Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

How the gently caress do I dismantle items? Can I not do it yet? I'm almost about to do the griffin contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Soulex posted:

How the gently caress do I dismantle items? Can I not do it yet? I'm almost about to do the griffin contract.

Armorers/Smiths do that for you. When you go into the Craft or Shop screen for them, you can go left or right to other menus. Other than Dismantling you can also have them fix up items.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I've been getting weird artifacting thing in the game (I think that's the word). For example I was in a boat earlier and the area directly around my boat was just solid white, no water effects. Then again I was walking through a town in skellige and giant spinning white discs appeared from the ground and when I moved forward it fixed itself. Has anyone else seen anything like that? I'm mostly asking because I'm worried that it could be something with my ps4, like graphics card or something.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

pik_d posted:

Armorers/Smiths do that for you. When you go into the Craft or Shop screen for them, you can go left or right to other menus. Other than Dismantling you can also have them fix up items.

Thanks

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea I knew about that. I just wish that Geralt could've found a better, faster boat. Paint a racing stripe on that boat to make it go faster
There's this troll you could take it to ....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know how likely this is but it sure would be cool if they did an expansion where you play as Ciri. Obviously make her a proper character though with an inventory etc. Sometimes I wish she had been the protaganist her VA is better than Geralt and the is much more fun to play as with the speed and all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about playing as Ciri is how they gimped the in game menu. I understand why they removed all of the inventory and stuff. But they also made it so you can't get to the Characters and Tutorials tabs. There's tutorials for Ciri's controls, but you can't view them when you are actually playing as her.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
One thing I wanted to ask about Ciri, if she's supposed to have special magic powers why don't those replace Geralt's signs? All she can do to fight is swing her sword.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Beeez posted:

One thing I wanted to ask about Ciri, if she's supposed to have special magic powers why don't those replace Geralt's signs? All she can do to fight is swing her sword.

How many times did you get to play as Ciri? The game gives you more things to do with her later on.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Drewsky posted:

I've been getting weird artifacting thing in the game (I think that's the word). For example I was in a boat earlier and the area directly around my boat was just solid white, no water effects. Then again I was walking through a town in skellige and giant spinning white discs appeared from the ground and when I moved forward it fixed itself. Has anyone else seen anything like that? I'm mostly asking because I'm worried that it could be something with my ps4, like graphics card or something.

My ps4 version did the same. I get the white disc thing when I fast travel in Skellige when it's raining but it disappears pretty quickly.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Holy poo poo Where The Cat And Wolf Play might be the best quest in this game.

The fact the whole saga takes place at the apex of the decline of the entire Witcher caste is amazing, and this quest is a fantastic exploration of that decline.

To spoil it: I didn't kill Gaetan and I feel good about that. Witchers are long lived that I think he can go on to atone for what he did at Honorton and possibly elsewhere, just like Geralt has with Blaviken. When I read the letter and learned that he may well be the last Cat Witcher I felt even better. If Witchers are dying out Geralt shouldn't take it upon himself to kill other Witchers who make mistakes. Also, I got a nice sword out of it so that's okay.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

re: playing as Ciri

1) Hold R2

2) Release R2

3) Profit

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

poopzilla posted:

re: playing as Ciri

1) Hold R2

2) Release R2

3) Profit

I'm assuming that's the bip bip bip thing?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Nobody Interesting posted:

Holy poo poo Where The Cat And Wolf Play might be the best quest in this game.

The fact the whole saga takes place at the apex of the decline of the entire Witcher caste is amazing, and this quest is a fantastic exploration of that decline.

To spoil it: I didn't kill Gaetan and I feel good about that. Witchers are long lived that I think he can go on to atone for what he did at Honorton and possibly elsewhere, just like Geralt has with Blaviken. When I read the letter and learned that he may well be the last Cat Witcher I felt even better. If Witchers are dying out Geralt shouldn't take it upon himself to kill other Witchers who make mistakes. Also, I got a nice sword out of it so that's okay.

Or you know, he could go on to commit other atrocities which certainly seems to be his pattern. And Blaviken isn't a comparable situation at all. Geralt had to choose between a lesser/greater evil but he didn't butcher anyone who didn't have it coming. Cat Witcher slaughtered guilty and innocent alike just 'cause.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Senjuro posted:

Or you know, he could go on to commit other atrocities which certainly seems to be his pattern. And Blaviken isn't a comparable situation at all. Geralt had to choose between a lesser/greater evil but he didn't butcher anyone who didn't have it coming. Cat Witcher slaughtered guilty and innocent alike just 'cause.

I think you forgot to add they didn't pay him what they agreed then stabbed him with a pitchfork to that. It's not like he thought "Oh hey let's slaughter a village today".

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Senjuro posted:

What pik_d said. He got hosed over because justpeasantthings, and their response was unreasonable. That's not to say flipping out and murdering the entire population was reasonable, but it is at least understandable. I still like to think that Gaetan can learn from Honorton and go on to be a less murderous Witcher in future. Better that than the world lose another valuable Witcher.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

What pik_d said. He got hosed over because justpeasantthings, and their response was unreasonable. That's not to say flipping out and murdering the entire population was reasonable, but it is at least understandable. I still like to think that Gaetan can learn from Honorton and go on to be a less murderous Witcher in future. Better that than the world lose another valuable Witcher.

Hey, we can't kill thing. Let's hire some other thing to kill the first thing then lets kill THAT thing instead!!!

Like I get they're retarded backwater peasants, but how did they think that was gonna work!!!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I agree the village was awful in thinking they could just stab him and be done with it, but he methodically went around slaughtering the rest of the village, including people who presumably didn't have anything to do with backstabbing him. That was pretty unforgivable.

Interestingly, it doesn't go anywhere, but in the Skellige contract 'Dragon,' the Elder pays you a fraction of what you were promised if you tell him it wasn't actually a Dragon. It was really a 'LOL screw you Witcher' and the most you can do is shrug and wander off.

I beat the game today after ~130 hours and really, really loved it. I rushed parts of it since I knew I'd want to play through again once the expansions were out. I wondered something about the ending. So I got the Witcher Ciri ending, which counts as a good ending, but she went off into the Conjunction portal and I didn't learn what she did after that. She came back, so does that mean she solved the problem of the White Frost? That seems like a big deal, basically beating entropy. Of course, this is the Witcher, so I probably shouldn't worry about it. Who cares about the end of the world when your friends are in trouble?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beeez posted:

Ciri was trained as a sorceress, but (book spoilers) she burnt out her powers through literally channeling fire, completely ignoring Yennefer's instruction to never ever ever ever tap magical essence from flame.

But hey, it sort of saved her from dying in the middle of a desert.
So she now only has her dimension-hopping powers.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 3, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Twobirds posted:

I agree the village was awful in thinking they could just stab him and be done with it, but he methodically went around slaughtering the rest of the village, including people who presumably didn't have anything to do with backstabbing him. That was pretty unforgivable.
I feel like, even as a witcher, being stabbed by a pitchfork impairs his judgement. And how does he know who was innocent, and who's gonna try to finish him off?

Twobirds posted:

Interestingly, it doesn't go anywhere, but in the Skellige contract 'Dragon,' the Elder pays you a fraction of what you were promised if you tell him it wasn't actually a Dragon. It was really a 'LOL screw you Witcher' and the most you can do is shrug and wander off.
I wondered about that. I lied to the guy because I was pretty sure that would happen.

Twobirds posted:

I beat the game today after ~130 hours and really, really loved it. I rushed parts of it since I knew I'd want to play through again once the expansions were out. I wondered something about the ending. So I got the Witcher Ciri ending, which counts as a good ending, but she went off into the Conjunction portal and I didn't learn what she did after that. She came back, so does that mean she solved the problem of the White Frost? That seems like a big deal, basically beating entropy. Of course, this is the Witcher, so I probably shouldn't worry about it. Who cares about the end of the world when your friends are in trouble?
I was a little sad we didn't really get to see what when down there, but I imagine it's that kinda thing where maybe they felt they couldn't do it justice.

I also wonder how what she did affected the Aen Elle homeworld. Like did it magically get better or is it too late for that world no matter what Ciri did?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Twobirds posted:

You don't leave a job half-finished. It's unprofessional.

And you especially don't leave a sole survivor when massacring a peasant village. Everyone knows how that ends.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

pik_d posted:

How many times did you get to play as Ciri? The game gives you more things to do with her later on.

Ah, I'm only near the end of the Act 1 story in Velen so I guess that's why.

ZearothK posted:

Ciri was trained as a sorceress, but (book spoilers) she burnt out her powers through literally channeling fire, completely ignoring Yennefer's instruction to never ever ever ever tap magical essence from flame.

But hey, it sort of saved her from dying in the middle of a desert.
So she now only has her dimension-hopping powers.

I see, good to know.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know how likely this is but it sure would be cool if they did an expansion where you play as Ciri. Obviously make her a proper character though with an inventory etc. Sometimes I wish she had been the protaganist her VA is better than Geralt and the is much more fun to play as with the speed and all.

Have her cut through a mini-adventure in the alluded cyber world serving as an expansion and a preview of the next IP.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of nerdy poo poo, has anyone read the first Witcher graphic novel? I did, and I liked it. Did anyone else like it? Because I liked it and we can be friends.

I'm reading the ones now called Fox Children. I like it!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It doesn't matter what that one guy did, all Cat school witchers are scum.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Woah GeForce Experience actually works. I'm not hitting 60fps all the time but things are running better than the 20-25 I was getting before, and things don't even look any shittier. This is on a 660Ti.

Cave of Dreams chat: That quest's a loving cop-out. The fight with Imlerith at the end is basically a repeat of the end of the tutorial. Jorund died for nothing. Christ.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

It doesn't matter what that one guy did, all Cat school witchers are scum.

Do we know this? The only Cat I'm really aware of is the one who is completely bonkers in the cave beneath Novigrad, but reading the notes it turns out he only got into that state because of the hideous experiments the dude was running on him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

She can teleport-dash? All of her other powers are only used in cutscenes. Honestly I think the Ciri sections were designed for people who just want to play straight through the main story and not spend hundreds of hours on the open world. The difficulty of the Ciri sections is completely independent of an build choices you make as Geralt, so it gives people who are playing through on easy difficulties a balanced, pre-tuned action gameplay experience, even if they are doing something dumb like using a blunt axe as their main weapon.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly like the Ciri sections, how they contribute to the story, and how they show us more of her character, but they are practically and arcade hack and slash compared to the rest of the game. While I'm not sure that the reasons I suggest above are accurate, it's not like they made these sections like this by accident.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but Ciri at the end seems like she can handle her poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Do we know this? The only Cat I'm really aware of is the one who is completely bonkers in the cave beneath Novigrad, but reading the notes it turns out he only got into that state because of the hideous experiments the dude was running on him.

There's the guy from Where the Cat and Wolf Play, and Jad Karadin. Lambert made it sound like his cat friend was okay though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There's the guy from Where the Cat and Wolf Play, and Jad Karadin. Lambert made it sound like his cat friend was okay though.

OTOH Lambert is an rear end in a top hat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but Ciri at the end seems like she can handle her poo poo.

Yeah, I'm not really saying it's a bad thing, and Ciri is definitly a badass. When Geralt calls her out when she says she's just as good of a fighter as him, I got the impression that mostly what she was lacking was knowing from experience when and how to act, not her technical abilities.

I'm gonna take a break from building mad-max style hotrods in Besieged long enough to try to beat Wild hunt tonight and tomorrow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Could Ciri beat up Ronda Rousey?

IMO, yes.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think it's Cat school that ended up taking on contracts on people and are one of the reasons people don't like Witchers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Could Ciri beat up Ronda Rousey?

IMO, yes.

Ciri IS Ronda Rousey. She's a source who travels between realities, remember?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah, I'm not really saying it's a bad thing, and Ciri is definitly a badass. When Geralt calls her out when she says she's just as good of a fighter as him, I got the impression that mostly what she was lacking was knowing from experience when and how to act, not her technical abilities.

Her reflexes will never be as fast as Geralt's nor will she ever have his muscle density.
On the other hand Geralt can't teleport behind people and shiv them in the kidneys. I call it a wash.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Romes128 posted:

I think it's Cat school that ended up taking on contracts on people and are one of the reasons people don't like Witchers.

People don't like witchers because they stand their and dicker with you for ten minutes to get an extra 20 gold on a contract and then demand you play gwent with them before they'll do anything.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Litany Unheard posted:

People don't like witchers because they stand their and dicker with you for ten minutes to get an extra 20 gold on a contract and then demand you play gwent with them before they'll do anything.

Witching priorities :

Play Gwent
Get money
Everything else

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Reaaaaaly would like a gold cheat.

Special arrows are now sell-able. Go to a blacksmith, craft some arrows with cheap materials, and sell them for absurd amounts of money. It's basically a gold cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Special arrows are now sell-able. Go to a blacksmith, craft some arrows with cheap materials, and sell them for absurd amounts of money. It's basically a gold cheat.
Thank gently caress. I hated dropping them because of RPG OCD, but they're both useless and heavy.