Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

xxEightxx posted:

Any improvements to sniping?

The flat rate for crits was upped. All Frames get 1.5x damage on crits, Recons get 2.0x damage, Nighthawks with a Sniper Rifle get 5.0x(!). So, Sniping is the same as it was before, but you'll very rarely need more than one hit, even with a crap weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
No love for the raptor?

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Ralith posted:

No love for the raptor?

Haven't gotten to it yet. Based purely on the crit changes, I assume raptor being more dangerous, and probably less agonizing to level or do solo stuff with, but other than that I haven't seen anyone using it yet.

EDIT:

quote:

Raptor:
Raptor teleport beacon creates an arcfold that anybody can use.

This sounds pretty useful in a group, and was posted at the top of the previous page of our thread.

Mr Fahrenheit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 28, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I would love to hear more about the Cat?

How does the flamer work now, with primary and secondary?

What options does the frame have for ranged engagements?

And more importantly are any of its skills useful or still a selection of OK and bad choices?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

DarkDobe posted:

And more importantly are any of its skills useful or still a selection of OK and bad choices?
Firecat's old skills were the best in the game because they let you fly forever :colbert:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

The flat rate for crits was upped. All Frames get 1.5x damage on crits, Recons get 2.0x damage, Nighthawks with a Sniper Rifle get 5.0x(!). So, Sniping is the same as it was before, but you'll very rarely need more than one hit, even with a crap weapon.

They ever fix hitbox detection and having to aim a foot above a guys head to headshot him?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ralith posted:

No love for the raptor?

Raptor has also received and increased headshot multiplier.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

DarkDobe posted:

I would love to hear more about the Cat?

How does the flamer work now, with primary and secondary?

What options does the frame have for ranged engagements?

Tiger Cat trip report!

This is my Voltaic Volatile Fuel Projector. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Voltaic Volatile Fuel Projector is my best friend. It is my life. I must tinker it as I must tinker my life.

Following the pattern of the close range = high damage the Firecat really makes that point very well. The primary weapon has a measly range of 30-35 depending on prefix, modules, aux gear, etc. I've found rocks I can stand on and not hit the guys at the bottom.

Still, the splash on it is very nice. I'm not quite sure how big the splash radius is, even with a really nice splash graphic but since I spend whole fights just spraying over whole packs of enemies like a fireman at a wet t-shirt contest, I can only say that it does the job and does it very well. Mobs like to hide behind cover. That's fine. Spray nearby and be rewarded at a constant stream of damage numbers. The old days of shooting a mob for 500 points of damage and seeing 10 points tick off of it every second for 10 seconds are gone. 500 points per direct hit will give you 250 point ticks as the mobs burn to death. If you really want to be frugal with your ammo, you can DOT down whole swarms of enemies with enough patience. Mind you, the thing spits out that 500 points like you're using a tesla rifle. Numbers be everywhere.

The alt fire is you squirting out raw fuel. You can squirt out a puddle and then shoot it to ignite it causing roughly twice the usual DOT damage of mobs normally being on fire but it dries up fairly fast so right now there's no reason not to just stand there and face rape everything. I hope alt fire gets a buff but right now I feel it's just a waste of ammo that is more useful spent as primary fire.

I managed to take a screen shot that demonstrates the average engagement range. That whole squad just poofed.

Thermal wave was redone and I'm still trying to figure out how it's used best. While it's active, it makes you invulnerable from the front and you project this cone of flame that slowly burns everything in front of you. So far I haven't been impressed. By itself, it's fairly weak. It's terrible in 1v1 unless you really really want to take a moment to pick your nose. It shines against certain situations like group ares missions where you have 40 tanken trying to come at you through a doorway you can just stand in front of and nope nope nope them until the shield runs out. The good part? It'll damage everything in that room and they can't do poo poo to stop you. The bad part? They can stop you. Since none of them will be dead by the time it wears off, they'll already be shooting at you when it drops and you are suddenly left with 40 pissed off dudes shooting at you with no warning while you're standing in the open with your finger in your nose.

/dance rear end in a top hat, /dance!

At 25, you get Immolate. You no longer have to stand in the middle of a group of the assholes getting shot while you hope some of them get their feelings hurt. Instead, you have an enemy in your crosshairs and activate Immolate. Now they're encased in a Thunderdome with the Immolate inside it. All the badguys can do is slowly burn while they try to shoot their way out of the shields. This gives you just enough time to /dance and troll the other players who can't shoot through the shields unless they get inside with the bad guys. I've tried it on a few bosses and sometimes it's funny. Sometimes it makes them vanish under the world which is bad always funny.

I haven't hit 30 so I don't know what comes next. Inferno Dash, I guess. Nobody online right now can answer that one.

Ralith posted:

Firecat's old skills were the best in the game because they let you fly forever :colbert:

You should really look at some of the changes to the Tigerclaw. I spent several minutes pew pewing at a tornado while some rear end in a top hat TC just hovered above it shooting at the top shards the whole fight. THE WHOLE FIGHT. I'm fairly sure he stacked and modded every piece of jet regen gear he could find. Considering you can get arms, legs, OS, head, chest, medical, and reactor parts, it can't be hard.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

They ever fix hitbox detection and having to aim a foot above a guys head to headshot him?

I can't tell if the bullets fired are big and the hitboxes are small, or if the server is just really laggy. Probably won't get a good test of this until everything hits the fan live.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Inimicul posted:

Tiger Cat trip report!
I'll miss the long effective range of the thermal cannon. Sounds fun, anyway. Hope they make the altfire useful.

Inimicul posted:

You should really look at some of the changes to the Tigerclaw. I spent several minutes pew pewing at a tornado while some rear end in a top hat TC just hovered above it shooting at the top shards the whole fight. THE WHOLE FIGHT. I'm fairly sure he stacked and modded every piece of jet regen gear he could find. Considering you can get arms, legs, OS, head, chest, medical, and reactor parts, it can't be hard.
Having to carefully cycle skills was half the fun! Still, nice to have the mobility frame actually be the frame with mobility finally, and in a way that interferes less with combat effectiveness at that.

Have they done away with the ridiculous 'power rating' crap yet?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
No. PR is still king. It's just a bit more streamlined now. Since modules don't give PR, it's easier just to tinker your gear for the extra PR than worry about having Best In Slot modules all the time. They're more of an afterthought for me now.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Really hope l these changes mean all my maxed frames will be god uber mode when I end my year plus exile.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

Really hope l these changes mean all my maxed frames will be god uber mode when I end my year plus exile.

Of course they will!

Just kidding, everyone gets everything reset. So it was before, so it shall be forever

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
:kingsley::kingsley: SALVAGE EVERYTHING FLOOD THE MARKET CASH OUT EARLY!!! :kingsley::kingsley:

I'm only partially kidding. Actually, I'd kind of recommend burning any resources you have sitting around making items you can salvage after the update goes live but there's still a ton of time before we get close and I'm sure there will be half a dozen blog posts talking about the next item revamp before then.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Why are there so many new posts that are not about the Mammoth? How is the Mammoth?

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Of course they will!

Just kidding, everyone gets everything reset. So it was before, so it shall be forever

i give up

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

DreadLlama posted:

Why are there so many new posts that are not about the Mammoth? How is the Mammoth?

Mammoth is alright if you're into fatties.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I haven't been able to play it personally but I did operation high tide with my recon, another recon, and a mammoth. Both of us recon died repeatedly. The mammoth pretty much soloed the whole thing. The fucker wouldn't die. From what I have seen it has lost a little bit of DPS but gains the ability to face tank everything in game.

R5 posted:

Mammoth
Rotary BlasterIncreased the damage of primary fire (lvl 1 common 9.3, up from 7).
Exploding the disruptor rounds now deals less damage (50% down from 100% weapon damage).
Targets affected by the the Rotary Blasters damage debuff can no longer have disruption rounds attached to them.
The damage debuff visual effects now fall off after 4 seconds as intended.

The Mammoth's bonus health has been increased from +50% up to +100%.

Heh, they just buffed it too!

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 31, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The changes to the R36 are welcome ( to me) but other people seem to hate it for some reason. I can't figure out why.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
What changes? Is the R36 no longer the best gun in the game?

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

They made the R35 a pseudo marksman rifle scoped in. It uses two bullets per shot, but the shots are much more accurate and more powerful, with a slower refire time. The reason most people don't like it is because while unscoped, it gets about 3 shots before it's accuracy is nearly useless (which means no critical shots except by random chance), and while scoped it doesn't have nearly enough zoom. FWIW, I don't like it much because I'm used to my R36 I use on my Nighthawk on Live which is far and away more accurate unscoped and fires significantly faster in both scoped and unscoped modes. People forget that it's not meant to be used fully automatic in scoped mode, and I think a significant buff to the weapon would be to make the scoped in shots semi-auto; more controlled (maybe higer) rate of fire with the tradeoff being more recoil bloom.

So yeah, it's no longer the best gun in the game, it got usurped by the Firecat's Napalm Hose.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Napalm hose got nerfed. 25% damage reduction. It no longer feels quite as amazing. This just means I'm going to have to tinker it up some more to get the same oomph out of it. You can really feel the difference. I guess I won't be raping mobs 5 levels higher than me anymore.

Alt fire feels a lot better though. It's pretty useful now.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Inimicul posted:

Alt fire feels a lot better though. It's pretty useful now.
What'd they change? Just made it stick around longer?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

R5 posted:

Firecat
Incendiary CannonLit fuel puddles now deal 200% damage instead of 120% damage.
Lit fuel puddles now last for 6 seconds instead of 4.
Primary fire damage has been reduced by 25% to adjust for greater fuel patch damage.A bug was fixed that should cause unlit elemental fuel patches to clean themselves up more reliably.

Thermal WaveThermal wave’s camera has been set to match the 3rd person camera.
Thermal wave’s shield visual effects will now rotate with the camera.
The camera should be much steadier and more responsive while this ability is active.

The R36 is now much more accurate for hip fire than it was pre 1310 patch. It's somewhat useful at hip fire spraying but not as good as an SMG so pick your secondary wisely. Personally, I find the grenade launcher or shotgun to be the best side items to the R36 main course. Earlier today somebody was bitching up a storm in zone chat about how it sucked, it was terrible, it was the worst, and blaming the community for having it changed. I asked what he meant and asked what changed (I was on the FC at the time) and the only thing he was able to say was that the zoom was too much now and couldn't be used indoors. I swapped to the recon and found the zoom set to 3x and proceeded to do the bandit cave by Nutretic without issue. Maybe he was just bitching because he didn't know what else to do with his life?

EIDT:

DickButtDongalopolis posted:

R36 Accuracy got buffed.
Regular R36:
3 max spread (down from 6)
1 min spread on the ground (down from 2)
2 min spread in the air (down from 3)

There. Found some more numbers.

Also, range is now 150 again. 3x zoom by default. I've seen someone link a sharpeye R36 but was too busy to hover look it.

Even more EDIT:

Ok, so I finally got the Recon to 20 and am in the battle lab trying out the stock Nighthawk and Raptors. Raptor doesn't get PF at level 20 so this is going to be rough. What it does do is headshot the bots in the lab for 3632 at full charge. The Nighthawk has to make do with either 11,000 or 14,000 depending on Ambus status. I set out to test Raptor but it's really really hard to pass up those numbers.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 1, 2015

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Inimicul posted:

Ambush status

This is actually a lot easier to manage now, since Execute now resets Ambush if you get a kill (or headshot, I can't remember which). Raptor is going to probably be the defacto Recon upgrade for a bit, unless the new Nighthawk abilities that aren't out yet expand on its capabilities in some other way. Is Smoke Screen in the game yet?

EDIT: Thought experiment; does Ambush work with the R36, and if so, does Execute make it fire faster? Hmmmmmmm.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Raptor is going to probably be the defacto Recon upgrade for a bit
What? Inimicul just described how Nighthawk does five times more damage.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Nighthawk not being R36 Batman anymore pisses me off to no end. That was the best.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Trying to get back in on this and I have to wonder - what is the most reliable way to farm crystite now?

I tried a run of the old chest-loots on BWA and netted some four thousand for the trouble - which seems lower than I recall? Necronus didn't drop a thing either.

Thumping is likely still lucrative if in the higher level areas, I haven't tried.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DarkDobe posted:

Trying to get back in on this and I have to wonder - what is the most reliable way to farm crystite now?

I tried a run of the old chest-loots on BWA and netted some four thousand for the trouble - which seems lower than I recall? Necronus didn't drop a thing either.

Thumping is likely still lucrative if in the higher level areas, I haven't tried.

You should get around 7k power run. You must be missing something.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Ralith posted:

What? Inimicul just described how Nighthawk does five times more damage.

Morglon posted:

Nighthawk not being R36 Batman anymore pisses me off to no end. That was the best.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Oh no, only five times as much damage as anyone else, better abandon the class :rolleyes:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Ralith posted:

Oh no, only five times as much damage as anyone else, better abandon the class :rolleyes:

You have any idea how much I paid for that stupid cornea item to get increased zoom in the r36? Sort of like all that money I spent getting up to max power level before they trashed that system, but :xcom:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Back to this game for the third time. It's still rather fun, but I can't help but feel that it used to be so much more fun than it is now. Does the PTS version change the way gear is handled? I hate this power level nonsense. Any word on making crafting not stupidly time consuming or making thumping worthwhile again?

At least the Amazon seems to come close to the nostalgic beta feeling of trying to retake a map that is red with chosen.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bait and Swatch posted:

Back to this game for the third time. It's still rather fun, but I can't help but feel that it used to be so much more fun than it is now. Does the PTS version change the way gear is handled? I hate this power level nonsense. Any word on making crafting not stupidly time consuming or making thumping worthwhile again?

At least the Amazon seems to come close to the nostalgic beta feeling of trying to retake a map that is red with chosen.

PTS adds a bunch of new gear slots and moves the power rating from modules to gear. No word on the new crafting changes yet. Thumping is going to be worked on, too.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/vague-update-state-of-crafting.6610721/

That Thread on the Forum has most of the Information we have on New Crafting, mostly from the Lead Designer behind it making several posts on the general principles in the design behind it.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There is a new thumping mechanic on the PTS like an open world event. Thumpers are called down in various around the map and bugs attack them. If you successfully defend them you get the usual rewards you would from something like a bandit ambush or something. Since all own world events on the PTS give items as rewards now, it's easy to chain own world events fire quick gear and loot.

Edit for clarity: this is different than normal thumping which still exists.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

MadHat posted:

http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/vague-update-state-of-crafting.6610721/

That Thread on the Forum has most of the Information we have on New Crafting, mostly from the Lead Designer behind it making several posts on the general principles in the design behind it.

Interesting thread, though it all still seems rather vague, same for their comments on thumping. Was there ever an explanation for why they scrapped so much? The beta game evironment felt so much more alive and fun to play in, compared to what we have now. They say in that thread they want to bring elements of it back, but I don't understand why it was changed so drastically in the first, second or third place. Was it the guy who got fired for wasting money on a bus and trying to make movies?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Short answer: They are bad at game design and want to do too much with nearly infinite funding. We call it the Chris Roberts effect.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It's a sad day. I just did Cyber Wars job in Trans Hub. It's no longer the Lemon King who cracked the code. It's now some douche called The Wisdom.

RIP LK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Morglon posted:

Short answer: They are bad at game design and want to do too much with nearly infinite funding. We call it the Chris Roberts effect.

The Firefall guys at least seem to still be planning to actually make a game, give them some credit.

• Locked thread