Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

e X posted:

edit: Also,I am pretty sure BoTG would have been the same way if they hadn't brought in Toriyama. the basic premise is more or less the same as in every other movie.

If it was like the others, Goku would have gone God at the last minute and killed Beerus with the Mega Ultra God Kamehameh Spirit Bomb.

projecthalaxy posted:

I love Bojack Unbound because of how clearly it seems to be the writers having all these other ideas for scenes from the Cell Games and Cell/Gohan, so they decided to just do it again.

All the old movies are alternate takes on canon, except Broly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Stairmaster posted:

think to yourself

why did he use a hyphen instead of a comma to seperate those two

huh didn't notice the hyphen there, well now I feel silly

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Bee posted:

Is this the part where we all bring up Gotenks fighting Hitler? Because I feel like this is that part.

God dammit. Okay, that was cool. But Gotenks in general is cool. And a good part does not make an entire movie.:colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shinjobi posted:

God dammit. Okay, that was cool. But Gotenks in general is cool. And a good part does not make an entire movie.:colbert:

It's a good thing the rest of it is also good.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Steven Universe plays with a bunch of fun DBZ gimmicks, like families with food based names. Weird li'l kid Onion and his big brother Sour Cream both live with their mother Vidalia while their father Yellowtail is away fishing.

These guys arrived on Earth in round little space pods from a spacefaring race of planet conquerors to fight the main characters. That sort of thing.

Is this show any good? It seems harmless enough but i've heard some things about it becoming the new MLP and, well, I'm not sure that's a journey I'd like to go on given the audience track record :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Is this show any good? It seems harmless enough but i've heard some things about it becoming the new MLP and, well, I'm not sure that's a journey I'd like to go on given the audience track record :ohdear:

Stephen Universe is to my understanding a good show that has a fanbase that has gotten entirely up its own rear end. It's basically the new Homestuck/Adventure Time/whathaveyou.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Parrotine posted:

You should probably judge shows by their own merits and not by if someone's going to call you a fag or whatever on the Internet.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Stephen Universe is to my understanding a good show that has a fanbase that has gotten entirely up its own rear end. It's basically the new Homestuck/Adventure Time/whathaveyou.

Ok, that sounds about right. Guess I'll check out a couple of the stronger episodes and then move on to other pastures

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Steven Universe fandom is way more the Homestuck fandom than bronies. Which, yeah, is bad in it's own ways, but bronies are a whole nother beast, mostly white male 4channers, while Steven Universe is tumblr to the extreme.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

WickedHate posted:

The Steven Universe fandom is way more the Homestuck fandom than bronies. Which, yeah, is bad in it's own ways, but bronies are a whole nother beast, mostly white male 4channers, while Steven Universe is tumblr to the extreme.

I like Steven Universe, but both of those sound awful in every, possible way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's a good thing the rest of it is also good.

All I'm saying is that while the show has Vegeto, who is absurdly powerful but also has an entertaining personality to go with it, the movies have the likes of Broly, Gogeta, and other villains I can't remember where their entire is gimmick is "look really cool but have less character than a saibamen."

Everyone I knew as a kid was obsessed with Broly, and I just never got it. Overmuscled angry dude. Okay....and?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
For me it's not Broly being a big angry man it was almost a whole movie of everybody getting trashed and Vegeta pussing out which you don't see much.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
How does one go about watching Dragonball or DBZ these days without dropping a fortune on over nine thousand discs? Is it on any streaming services?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mogomra posted:

How does one go about watching Dragonball or DBZ these days without dropping a fortune on over nine thousand discs? Is it on any streaming services?

It airs on television on Cartoon Network (IIRC) if you're willing to go that route.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mogomra posted:

All of Dragon Ball and the original Z (and GT...) is available on Funimation's website, though you need to pay a subscription if you want dubs instead of subs. Kai is a lot iffier - I don't think it's legally streamed at all.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Parrotine posted:

It's a good show that has a lot of progressive elements to it. The Fandom is lovely and can be entirely ignored. Despite how the Fandom talks it up, the show is very quiet with being progressive and doesn't loudly proclaim how socially progressive it is. If you're going to watch it, skip episode 1 the first time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Shinjobi posted:

Everyone I knew as a kid was obsessed with Broly, and I just never got it. Overmuscled angry dude. Okay....and?

Super Saiyans are cool and Broly is like a SUPER Super Saiyan and so that's double cool, PLUS he's EVIL. Crazy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the people who watched it were pretty chill until a lesbian romance was introduced then it suddenly became the most progressive deep and meaningful show ever, and internet weirdos started making being a SU fan part of their identity. As long as you ignore the creepy fanbase, its a fun chill show that manages to be fairly progressive.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

It's well written and fun to look at but it's full of Rebecca Sugar's trademark boring songs and talky feely moments.

6/10

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, the people who watched it were pretty chill until a lesbian romance was introduced then it suddenly became the most progressive deep and meaningful show ever, and internet weirdos started making being a SU fan part of their identity. As long as you ignore the creepy fanbase, its a fun chill show that manages to be fairly progressive.

Eh, I think it was always kinda like that. Most of the fanbase came straight from Adventure Time, which was pretty notorious for the :tvtropes:

Weirdly enough I think the sweeter and fluffier the show, the more fans become obsessed with seeing everything as a rape/virginity analogy. There's plenty of maturity grandstanding about Dragon Ball, but it's about the violence that's actually in the show, not elaborate theories on how Goku's Spirit Bomb is about domestic abuse.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 3, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
If anyone is interested in owning the series, Kai bluray and digital are on sale at a steep discount from their crazy unreasonable prices. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on all 4 current seasons. I've never actually watched Kai so I figured it was time.

http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/Shop_Filter.ss?filterbyshow=96&scategory=534842&sf=sf

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Every fandom has terrible people in it (including DBZ) and you should judge something on it's own merits instead of worrying about how its fans act.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Ignore what everyone else is saying, Steven Universe is a really good show(indeed one of the best Cartoons on the air currently), and while there is a fair amount of idiots in the fandom, it nowhere near approaches the idiocy of most of the other fandoms mentioned especially MLP's, so go watch it and enjoy it(also there's a corrected official episode order on IanJ's Tumblr, as a couple episodes got shuffled around during broadcast)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

New Leaf posted:

If anyone is interested in owning the series, Kai bluray and digital are on sale at a steep discount from their crazy unreasonable prices. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on all 4 current seasons. I've never actually watched Kai so I figured it was time.

http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/Shop_Filter.ss?filterbyshow=96&scategory=534842&sf=sf

It's not just Kai, every Dragonball DVD/Blu-Ray is on sale.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's an actual Sanic the ????? reference in SU.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
E: All of DB and I think DBZ are on Netflix.

My One Weird Trick is ignoring fan bases all together. I think Adventure Time (show and comic) is really great and I had no idea fans of it had a reputation.

Heads up: Super ep 4 finally got subbed, about 12 hours later than usual.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

VanSandman posted:

There's an actual Sanic the ????? reference in SU.

Yes, plenty of references to other things as well, including several to Revolutionary Girl Utena

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

zelah posted:

E: All of DB and I think DBZ are on Netflix.

Disk only, not streaming.

Edit: Yeah Japan doesn't understand their own creation in King Kai.. Voice doesn't fit the actions in the least.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 3, 2015

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
"End soon with that."

For a sub group that's proud of themselves to the point where they put their own logo in the opening of the show their work seems kind of bad.

EDIT: Farther into the episode now. These subs are really, really bad.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 3, 2015

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Dangerous Person posted:

"End soon with that."

For a sub group that's proud of themselves to the point where they put their own logo in the opening of the show their work seems kind of bad.

EDIT: Farther into the episode now. These subs are really, really bad.

Not sure which release you are watching, but DragonTeam seems to be the best fansub group for Super.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The ones I'm watching are by Kami Fansubs. I guess they just wanted to be the first ones out?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Disk only, not streaming.

It was for a bit at least. Bummer they pulled it off.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I really like the super thick linework in Super. Reminds me of art from various DS or Nintendo games.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Emperor Pilaf is so moé.

I'm a little disappointed he didn't freak out upon seeing Goten like in BoGs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Emperor Pilaf is so moé.

I'm a little disappointed he didn't freak out upon seeing Goten like in BoGs.

I think he did actually. I can swear I can remember him mistaking him for Goku for a moment.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hmm no, he didn't freak out when he saw Goten in this one. The only freak out was Trunks asking them where their cameras were.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I don't know what moé means but the Pilaf Gang is real cool. I loved the shot of Dende and Piccolo hanging out. I kinda get why people want the action/new stuff to start, but this is such a good show. Pilaf fishing, Piccolo blinking, Vegeta eating ice cream (dot tumblr dot com), how can you hate a show that brought you all this??

E: I looked it up, ugh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Hmm no, he didn't freak out when he saw Goten in this one. The only freak out was Trunks asking them where their cameras were.

Must have misremembered again. Not like it's the first time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

zelah posted:

I don't know what moé means

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Covok posted:

Must have misremembered again. Not like it's the first time.

Probably thinking of when Tao met Gohan

• Locked thread