Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ended up with Libertalia, 7 Wonders, Love Letter, Castles of Burgundy and Dixit from the Amazon sale. Sounds like a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey, speaking of Argent I just got my first game in today. It was a three player game, all newbies (myself included) using the default school layout from the instruction manual, and not counting the time I spent eating a salad and brushing up on the rules I'd say that total playtime, counting me explaining the rules to everyone else, was four hours. Here are my thoughts in no particular order.

First off, to everyone saying that the readability of various pieces is questionable and the brass bases were a bad decision, you're absolutely right. This didn't cause us any serious problems but it was noticeable and it would really have helped matters if purple and red along with light blue and light grey weren't so similar and the bases were color coded for the player factions instead of relying on those tiny little tabs to make it clear. Games need to be legible game designers, especially ones with as many moving parts as this one. I too may have to look into painting or adding stickers to the bases in order to help improve things.

Second, as everyone has stated this game's footprint is huge. I think that when I bring it to board gaming on Tuesday I'm going to need to think about how to arrange things to accommodate four or five players, but there's just so much stuff going on that we may wind up getting pretty cozy with one another.

Thirdly, this game is the bane of people with analysis paralysis issues. The other two players were taking like 5-7 minutes to take a single turn and it was like guys, come on, for all the moving parts there are a limited number of things you can attempt to do on a turn. You have a fast action anything? No? Then move on to standard actions. You gonna take a Bell Tower card? No? Gonna play a spell? No? Then place a mage and let's get on with it. I mean I get it, I do...this isn't a worker placement game where you can just plonk your meeple down and it's a done deal, you have to consider whether you want to place your green or blue mage, do you want to use a spell to wound some of their mages instead, etc. That's fine, but nonetheless I managed to take my turns within a minute or two and I find myself wondering what the holdup is, it's not like I'm some game savant super-genius. It's the same with Kemet too. I'd love to integrate a sand timer or something to keep things brisk but I know as sure as I know anything that it would cause the most AP prone people to have panic attacks and feel like they're being unduly pressured.

I mean, for playing my first ever game and not agonizing over every move I feel like I acquitted myself pretty well. I came in second with four votes to the winner's five, third place had three, so nobody ran away with it and nobody got blown out. I also had only a single Mark the whole game compared to the winner's four, so I had less of an idea of what to aim for and I still did pretty well by employing some common sense and gathering lots of spells which, among other things, secured me three votes based on "most cards of a particular school." It helped that my known voter was going to give his vote out for most Intelligence, which is integral to spells, and that spells are really loving sweet and useful so why wouldn't I buy the ability to fireball stuff or slow down time? I could have won if I'd spent less mana on the last round or chased Influence Points a bit more, but it didn't feel like everything I did was for naught, which is a good way to lose a game in my opinion.

Interestingly enough, there wasn't much bloodshed. All of us had red mages (one was even the character who gets two to start with) but throughout the game red mages were the least employed special ability. I was the one who sent people to the infirmary the most, mainly through spells, and I was surprised that I didn't get much retaliation for it. One of the players had a complaint that getting mages wounded and sent to the infirmary was too debilitating since they didn't automatically come back to your pool at the start of a new round, but the fact is that all three of us had access to abilities which could get our guys out of wizard sick bay or prevent the damage outright and the game ended with all of one of his mages in there, so I dunno, I'm inclined to think that it works fine as-is. Maybe the B-side of the Infirmary would be more to his liking since you get to put wounded mages to use, I dunno. He also didn't like the lack of readily available ways to recruit more mages but everyone starts with 5 and can only go up to max of 7 so I also don't know how big an issue that really is.

I was the only person at the table who came away from the game not going "that was fun...but man this game is so complex holy poo poo." I was honestly a little surprised that everybody thought it was this weird, stand-out game in terms of complexity but I'm used to playing things like 4E D&D and point-buy superhero RPGs and stuff so Argent's complexity seemed, to me, to be on the non-overwhelming side of crunchy. Obviously I agreed with their sentiment that this would be a hell of a thing to throw at someone whose previous boardgame experience is stuff like Munchkin or Monopoly, but they were asking me "what do you think, do you think this girl who's started coming to boardgame night is going to see all this and freak out?" and I had to say that well, she's played Kemet, Stone Age, and Tash-Kalar among other things and she asked to play this one specifically even after I mentioned that yeah, it's kind of high intensity, so I think it'll be fine. Basically I feel like if you can play one of those games then Argent isn't going to send you into an existential crisis.

The same guy with the complaints about the Infirmary also didn't like the Bell Tower card setup and said that the rounds felt "too short," but he says that about a lot of games and when a three player game takes four goddamn hours I think that's a sign that the last thing the game needs is more time added to it. I really do believe that a dedicated gaming group could hit the 30 minutes per player suggestion on the box if they could manage their turns in a timely fashion. I have no hope of us ever actually doing that, but I feel like the rounds have the appropriate length to them.

So how do I feel about it compared to, say, Stone Age (I think it's leagues better than Lords of Waterdeep, which I've also played)? Pretty good, honestly. Playing Argent felt less to me like trying to figure out an algorithm and more "tactical" for lack of a better word...reacting to an opponent's play by using your own special abilities, or chaining together a spell combo that clears a room and lets you move on in except now you're low on mana and the guy next to you just picked up the penultimate Bell Tower card, is the other player going to end the round early or let it ride, etc.

That being said, something I realized on the way back from the game store is that you can't really sit down afterward and think to yourself "here's what I'm gonna do next time I play Argent" like you can do with a game like Kemet, there's a decided lack of theorycrafting to be had because so much of Argent is randomly established at the start of the game...board layout, available treasures and spells, etc. With Kemet it's the same tiles and the same board so you can think to yourself "okay next time I'm going to try heavy red and white with lots of bloodshed and things that feed off enemies killed to generate prayer points, also I want a giant scorpion," but with Argent you have to approach each new game fresh. I can see how to some people this might be a drawback since it limits your ability to strategize between games. Right now, with the bloom still on the rose, I appreciate the fact that each new game had the potential to provide a vastly different experience, especially with A- and B-sides to everything.

Argent is a game that I'm eager to play again, both to see what happens the next time and introduce some new players to it, but I have to admit that it doesn't quite reach the level of "game that I would always push for when everyone is milling around wondering what we should play." It's a long game and it's, for some, an intense game and it has a big tablespace requirement. It feels like a game where you need to decide whether you want to play one game of Argent or two or maybe three other games in the same span of time. I would definitely call it a good game whose biggest flaws are a profusion of physical components and some bad design decisions with regards to readability. I certainly don't feel like I wasted my money, but we'll see how many plays I get out of it.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 2, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

One of the players had a complaint that getting mages wounded and sent to the infirmary was too debilitating since they didn't automatically come back to your pool at the start of a new round, but the fact is that all three of us had access to abilities which could get our guys out of wizard sick bay or prevent the damage outright and the game ended with all of one of his mages in there, so I dunno, I'm inclined to think that it works fine as-is

Check out the faq!

quote:

-Do mages in the Infirmary return to you during the Resolution? Yes, all mages return to your office during the Resolution phase. They receive their Sympathy Bonus when sent to the Infirmary, so these mages are already "resolved" and all mages return to you in Resolution once resolved.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1314204/official-erratatypofaq-list

They could have been clearer about that in the rules

Played a few rounds of cube quest, with the winner staying at the table and challengers rotating in. Game is pretty god drat fun, although we spent a lot of time on the ground picking the things up and I think safety goggles would actually be a good idea, the way we play at least. I'm really excited about Catacombs and Flick 'Em Up

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Check out the faq!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1314204/official-erratatypofaq-list

They could have been clearer about that in the rules

What in the absolute gently caress. The rulebook says nothing about this that I could find and I went over it multiple times, it mentioning that mages can only leave the infirmary when healed and/or banished. Well poo poo. I don't think it would have made a huge difference in how the game shook out but he'll be pleased to know this I'm sure, thanks for the heads up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

bobvonunheil posted:

Today I played a game of Roll for the Galaxy that just completely fell flat.

I started with an Alien world, a Novelty world and a consumption die, and by the second turn I'd popped out another Novelty world and was using the three to get 5 VP a turn and enough money to just get all those spent dice back immediately whenever a Produce/Ship combination came up.

It didn't feel like my opponents ever had the remotest chance to compete, and it's made me go from really enjoying the game to feeling like there are pretty major balance problems with it. I guess in any tableau builder you'll get unfair combinations but to start with something this good out the gate just felt unfair.

At least it's one less game I feel the need to buy now.

Produce/consume is very powerful with the right setup. Your opponents should have seen what you were doing and built to take advantage of you calling those phases. Grab developments that profit on them, get a minor produce/consume engine themselves, etc. It's the same issue that Race has; you cannot ignore what your opponent is doing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

thespaceinvader posted:

I need to try Twilight Imperium one of these days but my group doesn't own it D:

I'm selling it and the expansions on board game geek if you're in the UK. Can't say I'm having much luck. It's one of those games you really need to be committed to playing.

In other news they've just announced a new Descent Journeys In The Dark expansion! It looks like it's a big box one since it has 3 lieutenant and 3 new monster types. Means that it should be adding four new classes. I wonder if or when they'll get around to a small box to equal up the number of Mages/Healers with Fighters/Rogues?
I really really like those bone horrors.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Played a few new-to-me games lately.

First was Ninjato, about ninjas robbing from noble houses to get stuff to bribe court officials or buy special cards to decide which house gets the throne - I think it's set during a civil war but that's very light. It's a worker (well, ninja) placement, seven rounds and three ninjas per round, so the pace is pretty tight. There's lots to do - you need to get new ninja cards to rob houses, learn secret techniques for the same reason, rob the houses (and depending on how well you do, this might allow you to change their influence), and bribe the officials and buy the special rumour cards which give you various bonuses. After rounds three, five, and seven, there's bonuses for players who control the three houses. We played it twice and came to the conclusion that buying ninja techniques is a bit of a waste and rumour cards are really the way to go. My favourite thing was probably that the last player who drew new cards (which costs an action) is the first player in the next round, so there's a tradeoff between getting cards and being more flexible now, or going first later.

Alien Frontiers (an app version) about rolling dice to represent your ships trying to colonise an alien planet. Higher isn't always better, and doubles and triples give you bonuses. However, I got really screwed by bad rolls at the beginning, and my friend had great rolls, which really soured it at first. At one point he had 6VPs and I had 0, and he won with 12VPs. There was also a problem with the resources - there are two, and I had lots of ore but no solar energy. Unfortunately, because I had so much ore, I tripped the resource limit - despite the fact that with my zero solar energy I could barely do anything - and the app seemed to remove solar energy first, so I was screwed until I got some lucky rolls and could get rid of some ore. Both of those issues are stuff you could fix in the boardgame version, but as an app there's not a lot you can do. It's a shame because the rest of the game seemed pretty good!

Also Seven Wonders, which was surprisingly light and quick. We only played one game but there didn't seem to be that many interesting decisions to make, despite the number of moving pieces in the game. I think I must be missing something - we played with the A boards cos it was everyone's first time, if that explains that - but I see so many people talking about it there must be something more. Maybe just cos it was our first time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Taear posted:

I'm selling it and the expansions on board game geek if you're in the UK. Can't say I'm having much luck. It's one of those games you really need to be committed to playing.

In other news they've just announced a new Descent Journeys In The Dark expansion! It looks like it's a big box one since it has 3 lieutenant and 3 new monster types. Means that it should be adding four new classes. I wonder if or when they'll get around to a small box to equal up the number of Mages/Healers with Fighters/Rogues?

Send me a link I might think about it - but I'm going out of the country for two weeks in a week so it will have to wait til I get back.

Descent was just so meh last time I played it. D2e is better than 1e, but the whole time I was just thinking 'Mage Knight is so much better for basically the same theme, I just wish it was short enough to play in an evening'.

I gather the Shades of Tezla expansion has some 1-day-1-night missions which might be!

E: the Bone Horror has a pelvis for a face that's almost cute.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

thespaceinvader posted:

Send me a link I might think about it - but I'm going out of the country for two weeks in a week so it will have to wait til I get back.

Descent was just so meh last time I played it. D2e is better than 1e, but the whole time I was just thinking 'Mage Knight is so much better for basically the same theme, I just wish it was short enough to play in an evening'.

I gather the Shades of Tezla expansion has some 1-day-1-night missions which might be!

E: the Bone Horror has a pelvis for a face that's almost cute.

I still can't find Tezla in the UK.

Mage Knight is really really different though since it's much more solitary. Part of the fun of Descent is 2/4 of you trying to outwit the Overlord player.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
Play tested Galaxy Trucker mini expansion. Some new tiles! The new tiles are all detrimental. Heavy load takes off some engine score, explosives blow up 8 surrounding tiles, artifacts nullify abilities of pieces in row and or column ( I will use bead markers to remind me what isn't working) Fragile cargo (beer bottles) and radioactive cargo ( no batteries or peeps in surrounding 8). Mission cards which give bonuses for a type of cargo delivered penalties for destruction and that sort of thing. There are super event cards which go in the mystery fourth pile which have unique effects e.g. Meteors coming in on all lines on 2 sides etc. Seemed fun. You only put in the new tiles that a mission states.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So basically the new expansion is stuff that was in the App version of GT, that's pretty cool :)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Kai Tave posted:

So how do I feel about it compared to, say, Stone Age (I think it's leagues better than Lords of Waterdeep, which I've also played)? Pretty good, honestly. Playing Argent felt less to me like trying to figure out an algorithm and more "tactical" for lack of a better word...reacting to an opponent's play by using your own special abilities, or chaining together a spell combo that clears a room and lets you move on in except now you're low on mana and the guy next to you just picked up the penultimate Bell Tower card, is the other player going to end the round early or let it ride, etc.

First off, awesome write-up. I wish I had taken some additional time and effort to write up my experience in as much depth as you did. Second, I agree that it compares favorably to Stone Age or Waterdeep, but that's almost damning with faint praise. Either one of those fall onto the lower spectrum of worker placement games in my book.

I feel that in most WP games, I generally have enough information by the second round as to how the game is going to play out, and I can develop a strategy that is suited towards that particular game at that time. Argent goes against that, and it felt that every round I was focusing on a different voting card while hoping to gain enough random other things to do well in case those categories came up. I felt a *little* directionless and that I was just throwing poo poo against the wall to see what would stick, and the other players felt more or less the same way. I'm not of the opinion that every WP game should follow the same type of plot progression, or that there are certain notes that need to be hit in order to make things work. However, I'm also not confident that Argent's design represents an innovative take on the WP formula.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Big McHuge posted:

First off, awesome write-up. I wish I had taken some additional time and effort to write up my experience in as much depth as you did. Second, I agree that it compares favorably to Stone Age or Waterdeep, but that's almost damning with faint praise. Either one of those fall onto the lower spectrum of worker placement games in my book.

I feel that in most WP games, I generally have enough information by the second round as to how the game is going to play out, and I can develop a strategy that is suited towards that particular game at that time. Argent goes against that, and it felt that every round I was focusing on a different voting card while hoping to gain enough random other things to do well in case those categories came up. I felt a *little* directionless and that I was just throwing poo poo against the wall to see what would stick, and the other players felt more or less the same way. I'm not of the opinion that every WP game should follow the same type of plot progression, or that there are certain notes that need to be hit in order to make things work. However, I'm also not confident that Argent's design represents an innovative take on the WP formula.

Play it a few more times. There are good generalist things to go for regardless of who the voters are (ip, supporters, money, mana, int, wis, powerful spells/items), and as you get marks, the additional information refines your strategy.

The hidden victory conditions are honestly what make Argent work. You're meant to feel a bit directionless at the beginning, and you only gain a direction by spending resources to get marks. On the other hand, if you spend too many resources on marks, you'll lose votes because you don't have enough stuff. Ideally you get information about the votes you don't know by watching your opponents, but that's not guaranteed.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Back from my local areas board game meetup, and I actually got to play Cthulhu Wars thanks to a nice man with more money than sense.

I was actually ready to hate the game, but it was actually a really good experience. People learned the rules on the first round, but there was enough complexity to keep us thinking, and things stayed close for the whole game. I waltzed round the world with my King in Yellow dancing with zombies and avoiding combat, which seems to be the best best with Yellow since their troops suck. Mechanics wise it's a step up from Risk, but massively more enjoyable. There is dice rolling but outcomes are reasonably predicable. The big draw is the models, which are great fun to move about. Seriously, dropping something the size of a pint glass down on the board is worth the time investment to play by itself. Financially though, the game definitely isn't worth it, but if you can find someone with a copy I recommend a whirl.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I played two games of Dungeon Lords tonight, scoring 46 and -1. Enjoyed them both equally, it's such a good game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Someone wanna give me a quick rundown onnnnnn???

Age of Conan Strategy Game
Mice and Mystics
Tragedy Looper

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Dirk the Average posted:

Produce/consume is very powerful with the right setup. Your opponents should have seen what you were doing and built to take advantage of you calling those phases. Grab developments that profit on them, get a minor produce/consume engine themselves, etc. It's the same issue that Race has; you cannot ignore what your opponent is doing.

B-but multiplayer solitaire! :cry:

But seriously, reading your opponents is really key due to the way Produce and Ship work. You can get away with a lot if you can catch them in an off-cycle and get an extra produce in. This doesn't really work in Race since the order is reversed and you can't ever consume what you just produced. It's why Roll's endgame is so abrupt.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

signalnoise posted:

Someone wanna give me a quick rundown onnnnnn???

Tragedy Looper

I don't think anyone could do better than this guy for a tragedy looper rundown: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1233701/tragedy-looper-review-or-people-assume-games-are-s

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Played Kemet for the first time and it owns, seems like there are a ton of viable strategies. But is there any reason to ever not take the white level 1 tile that makes all your tiles cost 1 less because that seems like far and away the best turn 1 play you could make

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I take the "upgrade your pyramid for free each night" for my first action. Every time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Played Kemet for the first time and it owns, seems like there are a ton of viable strategies. But is there any reason to ever not take the white level 1 tile that makes all your tiles cost 1 less because that seems like far and away the best turn 1 play you could make

It's a good pickup, but if were later than #2 in the turn order I would probably prioritize +1 att/+1 def first. You do NOT want to be the only guy without a combat upgrade in the first day or two.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kai Tave posted:

Thirdly, this game is the bane of people with analysis paralysis issues. The other two players were taking like 5-7 minutes to take a single turn and it was like guys, come on, for all the moving parts there are a limited number of things you can attempt to do on a turn. You have a fast action anything? No? Then move on to standard actions. You gonna take a Bell Tower card? No? Gonna play a spell? No? Then place a mage and let's get on with it. I mean I get it, I do...this isn't a worker placement game where you can just plonk your meeple down and it's a done deal, you have to consider whether you want to place your green or blue mage, do you want to use a spell to wound some of their mages instead, etc. That's fine, but nonetheless I managed to take my turns within a minute or two and I find myself wondering what the holdup is, it's not like I'm some game savant super-genius.

I think I'd enjoy playing Argent (or games in general really) with you. I'm the same way. I sometimes play with someone who is also like what you describe - he approaches every game like a math problem to be solved. That might even be what is fun for him. He doesn't consider himself to have AP. I mean, to him it's just sensible to evaluate every possible thing that can be done and in every possible combination and choose one. If you don't then you might as well just be playing randomly :confused:

To me, it appears that he just... is unable to form any kind of useful meta-strategy that would allow you to take shortcuts. Like, even in Alien Frontiers where you don't know exactly what you can do until the start of your turn it's possible to see what other players are doing & plan what you need to make happen the most in a general sense before you grab your dice.

To make matters worse, he loves combos and upgrades so anything he can buy to make more options for himself on his turns, he buys :haw:

Don't get me wrong, playing with clones of myself would be boring as hell, but I really can do without the players who take 5-7x longer to play their turns... and don't even have the win record to justify it.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Taear posted:

I think it's going to be a small box expansion. There are 3 vs 2 enemy groups, but there are no heroes or class additions, and it has "a full one-act campaign" so 6-8 adventures.

They said the expansion is targeted specifically to enhance the overlord, so maybe another starter overlord deck too? The article briefly goes over a way they've made PC deaths more consequential - the Overlord can hand them a face down card that flips over when they die, and has some nasty unique effect on top of a generic "tainted" curse.

Honestly I'm just kind of glad they're still showing support for it after Imperial Assault released.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Got my exploding kittens kickstarter.

Played with my son. Had fun.

Game gets really cutthroat once the kittens come out because you can place it anywhere in the deck after a defuse.

It will never be super deep, but it's still got some fun party game legs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dirk the Average posted:

Play it a few more times. There are good generalist things to go for regardless of who the voters are (ip, supporters, money, mana, int, wis, powerful spells/items), and as you get marks, the additional information refines your strategy.

The hidden victory conditions are honestly what make Argent work. You're meant to feel a bit directionless at the beginning, and you only gain a direction by spending resources to get marks. On the other hand, if you spend too many resources on marks, you'll lose votes because you don't have enough stuff. Ideally you get information about the votes you don't know by watching your opponents, but that's not guaranteed.

Yeah, I feel like this is the key right here. The voters are randomized but you automatically know three of them (Most Influence, Most Supporters, and your initial Mark), plus you have a cheat sheet that lists all the potential voters that could be there and a lot of it is common sense stuff. Having played Stone Age and Argent within five days of each other I can only say that in Stone Age I committed to a particular strategy for lack of any better idea of what to do (buying technology cards and tools along with tool bonus multipliers) and wound up losing by 40+ points while in Argent I came pretty close to winning without even acquiring another Mark during the game simply by doing things which seemed sensible like researching spells to do more interesting things and acquiring supporters for useful effects as well as gathering gold and mana to spend.

I suppose there are two ways to look at it depending on how charitable you feel. One is that Argent gives you enough flexibility in your approach that you don't have to lock yourself into a particular strategy (and indeed with 12 votes up for grabs it seems like laser-focusing on a single type of goal would be to your detriment) or that Argent has enough randomness in it that I was able to nearly win by simple dumb luck. I like to think it's the former rather than the latter, because I was doing more than just randomly grabbing poo poo, I was taking care to diversify my spell schools and secure more of X than my opponents, I simply wasn't sure which of those would garner me votes, so it seems like Argent provides a solid foundation for a "generalist" approach to victory.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I think I'd enjoy playing Argent (or games in general really) with you. I'm the same way. I sometimes play with someone who is also like what you describe - he approaches every game like a math problem to be solved. That might even be what is fun for him. He doesn't consider himself to have AP. I mean, to him it's just sensible to evaluate every possible thing that can be done and in every possible combination and choose one. If you don't then you might as well just be playing randomly :confused:

To me, it appears that he just... is unable to form any kind of useful meta-strategy that would allow you to take shortcuts. Like, even in Alien Frontiers where you don't know exactly what you can do until the start of your turn it's possible to see what other players are doing & plan what you need to make happen the most in a general sense before you grab your dice.

This is a good term for it, meta-strategy. Part of it I think is that I'm more willing to let stuff just slide off my back and not worry so much about every single thing my opponents do. Okay, he blasted my guy and sent him to the infirmary. Do I have anything that can deal with that? Do I want to use it y/n? Done, moving on to what I actually care about.

I say this as someone who's never won a single game of Kemet in the dozen games I've played of it, so maybe there's something to all the agonizing, but time spent deliberating over every single permutation and possibility doesn't seem to carry proportional benefits even so...the people spending 7 minutes on a turn aren't blowing everyone else out of the water even if they do wind up winning. I guess I'd rather play fast and imperfectly than making every turn into an agonizing decision. It seems less stressful too.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There is meta-strategy in games with highly randomized setup. Just look at roguelikes, and the insane level of expertise people have developed at those. The difference is that you cease to think in specific actions and more in patterns of response. It's more difficult because the possibility space is larger, but it's absolutely possible to develop hard strategy for these games.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I need to try Twilight Imperium one of these days but my group doesn't own it D:

If they fix how combat is handled, like a bit less nuts with dice everywhere, it'd probably be the best boardgame of all time.

Yeah I said it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Buckwheat Sings posted:

If they fix how combat is handled, like a bit less nuts with dice everywhere, it'd probably be the best boardgame of all time.

Yeah I said it.

And if they made the politics deck more interesting. And fixed the racial powers. And cut the time down to a realistic frame. And like a million other things.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

You definitely would not take it when the two people ahead of you in the turn order take it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Grabbed Flashpoint from the Amazon sale, I think its going to be a great game to play with some couples me and my wife play games with.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Part of the issue is that some people want to examine a possibility even if it's obvious there's a higher probability action out there. They also don't seem to trust the designer's ability not to end the game in their one massive play, and they keep looking for it. A friend of mine is like this and he's on the edge as far as gaming with him goes.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Well I played Bora Bora and guess what I liked it. :marc:

It's pretty much like Castles of Burgundy the sequel. But maybe with a little bit more potential to block other people. Feels a little bit like Troyes in that respect, but less ability to totally kick the stool out from underneath someone, I think. You can mitigate a lot of the fuckery with the god cards. We also played with the promo expansion which basically gives you CoB-style worker tokens each time you roll doubles, used to modify die results one pip up or down.

The battle for turn order feels super important, like CoB. The tasks you can draft and complete are pretty fun and add another dimension to the CoB style set collection/tile laying thingy.

Mrs. Fosbourne had no problems playing it but our friend was in super AP meltdown mode and seemingly tried to analyze every option available every step of the way which becomes pretty nutty when you have a few God cards. E: what Lorini said, basically. Analyzing options that are almost certainly not favorable, sort of like the Dominion player who plays actions every round even if they won't have any impact

Anyways, for a modern-euro group puzzle thingy I thought it was enjoyable.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 3, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Anybody familiar with thunderstone: advance and what AEG is doing with it, if anything?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Feeding all remaining copies into an industrial shredder hopefully.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The End posted:

Feeding all remaining copies into an industrial shredder hopefully.

Is this one of those touchy games itt or what

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
No, just a bad game

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The End posted:

No, just a bad game

cool thanks

I had fun with it as do my friends so that's promising help from the thread but are there any good recommendations for something similar but better

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

cool thanks

I had fun with it as do my friends so that's promising help from the thread but are there any good recommendations for something similar but better

there's this little game called dominion, you might have heard of it

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
In fairness, he might not have heard of Dominion if he's willing to use "I had fun" as a term of recommendation.

Thunderstone is a lovely clone of Dominion. Go buy and play Dominion. If you get bored of Dominion, buy and play Dominion: Intrigue, then Seaside, then Prosperity, then Cornucopia, then Hinterlands, then Dark Ages, then Guilds, then Adventures, then Alchemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Captain Foo posted:

cool thanks

Thunderstone combines a standard market with a market row (huge red flag right there). Each card has one or two currencies (another big problem) that lets you go to one market or the other. Additionally, the cards that are worth points can also do other useful things (the third badness).

It is generally understood at this point that deckbuilders need to be like Dominion (open market with engine slowdown via victory cards) or use it as a mechanic among others to create a more comprehensive game (Eminent Domain, Mage Knight).

Edit: Straight up recommendations require the following: what did you like about Thunderstone?