Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

WickedHate posted:

See also her and McIntosh's comments on Fallout 4 and Hotline Miami.

Was it over twitter? Because I have a sinking feeling McIntosh hijacks her twitter every time something doesn't agree with him. He has a real bug up his rear end for things he doesn't like. Which, as far as I can see, involves any kind of violence in any media ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I liked it when she called out Binary Domain for having a Japanese prostitute, because having a prostitute in a game is bad enough, but making the prostitute Asianand speak with an accent is racist and otherizing. Apparently unaware of the fact that Binary Domain was a Japanese game made by Japanese people.

p sure that Japanese people did not make the English localization.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ the Japanese characters of Binary Domain mostly have Japanese VAs in the localized version and the game is set in Japan.

Jimbot posted:

Was it over twitter? Because I have a sinking feeling McIntosh hijacks her twitter every time something doesn't agree with him. He has a real bug up his rear end for things he doesn't like. Which, as far as I can see, involves any kind of violence in any media ever.

Yeah, both accounts were talking about how anyone who cheered at the Doom 4 trailer was psychotic and a danger to society, basically.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: /\ the Japanese characters of Binary Domain mostly have Japanese VAs in the localized version and the game is set in Japan.

I don't recall the moment in question from the videos, but if the game is set in Japan then ok, that is a stretch.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Binary Domain is a game everyone should play. Big Bo is one of video game's greatest characters. It's only flaw that game had was that team British got side-lined about half-way in. We needed more of team no-nonsense.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 3, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, it's the "Anita Sarkeesian is actually kind of a bad critic" derail.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DStecks posted:

I don't recall the moment in question from the videos, but if the game is set in Japan then ok, that is a stretch.

Yeah, it's about an international team fighting robots in Japan

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

She is an internet critic, and discussion is happening. Not sure how that's a derail.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I didn't see anyone saying she is bad, people just disagreeing with a few points from her video. far more on the rail then talking about US crime drama.

Also what are you implaying? we criticize critics here all the time, disagreeing with a part of antia's video is fine along we don't call for her head.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 3, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Okay, sorry. Captain Heavily Sexualized Violence And Also Animalrapemerica

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Okay, sorry. Captain Heavily Sexualized Violence And Also Animalrapemerica

What?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Some kind of veiled reference to the Bush Administration?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Jack Gladney posted:

Some kind of veiled reference to the Bush Administration?

I think it's lyrics to a song I've never heard.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Three pages ago is an unfathomably long time, admittedly

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey dude if you're trying to do some cool guy callout just do it instead of being coy because spoiler no one actually cares

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah this is not the way to get noticed. Better you stay ignored if you're just going to antagonize everyone.

This is our thread for antagonizing Doug Walker.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jimbot posted:

McIntosh seems to take issue with some bizarre stuff. He came down on the trailer for Rise of the Tomb Raider, saying that it was irresponsible because it endorsed the idea of climbing a mountain without proper equipment.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Max Wilco posted:

McIntosh seems to take issue with some bizarre stuff. He came down on the trailer for Rise of the Tomb Raider, saying that it was irresponsible because it endorsed the idea of climbing a mountain without proper equipment.

The two pillars of Social Justice, feminism and mountaineering.

e X fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 3, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
#yesallfreeclimbers

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

e X posted:

and
The two pillars of Social Justice, feminism and mountaineering.

I think he may retracted on it though, because I when I went to find the tweet in question, the only thing I could find was a reference to it on Rhianna Pratchett's Twitter (it said the tweet was unavailable). I was only able to find via the archived version. So it's possible he changed his mind about the critique and deleted the tweet in response.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 3, 2015

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
All these so-called 'social justice' on Twitter is complete bullshit, I feel like Twitter is full of a bunch of loving mongoloids retweeting hashtags and trends for no reason other than they're topical and somehow important. I feel like activists who support the 'free the nipple' campaign never heard of streaking or nude beaches before (to be honest, I never cared for most modern online campaigns because I have better things to do).

But seriously, all I'm asking is for Twitter (and Tumblr) to grow some loving balls.

Mundi
Sep 19, 2011

Your voice is ambrosia
Please tell us more about how cool you are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junior Jr. posted:

But seriously, all I'm asking is for Twitter (and Tumblr) to grow some loving balls.

Tumblr already grows balls on plenty of things as-is :stonklol:.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Junior Jr. posted:

All these so-called 'social justice' on Twitter is complete bullshit, I feel like Twitter is full of a bunch of loving mongoloids retweeting hashtags and trends for no reason other than they're topical and somehow important. I feel like activists who support the 'free the nipple' campaign never heard of streaking or nude beaches before (to be honest, I never cared for most modern online campaigns because I have better things to do).

Man and I thought I was being an irritating internet badass

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Junior Jr. posted:

Watch out everyone, this is one badass, he is going to take down all of our hashtags.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tumblr already grows balls on plenty of things as-is :stonklol:.

They placed most of their balls in a 'convention' they couldn't even afford.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Junior Jr. posted:

Twitter activism is very low effort and is really only there to make yourself feel good. It's nice to feel like your making a difference in stuff but hashtags rarely change anything, if at all. It's good for raising awareness but for changing anything? Nope. That's why I think McIntosh is a blowhard. He raves on his and his girlfriend's twitter accounts but with 140 character limits you can't say anything noteworthy or useful. His energy would be better spent on a blog and use his twitter to link to it. Better yet, promote or fund games that he wants to see more of rather than complain he's tired of seeing violent games or Tomb Raider isn't following regulation mountaineering standards or some-such inane silliness.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, I actually quite like how Hbomberguy described it a while back - Sarkeesian is, to some of these people, a kind of "load-bearing feminist". She is the most prominent commentator who critiques computer games from a feminist perspective, and is thus emblematic of all commentators who critique games from a feminist perspective. Thus, if only she can be destroyed, then the entire edifice of feminism in game criticism will come crumbling down with her.

Well, I mean, that's how it works in video games... Kill the big bad and then the whole island/spaceship/planet asplodes and then you get a poorly translated congratulation text and maybe a victory image.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Johnny Fiveaces powered down the magnabike with a not quite unhearble hum and checked his chronometer. “drat.” he hissed threw his clinched teeth which were surrounded by the stubble of five days where in he had not shaven himself at all. It was almost chromodawn at Clashpoint. Alreddy the sun was sitting Walliston’s Hill ah blaze like so much molten meddle or a coin, gyreating in the air, tossed there by the uncaring hand of an imaginary god that doesn’t exist, borne from the interior minds of the hobbled masses. The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange. drat, he, Johnny, thought. We thought we were opening a new beginning with our mad dreams of time travail but ironically the only time now is the time of which we’re out of. It’s almost humorous. Yeah, I could almost laugh, if I hadn’t cried that part of me away when my parents were maccasared by Dr. Malaprop and the government sanctioned murderers of “CAPITAL”. He lit a Nicosheen brand swaggerette and took a dip drag, sinking farther into his inferior horologue. He thought of Nina and her mellifluous buttocks that he used to love to bang. Even now his nano enhanced hearing could almost hear her vagina lips quivering with moisture and also pleasure, like a slice of synth-ham being tongued by one of Malaprop’s slamhounds. When he got back to City5, he was going to do some sex, no doubt about that. “That’s right doll” he said to nobody and the wind. They were going to do it hard. He smiled, blowing smoke from his nostrils. They were going to do it cyber hard.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Jimbot posted:

Twitter activism is very low effort and is really only there to make yourself feel good. It's nice to feel like your making a difference in stuff but hashtags rarely change anything, if at all. It's good for raising awareness but for changing anything? Nope. That's why I think McIntosh is a blowhard. He raves on his and his girlfriend's twitter accounts but with 140 character limits you can't say anything noteworthy or useful. His energy would be better spent on a blog and use his twitter to link to it. Better yet, promote or fund games that he wants to see more of rather than complain he's tired of seeing violent games or Tomb Raider isn't following regulation mountaineering standards or some-such inane silliness.

If you're really going to complain about the status of video games and how violent/sexist they are, then you're better off making an article or a documentary about it. The main problem though is trying to stay unbiased. I get that if you're opinionated, you may have to throw in your own two cents to the status, but if you become too biased or too focused on 'here's what these people should to video games' and all that, you're losing your main purpose of making a point or a speech about whatever it is you're focusing on.

I know it seems obvious, but I get the feeling McIntosh and Sarkeesian haven't grasped that yet and they're spending too much time focusing on what they went rather than analysing what the mainstream want. Also, they seem to miss the point of certain games like when they tweeted the E3 trailers to DOOM, feeling shocked over how 'too gory and violent' the game is and how people are 'cheering over bodies being ripped apart'...when that's the whole point of DOOM in the first place.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It is good to think about how violent our culture is imo

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Junior Jr. posted:

All these so-called 'social justice' on Twitter is complete bullshit, I feel like Twitter is full of a bunch of loving mongoloids retweeting hashtags and trends for no reason other than they're topical and somehow important. I feel like activists who support the 'free the nipple' campaign never heard of streaking or nude beaches before

What? The entire point is that women's breasts are generally "nsfw" but men's aren't. Breaking the law and designated safe zones don't change that?

Also mongoloids is a racial term.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Can we go back to talking about cheesy crime procedurals?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

WickedHate posted:

What? The entire point is that women's breasts are generally "nsfw" but men's aren't. Breaking the law and designated safe zones don't change that?

Also mongoloids is a racial term.

One thing I don't get about making women's breasts exposed normal is if they're making it legal then what's the point of public decency? Also there are places where they have the freedom to get naked like in nude beaches, so I don't know why they're not happy to have some freedom at least. But for the most part, I'm just angry at Twitter.

Also, you do know I mean the other kind of mongoloid, right?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Twitter definitely constitutes a distinct group.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Twitter definitely constitutes a distinct group.

Much like Mail or Phone.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Junior Jr. posted:

One thing I don't get about making women's breasts exposed normal is if they're making it legal then what's the point of public decency? Also there are places where they have the freedom to get naked like in nude beaches, so I don't know why they're not happy to have some freedom at least. But for the most part, I'm just angry at Twitter.

If you think men's exposed breasts are fine but women's breasts alone are disgusting you're part of the problem, no one's asking to walk around with their genitals hanging out, and it isn't about women who want to have their breasts out, it's about the existance of a double standard that sexualizes and censors a part of women's bodies for no reason when the same isn't done to mens' breasts. It's basically the same thing as hardcore Islam saying women have to be entirely covered up but men can walk around fine.

Also, "they should be happy to have SOME freedoms" is a horrible argument(and again, doesn't understand what's actually being argued). In fact so is "what the mainstream wants" and so is "uh that's the whole point of the game", and I'm saying that as someone who cringed hard at Anita's comments.

Junior Jr. posted:

Also, you do know I mean the other kind of mongoloid, right?

That's not much better since that specifically means "person with down's syndrome". Down's syndrome sure is funny, harhar.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 3, 2015

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Junior Jr. posted:

so I don't know why they're not happy to have some freedom at least.

:captainpop:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Why weren't blacks happy with Jim Crow? They weren't slaves anymore jeez.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

WickedHate posted:

If you think men's exposed breasts are fine but women's breasts alone are disgusting you're part of the problem, no one's asking to walk around with their genitals hanging out, and it isn't about women who want to have their breasts out, it's about the existance of a double standard that sexualizes and censors a part of women's bodies for no reason when the same isn't done to mens' breasts. It's basically the same thing as hardcore Islam says women have to be entirely covered up but men can walk around fine.

I never said exposing women's breasts were disgusting, if someone wants to get naked if they have a reason then I have no problem with that; but if making both genders' sexual organs uncensored becomes legal, wouldn't that just make more sexism like when guys catcall some girls to 'show their tits', or is it supposed to have some counter-effect like if we saw more dicks and boobs out in the open we don't think they're sexy anymore? Also, if it's legal, wouldn't if influence kids and make them think 'if they're doing it, then I should do it too'?

Look, I don't care what they do with their bodies, but there must be some standards we can agree on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jay O posted:

The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: I Can't Believe It's Not GBS

• Locked thread