Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Gatts posted:

Yeah but an axe implies some serious violence. It'd be different for Strange for sure. Since he's a former surgeon I'd have considered something more...I dunno...classy like using his magic in battle then performing surgery on those that violate interdimensional law to lobotomize them so they can't break laws and do black arts or poo poo. A sort of Negotiator - Arbitrator - Contracts guy who keeps order between the realms, protects the 616, calls on the power of the hosts of his power and spells, and exercises a less brawling method of violence than an axe.

Eh.
yeah same
that strange mini (the oath?) where he runs into mooks and just shits on them magically is always what i expected from strange
just like, "oh that's cool you're a master necrolord poisonmaster?? well guess what you cant cast spells anymore also you cant speak also you're trapped in your own mindscape now twisted to be your own hell"

there's at least two issues in that mini where he just obliterates dudes and the lady he's working with is like "that's pretty harsh what about the law" and he p much goes "i'm magic as gently caress don't question me"
does anyone know what i'm talkin' about because that was my favorite version of strange. hyper competent and just a huge fuckhead wizard that you wouldn't call on for everything because he'd probably just start summoning all kinds of satans and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Strange's whole thing is being unable to perform surgery though.

He can't perform it to save lives or have precision but that's kinda the point. It's very rough.

Or just keep him an arrogant dickhead doctor who wasn't humbled and sought out the mystic arts anyway. That's like more modern entertaining heroes people wanna read. Like dickhead Tony or Superior Spidey or who gives a gently caress Matt Murdock.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gatts posted:

He can't perform it to save lives or have precision but that's kinda the point. It's very rough.

Or just keep him an arrogant dickhead doctor who wasn't humbled and sought out the mystic arts anyway. That's like more modern entertaining heroes people wanna read. Like dickhead Tony or Superior Spidey or who gives a gently caress Matt Murdock.

I always liked the allegory of magic replacing medicine for Strange. If I was going to write the movie the climactic battle scene would be Dormammu attempting to crawl out of a volcano in the middle of Manhattan, Dr. Strange having a revelation that Earth is the patient, going into astral form, flying into the sky, summoning a giant ethereal scalpel, cutting Dormammu out of the earth, tossing him into the sun and then sewing the earth back together.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
What I liked about Ultimate Strange (from the two issues in which he was featured prominently) was that he had inherited this world (like Tim Hunter aka Harry Potter) and wasn't completely adept. If you have a guy who can magic his way out of anything it's difficult to tell a compelling story (I call this The Superman Paradox) but someone who's out of their league is a far more compelling character, story-wise. It always seemed to me that Doctor Strange passed his peak and has been phoning it in for decades, so to speak. There's only so much you can do with a character before they have very little else to do

That's why I'm really excited about this reboot - The New 52 was really cool, and these Secret Wars books are awesome. I finally like Marvel Comics again. I just hope they don't gently caress it up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This whole "difficulty" with telling good Dr Strange stories is a very recent thing, which has led bad writers to constantly depower him and make him act like an rear end in a top hat. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

This whole "difficulty" with telling good Dr Strange stories is a very recent thing, which has led bad writers to constantly depower him and make him act like an rear end in a top hat. It's a pet peeve of mine.

It's not just him. It's Superman, Flash, etc. etc. Or the Spidey marriage. Always excuses for poor writers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
People oversell Strange's power levels to begin with, yes he's beaten capital G Gods but it wasn't easy for him. He had to dip into an arsenal of mystical artifacts and borrow power from other Gods to do it.

Bendis putting him on the street level Avengers team was a giant mistake that made the problem seem even worse. "How do we write Dr. Strange fighting ninjas?" Is the same answer as it is for Thor, you don't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gatts posted:

It's not just him. It's Superman, Flash, etc. etc. Or the Spidey marriage. Always excuses for poor writers.

I think with Superman you have a bit more of an excuse, because despite being incredibly powerful, he's also established as someone who stops bank robberies and such. That's never been Dr Strange's deal. He solves very specialized mystical problems and deals with extra-dimensional threats. He doesn't give a poo poo about muggings.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i basically want strange to be stardust the superwizard

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Fereydun posted:

yeah same
that strange mini (the oath?) where he runs into mooks and just shits on them magically is always what i expected from strange
just like, "oh that's cool you're a master necrolord poisonmaster?? well guess what you cant cast spells anymore also you cant speak also you're trapped in your own mindscape now twisted to be your own hell"

there's at least two issues in that mini where he just obliterates dudes and the lady he's working with is like "that's pretty harsh what about the law" and he p much goes "i'm magic as gently caress don't question me"
does anyone know what i'm talkin' about because that was my favorite version of strange. hyper competent and just a huge fuckhead wizard that you wouldn't call on for everything because he'd probably just start summoning all kinds of satans and poo poo

I'm pretty sure it's The Oath, and he sends some guy to hell for just loving with him.

I'd like to see Johnathan Hickman take a legit run at him cause I really enjoy how he's potrayed in the New Avengers and Secret Wars.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 1, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

I always liked the allegory of magic replacing medicine for Strange. If I was going to write the movie the climactic battle scene would be Dormammu attempting to crawl out of a volcano in the middle of Manhattan, Dr. Strange having a revelation that Earth is the patient, going into astral form, flying into the sky, summoning a giant ethereal scalpel, cutting Dormammu out of the earth, tossing him into the sun and then sewing the earth back together.

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strange also had that whole thing where he started using black magic and sold his soul for more power but it was basically like "so... what?" It was just an extension of what the Illuminati were resorting to to stop incursions, but it wasn't explored outside of other mystics telling him he was gross now and to go away forever. There was no real exploration of what it even selling his soul meant to a character who has personally punked Mephisto from dimension to dimension. It was treated like a shield-breaker moment, but it should be a nomad moment where the character perspective itself shifts beyond just "oh I guess sometimes I go overboard with the evil tentacles".

The foundations of a good Strange story, I think, need to be in the invisible rules that keep the world from plunging into a bottomless abyss of extra-dimensional poo poo nobody else can even comprehend. Less him summoning some red hula hoops to stop Thanos, and more about the archaic laws built up over hundreds of thousands of years of mystics bargaining with demons and gods, with Strange as the inheritor of all that built up poo poo trying to shovel as much of it as he can without adding too much more to the pile while he deals with the leakage from every other dimension into this one.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think Dr. Strange works best as a magic-based Cyclops that just shoots lasers at everything until it goes away.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Phenotype posted:

I think Dr. Strange works best as a magic-based Cyclops that just shoots lasers at everything until it goes away.

I think he works best as a Miss Cleo analogue.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Defiance Industries posted:

I think he works best as a Miss Cleo analogue.

Big fan of Brother Voodoo then I guess?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

PaybackJack posted:

Big fan of Brother Voodoo then I guess?

That's Doctor Brother Voodoo.

Who still exists, for some reason.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirDan3k posted:

That's Doctor Brother Voodoo.

Who still exists, for some reason.

No see Rick Remender is the guy who can finally do him RIGHT

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I wrote an unsubmitted proposal for Ultimate Brother Voodoo some years ago. This was when I was trying to break into comics, but had a difficult time finding pencilers who would finish stories. So I just have a bunch of pretty good half-finished comics. Anyway, it went something like this:

Acclaimed New York neurosurgeon Jericho Drumm is in Miami for a medical conference. Entering his hotel room Jericho finds a black envelope containing two backstage passes to a rap concert. The artist is Drumm Squad - a famous rap group from the 1990's analogous to Wu-Tang Clan. The only difference is that they have appropriated Haitian voodoo culture in the same way that Wu-Tang did Chinese Kung-Fu. After his speech at the conference that afternoon, an old colleague approaches him and they agree to meet for dinner. At dinner we get some background info - the leader of Drumm Squad is DRZA or Daniel Drumm, Jericho's twin brother. They later attend the concert, which is rich with voodoo-laden props and symbology. Afterwards they go back stage and hang out with the Drumm Squad. Daniel and Jericho have a brief argument, but make up, and Daniel takes them out on the town with his crew.

Later that night as they pull up to a stoplight, a masked gunman leans out the window of a passing car and shoots DRZA in the head.

End of issue 1.

The primary conflict in the story would be a sort of "Odd Couple" scenario where Jericho is haunted by Daniel's ghost and they have completely different personalities. Daniel is steeped in black voodoo and urban street culture, while Jericho has proudly elevated himself in the white man's world. Jericho is refined, ivy league educated, top of his class. Daniel dropped out of high school and started selling mixtapes in parking lots at 17. Both of them grew up as poor Haitian refugees, but found success in wildly different ways.

Jericho represents modern science. Daniel represents ancient magic and street knowledge. Together they must fight the forces of evil.

Anyway, that was my idea of how to make Brother Voodoo cool. I had a couple of plot points, the first story arc would be about finding his killer, kind of a Who Killed 2Pac/Biggie? story.

bad day fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 2, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bad day posted:

I wrote an unsubmitted proposal for Ultimate Brother Voodoo some years ago. This was when I was trying to break into comics, but had a difficult time finding pencilers who would finish stories. So I just have a bunch of pretty good half-finished comics. Anyway, it went something like this:

Acclaimed New York neurosurgeon Jericho Drumm is in Miami for a medical conference. Entering his hotel room Jericho finds a black envelope containing two backstage passes to a rap concert. The artist is Drumm Squad - a famous rap group from the 1990's analogous to Wu-Tang Clan. The only difference is that they have appropriated Haitian voodoo culture in the same way that Wu-Tang did Chinese Kung-Fu. After his speech at the conference that afternoon, an old colleague approaches him and they agree to meet for dinner. At dinner we get some background info - the leader of Drumm Squad is DRZA or Daniel Drumm, Jericho's twin brother. They later attend the concert, which is rich with voodoo-laden props and symbology. Afterwards they go back stage and hang out with the Drumm Squad. Daniel and Jericho have a brief argument, but make up, and Daniel takes them out on the town with his crew.

Later that night as they pull up to a stoplight, a masked gunman leans out the window of a passing car and shoots DRZA in the head.

End of issue 1.

The primary conflict in the story would be a sort of "Odd Couple" scenario where Jericho is haunted by Daniel's ghost and they have completely different personalities. Daniel is steeped in black voodoo and urban street culture, while Jericho has proudly elevated himself in the white man's world. Jericho is refined, ivy league educated, top of his class. Daniel dropped out of high school and started selling mixtapes in parking lots at 17. Both of them grew up as poor Haitian refugees, but found success in wildly different ways.

Jericho represents modern science. Daniel represents ancient magic and street knowledge. Together they must fight the forces of evil.

Anyway, that was my idea of how to make Brother Voodoo cool. I had a couple of plot points, the first story arc would be about finding his killer, kind of a Who Killed 2Pac/Biggie? story.

I really enjoy the idea of having the Sorcerer Supreme be paired with a side cast of people who are all straight laced and completely not versed in magic and have him go around doing more "practical" applications of his magic. The idea of Dr. Strange as one half of a buddy cop duo has been in my head ever since the Original Sin team up and would be a lot of fun if you didn't mind dipping into the Dr. Orpheus vein of the character for comedy.

The idea of making Brother Voodoo an uncle Tom who must reimmerse himself into black culture, while figuring out what parts of Hatiian voodoo the rap group actually messed around with that were real. is a pretty unique setup but boy does that sound hard to write well.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

PaybackJack posted:

The idea of making Brother Voodoo an uncle Tom who must reimmerse himself into black culture, while figuring out what parts of Hatiian voodoo the rap group actually messed around with that were real. is a pretty unique setup but boy does that sound hard to write well.

Well the idea would be that DRZA was a sort of ghetto superhero, and recorded his adventures in verse - like how Wu-Tang talks about themselves (and gives themselves superhero names/identities). But all of the things DRZA was talking about in his music is completely real.

Also Jericho wouldn't view himself as an Uncle Tom - DRZA would view him that way. Jericho views himself as someone who sweat blood for everything he has achieved, and sees Daniel as someone who's sold out his heritage to make an easy buck. He thinks Daniel is full of poo poo, and the realization that he's not is what brings about a drastic personality change in Jericho.

I like the idea of a non initiate being cast into the secret world of magic and horror, because there's just so many different directions it can be taken in.

Anyway, yeah - hard to write but potentially very cool. My model for DRZA was basically cribbed from the Jim Crow character in The Invisibles. Also he was shot with magic bullets, the culprits being a ancient serpent cult of record executives whose leader is loosely based on the Damballah character.

I never thought much further than this, though.

bad day fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 2, 2015

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

I really enjoy the idea of having the Sorcerer Supreme be paired with a side cast of people who are all straight laced and completely not versed in magic and have him go around doing more "practical" applications of his magic. The idea of Dr. Strange as one half of a buddy cop duo has been in my head ever since the Original Sin team up and would be a lot of fun if you didn't mind dipping into the Dr. Orpheus vein of the character for comedy.

If Strange is going to buddy up with anyone it might as well be Dr. Nemesis. A man of pure out there science and snazzy fedora. :colbert:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jiro posted:

If Strange is going to buddy up with anyone it might as well be Dr. Nemesis. A man of pure out there science and snazzy fedora. :colbert:

That would be amazing. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to read that.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Jiro posted:

I never knew I needed this until you said it.

What's the last thing Dr. Nemesis was in, Spurrier's X-Force? I hope he lands somewhere good post-SW.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I never knew I needed this until you said it.

What's the last thing Dr. Nemesis was in, Spurrier's X-Force? I hope he lands somewhere good post-SW.

I'll PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU! I think it was the X-Force before Spurrier?? Yeah it was during Hopeless' run. I remember him and Forge having a junkyard science off of giant mutated Scorpion vs Junkyard Mech suit. But I can't find that glorious scene.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I approve of any character that allows writers to tap into their inner Warren Ellis.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

I'll PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU! I think it was the X-Force before Spurrier?? Yeah it was during Hopeless' run. I remember him and Forge having a junkyard science off of giant mutated Scorpion vs Junkyard Mech suit. But I can't find that glorious scene.

No, he was in Spurrier's X-Force, he was just kind of a background character. He did take a much more active role in Hopeless' run though, you're right.

And I know the scene you're talking about

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I think Siege might be my favourite thing Kieron Gillen has written for Marvel. It just has so many things I like to see in comics like Magik, Captain Britain references and puns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

I think Siege might be my favourite thing Kieron Gillen has written for Marvel. It just has so many things I like to see in comics like Magik, Captain Britain references and puns.

And Saga references!

Also what continuity is Kitty Pryde as a pride of...kitties from?

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 5, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I have a feeling this issue of Siege was supposed to come out after the next issue of Secret Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if the "reveal" that the wall surrounding Battleworld is actually Ben Grimm is in the next issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That was revealed already, though.

EDIT:

Siege #1

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 5, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think he means revealed in the main title.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I think he means revealed in the main title.
Yeah, I get that. I'm saying that it was revealed several weeks ago, so if that's supposed to be a big main title reveal that's shrouded in secrecy, they've done a piss-poor job of it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

That was revealed already, though.

EDIT:

Siege #1

Oh yeah I missed that panel where he came out of the wall, I thought he just walked there or something. I mean it has been super obvious the whole time that's what the wall is, but I thought this was the first time it showed him actually being the wall. Yeah I just didn't look at the last issue closely enough.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Siege #2 is so goddamned good. I want this to be an on-going series. It's like all the best parts of Exiles with a good measure of fatalistic, no-win war scenarios, and the art is loving great too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Kitty Pride :v:

love it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Siege, Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet were all pretty phenomenal this week, and in totally different ways. God I love this event. (Yu doing seriously good work on Civil War though, loving the design of pretty much everything, especially the Cap shield city).

Mojave
Jun 1, 2006
Leave, and never darken my towels again
Siege was great, civil war was great those two are given. But I was surprised by how much I liked Red Skull, Spider Island, And Guardians Of Nowhere . All three had some really interesting moments like: Tony Stark as the Iron Goblin, Magneto making some sweet armor out of Ultron parts, and Nova Corps Venom.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinity Gauntlet continues to surprise me with how good it is. I'm loving this version of Thanos.

No idea who that dude at the end was, though.

Also, Ultimate End #4 continues to be mediocre BUT we now have the 2nd sighting of the raft survivors. Miles is back.

I haven't read Siege or the others, did any of the raft survivors popped up this week in the other books?

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Infinity Gauntlet continues to surprise me with how good it is. I'm loving this version of Thanos.

Also, Ultimate End #4 continues to be mediocre BUT we now have the 2nd sighting of the raft survivors. Miles is back.

I haven't read Siege or the others, did any of the raft survivors popped up this week in the other books?

Looks like Captain Marvel, but with aspects taken from Mar-Vell, his kids, Carol, and Kamala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Isnt that Adam Warlock?

• Locked thread