Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

narm00 posted:

Huh. Ian Watson's said Masquerade 4th is going to be post-Gehenna (or equivalent).

Welp. I wasn't planning on getting this as I've moved onto nwod, but how can I pass that setting up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Can you even have the Cam / Sab in a post-Gehenna world? The central question around the existence of the antediluvians and the True Black Hand et al metaplot got answered already.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
What's the word on V20 Dark Ages? I'll never get to use it, but is it fun reading?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Gerund posted:

Can you even have the Cam / Sab in a post-Gehenna world? The central question around the existence of the antediluvians and the True Black Hand et al metaplot got answered already.

I'd expect a lot of upheaval but institutions outlive the ideology that spawned them all the time

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Gerund posted:

You're asking a lot from a 1099 company. It's like asking an Uber driver to fix your car.

The features I've described are already in the nWoD 1e line. They were just strangely absent from books like V20; it was rather noticeable when trying to figure out the effects of some Discipline or another, and having to dig through a dense column of text to figure out how it actually worked.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Dave Brookshaw on Deviant posted:

If you were disappointed by Beast being high powered and not visibly monstrous to bystanders, Deviant is the exact opposite.
:getin:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gerund posted:

If they're using one of the Gehennas from the book, I would think the way to go would be that vampires have been exposed, the Antediluvians rose, Jan Pieterzoon's Nephtali (did Jan ever do anything interesting before telling Hardestadt to gently caress himself?) brought them down with the cooperation of humanity, and now the remnants of the Camarilla and Sabbat (their primary purposes now completely obsolete) have to deal with a young, dynamic, but suddenly purposeless Nephtali comprised primarily of younger vampires who don't trust either sect's remaining elders. The problem is that with Gehenna past and vampires exposed, none of the three factions has a driving purpose...

I dunno, I'm just spitballing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

if this is more on "play one of those mutants chased by mobs the X-Men always show up to rescue" I'm down with that

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

But will they have learned the most important lesson from Beast?

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Trollhawke posted:

The most important lesson you can learn about Beast is "don't play Beast."

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
What if it goes on with Hunter's ending with everyone becoming Imbued and humanity rising up to fight and take back the night?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

While that sounds fun I don' t think that would really survive as anything like Vampire; it would be something else that, while really cool, would probably be very different.

I foresee two possibilities. One, they use a very watered down version of Gehenna that allows Masquerade's core conceits to continue more or less undeterred without the nagging sword of Damacles hanging over it the whole time. Or two, they set it after some kind of second Burning Times in the wake of Gehenna that means they really, really need to be serious about the Masquerade this time no seriously would you guys cut it out.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Assuming that they are going to want 3rd/4th editions of the other old World of Darkness games, there are basically two ways they can go with it. If they don't care about permitting crossover games, they can just go with whatever the most interesting apocalypse scenario from the last books is for the line. If they want want to preserve some sort of crossover potential, though, they'll probably just create a new apocalypse taking elements from the different lines and that will be the new setting.

Of course, what we really want to know is Will Saulot be a huge jerk or a messiah in this brave new canon?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trollhawke posted:

Do everything the opposite from Beast like actually delivering on promises and not making it a hamfisted metaphor.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Perhaps the Gehenna will just be that the Antes rose for a couple of years, ate a shitton of elders, and went back to bed. All the noddists, etc, get hugely disappointed - it ain't the end of days afterall. No glorious crusade of blood, no culmination of the ancient jyhad. Just a loving terrifying time to be a vampire and the complete disintegration of the social order.

EDIT:
This thread is going to get weird. Some very reasonable voices in there.

But then you hit the guy wanting them to cut out the Giovanni entirely and make the Setites into a Baali bloodline rather than a clan. Or even post 2, which is immediately leaping on the 'assamites are terrorists' train that hasn't been A Thing in the setting since early 2E, or the voices that don't seem to have grasped that there was actually quite a bit of nuance and complexity to the Setites by the close of Revised. I predict a lot of that sort of thing as we close in on 4th Edition, with people wanting a completely different setting, not actually having read half the books about what they complain about, or basically arguing for VtR but with a splash of VtM paint on it.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 2, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't see how you could do the owod vampire post gehenna especially with a metaplot. The looming apocalypse is such a high stakes plot that nothing can top it. I guess you can shamble ahead with new enemies out of left field like every other scifi / fantasy franchise that for money went on beyond its natural coherent ending: death note, dbz, the star wars eu, terminator, Buffy, supernatural, etc

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I do like low-powered stuff so i'm into this. Wonder if you can make the Hidden from that source mod?

Edit: Also, where did you see him post that?

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 2, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tezzor posted:

I don't see how you could do the owod vampire post gehenna especially with a metaplot.

Maybe it'd be a post-apoc thing? What I'd like to know is if they'd include the other apocalypses as well; I don't know, it could be cool.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

UrbicaMortis posted:

I do like low-powered stuff so i'm into this. Wonder if you can make the Hidden from that source mod?

Edit: Also, where did you see him post that?

I remember, way back when the nWoD first came out, the lower power level was seen as a selling point, since the oWoD got really ridiculous at times.

Another reason the power creep is a disappointment.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
So GenCon is over now, and I'm in my room somewhere near Indy airport ready for the long trip home tomorrow.

Deviant, then.

Deviant is about people turned into supernatural beings by human actors - their transformation is "messy" compared to other beings, and they don't end up with an entirely stable "template". Most are the result of human conspiracies, cults, mad science, and other groups. Even those whose change was self-inflicted are sought as assets. PC Deviants are the ones who've escaped the clutches of their conspiracy - for now - and have a thirst for revenge.

Deviant is Sense8, Orphan Black, Fringe, The Fly, Hulk, Guyver, Tetsuo The Iron Man, Akira, Hollow Man, Jekyll, Videodrome, Existenz, Scanners, Dark Angel, several versions of Beauty and the Beast, John Doe, Kyle XY... One thing I quickly realized after Rose and Rich handed me the blurb you've seen in the catalog and asked me to make a game out of it is how much inspirational media there is for it, which we've not tapped so far.

Also yes, many (but, crucially, not all) powers will be physically obvious, and yes, because the bulk of their foes are normal (albeit organized) people, they will trend to being the street level. The potential for Akira or Dr Manhatten-style blowouts will be there, but most Deviants will be the lowest-powered full game protagonists bar Hunters.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So is there no presentations with audio and video like there were last year? I remember writing up summaries of the panels last year and was looking forward to doing the same this year.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Pope Guilty posted:

So is there no presentations with audio and video like there were last year? I remember writing up summaries of the panels last year and was looking forward to doing the same this year.

They usually get put up the after GenCon ends, so they'll probably be up some time this week.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So are the Deviant enemies normal dudes except for just Zoanoids enemy Deviants or will there bee a third party?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Well, forget playing a demisplat mixed group, this sounds like it'll be my street level game instead!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Blockhouse posted:

So are the Deviant enemies normal dudes except for just Zoanoids enemy Deviants or will there bee a third party?

Alchemists. But, the rich evil ones.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

tatankatonk posted:

Alchemists. But, the rich evil ones.

The basic concepts of the rich evil Alchemists as the antagonists makes a whole lot more sense for Deviant than for Promethean. I mean, look at the bad guys in half those pieces of media that got reffed. Especially the more recent ones.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So GenCon is over now, and I'm in my room somewhere near Indy airport ready for the long trip home tomorrow.

Deviant, then.

Deviant is about people turned into supernatural beings by human actors - their transformation is "messy" compared to other beings, and they don't end up with an entirely stable "template". Most are the result of human conspiracies, cults, mad science, and other groups. Even those whose change was self-inflicted are sought as assets. PC Deviants are the ones who've escaped the clutches of their conspiracy - for now - and have a thirst for revenge.

Deviant is Sense8, Orphan Black, Fringe, The Fly, Hulk, Guyver, Tetsuo The Iron Man, Akira, Hollow Man, Jekyll, Videodrome, Existenz, Scanners, Dark Angel, several versions of Beauty and the Beast, John Doe, Kyle XY... One thing I quickly realized after Rose and Rich handed me the blurb you've seen in the catalog and asked me to make a game out of it is how much inspirational media there is for it, which we've not tapped so far.

Also yes, many (but, crucially, not all) powers will be physically obvious, and yes, because the bulk of their foes are normal (albeit organized) people, they will trend to being the street level. The potential for Akira or Dr Manhatten-style blowouts will be there, but most Deviants will be the lowest-powered full game protagonists bar Hunters.

I really wish this was the crossover splat instead of Beast. Experimental subjects pumped with ectoplasm, genetically modified with Werewolf genes, surgically grafted parts from Angels and Demons, replacing their heart with a Pyros pump, and so on. More than one might even be applied and depending on the supernatural types they're around, their abilities resonate with the originals and can supplement them with abilities outside of the splat's purview (say being a muscle for a Coterie of Vampires since the Deviant had their organs replaced with a Werewolf's and can go into a semblance of Gauru) while learning how to better use their own abilities (say watching one of the Vampires use a Discipline like Celerity and being better at using it themselves).

There are some similarities in origin to Prometheans which probably should be addressed and ironed out besides Prommie being made out of non-living subjects and Deviants made out o living ones.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The original pitch to me sounded like a cross between Promethean and Hunter, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this hammers out in detail.

I'm withholding any judgments until then because, well, this poo poo is exceptionally hard to judge initially. I thought I'd hate Demon from the pitch; I love Demon. I thought Beast sounded mysterious and hard to understand; I hate Beast.

So basically: good luck with that, I am gonna try very hard not to think about it much until it's in a readable form.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm tentatively excited, except for being reminded that Beast isn't even out so it can't yet shuffle off to an ignominious one-and-done line-demise forever.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Two and done, it's confirmed for a Night Horrors, too.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xelkelvos posted:

I really wish this was the crossover splat instead of Beast. Experimental subjects pumped with ectoplasm, genetically modified with Werewolf genes, surgically grafted parts from Angels and Demons, replacing their heart with a Pyros pump, and so on. More than one might even be applied and depending on the supernatural types they're around, their abilities resonate with the originals and can supplement them with abilities outside of the splat's purview (say being a muscle for a Coterie of Vampires since the Deviant had their organs replaced with a Werewolf's and can go into a semblance of Gauru) while learning how to better use their own abilities (say watching one of the Vampires use a Discipline like Celerity and being better at using it themselves).

This'd make perfect sense, and actually give back to the other lines by showing examples of weird projects for members of the 'big' lines to embark on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kind of like the options they had in IIRC Saturnine Night of Supernatural Demiurges.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my only complaint is now I remember Kyle XY existed

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Blockhouse posted:

my only complaint is now I remember Kyle XY existed

What do you have against Kyle XY? Lot of cool people got a few years of paychecks off that show!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
boogaleeboo

were you on kyle xy

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Blockhouse posted:

boogaleeboo

were you on kyle xy

No. Maybe. ABC Family is a powerful and amoral beast that devours all in it's path, you can't judge me!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DaveB are you making sure that it's literally possible to play The Secret World of Alex Mack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G846sZBbVIw

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Small update on the Slasher Chronicle.

Matt McElroy posted:

Monica Valentinelli is the developer for Hunter 2E.

She previously worked on Hunter: Mortal Remains (writing and editing), she wrote Hunter: Doubting Souls for Dark Eras, she co-wrote Dread Names Red List for V20 with me. Outside of OPP she developed the Firefly RPG for Margaret Weis Productions, has written for Unknown Armies, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Mistborn, Alethea, and Eclipse Phase to name a few.

MMM

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Luminous Obscurity posted:

That ain't a bad pedigree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Deviant, then.

One thing you said to me, really cool meeting you by the way, was the following:

nWoD's Beast is to oWoD's Bygone Bestiary as nWoD's Deviant will be to oWoD's Freak Legion.

Basically you had my money right there and then spent in whatever future Kickstarter or Pre-order Deviant will have.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Unknown Armies? gently caress yeah.