Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

If you're playing Arkham Knight at all you're probably getting poo poo frame rates.

That's actually completely true right now. Especially since the game's got a built in 30fps cap if you don't edit an ini file. Rockysteady, don't outsource your ports jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Zzulu posted:

PCs last a lot longer nowadays compared to a few years ago, for games. I built mine like 5 years ago and I haven't had to upgrade anything yet and I can play any game on high settings still. Companies just arent pushing graphics hard anymore so there's no real reason to replace your hardware very often

Console generations lasting longer means a gaming PC will last longer too.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It was nevertheless a good thing that the new consoles finally came out, it meant that multiplatform games could evolve beyond the cave-man level they were stuck at.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Battle at hoover dam, look, there's five enemies on screen at once! This is truly a most desperate of battles.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Battle at hoover dam, look, there's five enemies on screen at once! This is truly a most desperate of battles.

I already made this observation. TRY TO KEEP UP, PLEB.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JackBadass posted:

I already made this observation. TRY TO KEEP UP, PLEB.

I got a probation for making a similar post way back in april 2012. "Keep us posted on your thoughts on consoles there PC warrior guy" they told me.

I will.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oblomov posted:

Calculator games are cheaper on average though.

Only if you ignore used games, of which there are none on the computer. If Fallout 4 does as well as Fallout 3 there are going to be used copies flooding the pawn shops 6 months after release for $5. The only thing more common than Fallout 3 I have seen in the used game sections are Call of Duty, and Sports Games.

I'm a patient guy, I don't need to play a game on release day. I would much rather wait a few months to see if it is actually good and pay 1/4 the price for it, which is why I prefer consoles. PS4s will likely get a price drop by then as well.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

oblomov posted:

There is common sense though. They will have to have mods curated first. That's perhaps is not bad considering some poo poo on Nexus. The thing though a lot of more complex mods use various extenders to the game which I cant see working on consoles.
The Steam Workshop already caused a fuckton of whining about how evil the Script Extender was. It's going to be fun having the console playerbase join in on the bitching about how modders are too lazy/mean/incompetent/whatever to make a non-script extender version.

It's also going to be interesting to see how Bethesda thinks they can handle problems like compatibility on the consoles. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda is going to completely ignore it like they did with Skyrim's Workshop. I mean, beyond finally implementing their own loadorder manager tool (an incredibly half assed one that is) Bethesda really didn't do much to enable you to actually use the Workshop for modding.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ilustforponydeath posted:

It was nevertheless a good thing that the new consoles finally came out, it meant that multiplatform games could evolve beyond the cave-man level they were stuck at.

This, this newest 'generation' of game engines is a huge step up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

computer parts posted:

If you're playing Arkham Knight at all you're probably getting poo poo frame rates.

Yeah and no matter how many frames per second you're getting, your actual playtime before crashing can actually be measured in seconds.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, I'm sure graphics mods aren't going to be a thing on consoles. I suppose if someone spends a lot of time optimizing the poo poo out of the textures, maybe, but I doubt you're gonna be getting the crazy 4K textures you see in Skyrim texture replacements.

In addition, I'm wondering how or if script extenders would work on consoles, as they're required for a lot of mods with more complex things.

Like some smug Wizard of Oz, Pete Hines stood up before the velvet curtain of an E3 camera and lied to us about how we were going to be able to do things with Doom 4 modding--amazing things. As the screen behind him demonstrated the meticulously scripted actions of some unseen player, he explained that these powerful but simple tools would be accessible to all walks of life...and that they would revolutionize the way we thought of modding a multi-platform game. For brief moments, we all caught glimpses of somebody using SnapMap to recreate the Taj Mahal; native scripting and animation tools to reenact opening scenes from beloved 90's sitcoms; plug-and-play "mutation" features that could dynamically alter the game's very mechanics.

Then, later, they wheeled the pale skeleton of John Carmack in front of a webcam so that he could explain that the only thing Doom 4 would ship with--the only thing Doom 4 would ever get, in fact--was a version of SnapMap that was incapable of making outdoor environments, "large rooms", or modifying gameplay in any way. "There are only a handful of rooms and objects to choose from, but it's like Binary Code," a visibly frail Carmack explained. "You may only have ones and zeroes, but seemingly limitless permutations can spawn from these two things."

Considering that Fallout 4 was shown on the same stage (and by the same people) as Doom 4, it's a safe bet that the much-touted mod support for console versions of Fallout 4 is not what it seems. I predict that at some point in October, an agitated T. Howard is going to yank back on that proverbial curtain, revealing "SnapMap v1.1" for the console versions of their flagship game, except with even less utility (because of the lack of multiplayer support). "You won't be able to make new quests or modify NPCs and objects, but you will be able to build and connect prefabricated rooms which can then be explored in a separate worldspace from the rest of the singleplayer game." To illustrate, he shows us a small maze that he has constructed from sheet metal sheds; somehow he gets lost while exploring it and, flustered, ends the demonstration early--but not before making a strange reference to "the Minecraft experience."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rutibex posted:

Only if you ignore used games, of which there are none on the computer. If Fallout 4 does as well as Fallout 3 there are going to be used copies flooding the pawn shops 6 months after release for $5. The only thing more common than Fallout 3 I have seen in the used game sections are Call of Duty, and Sports Games.

I'm a patient guy, I don't need to play a game on release day. I would much rather wait a few months to see if it is actually good and pay 1/4 the price for it, which is why I prefer consoles. PS4s will likely get a price drop by then as well.

It'll be on Steam sale for like half price within a few months.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

2house2fly posted:

It'll be on Steam sale for like half price within a few months.

It should be on Steam sale at launch, given it's just an overglorified rental service.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Considering that Fallout 4 was shown on the same stage (and by the same people) as Doom 4, it's a safe bet that the much-touted mod support for console versions of Fallout 4 is not what it seems. I predict that at some point in October, an agitated T. Howard is going to yank back on that proverbial curtain, revealing "SnapMap v1.1" for the console versions of their flagship game, except with even less utility (because of the lack of multiplayer support). "You won't be able to make new quests or modify NPCs and objects, but you will be able to build and connect prefabricated rooms which can then be explored in a separate worldspace from the rest of the singleplayer game." To illustrate, he shows us a small maze that he has constructed from sheet metal sheds; somehow he gets lost while exploring it and, flustered, ends the demonstration early--but not before making a strange reference to "the Minecraft experience."

I don't think this is a bad idea at all, and I think if they went with this approach the "map editor" or whatever would be more robust than the one in Doom. It could be a "closed and safe" kind of modding environment but still be fairly robust, like something resembling the RPG Maker games on PS2, or something like Little Big Planet. It would also make it a lot easier pill to swallow for SONY/Microsoft, a closed "map editor" style modding system wouldn't need any kind of per-approval moderation, there are already lots of games that let you share custom levels on consoles.

Of course that sort of system wouldn't allow the importing of new meshes and textures, or new voiced dialog, but it certinaly could include a quest editor, or an editor for making custom objects (that use already existing meshes and textures), and of course making new dungeons/mazes filled with monsters would be easiest of all. If they go that route it also means that console players will get to play with the editor, which might be the best possible thing Fallout 4 could do.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Although you will not be able to add external meshes and textures into console Fallout 4 mods, you will be able to choose from a pre-selected range of anime hairstyles to implement in your mod, to emulate the PC modding experience.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Constant Hamprince posted:

Although you will not be able to add external meshes and textures into console Fallout 4 mods, you will be able to choose from a pre-selected range of anime hairstyles to implement in your mod, to emulate the PC modding experience.

Don't forget realistic breasts!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

enraged_camel posted:

Don't forget realistic breasts!

modders have no concept of "realistic," when it comes to breasts especially.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

JackBadass posted:

It should be on Steam sale at launch, given it's just an overglorified rental service.

I don't even know what the gently caress you're talking about at this point or what you're trying to say but it's funny to read.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

King Vidiot posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress you're talking about at this point or what you're trying to say but it's funny to read.

When God removed my Baculum He used it to create JackBadass.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

I'd dumb it down for you, but I don't think I could make it any more simple.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

JackBadass posted:

I just hope they have a few guns that don't look like this. So far, I haven't seen any.

well we've seen the 10mm pistol, a double barrel shotgun, laser musket, minigun and I'm sure there is going to be more.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Syrant posted:

well we've seen the 10mm pistol, a double barrel shotgun, laser musket, minigun and I'm sure there is going to be more.

I don't think I've seen the shotgun yet, but the 10mm pistol and the laser musket look stupid as poo poo.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

oblomov posted:

There is common sense though. They will have to have mods curated first. That's perhaps is not bad considering some poo poo on Nexus. The thing though a lot of more complex mods use various extenders to the game which I cant see working on consoles.

When asked if Bethesda will approve modes[sic] before being posted through Bethesda.net, Howard said, "We don't want to. We'll see how we have to go through that.
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-bethesdas-todd-howard-talks-about-fallout-4-mod-support

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eventually the universe will undego heat death and when that happens I won't be able to play Fallout 4 any more. loving stupid steam rental service I didn't pay for this amateur poo poo.

£50 Beth$oft, I didn't pay full price for a game to not have it outlast the planet being swallowed by the sun. I fully expect to be playing GOTY 2015 FALLOUT 4 on the SAME PC when I am eighty seven todd howard. Why do you lie to me todd newell about your distribution RENTAL PLATFORM.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 3, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are the people who consider NV to be the worst game of all times still posting?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JackBadass posted:

I don't think I've seen the shotgun yet, but the 10mm pistol and the laser musket look stupid as poo poo.

That pistol looks like the gun from Blade Runner, and therefore quite cool; the musket looks a bit silly, but also is obviously a unique weapon as far as its action goes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Are the people who consider NV to be the worst game of all times still posting?

No, nor were they ever posting.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

JackBadass posted:

I'd dumb it down for you, but I don't think I could make it any more simple.

I jumped ahead thirty pages, bravo on keeping the low-effort trolling going this long. I mean, it's in the easiest thread to troll outside of D&D so that's not a huge accomplishment but still :golfclap:

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"So, it's fun to build up something yourself in the game, that usually you'll find that, that we have built for you *grins*. Umm...there are many large sites in the game world where we allow you to build, and you can even run Brahmin caravans between your settlements... *apologetically* Keep in mind, like most things we do, uhh, this is an optional part of the game that you can do if you want to. It's just one part of a huge game, but it's really, really great for Fallout. We just absolutely love this feature." *big fallout boy distraction* *applause*

Flaky fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 3, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

That pistol looks like the gun from Blade Runner, and therefore quite cool; the musket looks a bit silly, but also is obviously a unique weapon as far as its action goes.

Given how little we've seen of the game, I don't think we can say it's obviously a unique weapon. As for the pistol, it looks stupid. Hopefully they have some normal looking guns like the 9mm from NV.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I'll just call him a troll so no one suspects that I'm the troll! The perfect cover up!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flaky posted:

"So, it's fun to build up something yourself in the game, that usually you'll find that, that we have built for you *grins*. Umm...there are many large sites in the game world where we allow you to build, and you can even run Brahmin caravans between your settlements... *apologetically* Keep in mind, like most things we do, uhh, this is an optional part of the game that you can do if you want to. It's just one part of a huge game, but it's really, really great for Fallout. We just absolutely love this feature." *big fallout boy distraction* *applause*

This makes a lot of sense, the "modding" on the consoles will just be the "town creation" mini-game with unlimited resources and the area restrictions turned off.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Flaky posted:

A pity that the caveats about all of this suggest the Build Your Own Junktown part is probably going to be shallow fluff and not the focus of the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I figured the console modding would literally just be downloading mods made on the PC. Like giving consoles access to the steam workshop, basically. The Bethesda.net service would do all the downloading and mod installing work so nothing complicated like the script extender could be done for it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

JackBadass posted:

Given how little we've seen of the game, I don't think we can say it's obviously a unique weapon. As for the pistol, it looks stupid. Hopefully they have some normal looking guns like the 9mm from NV.

This is Fallout, there is no place for normal looking weapons.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
No, there are normal guns and then there are the parts and mods that you can slap onto it to transform the weapon into the ugliest death machine in the wastes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

I figured the console modding would literally just be downloading mods made on the PC. Like giving consoles access to the steam workshop, basically. The Bethesda.net service would do all the downloading and mod installing work so nothing complicated like the script extender could be done for it.

Yeah, through steam it's as easy as clicking subscribe on a mod, and then checking or unchecking a mod at game launch. No computer fuckery necessary unless you wanted to get stupid with it and download a billion of them and have to worry about load orders and stuff. But I can't imagine that you'd be able to do that in a stable way on consoles at all anyway since you can't even really do it on a PC. There will probably be a big selection as usual, but if you download a whole bunch of Project Nevada type things, I'd imagine the game is going to lag and crash on you nonstop.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yeah I doubt there will be big project nevada styled things for the console. No MCM and such. But like I can see the console mod workshop letting console users browse through the PC made like, guns and followers and stuff.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I doubt there will be big project nevada styled things for the console. No MCM and such. But like I can see the console mod workshop letting console users browse through the PC made like, guns and followers and stuff.

That's the least I expect of the console mods. I imagine it would be on par with Stream Workshop at least if not worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pre-ordered the game for the PS4, can't wait to throw myself into the horrid glitchy mess that this game will probably be!

• Locked thread