Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Because the series isn't over yet, meaning the story either just stops or they invent an anime-original ending.

ah true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

It's a completely standalone Lupin adventure.

Great, 40 or so minutes of Lupin is about perfect. I have a hard time watching much at once which is why I got bogged down with Fujiko and never finished.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

The first tv series is pretty cool, it's real rough around the edges but to me that adds a lot of charm.

The most recent Lupin thing (Jigen's Gravestone) is a nice followup to Fujiko, it's only 40 minutes but it uses a similar style.

Mystery of Mamo is a movie that gets real strange at times, but I love the way it gets really out there (One of the very first lines is Zenigata yelling out: "So Lupin, you thought you could become immortal like Dracula!?")

The Fuma Conspiracy is good if you want something with a similar tone to Cagliostro.

Episode 0: First Contact is also pretty decent.

Excellent, thank you. I'mma probably go with Jigen's first, then dive into the first series.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nehezir posted:

Honestly sounds like an improvement.

But in all seriousness, that could transition into most slice of life dramas or comedies.

It's been a while but yeah. My biggest

complaint is that the characters are broken people from the start. If we'd seen them develop their problems as the show progresses, instead of in flashbacks, it coukd have been much more powerful.

This is a good point, but I find it could close off opportunities foe character redemption. I want tsundere characters to have consequences for their actions more than I want them to stop being made entirely. Throwing them out is like tossing a tool in the trash instead of just fixing how you use it.

Also, glorification is just such a buzz word I would hate to touch it.

I whole heartedly extend that invitation to bite my rear end.

i-its not like i want to beat my wife....baka

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I def don't want to read your posts, though

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Or my own

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Namtab posted:

Or my own

But at least yours are concise and easy to read.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

boom boom boom posted:

What the gently caress is up with Dark Horse not releasing stuff? Vol. 8 of Blood Blockade Battlefront has been out in Japan fro a loving year a half, and they haven't even announced a US release date.

What's Dakr Horse's loving problem?
To be fair in Drifters' case, Hirano only churns out like a volume a year.

What I don't get is how we have to wait a year and some change to get it next.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
It will be a sad day when gintama ends

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not that it matters, but I'm sure I've at least doubled my postcount since new, good ADTRW

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

nehezir posted:

I whole heartedly extend that invitation to bite my rear end.
Forums poster Nehezir encouraging cannibalism.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

please only quote a maximum of two people in your posts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please stop replying to the crazy tsundere person

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Wizard's Soul is so great.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bad Seafood posted:

Forums poster Nehezir encouraging cannibalism.

Does that classify as domestic violence or slapstick violence?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Meme Emulator posted:

Is that Bangai-o spirits? I remember that being a really bizzare and tiny sequel

Original Bangai-O. I wish they would make a full sequel in the original style, or an HD remake that is actually an HD remake and not some weird thing that isn't actually an HD remake.

Still, Spirits is also pretty great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

Great, 40 or so minutes of Lupin is about perfect. I have a hard time watching much at once which is why I got bogged down with Fujiko and never finished.

If you want more Lupin stuff after that, you can just hit up the older tv series since they're all standalone episodes. No fuss with an overarching story arc, entire stories over in 24 minutes or your money back.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Does that classify as domestic violence or slapstick violence?

both of those trigger me, I cannot tell them apart

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Wizard's Soul is so great.

Yeah I love it so far. My guess is she's just gonna keep clobbering people though. I hope that doesn't get boring but I understand why it's gonna happen.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Endorph posted:

please stop replying to the crazy tsundere person

Fine. I'll stop. Its not like namtab has posted any real arguments in a while.

Besides, my internet is making GBS threads out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Srice posted:

If you want more Lupin stuff after that, you can just hit up the older tv series since they're all standalone episodes. No fuss with an overarching story arc, entire stories over in 24 minutes or your money back.
I regret not checking out Lupin sooner due to my foolish distaste for episodic storytelling in my youth.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I love it so far. My guess is she's just gonna keep clobbering people though. I hope that doesn't get boring but I understand why it's gonna happen.

I hope the card aspect doesn't overshadow the romance. AkistarEda is very good at romance.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Excellent, thank you. I'mma probably go with Jigen's first, then dive into the first series.

Good.

The first series has a unique soundtrack, that really gives it one hell of a personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQI2_4oUjsg

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

Yeah I've watched bits and pieces of the various tv series, the newer stuff is nicer to look at though :shobon:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nehezir posted:

Much like your posting haha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Much like your posting haha

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

nehezir posted:

Fine. I'll stop. Its not like namtab has posted any real arguments in a while.

Droyer posted:

I hope the card aspect doesn't overshadow the romance. AkistarEda is very good at romance.

But that'll hurt her card power! :ohdear:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i saw a vinyl for one of the lupin iii soundtracks for sale once but by the time i'd gotten money to buy it it was gone :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah I've watched bits and pieces of the various tv series, the newer stuff is nicer to look at though :shobon:

Yah.

I've been looking forward to that new tv series for awhile, sounds like this Fall we'll finally be getting it. The very few tidbits they've released look quite nice!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Med5td_S-1c

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Eh, it's not actually a card battle manga, despite having the trappings of one, so I'm OK with that. That's not where the important conflict comes from.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I hope they actually make the card game from the manga

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I stopped posting real arguments around the time you made the argument:

IF lolicon = paedophilia
THEN slapstick = domestic violence

What can I really do with that level of cognitive dissonance?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Eh, it's not actually a card battle manga, despite having the trappings of one, so I'm OK with that. That's not where the important conflict comes from.

Yeah I'm OK with it too but I do enjoy the card battles for what they are.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's like godwin only with paedophilia

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

I stopped posting real arguments around the time you made the argument:

IF lolicon = paedophilia
THEN slapstick = domestic violence

What can I really do with that level of cognitive dissonance?

Why did you continue

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I'm OK with it too but I do enjoy the card battles for what they are.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Linnaeus posted:

Why did you continue

Can't stop, won't stop

• Locked thread