Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Yeah, I love how everything keeps ramping up in the last act of The Guest.

Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like the last act of The Guest, but I also went in expecting a horror movie so that act didn't really disappoint me, it just felt the like the movie falling into place.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I was bored with Wet Hot American Summer. Should I bother with the Netflix Original?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I was bored with Wet Hot American Summer. Should I bother with the Netflix Original?

No

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Nah. It's the same style of humor, but played looser. I'm enjoying it, but I liked the movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix apparently also posted a behind-the-scenes doc on the Wet Hot movie, called Hurricane of Fun. It's worth a watch if an hour of that cast getting drunk and loving around sounds appealing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'd say give the first episode or two a shot. It's quite a bit more... well, just more than the movie. It's hard to explain.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I thought the Guest was pretty bad and agreed with everything that caremad poster said

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm not mad though just disappointed

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

origami posted:

I'm a bit disappointed too, but I acknowledge that it might just be an issue of branding. I wanted a thriller / horror experience, so the final act really threw me when it went full on Made For Cable. I might give it another shot when I'm in the mood for something a little more loose and goofy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I was disappointed with The Guest as well. Saw pretty much everything coming, though I did enjoy the first two acts. Didn't care much for the 3rd except for the final scene I guess.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I was disappointed they didn't do something more exciting than super soliders considering everything around the plot is fantastic and made it a fun movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

I'd say give the first episode or two a shot. It's quite a bit more... well, just more than the movie. It's hard to explain.

It's over-indulgence. A broad, absurdist parody of raunchy teen/camp comedies makes for a solid motion picture. Extending it into a series just makes it more like the hackneyed thing it's making fun of.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

origami posted:

I had exactly the same experience with The Guest. It was just 'eh' to me.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
have any of you seen "you're next"?
its also on netflix and is written by the same guy who wrote "the guest".
i think its a worthy addition to the slasher genre, way better than stuff like "i know what you did last summer" or "urban legend".
its funnier, more self aware and just fun.

you know.
like the guest. (i think you're next is more broadly enjoyable though)

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The new wet hot american summer is pretty great. I'm only two episodes in so far, but so far so good

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

space-man posted:

have any of you seen "you're next"?
its also on netflix and is written by the same guy who wrote "the guest".
i think its a worthy addition to the slasher genre, way better than stuff like "i know what you did last summer" or "urban legend".
its funnier, more self aware and just fun.

you know.
like the guest. (i think you're next is more broadly enjoyable though)

Is this meta-irony? I'm not going to bother looking at this guys posting because that shades the context of my words, superficial and godlike, seared into your retina like a meat-cows brand.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I loved the original Wet Hot American Summer but the series just left me feeling non plussed.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Decided to watch both Richard Stanley movies back to back.

Hardware was delightfully strange but totally watchable. Ultimately I would say it wasn't a good movie, but it had a bitchin' soundtrack.

I only made it about 20 minutes into Dust Devil before I shut it off because I was so bored.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Heavenly Creatures was not quite what I had expected, but I still think it was as good as I had been led to believe. I had no idea it was a 50s period piece, nor that it was based on a true story (and both Pauline and Juliet are still alive!). Somehow I thought it would have been a bit more grounded, but of course it's Peter Jackson, so the elaborate fantasy sequences shouldn't have been that much of a surprise. They fit though, and the movie does a good job showing the two girls obsessions bleed into their reality without being too hokey (Pauline constantly calling Juliet Deborah was honestly creepy). I thought the murder was suitably horrible without being gratuitous.

Has Peter Jackson ever made a movie that didn't have a ton of effects shots?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Watching Wet Hot American Summer got me to thinking about The State. I fired up a few episodes on Hulu. It's great stuff but man it is 90's as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It made me want Stella. I miss Stella so much.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I loved the original Wet Hot American Summer but the series just left me feeling non plussed.

You should watch the behind-the-scenes thing they put up (Hurricane of Fun). It's pretty good.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
El Chavo, another Chespirito classic, was added to US Netflix yesterday, although it's not all of them and the running order is kind of scrambled. Even as a cultural outsider, I get the feeling the omnipresence of Chespirito's shows on so many channels over so many years is why so many people think all Mexican comedy involves either adults dressing up like kids or bumblebee men, but if you're already burned through Chapulin Colorado, this is another one of the key texts.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I wasn't nice on it at first, but after re-visiting the first episode, I am coming around to how Wet Hot is being presented as an only slightly more absurdist take on Freaks & Geeks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone watch The Marriage Chronicles.

It is basically "Tyler Perry Presents: The Room". And the ending is particularly loving insane.

Like, I'm really surprised this movie doesn't have a Sharknado level cult following, because it is 1000x more hilarious.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Everyone watch The Marriage Chronicles.

It is basically "Tyler Perry Presents: The Room". And the ending is particularly loving insane.

Like, I'm really surprised this movie doesn't have a Sharknado level cult following, because it is 1000x more hilarious.
So it's probably a movie that'll get covered on How Did This Get Made eventually?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We Hate Movies is better, but yeah, people should request one of those shows do it. I mean there is a loving lot of poo poo to shovel through in there and all of it is amazing.

THANGS

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hercules with The Rock was way better than I expected it to be. The last third really brought things up a lot. The makeup over The Rock's tattoos was obnoxious though.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I have no interest in the franchise, the original was okay but no Dazed and Confused, or even Revenge of the Nerds. Even when I went to church camp the most I ever got was a blow job :dawkins101:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 3, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Due to the arguing in this thread I had to watch The Guest . I went in expecting an over the top revenge comedy, and I was not disappointed.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

K. Waste posted:

I wasn't nice on it at first, but after re-visiting the first episode, I am coming around to how Wet Hot is being presented as an only slightly more absurdist take on Freaks & Geeks.

Yeah, that's basically how I'd describe it. I'm liking it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

precision posted:

We Hate Movies is better

I'll fight u

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

coyo7e posted:

Hercules with The Rock was way better than I expected it to be. The last third really brought things up a lot. The makeup over The Rock's tattoos was obnoxious though.

I am glad you liked it!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I finished Bojack Horseman Season 2 last night and loved it. It takes some dark turns, but it ends on a bittersweet note, which is why I love the series. It's more satisfying than season 1, and I hope they can come back for more.

Now I'm on Wet Hot American Summer: First Day at Camp and it's wonderfully ridiculous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dust Devil is actually very, very good. It stars the incredibly underrated Robert John Burke (Robocop 2, many Hal Hartley movies)

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

precision posted:

Dust Devil is actually very, very good. It stars the incredibly underrated Robert John Burke (Robocop 2, many Hal Hartley movies)

I know I only made it through 1/3 of this movie (and I can usually watch anything) but drat I am not sure how you hold this opinion. I liked Hardware enough though.

Please don't tell me I should actually finish Dust Devil. Is it only because you like this actor or does the movie do a 180 and become an interesting film?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
batman & robin is back on streaming and also objectively the best batman movie

fite me irl

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I know I only made it through 1/3 of this movie (and I can usually watch anything) but drat I am not sure how you hold this opinion. I liked Hardware enough though.

Please don't tell me I should actually finish Dust Devil. Is it only because you like this actor or does the movie do a 180 and become an interesting film?

It wasn't just the actor. I'm not sure how far you got but I think you may have not even gotten to some of the main characters. It is definitely slow paced, especially at first, but then a lot of weird people and things happen and it becomes something somewhere between Mad Max and Six String Samurai.

e: Fletch is back on streaming, for God's sake everyone watch it, especially if you think Chevy Chase can never be good

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Haha, Horns is kind of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

precision posted:

Six String Samurai.

Well no matter what at least I have heard about this film now and will try to watch this somehow.