Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hemophilia posted:

As for Starbound, the way goons whine about games you would think nothing is good. Starbound isn't great, but it's entirely playable, once. Problem is a bunch of us played it already, and a bunch of you appear to be expecting terraria style updates and overhauls. It has very little staying power once you've mastered all the bosses and collected/crafted the loot. Oh well, I still have enough hours logged on where I was having fun, I can't say it wasn't worth it.

they literally said they were going to do terraria style updates and overhauls

they said that poo poo with their mouths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Is this game out yet? Thanks :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Starbound is not bad but it is not a fun game and I don't care about Tiys explanation that they redid the engine 5 times

They should have just been adding content like holiday poo poo and bosses and items

There are goons who have made awesome races and weapons and biomes way cooler than any thing in the base game

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Starbound is not bad but it is not a fun game and I don't care about Tiys explanation that they redid the engine 5 times

They should have just been adding content like holiday poo poo and bosses and items

There are goons who have made awesome races and weapons and biomes way cooler than any thing in the base game

Exactly this. That, and a way to actively integrate high-quality player content into the official product would have been cool, I imagine. Like they did with that rail system or whatever.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
As an investor, I'm completely in the clear when I say the guy whose avatar wears a scarf and refuses to be photographed is badass

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MPLS to NOLA posted:

As an investor, I'm completely in the clear when I say the guy whose avatar wears a scarf and refuses to be photographed is badass
A scarf AND a fedora.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
In this thread: Wow, the creators of this game look like nerds! LETS GET EM!

All rough play aside, I like the game, and I'll definitely play it more once it's done.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As a goon I am an expert on looking cool and furthermore:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BillmasterCozb posted:

All rough play aside

Thank God, I was afraid you were about to fly off the handle!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

...once it's done.

lol

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dandywalken posted:

Thank God, I was afraid you were about to fly off the handle!

Hey now, I can be a pretty tough customer when I have to be.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Starbound is not a bad game except that it isn't actually fun to play and the developers have no idea how to develop a game and it's been spinning its wheels for years with no hope of ever really improving. But it's not a bad game.

:coffeepal:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

My only standard for a video game is whether or not it serves to shorten the time between now and my eventual death, and by that standard Starbound is a great game!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Eonwe posted:

As a goon I am an expert on looking cool and furthermore:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
hmm at least they understand that releasing a game to early access when you're not planning on actually releasing anything to access might have been dumb

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao Starbound is coming to xbox one apparently

it's not even coming to PC at this point

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's really gonna shine on modern hardware...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv
May 4, 2011
I look forward to snapping Starbound and Halo Wars 2 next to each other on Windows 10.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

jesus loving christ I've had this avatar for 2 years

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You naysay now, but apparently they're going to put out a massive update that finally gives the game a coherent design direction, everything's fixed, and it's gonna be glorious, all the dumb mission gating is totally overhauled to freeform bosses, decorating options are available and not restricted, you can actually craft things you want, treasure chests are worth finding, environments aren't all just meaningless interchangeable copies with ore as the literally one variable that matters, and character progression actually makes sense! They said it would be coming soon, along with similar other updates of unspeakably high quality. Thick and fast!! Everyone get hyped again! It can't go wrong this time! I have a good feeling!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I have a good feeling too.

Oh wait, nope, just gas.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Naysaying was more satisfying back when I was one of the only ones doing it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orv posted:

I look forward to snapping Starbound and Halo Wars 2 next to each other on Windows 10.

the best part is they'll both take up the same amount of system resources

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Ok so my perspective has changed somewhat.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Repent all ye sinners, for Starbound is bad

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I can't believe this thread has reached the point of going back 2 goddamn years to name and shame people for being hopeful for an unreleased/recently released game as some sort of complicated, unfunny 'gotcha!'

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

I can't believe this thread has reached the point of going back 2 goddamn years to name and shame people for being hopeful for an unreleased/recently released game as some sort of complicated, unfunny 'gotcha!'

Y... you might want to read closer

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm glad to add my then-totally-neutral statement to the right side of history.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

I remember what it was like to have hope.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

victrix posted:

Y... you might want to read closer

Where?

There is some other, unstated point being made?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
here, just lean in

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Doctor Schnabel posted:

here, just lean in

loving DESTROYED!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Magmarashi posted:

Where?

There is some other, unstated point being made?

well there's a subtle thing there about not being a big baby

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

alright, fess up, who said a mean word about chucklefish three times in a mirror and summoned magmarashi again lol

ubachung posted:

Ok so my perspective has changed somewhat.

Starbound owned a lot when it didn't exist yet

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 5, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

It barely exists now

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

alright, fess up, who said a mean word about chucklefish three times in a mirror and summoned magmarashi again lol

Last night I turned off my bathroom light, lit some candles and chanted "Chucklefish" into the mirror 3 times, then Tiyuri leapt out of it and made a bad game at me. The game...was Starbound.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Really only two good things came out of Starbound: the soundtrack, and the .ABC system for playing music on instruments in game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

LotRO's .ABC system blows Starbound's out of the water. You can turn your keyboard into a midi instrument and actually play the music in real-time. It's what I thought Starbound was going to do and for the longest time it was the feature I was most hyped about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Slime posted:

Last night I turned off my bathroom light, lit some candles and chanted "Chucklefish" into the mirror 3 times, then Tiyuri leapt out of it and made a bad game at me. The game...was Starbound.

whoa are you okay???

• Locked thread