chip in on DPS? Ranged-attack only enemies are rare-ish in regular dungeons, having one in a boss rush would have been tough but OK, three out of four is just :stare:.

I may just fall in the narrow subset of players who started with the Vanille event (a few less characters, less mythril, low gacha luck, etc) but has grinded enough orbs to have had a lot of success in all the EX+/EX++ dungeons thus far. This one seems like it'll cost a few mythrils for sure since I'll be burning -Ajas and -Agas and summons all the live-long day, but oh well them's the breaks.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

IllegallySober posted:

I need one single White Orb. Besides waiting for Thursday, is there a place to chase one down that has decent drop results? Apparently there's not a single White Orb anywhere in the current event. Or if there is I haven't found it yet.

A bunch of dungeons give them out, not sure if you're finished all the newer ones from updates 4 through 6 though.

Normal Dungeons First Time

Deist Cavern
Hein's Castle
Corel Prison
Macalania Temple
Mt. Zozo
Mt. Nibel

Normal Dungeons Mastery

Cave of Tides
Tropical Island
Burmecia
Mushroom Rock Road

I also picked up a few progressing through the Figaro event if you're still working on the Hard/Heroic stages of that.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I -tried- to beat Blue Dragon, I really did, but I just suck I guess. And it's annoying when the enemies are able to wear you down -just enough- to die to a single attack from the boss who spams loving MT water attacks like it's nobody's business. I kinda gave up hope of beating it and went onto Sabin's round of floors and cleared all but two. I -need- to catch up heavily on regular stages (Doesn't help I dropped the game for a good month or so due to burnout and the constant barrage of events)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kemix posted:

I -tried- to beat Blue Dragon, I really did, but I just suck I guess. And it's annoying when the enemies are able to wear you down -just enough- to die to a single attack from the boss who spams loving MT water attacks like it's nobody's business. I kinda gave up hope of beating it and went onto Sabin's round of floors and cleared all but two. I -need- to catch up heavily on regular stages (Doesn't help I dropped the game for a good month or so due to burnout and the constant barrage of events)

The best thing to do for fights like blue dragon is get to the wave before the boss, kill the most threatening of the two enemies, and then pop sentinel grimoire as a RW if you don't have it on tyro, otherwise use it on him, and if you can do Shellga too somehow then even better. That way you start the boss fight with one of both damage reductions and even if they get off an attack before you power/magic break them it won't hurt too much. By the time shellga and/or sentinel wears off even Tyro's Curaga should have the party back up in decent shape. Pop sentinel again when the first use is running out. I basically never let it or magic break fall off in the boss fight while Cloud and Squall hit with spellblades and Vivi spammed Thundaga. Still took awhile to get through all that HP though.

If you can sneak in a poisoning skill for the fight that may also help if you can land it right away.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can anyone give me tips on how to beat the Phantom Train. I don't have raise or death.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Violet_Sky posted:

Can anyone give me tips on how to beat the Phantom Train. I don't have raise or death.

The Phantom Train is undead so death wouldn't work anyways.

If you don't want to craft raise for the guaranteed instant-kill, just spam fire and lightning at it until it dies.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

the Orb of Zot posted:

The Phantom Train is undead so death wouldn't work anyways.

It actually does. Death doesn't full-heal undead in this.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

CaptainPsyko posted:

Because you were basically out of gas, carrying a character and a bunch of abilities that you don't need for Ultima, but needed to get to him.

Mythril'd before him because I was lazy and I got a shitload of mythril anyways which I probably wont be using much until the Edge/Rosa event ever gets here.

He still took longer than in sabin's story despite going even more ham on him. It was really strange.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

James Totes posted:

I'm just dropping any and all pretense of Edgar/Sabin being good characters and going to go through the EX's without them.
Mastery isn't that great anyway.

Edgar at least has support 3 :shrug:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Making you drag two characters who can't use spellblade, white magic, black magic, or breakdowns into EX fights to get mastery is the worst drat thing.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i think i might just skip the ex on this one, s/l the sabin level pretty much drained my desire to do edgars last one. ive been saving mithril for the ff13 up coming pull and I cant wait to get 33 poo poo items.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jibo posted:

Making you drag two characters who can't use spellblade, white magic, black magic, or breakdowns into EX fights to get mastery is the worst drat thing.

Well poo poo. I dunno whether to bring Edgar or Sabin along for the ride now. It's either them or Wakka or Kain. Or a Core.

Scob posted:

i think i might just skip the ex on this one, s/l the sabin level pretty much drained my desire to do edgars last one. ive been saving mithril for the ff13 up coming pull and I cant wait to get 33 poo poo items.

But they're poo poo items from FF13 ISN'T THAT COOL

But nah, I see what ya mean. At least it might synergize. Might.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

widespread posted:

But they're poo poo items from FF13 ISN'T THAT COOL

But nah, I see what ya mean. At least it might synergize. Might.

How often do you guys actually get trash items from that realm when rolling banners? I usually get FF4-6 poo poo for my 3* rolls.

Or a ridiculous number of lovely FF12 staves.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Rarely. There is definitely not an even distribution of 3*-4* items across all realms.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

R3 Power and Magic Breakdowns, R2 Quake and Blitz, R4 of all 3* Breaks/Black Magic/Spellblades, R3 misc Busters/Legshot/Intimidate/etc. Really not sure what to build next? I'm finding that this is already enough to clear boss rushes without a mythril and am just stockpiling orbs for new skills rather than R5'ing stuff for no reason. What are the rest of you doing with your orbs at this point?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I was really getting a bit down on this game (mainly cause of the menu lag) but with my party at level 20 it's not too bad...

... then I turned on the music / sound and the nostalgia goggles fused to my skull. Best game, 10 out of 10.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nephzinho posted:

R3 Power and Magic Breakdowns, R2 Quake and Blitz, R4 of all 3* Breaks/Black Magic/Spellblades, R3 misc Busters/Legshot/Intimidate/etc. Really not sure what to build next? I'm finding that this is already enough to clear boss rushes without a mythril and am just stockpiling orbs for new skills rather than R5'ing stuff for no reason. What are the rest of you doing with your orbs at this point?

Saving them for things in the future like Ruinga and Diaga, stockpiling some so I can craft/hone -ajas. Actually not sure if I should craft Curaja considering it'd be a pain and a half to hone.

Also I have no idea what to do with my tens and tens of Earth Orbs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I started after the Garnet/Vivi event, so how long until I can get my bestest Mage buddy his memory crystal?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

When do we get that ability to learn Soul Breaks, anyway?

In Japan it basically hit the week before SSBs were announced.

PJOmega posted:

I started after the Garnet/Vivi event, so how long until I can get my bestest Mage buddy his memory crystal?

Vivi's is still a while from now, I believe. I want to say it was from the Forest of Moore Elite in FFV? We haven't even gotten past world 1 there, so. :shrug:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Vivi's is still a while from now, I believe. I want to say it was from the Forest of Moore Elite in FFV? We haven't even gotten past world 1 there, so. :shrug:

Big Bridge, actually, but yeah it'll be a while. That's why it was so nice we got it early, since getting Devotion is a huge boost.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

PJOmega posted:

KataraniSword posted:

It's in Big Bridge (e:fb on this bit). (Forest of Moore is Red XIII's crystal). That's in three dungeon updates, so in at most a month and a half (realistically, a little less) provided they stick to the bimonthly dungeon update schedule they talk about.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Unless his crystal shows up as a surprise in the Steiner event, it will be 3 dungeon updates away, or about 6 weeks.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Khimari released before Auron, or Irvine before Zell are unusual choices. Reno (a minor villain) from FF7 before any main character from any FF is stranger still.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Khimari released before Auron, or Irvine before Zell are unusual choices. Reno (a minor villain) from FF7 before any main character from any FF is stranger still.

Characters aren't released in order of popularity or importance. They're pretty clearly stringing out main/popular characters to keep players' interest for events on the horizon. If they just gave all the popular characters up front and then had nothing but third-rate NPCs after that, people would get bored and quit.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Interesting and insightful point you make Ssss. Upon reflection, I kind of like strange eclectic teams of unpopular or underrated characters, and using them in new ways to overcome their shortcomings. Well said.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Ugh leveling Black Mage is a terrible slog. I have him soling normal on the daily because if literally anything targets him in hard he will die in one hit. He can get 8k EXP from expert on normal. I was really hoping to get him to 50 but it looks like that will take several more days. I'm going to need to start leveling Rydia soon as well because I don't have Vivi's MC and I don't want the EXP to go to waste when he hits 50, which is very soon. Sucks.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Ugh leveling Black Mage is a terrible slog. I have him soling normal on the daily because if literally anything targets him in hard he will die in one hit. He can get 8k EXP from expert on normal. I was really hoping to get him to 50 but it looks like that will take several more days. I'm going to need to start leveling Rydia soon as well because I don't have Vivi's MC and I don't want the EXP to go to waste when he hits 50, which is very soon. Sucks.

I just babysat him through two sundays' worth of the hard dungeon then used all the completion growth eggs on him to bust him up. I was gonna do the same for summoner, but it turns out he can clear certain wave comps in the expert dungeon with shiva, so I just stuck him in there with Edgar, Sabin, White Mage, and Josef. I am so loving behind on relic materia, my god :(

And it occurs to me I don't even have the elite I need to clear for summoner's memory crystal UNLOCKED. Fuuuuuuuuck

vvvv Honestly, considering how game-changing the black mage rm2 is, I am totally okay with it being locked behind grinding his terrible rear end up and dragging him through the elite Hein fight. I don't know if I'll feel the same about these others (except Edgar and Sabin, I KNOW they're ultimately a waste of my time :suicide: )

gently caress, Josef's rm2 is only going to do me any good if 1) I get the Vega 42's for Sazh in the Lightning event and he permanently replaces Wakka, or 2) Wakka's memory crystal gets released and I'm somehow magically caught up enough to get it. Reeeeaaally hoping for the first case, because Wakka is a garbage idiot fucker that I hate (strong videogame feelings).

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 3, 2015

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I'm annoyed because I know I'm not going to use him again and then I have to do the same for White Mage, Summoner, Josef, and other bad characters with good RM2s. I know they aren't exactly essential, but a lot of masteries and some completions get much harder when black mages and white mages can't use their abilities to help that much. And I don't have the orbs for good honing. I can see why they implemented this system, but it feels way too grindy in the implementation.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Anyone here successfully beat the boss rush without Sabin and Edgar at 50? I really want them to have MC slots for Double Hit/etc, but I'm not sure I want to blow the eggs (or a mythril on the last few hours of the exp daily) on them.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Hot drat, I really want to Master Engine Room for that free Dark Buster. How do I do that besides bringing fire and trying not to die?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Carbuncle!

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Dark Buster just takes a few Power and Non-Elemental orbs. You can probably get them pretty easily through story dungeons and dailies. I also don't think it's that great. I only ever carried it when the target score of a dungeon involved Blind.

Was there a really easy to get free Carbuncle or something? Because it looks like it's going to take me a very long time to craft and I see tons of people with it.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Dark Buster just takes a few Power and Non-Elemental orbs. You can probably get them pretty easily through story dungeons and dailies. I also don't think it's that great. I only ever carried it when the target score of a dungeon involved Blind.

Was there a really easy to get free Carbuncle or something? Because it looks like it's going to take me a very long time to craft and I see tons of people with it.

Yeah, there was, during the Garnet/Vivi event.

EDIT: You should craft it when you can anyway. Carbuncle is So Good™.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

widespread posted:

Hot drat, I really want to Master Engine Room for that free Dark Buster. How do I do that besides bringing fire and trying not to die?

The lower-right one is also weak to Ice and Water. Try to bring magic protection since Bio hurts. No tentacle absorbs Poison, so if you have Carbuncle you can get damage from that and also protect yourself from Bio. Possibly bring a RW that does a really strong non-elemental AOE attack, like Spiral Cut or Shadow Flare. Focus fire on one tentacle at a time. Once the two lower ones are down, don't use non-Fire/Ice elements on the upper ones, they'll absorb it. They don't have any weaknesses, sadly. It's not too hard if you come prepared, but understandably it might be a bit overwhelming if you're not as far into the game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

pksage posted:

Anyone here successfully beat the boss rush without Sabin and Edgar at 50? I really want them to have MC slots for Double Hit/etc, but I'm not sure I want to blow the eggs (or a mythril on the last few hours of the exp daily) on them.

Definitely do as much of the EXP as you can anyway, the EX fights are pretty rough this time, honestly.

Just managed to beat the Blue Dragon. Cloud and Quistis took care of the offense with lightning skills on both slots and a Sentinel Friend SB, Minotaur Plate Shellga SB, and Magic Break on Sabin was JUST enough to cut its AoE spells down. I don't think the fight is possible without some form of Shellga so bring Arc if you weren't lucky enough to draw Shellga armor.

Even with lightning constantly being thrown round and doing like 25k damage per turn I only got 2/3 Actions medals. EX+ requirements are nuts.

• Locked thread