Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

sweeperbravo posted:

That's a story I would have actually found funny if it wasn't so overwritten and tryhard.
Some of these people it's like they've either never heard "brevity is the soul of wit" or they just think they're the special snowflake exception to that aphorism.

so they uh

affect this tumblr poetry style

wherein capitalisation and punctuation are oppressive constructs of the shitlords

tho the shitlords on tumblr do it too

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I was at my friend's engagement party when everyone started clinking their glasses together in celebration. Not having a glass, I tapped back with the piece of bread I was eating. When they asked what I was doing, I replied, "What does it look like? I'm toasting!"

---

There is that really so hard? "Wheat byproduct" I swear to god...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At least we know he's going to Hell where he belongs.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

sweeperbravo posted:

Some of these people it's like they've either never heard "brevity is the soul of wit" or they just think they're the special snowflake exception to that aphorism.

If you ever track one of the Reddit ones to the original post, you're pretty much guaranteed to see comments praising what a great writer the OP is. Unironically and even jealously.

The lesson here is to not read Reddit comments. The STDH changes from unintentional humor to tragedy.

though just imagine if the NAR family of sites had comments posted:

(I go into a doctor’s surgery about a terrible cough.)

Doctor: “Right, we just need to look you over; won’t be a minute.”

(After a quick examination, I see him frowning.)

Me: “What is it?”

Doctor: “You need to get tested for HIV and hepatitis.”

Me: *as I am a virgin* “What?!”

Doctor: “Your tattoo. You may have had a dirty needle poking you. I need the address of where you got that.”

Me: “Listen, I—”

Doctor: “And since you have tattoos, it’s likely you’ve used drugs at one point, so we need to check you for HIV.”

Me: “Look—”

Doctor: “You young people think you’re never getting these diseases, but you do; I’ve seen a LOT of young people who got illnesses from needles—”

Me: “It’s a rub-on!”

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I wish my doctor thought I was that cool.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ibntumart posted:

quote:

Me: *as I am a virgin*

I believe this part.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's not stdh it's actually just how my grandma thinks

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Maybe she's the one who's been writing all these things all along.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Not just grandmas!

quote:

A New South Wales mother has won a legal battle to breastfeed her 11-month-old baby after the Family Court overturned an injunction that banned her from doing so because she got a tattoo.

The injunction was unanimously thrown out by the Family Court that found the primary judge based his decision on an internet search.

On June 5, the 20-year-old mother was banned by Judge Matthew Myers of the Federal Circuit Court from breastfeeding because she had recently been tattooed.

The concern was that she might transmit a blood-borne disease such as hepatitis or HIV to the infant.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-19/breastfeeding-ban-on-nsw-tattooed-mother-overturned/6559692

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Imagine of they'd had evidence of unprotected sex.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Isn't there a thing that it's not healthy to breastfeed if you've recently been tattooed, but has nothing to do with disease, just the effect of the ink? Or is that the stdh

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Isn't there a thing that it's not healthy to breastfeed if you've recently been tattooed, but has nothing to do with disease, just the effect of the ink? Or is that the stdh

You can't donate blood for a few months after you get a tattoo at least.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

EmmyOk posted:

You can't donate blood for a few months after you get a tattoo at least.

That's because hepatitis.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And it says the she got tested, but if she just got the tattoo isn't the disease test worthless due to hiv's ~6mo gestation period where it will give a false negative? I was thinking it might be a situation where she was a wet nurse which could make sense from a general safety standpoint, but get own kid?

That means that someone who actually knew her had to press charges, possibly the kid's father. Normally I'd say the risk of a tattoo from a reputable shop that has disposable sterile needles and autoclaves makes the disease risk basically 0, but if a close family member pressed charges to stop you from feeding your own kid I'd bet she got the tattoo from some methed-out living room scratcher

Vvv: true enough, and at least I can use that as an excuse to feel good about myself since incompetence comes to mind much easier than pure malice

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Aug 2, 2015

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

And it says the she got tested, but if she just got the tattoo isn't the disease test worthless due to hiv's ~6mo gestation period where it will give a false negative? I was thinking it might be a situation where she was a wet nurse which could make sense from a general safety standpoint, but get own kid?

That means that someone who actually knew her had to press charges, possibly the kid's father. Normally I'd say the risk of a tattoo from a reputable shop that has disposable sterile needles and autoclaves makes the disease risk basically 0, but if a close family member pressed charges to stop you from feeding your own kid I'd bet she got the tattoo from some methed-out living room scratcher

It could mean she got the tattoo from some weirdo with dirty needles. It could also mean the kid's father is a bitter ex who just plain wants to cause trouble for her any way he can. Without more context it's impossible to make a judgement.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slime posted:

It could mean she got the tattoo from some weirdo with dirty needles. It could also mean the kid's father is a bitter ex who just plain wants to cause trouble for her any way he can. Without more context it's impossible to make a judgement.

Custody battle. From the article I posted:

quote:

The baby's father then raised concerns about the mother's tattoo during the bitter parenting dispute.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, that sounds like nonsense to me. I'd be really surprised if there were significant amounts of ink floating around in the bloodstream, but at any rate, even if there were, I would think that ink particles would be too large to pass into breastmilk. (That's one reason why the majority of medications are excreted into breast milk only in very small quantities: the molecules are too large to pass from the maternal bloodstream into the milk itself.)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I want to know what it would have looked like if she figuratively did it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Let's censor "loving" and not "bitch" because

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

goose fleet posted:

Let's censor "loving" and not "bitch" because

one is widely considered a far 'worse' swear word than the other?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Including the likes/comments ticker is the internet equivalent of a laugh track

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Also who wouldn't want to be a pimp one day? :snoop:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Wow..

WOW

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

How much of a pussy do you have to be to offer money in exchange for a phone you just had stolen from you?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It sort of comes with the territory of someone that would petition for wind and solar.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Verisimilidude posted:

How much of a pussy do you have to be to offer money in exchange for a phone you just had stolen from you?

If you can't physically overpower the person and the authorities (lol) aren't helping, it seems like a reasonable way to get it back with minimal risk. If $20 is worth more to you than losing your phone for an unspecified period (possibly permanently) and a lot of paperwork at the police station, then I don't know what to say.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Also who wouldn't want to be a pimp one day? :snoop:

Fu**** nerds, apparently.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

My favorite bit is when they take the bus. I like to imagine the thief scrambling for change so the bus driver doesn't kick him off or call the Metro authorities, and then the author hoping against hope he has a token so he can get on, too, and have the chase continue.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

ibntumart posted:

My favorite bit is when they take the bus. I like to imagine the thief scrambling for change so the bus driver doesn't kick him off or call the Metro authorities, and then the author hoping against hope he has a token so he can get on, too, and have the chase continue.

Just like in my movies!!!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you're in good enough shape to chase down the guy where he has to stop and catch his breath while u stand there you should be able to get your phone back, not bribe and beg for it.

Dudes a bitch straight up.

He creates a story where he looks helpless.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I don't think this one belongs in this thread because it says right there in the text that it's an honest description of the events that occurred.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

oldpainless posted:

He creates a story where he looks helpless.

Just like Baby Boomers!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Old school STDH from Usama ibn Munqidh, 12th-century Syrian nobleman and author of the memoir Kitab al-I'tibar "Book of Contemplation," which contains eyewitness accounts of the First Crusade and of the Franks [Europeans] who settled in the Holy Land.

quote:

The Franks are void of all zeal and jealousy. ... Here is an illustration which I myself witnessed:

When I used to visit Nablus, I always took lodging with a man named Mu'izz, whose home was a lodging house for the Muslims. The house had windows which opened to the road, and there stood opposite to it on the other side of the road a house belonging to a Frank who sold wine for the merchants. He would take some wine in a bottle and go around announcing it by shouting, "So and so, the merchant, has just opened a cask full of this wine. He who wants to buy some of it will find it in such and such a place." The Frank's pay for the announcement made would be the wine in that bottle. One day this Frank went home and found a man with his wife in the same bed. He asked him, "What could have made you enter into my wife's room?" The man replied, "I was tired, so I went in to rest." "But how," asked he, "didst thou get into my bed?" The other replied, "I found a bed that was spread, so I slept in it." "But," said he, "my wife was sleeping together with you!" The other replied, "Well, the bed is hers. How could I therefore have prevented her from using her own bed?"

"By the truth of my religion," said the husband, "if thou shouldst do it again, thou and I would have a quarrel." Such was for the Frank the entire expression of his disapproval and the limit of his jealousy.

Those wacky Franks! :allears:

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Aug 3, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Old school STDH from Usama ibn Munqidh, 12th-century Syrian nobleman and author of the memoir Kitab al-I'tibar "Book of Contemplation," which contains eyewitness accounts of the First Crusade and of the Franks [Europeans] who settled in the Holy Land.

Those wacky Franks! :allears:

This is great. Thank you.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
So was the man at the end the same guy or not? They can't just leave us hanging like that.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

hyperhazard posted:

So was the man at the end the same guy or not? They can't just leave us hanging like that.

No, because the author wants us to know that They Aren't All Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

some douche posted:

This really brings back some old, tough memories. Back when I was 22 or 23, I forget which, it was so long ago, I was supposed to get married to this girl. We were high school sweethearts and we maintained a long distance relationship for the 4 years I was away at college and she worked in her parents' shop in our hometown.

So I was working in the city and we had been planning our wedding. We'd have a small ceremony at our church, then we'd use up my two weeks vacation for an all-inclusive non-refundable trip to Cancun. We'd take the limo to our hotel and just have the best honeymoon anyone's ever had.

But when I showed up at the church she wasn't there. Her best friend told me the bad news. My fiancee had been seeing some other guy for a while and couldn't get up the courage to break it off with me. I was none the wiser the entire time. It crushed me. It wasn't like I could suddenly drop all my feelings for her, but I just couldn't believe what was happening.

The tickets were, as I mentioned earlier, non-refundable, so I just got on the plane by myself. I taped her picture to the next seat. That got some stares. I bought a box of little bottles of liquor at the gift shop and lined them up on the tables in front of my seats and just started drinking.

After a while I was feeling a little bit better. I started buying drinks for the people next to me, then for everyone on the plane. Eventually, we were having a party. A bunch of Americans drunk, flying down to Cancun, dancing and drinking and carrying on. I told the stewardess what happened and she gave me some "sympathy" in the galley. It was probably the only time I've ever really been drunk on a plane.

• Locked thread