Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Miltank posted:

Y/N?
Lots of doctors lose money from medicare.

How many doctors currently refuse medicare patients?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2013/06/11/what-to-do-if-your-doctor-wont-take-medicare/ says 4% but that was 2013, maybe they've gone all fucko-bazooga since then and more are refusing medicare patients. It seems like they need the patients on one level or another or else that 4% would be a lot higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Only 99 hours left until the event of the century oh god I cant wait!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rear end cobra posted:

Only 99 hours left until the event of the century oh god I cant wait!!

At this point I think my expectation of the debate may outstrip the event itself.

...though, I've said that a lot in the last few years

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Leathal posted:

The big Koch fundraiser in CA he was tweeting about this morning is hilariously shady (the establishment GOP candidates were all present to kiss the rings and select journalists were only allowed to attend on the condition that they not report on the donors at all) so let's hope he brings it up during the debate.

I heard from Thom Hartmann that one of the Republican candidates was asked what they were doing to cut welfare in the midwest (or something to that effect) and he said "Sir, when I get to the pearly gates, I'm going to have to answer for what I've done to poor people." Does anyone know what candidate it was? They're all so interchangeable I forgot.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Jewel Repetition posted:

I heard from Thom Hartmann that one of the Republican candidates was asked what they were doing to cut welfare in the midwest (or something to that effect) and he said "Sir, when I get to the pearly gates, I'm going to have to answer for what I've done to poor people." Does anyone know what candidate it was? They're all so interchangeable I forgot.

It was Kasich

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/06/republicans-unhappy-kasich-called-them-monsters.html

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Miltank posted:

Y/N?

The American healthcare system is long overdue for an overhaul in billing, as it's currently structured in a spectacularly inefficient and damaging way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jewel Repetition posted:

I believe Kasich is the candidate whose heart has yet to fully petrify into a cold, black stone. So it was probably him.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Thanks, and wow. 20 of the donors just got up and left.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regarding how Jeb Bluth wants to "secure the border first," has anyone ever said what constitutes the border being "secure"?

Because I mean, you could make it MORE secure. You could make it so only one guy per day, on average, gets through. But that's three hundred and sixty five guys a year. That's technically not "secure."

So since "secure" is never defined, could you not indefinitely delay any and all immigration reforms and modifications, because the border will never reach some platonic ideal of security for more than a brief period of time?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nessus posted:

Regarding how Jeb Bluth wants to "secure the border first," has anyone ever said what constitutes the border being "secure"?

Because I mean, you could make it MORE secure. You could make it so only one guy per day, on average, gets through. But that's three hundred and sixty five guys a year. That's technically not "secure."

So since "secure" is never defined, could you not indefinitely delay any and all immigration reforms and modifications, because the border will never reach some platonic ideal of security for more than a brief period of time?

That's sorta the point; the infinitely movable goalpost of what determines "secure" exists as an excuse to never do the other stuff they claim they'd just love to do as soon as the border is fully secure.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Exactly, you two are talking about permanent membership in an underclass without the underclass itself being permanent.

I'm not trying to make this a semantic argument, but rather to distinguish the problem from one where not even their children would be full citizens, which is what some conservatives argue for and is therefore worth distinguishing.

Yes, but there will always be more immigrants, so the underclass itself will be permanent as well.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Arrowsmith posted:

Yes, but there will always be more immigrants, so the underclass itself will be permanent as well.

This is a better argument, but I don't think it's the best match for historical usage of the term.

A moot point, though, considering the conversation has already clarified what everybody means and is concerned about. At this point you really are just making a semantic argument.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm sure that he's still a shitheel, but :drat:. That takes guts to crash your career to let people know that they are assholes.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nessus posted:

Regarding how Jeb Bluth

The fact that GOB actually does date a Latina woman on the show makes this comparison more hilarious.

That begs the question though--if Jeb is GOB, who the hell is Michael? Cause it ain't his older brother George.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Alter Ego posted:

The fact that GOB actually does date a Latina woman on the show makes this comparison more hilarious.

That begs the question though--if Jeb is GOB, who the hell is Michael? Cause it ain't his older brother George.
George W is pretty obviously Buster.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

If you're pretty sure Biden won't run, you can just about double your money right now on PredictIt.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

JT Jag posted:

George W is pretty obviously Buster.

Neil is more Buster than W.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jewel Repetition posted:

Thanks, and wow. 20 of the donors just got up and left.

I love how my state's governor, Nikki Haley, was shaking her head at Kasich standing firm on this. You'd think someone raised in the Sikh tradition would be even more sensitive to this than most Christians, but gently caress it gotta get that filthy lucre.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

platzapS posted:

If you're pretty sure Biden won't run, you can just about double your money right now on PredictIt.

As tempting as it is to take this bet I think Sanders has muddied the waters of this primary enough for Diamond Joe to throw his hat back in the ring. If Joe thinks he has a shot at this thing, realistically this is the last year he could really make a run at it. Obama's approval ratings are just going up, his term is most likely going to end with him being a popular and well-liked president, and that translates to popularity for Biden. Biden couldn't have beaten Hillary by himself, but with Bernie's numbers where they are a third contestant in the race could make it anybody's ballgame.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 2, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bob Ojeda posted:

I mean this is pretty much entirely a semantic disagreement so whatever, there's no actual disagreement here

But my assumption when you say that there's a permanent underclass is that the class is permanent. That, if you create a permanent underclass, there will always be a group of citizens whose rights are taken away and who are exploited. That's the way I've seen it used.

but, again, who gives a poo poo, everyone agrees that the Jeb Bush proposal would create a group of people who would never be able to get full legal rights no matter what, which is the relevant thing to talk about here.

Well if you follow the proposed system, then there's always new people joining that class from other countries, until there aren't anymore people trying to get in. It's about as permanent as any human organization can be.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
So far the only evidence of Biden running is a swarm of articles that all link back to something Maureen fuckin' Dowd wrote.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

platzapS posted:

I'm kind of surprised that this site isn't more popular here. I've already made some good beer money off of deluded idiots. It's like a dream come true. The 2016 election is gonna make me a couple hundo easy.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I need ideas for themed snacks for my FOX debate viewing party.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Just write TRUMP on everything edible.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrWillsauce posted:

Have a 2-liter of Coke and a 2-liter of Diet Coke labeled "Charles Coke" and "David Coke", and a bottle of Jack Daniels labeled "GOP tears"

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MrWillsauce posted:

Trumpcakes - Huge, luxurious orange cupcakes with too much yellow frosting. Not what everyone thinks they want to start off with, but surprisingly popular by the end of the party.

ScottCheese - Just processed string cheese sticks tossed carelessly into a bowl. Flavorless, unpopular at home in wisconsin - easily the most worthless snack on the spread.

Bushmeat - Chicken Satays on a stick. No peanut sauce, since that would remind people of Carter. Hoping to make it big by just not being the worst thing to eat.

Marco Reubens - Shredded pork, ham, swiss, and saur kraut on marbled rye. Not kosher.

Huckabeans - Baked beans with extra salt pork. Seems like something you'd find at a church pot luck, but surprisingly popular with pedofiles.

Lil' Carsons - Petite devil's food lady fingers with a rich cream filling between them. Folks think they're intellectual and fancy, but really they're just Little Debbie Devil Creams that you've unwrapped and put on a plate.

GRAND PAUL - Beautiful, golden squares of marshmallow and cereal treats. The gold color is Captain Crunch.

Cruzin' for a Bruisin' - Banana Pudding made with really ripe bananas. Use off brand 'Nilla Wafers.

Kasichili - Cincinnati style chili. It's not the worst thing out there, and people really want to like it, but it's still loving chili you're expected to eat over spaghetti.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Not defending it, because of course you are right that public assistance = safety net. I wonder if they would be cut off from food stamps, but still get unemployment insurance? They would be paying into it from their jobs. But then again they would be paying taxes which presumably means they would be paying into the system there too, and they are clearly cut off from everything else.

Again generalizing, but it's true enough of the time, it's common for immigrants, especially recent ones, to live in multi generational households and the family structure is the de facto safety net. The countries most are coming from don't have safety nets, that's the families job. Overall its not perfect but a lot better than we have now. To me, it just sounds so....trying to think of the right word here.....idn, maybe realistic?

It doesn't have a chance with the average rabidly racist Republican primary voter. It's a gift to the big business faction though. Does that make it a 50/50 tossup then?

It's still only under 19% of immigrants living in multi-generational families, according to Pew. And this whole conversation is ignoring the DREAM debate going on in many states, the question of giving financial aid to undocumented children seeking to go to school. This serves as an immense backwards step to a population that particularly needs a helping hand, and is incredibly illiberal.

Miltank posted:

Y/N?

No.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 3, 2015

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

EugeneJ posted:

Have a 2-liter of Coke and a 2-liter of Diet Coke labeled "Charles Coke" and "David Coke", and a bottle of Jack Daniels labeled "GOP tears"

Also a packet of mentos for the moment you realize that there is a possibility that one of the fuckers onstage will be the president of USA and you decide to attempt a desperate yet pathetically futile attempt at suicide.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

platzapS posted:

It's not that I don't think he'll run so much as I don't think this is a perfect enough world for us to get both Joe Biden as the Democratic nominee and Donald Trump as the Republican.

I would give so much to see those debates.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's all but guaranteed that the next POTUS is going to have 'R' for a middle initial.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's all but guaranteed that the next POTUS is going to have 'R' for a middle initial.

Good news for Rick Perry.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jeb's middle initial is E though.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hillary's middle name is Diane.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Weltlich posted:

Marco Reubens - Shredded pork, ham, swiss, and saur kraut on marbled rye. Not kosher.

I think a bowl of Sugar Daddies would have done the trick for Rubio

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Weltlich posted:

<candidate themed foods>

Rickaritas - a traditional 3:2:1 tequila:triple sec:lime juice margarita with one ingredient left off at random from every mix.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Apparently Jeb! just referred to Clinton and DeBlasio as "exotic progressives".

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Miltank posted:

Y/N?

Medicare pays out okay but not great. Medicaid pays like poo poo and is basically charity. Private insurance is where it's all at for billing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Apparently Jeb! just referred to Clinton and DeBlasio as "exotic progressives".
I mean, DeBlasio kinda fits the bill? He's more progressive than most public officials of his level of prominence.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you are combining Medicare and Medicaid you also need to roll in the VA and any other federal heath services. You have one public single payer option that has 'free' (tax-subsidized) coverage as an entitlement for seniors and vets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

JT Jag posted:

I mean, DeBlasio kinda fits the bill? He's more progressive than most public officials of his level of prominence.

Agreed but "exotic" is a really odd descriptor in this instance, I think.

Had Cuomo or someone used it toward DeBlasio I would hear it as a dogwhistle reference to his diverse family, but I'm giving benefit of the doubt since Jeb! included Hillary.

• Locked thread