Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mazerunner posted:

that's hardly a fair comparison page

I mean two pages later:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-22

full of no background panels

Eh, in all those panels without backgrounds there is either some kind of anime-special-panel-effect happening or its an extreme closeup. Leaving backgrounds out every now and again isn't an issue or anything, but there HAS been a whole bunch of no-background panels in this chapter and I think people are just nervous at Paranatural showing any similarity to Bleach (where entire swaths of the series seem to take place in blank voids of nothingness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Zack puts in backgrounds for particularly talky pages, establishing a shot or scene, or for large splashy panels. If there's a lot of action going on or if the scene has been well-established and there's nothing else really going on that's new, then there won't be a background.

This isn't really that unorthodox.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Plus, he's been busy and is likely right in that end of summer back-to-college phase at the moment. He's said in the past that the missing backgrounds (Ed's spirit world in particular) were so he could get the comic out in a reasonable time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

readingatwork posted:

There doesn't, but it's something you notice if you go looking for it. Particularly if you compare the latest pages to his earlier chapters:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-20

It's not so much a "problem" as it is "something that could be better".

I, for one, am super duper psyched to see gymnasium walls repeatedly.

If there were backround details that matter, Zach would probably do backrounds. But this is Hitball, and isn't about the majestic scenery. Someone needs to get their head in the game.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

stop repeating complaints that you understand none of the grounding for, you idiots

there's a reason why artists tend to not draw backgrounds in action heavy scenes, and its not laziness, its because it makes the frame a cluttered mess that detracts from the action. The reason accusations of laziness over not drawing backgrounds happens so often in the webcomic world is because most webcomics are Talking Head Theater, where not having a background is a definite act of laziness.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Until you guys pointed it out, I didn't notice the featureless backgrounds at all and now that I'm aware they're still not bothering me because it's a gymnasium and there's nothing special.

Also there's always something else going on that's more important.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Zack puts in detailed backgrounds when the foreground action is just talking and exposition. It fleshes out the page and makes it more entertaining with all of the funny spectral stuff going on. With ridiculous anime action scenes like hitball, it would just be information overload!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

the less things Zack spends drawing on a single page, the faster this can update so I am all for featureless backgrounds

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-54
Tearing off arms? This comic's going dark really fast.

Gotta love how Suzy is deidcated to journalism here.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That is probably the most evil face Suzy has ever given. By evil I mean joyful.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So all of this is setup for "Jeff" to rip off a throw at Maximum Power, cause an injury (specifically on Max? Or just anyone?) so he gets into trouble and is sent to the Teacher's Lounge, presumably so the spirit puppeteering him can pass on to someone else, right? Because ripping the "arms" off the fake student would probably be enough to qualify.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

How dramatic!

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Violet is my favorite character right now. She's having none of this nonsense. I hope we get a Supernormal strip showing what went down between when she first left to get Coach Oop and this strip.

Also, was anyone else briefly confused by the first few panels? I originally thought that the Student Council guy just missed Jeff entirely and beaned the vice principal levitating kid, which gave Jeff the chance to break free.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I just realized.

Not only is levitating kid missing arms but he is BLEEDING FROM HIS EYEHOLES.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Getting a real binding of Isaac vibe from normal kid.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Is the Vice Principle supernatural, or is it just the joke with the camouflage cover? Or both?

I did a reread recently and and still not 100% sure.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Kazy posted:

Is the Vice Principle supernatural, or is it just the joke with the camouflage cover? Or both?

I did a reread recently and and still not 100% sure.

Vice principal? I don't know what you're talking about brobe, that's just a levitating normal kid.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

FriggenJ posted:

Vice principal? I don't know what you're talking about brobe, that's just a levitating normal kid.

Yes this totally helps me and the joke is totally not getting old, especially not when I have a serious question. :geno:

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Kazy posted:

Yes this totally helps me and the joke is totally not getting old, especially not when I have a serious question. :geno:

Well, your question doesn't actually have an answer. The only thing we have is an ambiguous "It can't be are you actually...". Zach has played reveals like that off for laughs too many times to draw any conclusions from it.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
I think it's pretty obvious that the vice principal is not possessed or has ghost powers of any sort, she's just a wacky older person in the vein of mr. starchman. the camouflage joke that disguising her weird elephantine trunk as the head of a small child and puppeting it around like a normal student is just that- a joke.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So Friday's page is going to see the payoff of Dmitri's plan where they shut down Jeff before he can fling another doomball?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure she's supernatural since, besides her utterly inhuman anatomy and possibly camouflage powers (none of the kids seem to have noticed what was up with Normal Floating Kid), she's clearly using some sort of telekinesis to control Normal Floating Kid's arms (there's some sort of weird puppeteer strings).

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-50
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-51

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty sure she's supernatural since, besides her utterly inhuman anatomy and possibly camouflage powers (none of the kids seem to have noticed what was up with Normal Floating Kid), she's clearly using some sort of telekinesis to control Normal Floating Kid's arms (there's some sort of weird puppeteer strings).

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-50
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-51

I uh, hmmm, uh, well, you see

how do I put this, hmmm

well, you know the saying, that when you hear hooves, you should think horse, not zebra? well in this instance you might consider, uh, when you're seeing weird puppeteer strings, that they are, um, well, strings, and not, you know, telekinetic powers

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

when I hear hooves in this thread I mostly think "gigantic rear end"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mazerunner posted:

I uh, hmmm, uh, well, you see

how do I put this, hmmm

well, you know the saying, that when you hear hooves, you should think horse, not zebra? well in this instance you might consider, uh, when you're seeing weird puppeteer strings, that they are, um, well, strings, and not, you know, telekinetic powers

Strings don't really wrap themselves nice and tight around people's arms when all you're doing is holding them somehow through the tip of your fingers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

when I hear hooves in this thread I mostly think "gigantic rear end"
Unexpected viral advertising for horsebadonks.com.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Well, if you are for example in a savannah I think you are justified in thinking about zebras rather than horses.
I don't know why I felt the need to point that out.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cat Mattress posted:

Strings don't really wrap themselves nice and tight around people's arms when all you're doing is holding them somehow through the tip of your fingers.

This is an anime comic, in anime you can do all kinds of crazy things with strings with only a tiny twitch of your fingertips.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

Ghosts also aren't real. :ssh:

Tollemache
Oct 10, 2012
Can anyone catch what Coach Oop's got open on-screen? 'REAL [something unintelligble]' and 'HEAVY M(ETAL)' is all I can make out.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I did a double take at the blood coming out of the eyes and then a triple take when I realized it was a bloody nose. What a perfect piece of physical comedy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
"One Winged Angel and the Zolydick family theme start playing simultaneously."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The vice-principal being all weird and staying unnoticed by the kids somehow will remain an obvious joke right up until the point that it's revealed that she actually is supernatural, in which case it will have been obvious all along that was the case.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Zerilan posted:

"One Winged Angel and the Zolydick family theme start playing simultaneously."

Someone on Twitter got inspired: http://isaac.ga/post/125833953347

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

:snoop:

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I thought of this thread the second I saw this:

The Suitsy!

quote:

the lovechild of a business suit and a onesie!

It's not exactly the same, but close enough. Apologies if it's been posted before, but I don't remember seeing it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So Jeff just got a red ball and the ball on the chapter title page with the grey (spectral?) smoke is red, I'm going to guess some sort of epic Johnny save or something is incoming.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Mentalizer posted:

I thought of this thread the second I saw this:

The Suitsy!

It's not exactly the same, but close enough. Apologies if it's been posted before, but I don't remember seeing it.

No butt flap option, no sale. :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zerilan posted:

He's the talented but immature anime protagonist who thinks he's grown up to be the cool and wise leader but hasn't.
This also works with the whole "defeated the strongest spirit" thing. "Anime child protagonist defeats ultimate foe through bullshit" is a pretty standard cliche, if you went back to that kid after a decade and a bit without any actual improvement, you'd probably get Spender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

Ghosts also aren't real. :ssh:

AND they're explicitly paranormal and supernatural in the comic.