Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Torgo2727 posted:

Possible Episode 5 spoilers, though its just speculation on my part.

Are both hands Chloe? :iiam:

They both have her blue nail polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Nition posted:

I don't think they'd do straight-up Ghost Rachel :ghost: like the ghost doe, but there are plenty of photos of Rachel around that Max could use to go back and talk to her. Even Jefferson's lair is full of photos.

I think she has to be in the photo to go back to it.

Trabandiumium fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 3, 2015

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Accordion Man posted:

It's not going to be the Donnie Darko ending,
Clearly Max is going to jump back to her first in-utero selfie and strangle herself with her umbilical cord. :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sardonik posted:

Clearly Max is going to jump back to her first in-utero selfie and strangle herself with her umbilical cord. :colbert:
Wrong, she is going kill the giant alien parasite that lies in the eye of the storm and then they'll throw a big party and Max and Chloe will be carried off on balloons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Accordion Man posted:

It's not going to be the Donnie Darko ending, I think we should all have enough faith in DONTNOD at this point to not think they'd that be horribly lazy to just crib off another ending when they've done a really great job of wearing their influences on their sleeve but having the game have its own identity. It also isn't likely because Max was already having visions of the storm before that event, so the storm is its own thing.

I do agree that we will probably go back in time to that moment but for an entirely different reason. Also we're totally going to talk to Ghost Rachel, I just have a feeling that it would work well.

I don't think the game will go full-on Donnie Darko, but I do think that Dontnod have dropped some significant hints that Chloe's fate is somehow tied to the reality storm. Her line at the end of the first episode, paraphrasing "sometimes I just wanna drop a big loving bomb on this town" that queues Max's vision, all the graffiti around her truck that says "please kill me" or "just let me die" in her bedroom, the oddly temporal graffiti sprinkled all over the place in general, Max's fears of being "stuck" in time, the flickering away of the double moons that directly predates Chloe's death. I think these are all indications that this is not Max's first go-round of events. Perhaps the cost of saving Chloe will come at the hands of destroying the town. Perhaps Max always chooses returning to the beginning because that is the one paradoxical way that she can keep both the town and Chloe alive. Perhaps the game will allow us many options to break the cycle. Perhaps Max can return to one of her other unskippable selfies and figure out a different resolution, who knows? I hope the ending busts everything wide open in an interesting way.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Trabandiumium posted:

I think she has to be in the photo to go back to it.

Ohhh good point, I forgot about that but I'm sure you're right.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Sardonik posted:

Max is going to confront the true villain on top of the cliff with the lighthouse and she's going to ask why this is all happening. They're going to reply with "Polaroids, son girl," which leads to an epic boss fight with indie boss battle music.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

PunkBoy posted:

Max is going to confront the true villain on top of the cliff with the lighthouse and she's going to ask why this is all happening. They're going to reply with "Polaroids, son girl," which leads to an epic boss fight with indie boss battle music.
Sean Prescott played college ball.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Max will finally be defeated by the skyrocketing costs of third-party polaroid film.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pimpmust posted:

Anyone else noticed anything more than this?

Nathan's text to get you to the Dark room is spelt perfectly, but all his other texts before are horribly spelt. Also Mr Jefferson is the only person at the party who claims to have actually seen Nathan, no one else has.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Whatever gave Mas the powers gave it to her to save Chloe. Wouldn't make sense that she couldn't save her without destroying the town imo.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

exquisite tea posted:

My wild guess is that Max is stuck in an endless loop, repeated however many times, because she keeps saving the town from destruction, and thus Chloe from death, on the fifth day by returning to her selfie in the classroom, which for reasons yet unexplained brings about the storm in Arcadia Bay. In order to break the cycle, Chloe has to die and Max has not allowed it to happen.

Look at this nerd that doesn't believe in the power of friendship. :jerkbag:

jackofarcades posted:

Whatever gave Max the powers gave it to her to save Chloe. Wouldn't make sense that she couldn't save her without destroying the town imo.

This guy gets it.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

One thing that someone more attentive than me can probably clear up.

In the episode 5 preview at the end, the very first shot of the table with Jefferson filling the needle has a photo of Kate. Isn't that the same one that was in David's files? If so, why do they both have it?

Also for people who sided with David in episode 3 you can then have a further conversation with him in the garage which is all cryptic and poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

jackofarcades posted:

Whatever gave Mas the powers gave it to her to save Chloe. Wouldn't make sense that she couldn't save her without destroying the town imo.

Well, I'm still unsure what intent if any Max's time traveling powers have. It is interesting to me that Max's reflection is captured in the butterfly photo, however. Maybe she'll have the chance to teleport back to that moment and attempt to resolve the situation differently. I think Chloe took that photo as a gift from her in Episode 1, so getting back to it could prove problematic.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

PunkBoy posted:

Max - Your dream dies with you.

Boss - Maybe not. You've guaranteed the status quo will go on. Using drugged-up subjects... will continue as an institution. Semi-conscious teenage girls will pose for reasons they don't understand, photoshoots they unwillingly participate in. But at least I'll leave a worthy successor... YOU, Max!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The game will end with Max using her time powers to get something high off a shelf and/or smash open a door then make it look like she didn't.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
David Madsen is going to use the muscle car he's been working on since episode 1 to drive around the tornado in the opposite direction boom tornado disarmed loop closed it's just like when Superman reversed time by making the Earth spin backwards.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
David is the hero Arcadia Bay needs but doesn't deserve.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It should be like Ep. 5 of TWD1 where the people who come along with Max for the final boss fight are the ones you were nice to but didn't have to be. My ragtag team of Frank, Alyssa, Warren, and Lisa are gonna go ape on the bad guys of Blackwell.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
With all the talk of dark rooms and dark places I just hope we get a Garth Marenghi DLC.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Junkfist posted:

With all the talk of dark rooms and dark places I just hope we get a Garth Marenghi DLC.
"Dag, I've been cornered by a bunch of twee hipsters. I think I can take them."

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

seravid posted:

Max - Your dream dies with you.

Boss - Maybe not. You've guaranteed the status quo will go on. Using drugged-up subjects... will continue as an institution. Semi-conscious teenage girls will pose for reasons they don't understand, photoshoots they unwillingly participate in. But at least I'll leave a worthy successor... YOU, Max!

Jefferson: "Max! Did you like my corrective glasses?!"

Max pauses and lowers her pistol briefly, as a sudden, harrowing reflection of all of the times she's spoken to Jefferson flash before her eyes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

It's not going to be the Donnie Darko ending, I think we should all have enough faith in DONTNOD at this point to not think they'd that be horribly lazy to just crib off another ending when they've done a really great job of wearing their influences on their sleeve but having the game have its own identity. It also isn't likely because Max was already having visions of the storm before that event, so the storm is its own thing.

I do agree that we will probably go back in time to that moment but for an entirely different reason. Also we're totally going to talk to Ghost Rachel, I just have a feeling that it would work well.

Oh my god I just had a thought.

What if it really is going to be the donnie darko ending? What if the beginning of episode 4 was just training us to be ready for "letting Chloe go". "this week has been the best week of my life, but it's time to move on".

For further consideration: someone asked me why Max would have her time travel power at all if it was just to let her friend die. The only response I could think of at the time was, "because she hasn't seen her friend in five years, the universe is giving her the chance to spend time with her friend over the course of five days"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

seravid posted:

For reals though, what is Jefferson creepily obsessed with? Capturing, binding, and photographing young women at the height of their innocence and vulnerability. Once their time in the darkroom is over, that purity is lost. What would be the best thing ever to his own twisted logic? Someone who could literally revert those women back to that state of innocence and vulnerability, again and again, forever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

For reals though, what is Jefferson creepily obsessed with? Capturing, binding, and photographing young women at the height of their innocence and vulnerability. Once their time in the darkroom is over, that purity is lost. What would be the best thing ever to his own twisted logic? Someone who could literally revert those women back to that state of innocence and vulnerability, again and again, forever.

Maybe Jeff really knows about max's time travel powers, and drugs her to make her forget the past week while she goes back in time.

Maybe those notes via the graffiti are not by nathan, but by you in another reality spilling over because you've done this so many times.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I'm not sure if anyone else has theorized this, but it just came to me and I don't have anywhere to share it!

The picture that we find of Rachel Amber and Nathan are their dead bodies, before being buried in the junkyard. We don't really dig far enough to know its Rachel Amber only for certain, it's just assumed because of the photo and that it's Nathan's fault.

No one has seen Nathan recently, so that means that while Rachel Amber has been missing longer she might have been kept alive by Jefferson and only died recently, supposedly the same time as Nathan. Nathan's family is obviously in on the bunker, but maybe Nathan wasn't and he walked in on Rachel Amber being held there and Jefferson killed him to keep him quiet, or because his family is over him and his brain problems and had some hand in it. I dunno.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
There's still that banging noise in the shed near the lighthouse that hasn't been resolved yet.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else has theorized this, but it just came to me and I don't have anywhere to share it!

The picture that we find of Rachel Amber and Nathan are their dead bodies, before being buried in the junkyard. We don't really dig far enough to know its Rachel Amber only for certain, it's just assumed because of the photo and that it's Nathan's fault.

No one has seen Nathan recently, so that means that while Rachel Amber has been missing longer she might have been kept alive by Jefferson and only died recently, supposedly the same time as Nathan. Nathan's family is obviously in on the bunker, but maybe Nathan wasn't and he walked in on Rachel Amber being held there and Jefferson killed him to keep him quiet, or because his family is over him and his brain problems and had some hand in it. I dunno.

its a rotting corpse and there's no disturbed dirt, Nathan isn't dead and its Rachel in the grave

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mondlicht posted:

Nathan's been missing for, like, a couple of hours at most. Plus you literally find the jacket he's wearing in that photo sitting on the couch in the Dark Room.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

There's still that banging noise in the shed near the lighthouse that hasn't been resolved yet.

My memory for small details in episodic games is short, what's this now?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Snuffman posted:

My memory for small details in episodic games is short, what's this now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWaoyjlhTzw. The end of episode 1 I think?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Sounds like a door rattling in the wind.

...why is that video six minutes long

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Max will save Chloe. She has to. She/I will rewind time a million times, endure countless nightmare lifetimes until the answer is found. Chloe's not getting let down again, the power of friendship cannot be denied. :colbert:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The game will end when we realize that a week earlier, Max strangled her terminally ill wife out of selfishness. Max finally comes to terms with this and slays Chloe on top of the hotel lighthouse, finally realizing that Chloe was a creation of the universe, doomed to die over and over as punishment to Max until she realized what she had done.

The camera slowly pans out to the Arcadia Bay sign, and a wind knocks it over. Underneath it?

Silent Hill

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I finished up episode 4 this morning. Holy hell...

But there's a minor things I didn't see mentioned that I wanted to mention:

When talking to folks in the courtyard it looks like there's lightning and a storm in the distance, but when you're just walking around the sky is blue and relatively clear. I wonder if that's just a bug. Probably just a bug.

This is likely nothing.

EDIT: OH the most important thing no one has mentioned this all the sweet rear end Hot Dog related stuff in Episode 4. There's like 3 to 5 times where anthropomorphized hotdogs appear in it. Most importantly in Kate's room. Unfortunately Max doesn't comment on any of them.

D_W fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 3, 2015

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Ekusukariba posted:

its a rotting corpse and there's no disturbed dirt, Nathan isn't dead and its Rachel in the grave

You're probably right!! Forgot that there was grass on the ground.

Rincewind posted:

Nathan's been missing for, like, a couple of hours at most. Plus you literally find the jacket he's wearing in that photo sitting on the couch in the Dark Room.

Yeah it's been a bit since I finished it so my memory was hazy on those details. I also forget the time frame of the game really easily, I always think stuff is further away from each other than it actually is.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

D_W posted:

EDIT: OH the most important thing no one has mentioned this all the sweet rear end Hot Dog related stuff in Episode 4. There's like 3 to 5 times where anthropomorphized hotdogs appear in it. Most importantly in Kate's room. Unfortunately Max doesn't comment on any of them.

I suppose finding out your friend has an anthropomorphic food scat fetish can leave you speechless.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

seravid posted:

I suppose finding out your friend has an anthropomorphic food scat fetish can leave you speechless.

I'm sorry, it's not just your friend.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

DONTNOD's next story based adventure game to feature anthropomorphic Hot Dog man as main character.

if only...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I played EP4 off and on and finally finished it this weekend. :stare:

Apparently I was dumb and thought that DOTNOD forced a choice a major on us in the beginning. When you get to choose to kill or not kill Chloe, my game basically did NOT give me the prompt to warp back in time and undo that timeline if you say no... But it immediately gave it to me after you make Max kill Chloe. I think I rewinded a few times to see and was pretty pissed at that result. After the ending when I found out it WAS a choice i went and replayed that scene and apparently they make you wait like 30 seconds before showing the prompt. gently caress you DONTNOD you made my Max have blood on her hands that's hosed up.

• Locked thread