Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arctos
May 10, 2008

mrking posted:

Did they release some new information about perks that I missed or we just arguing the pros and cons of how we think its going to work?

Yeah in case anyone is still wondering that skill/perk stuff posted a couple of pages back is all speculation by the fine folks at the bethesda official forums based mostly on the trailer and e3 footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's my incredibly detailed thesis statement about the proper way to implement the VATs, skill, perk, and combat systems, which I'm basing off of 40 minutes of video and ~4 pages of text, I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I hope VATS target selection makes more sense than in 3/NV. If they are still moving, cycling endlessly through limbs trying to select the head will be incredibly frustrating. I can't really understand why they didn't just make a one column list off to one side for target selections.

I wonder if full-stop VATS will be a perk option? Like, you start with say a 25% slowdown and ranks move it to 50, 75 and 100%. I think that would make and interesting optional investment for perks.

EDIT: For pacifist characters they could add a perk that allows you to calm down enemies like raiders and start a dialogue where you offer money now with a promise of more later if they don't kill you. Something like Voice of the Emperor in Skyrim. Then, turn them in to some bounty hunters and have them killed on the sly.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 2, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NofrikinfuN posted:

I wonder if full-stop VATS will be a perk option? Like, you start with say a 25% slowdown and ranks move it to 50, 75 and 100%. I think that would make and interesting optional investment for perks.

That's a cool idea. You could maybe tie it to PER too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Flaky posted:

ugh bet those Mirelurks dont even have 1000 lines of personalised context specific dialogue remind me why would I want to even play this game???

Sunless Sea mod lookin good'

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also I'm not super worried about the perk tree because it'll be really easy to rebalance it all you gotta do is change some numbers around. It'll take a like a week if you wanna do lots of testing of different numbers.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shugojin posted:

Also I'm not super worried about the perk tree because it'll be really easy to rebalance it all you gotta do is change some numbers around. It'll take a like a week if you wanna do lots of testing of different numbers.

I would normally feel the same way, but I'm 100% going to be playing this one on a console. Still, I think Bethesda will probably make an at least somewhat entertaining game. Skyrim's flaws didn't really show until the end of a ~40 hour playthrough, which I would call a very successful game overall.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Enemies look like they take cover and get mauled by dogs, but I hope that means they got rid of their ability to move so darn erratically at high speeds while shooting. Probably the worst thing about shooting things in the 3d fallouts.

If they wanted people to shoot things other than heads, they should have made limbs easier to cripple without a railway rifle. Three full VATS bursts from a assault rifle won't be enough to cripple or kill a sprinting super mutant, but it might kill him if aimed at the head.

God drat it Bethesda, show me some real gameplay!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sector_corrector posted:

I would normally feel the same way, but I'm 100% going to be playing this one on a console. Still, I think Bethesda will probably make an at least somewhat entertaining game. Skyrim's flaws didn't really show until the end of a ~40 hour playthrough, which I would call a very successful game overall.

Morrowind was the last good console port they made so I don't know why you'd do that to yourself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

big mean giraffe posted:

Morrowind was the last good console port they made so I don't know why you'd do that to yourself.

Because a next gen console is cheaper than a gaming PC? Also Morrowind was the only console port, the rest of their games where designed with consoles in mind from the beginning.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
PCs are getting cheaper all the time and the PS4 and Xbone have been out almost 2 years already, there's probably not much price difference between a console and a comparable PC at this point. Or a less powerful PC that you can then get an upgraded graphics card for.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's not like you have to replace all the components when you upgrade either.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

Because a next gen console is cheaper than a gaming PC? Also Morrowind was the only console port, the rest of their games where designed with consoles in mind from the beginning.

Partially this, and partially that my current laptop has enough power to do everything I need for work, and Bloodborne being a PS4 exclusive. Also due to my current living situation I was able to split the cost of a PS4 to make it ridiculously cheap.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

2house2fly posted:

PCs are getting cheaper all the time and the PS4 and Xbone have been out almost 2 years already, there's probably not much price difference between a console and a comparable PC at this point. Or a less powerful PC that you can then get an upgraded graphics card for.

Or you can just buy PS4 and not have to waste your time upgrading a giant calculator.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JackBadass posted:

Or you can just buy PS4 and not have to waste your time upgrading a giant calculator.

Calculators are cool.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Andrast posted:

Calculators are cool.

And expensive as all hell.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
But will probably outlast a console that will be replaced in 2-4 years by the next model.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Which discussion is worse, PC vs. console or FO3 vs. NV?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

But will probably outlast a console that will be replaced in 2-4 years by the next model.

I doubt it, the PS3&Xbox 360 generation lasted a lot longer than that. Computers aren't getting as impressive upgrades as they did in the past, moores law seem to be slowing down. I bet the current generation lasts 8-10 years or more.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Crabtree posted:

It's 6-7 years, actually.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Rutibex posted:

I doubt it, the PS3&Xbox 360 generation lasted a lot longer than that. Computers aren't getting as impressive upgrades as they did in the past, moores law seem to be slowing down. I bet the current generation lasts 8-10 years or more.

Yeah. How long did the PS2 last? Wasn't it like 11-14 years or something like that?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hell the PS2 had a crazy long support life. Console generations are pretty long these days.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I miss my PS2, had it for a few years, it never failed once. Built my first computer in 2000, was obsolete within two years. Few things more frustrating that saying "Oh, that's a cool looking game 'sees system requirements', but it would eat my computer alive DAMMIT".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sounds like the way to build the standard "Guns, Lockpicking, Speech" character in this is to start off with at least 6 in Agility, Charisma, and Perception, than get 3 points in Lockpick, Commando or Gunslinger, and Local Leader (because bobbleheads will probably give you one rank in the related skill, so why bother maxing them), and then get whatever else you want from there. Should take 9 levels to get all that junk. Hopefully, the perks give you additional benefits asides from a boring %increase to accuracy or speech checks, like how TES IV: Oblivion gave you perks every 25 points into a skill.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Calculator games are cheaper on average though. That said, an OK to decent gaming PC, a monitor and a copy of windows (unless upgrading Win7 or later desktop) will run you around $1000 in US (YMMV pricing in other countries). Plus it is somewhat more hassle to deal with.

Payoff is pretty awesome too especially for Fallout and modding.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

oblomov posted:

Payoff is pretty awesome too especially for Fallout and modding.

You mean that thing console players are also getting?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

JackBadass posted:

You mean a watered down, filtered product the consoles are getting?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JackBadass posted:

Yeah. How long did the PS2 last? Wasn't it like 11-14 years or something like that?

There was about 5 years between it coming out in the US and the PS3 coming out.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

You mean a watered down, filtered product the consoles are getting?

[citation needed]

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

computer parts posted:

There was about 5 years between it coming out in the US and the PS3 coming out.

I'm talking about total lifespan of the PS2, which lasted until like a couple years ago.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

JackBadass posted:

lol if you think thats actually happening as described by the pr machine

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There is no way that the consoles will get the same modding environment as the PC because consoles are very much locked down.

I mean whether or not the PC modding environment is a good thing is... debatable.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mazreal posted:

lol if you think thats actually happening as described by the pr machine

Didn't think I'd have to use this again...

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, I'm sure graphics mods aren't going to be a thing on consoles. I suppose if someone spends a lot of time optimizing the poo poo out of the textures, maybe, but I doubt you're gonna be getting the crazy 4K textures you see in Skyrim texture replacements.

In addition, I'm wondering how or if script extenders would work on consoles, as they're required for a lot of mods with more complex things.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, I'm sure graphics mods aren't going to be a thing on consoles. I suppose if someone spends a lot of time optimizing the poo poo out of the textures, maybe, but I doubt you're gonna be getting the crazy 4K textures you see in Skyrim texture replacements.

In addition, I'm wondering how or if script extenders would work on consoles, as they're required for a lot of mods with more complex things.

Oh boy... 4K...

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

JackBadass posted:

[citation needed]

There is common sense though. They will have to have mods curated first. That's perhaps is not bad considering some poo poo on Nexus. The thing though a lot of more complex mods use various extenders to the game which I cant see working on consoles.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

JackBadass posted:

Oh boy... 4K...

Eh, I have a 21x9 monitor at 3440 X 1440 and I love it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
PCs last a lot longer nowadays compared to a few years ago, for games. I built mine like 5 years ago and I haven't had to upgrade anything yet and I can play any game on high settings still. Companies just arent pushing graphics hard anymore so there's no real reason to replace your hardware very often

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If you think Microsoft or Sony are going to allow completely open modding on any game on their systems you are smoking some pretty powerful crack.

Zzulu posted:

PCs last a lot longer nowadays compared to a few years ago, for games. I built mine like 5 years ago and I haven't had to upgrade anything yet and I can play any game on high settings still. Companies just arent pushing graphics hard anymore so there's no real reason to replace your hardware very often

I guarantee that if you're playing Witcher or Arkham Knight on high on a 5 year old PC you're getting poo poo framerates. You need a 970 for Witcher on highest even with the hair poo poo disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

big mean giraffe posted:

I guarantee that if you're playing Witcher or Arkham Knight on high on a 5 year old PC you're getting poo poo framerates. You need a 970 for Witcher on highest even with the hair poo poo disabled.

If you're playing Arkham Knight at all you're probably getting poo poo frame rates.

• Locked thread