Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I just checked on The History of Rome on iTunes and listing it through the date released, it immediatly jumps from 001- In The Beginning to 011 - The Morning After. Is this correct?
The start looks normal in the podcast app on the iPhone.

The only thing to look out for is 58 which is listed between 59 and 60 for some odd reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alright, I'm all caught up with Revolutions, HH, Revolutions, and the Bonapartes. Not really interested in Byzantium or pirates, are there any other big ones? Preferably something humorous like the Bonapartes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rodyle posted:

Alright, I'm all caught up with Revolutions, HH, Revolutions, and the Bonapartes. Not really interested in Byzantium or pirates, are there any other big ones? Preferably something humorous like the Bonapartes.

I take it your duplication of Revolutions means you've actually done History of Rome AND Revolutions? Because if not, History of Rome is the obvious next step.

As far as "big" ones, there isn't too much else..history podcasting isn't exactly a huge field with many superstars, or anything. There are a few professionally produced ones, especially by the BBC, like "In Our Time" or BBC History Magazine's "History Extra".

For humor, someone here(?) aimed me at "The Rex Factor", where a couple of Brits go through the various English monarchs from Alfred the Great on and then rate them for things like Battleworthieness, Lineage, and "The Rex Factor". It's a fairly deep dive into English history, and if it's not your bag it won't do much for you, but it is there for the relative lightheartedness of the affair.

And of course there are some alternate history shows, like "Ancient Rome Refocused" and "The Twilight Histories" that come at history from odd angles.

Some of those might work for you.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh yeah I did HoR. I'll check out Rex Factor. The alt history stuff is a little odd to me, is it literally just alt history radio dramas? That's what TH sounded like when that guy showed up on the Bonapartes.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Rodyle posted:

What about The Dollop? It's not as serious or rigorous as any of the podcasts you listed but it's funnier than all of them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ChetReckless posted:

What about The Dollop? It's not as serious or rigorous as any of the podcasts you listed but it's funnier than all of them.

I dropped it during the recent kerfuffle :v: Bonapartes fills the void.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Rodyle posted:

I dropped it during the recent kerfuffle :v: Bonapartes fills the void.

Dave finally addressed all that in a podcast and everything seems cool now, in general and with Alan Bellows. To each their own, though.

My major problem so far with Bonapartes is that they seem way too pleased with themselves. When you introduce a podcast with a 10 minute story about one of the hosts saying something weird/dumb to his wife (including bringing his wife on the podcast to tell the 'hilarious' story) it loses me a little. I enjoyed the first couple of podcasts but I couldn't make it through the third. I'm going to try a few more in the hopes it settles down some. They just spend way too much time laughing at their own jokes. Do they get better about it?

(I recognize that I bring up the Dollop in the same post I criticize the LB for laughing at their own jokes too much, but at least Dave and Gareth are usually laughing at each other's jokes.)

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ChetReckless posted:

Dave finally addressed all that in a podcast and everything seems cool now, in general and with Alan Bellows. To each their own, though.

My major problem so far with Bonapartes is that they seem way too pleased with themselves. When you introduce a podcast with a 10 minute story about one of the hosts saying something weird/dumb to his wife (including bringing his wife on the podcast to tell the 'hilarious' story) it loses me a little. I enjoyed the first couple of podcasts but I couldn't make it through the third. I'm going to try a few more in the hopes it settles down some. They just spend way too much time laughing at their own jokes. Do they get better about it?

(I recognize that I bring up the Dollop in the same post I criticize the LB for laughing at their own jokes too much, but at least Dave and Gareth are usually laughing at each other's jokes.)

I just can't get over how bad the co-host is. Maybe replace him with the guy that does the british history podcast, as he's super-prepared and probably shares a similar humour.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

A big one is "My History Can Beat up Your Politics"

https://myhistorycanbeatupyourpolitics.wordpress.com/

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Oh yeah I did HoR. I'll check out Rex Factor. The alt history stuff is a little odd to me, is it literally just alt history radio dramas? That's what TH sounded like when that guy showed up on the Bonapartes.

The Twilight Histories is mostly alt history radio dramas, albeit done 2nd person, so it's "you" doing the actions. They do flip over to occasional straight historical pieces, though, like one about a guy who was on the last flight out of Stalingrad, that kind of thing.

Ancient Rome Refocused does some alt history, but mostly does dramatizations of historical scenarios..and well done ones, too...followed by a discussion of the actual history, sometimes with an interview of an expert, sometimes not. It's a good show, but it hasn't updated in ages. Still, you can make your way through the archives.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

MooselanderII posted:

A big one is "My History Can Beat up Your Politics"

https://myhistorycanbeatupyourpolitics.wordpress.com/

I'm a fan and have been a listener for years. But I still cringe when Bruce tries to do voice impressions of various presidents and prime ministers. But very well researched, interesting, and fun to hear of the dirty tricks of yesteryear and how little has really changed

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wonder if Mike Duncan will ever get around to actually learning those accounting and business fundamentals. He's been procrastinating about that for something like a year now.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Antti posted:

I wonder if Mike Duncan will ever get around to actually learning those accounting and business fundamentals. He's been procrastinating about that for something like a year now.

And he keeps getting a new mattress every other week too, it's the damnedest thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I was checking out the History of China podcast and it seems as though half a dozen or so episodes are missing from the main site, itunes, and the rss feed. Where are they? Were those numbers just never occupies or did something happen to get them taken down?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was checking out the History of China podcast and it seems as though half a dozen or so episodes are missing from the main site, itunes, and the rss feed. Where are they? Were those numbers just never occupies or did something happen to get them taken down?
I think he might have taken down a few early episodes because he was no longer satisfied with them. I think he explicitly mentioned doing this exactly once.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ChetReckless posted:

Dave finally addressed all that in a podcast and everything seems cool now, in general and with Alan Bellows.

Thank you for this post because I couldn't stand The Dollop's hosts, but thought the information was (drat) interesting, so I'm grateful for introducing me to drat Interesting, where I can read interesting historical trivia at my leisure without having to endure two unfunny comedians.

I'm glad that You Must Remember This is getting traction in this thread, since I've always found that period of Hollywood history really fascinating, especially in how we idolize a lot of its stars (Marilyn Monroe stands out here) without actually knowing that much about them.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

And of course there are some alternate history shows, like "Ancient Rome Refocused" and "The Twilight Histories" that come at history from odd angles.

I've listened to a few episodes of The Twilight Histories now and I'm hooked! I started off with the Hannibal 1 episode, moved on to City of Pyramids and just finished Cleopatra Ceasar. I'm definitely down for spending 5bux and downloading the entire archive- are any of the episodes especially worth listening to?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
A lot of these podcasts are really dry in their delivery, but You Must Remember This is really fantastic. Her delivery is top notch and the production value is superb.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

hiddenmovement posted:

A lot of these podcasts are really dry in their delivery, but You Must Remember This is really fantastic. Her delivery is top notch and the production value is superb.

I like You Must Remember This a lot but I found her "Star Wars" series to be a bit dull. A few episodes are good listens if you have an interest in those stars but some others were just a bit of a slog.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Brian Dunning from Skeptoid must be free, right? There've been a couple eps from him lately, not just listener feedback. Prerecorded, maybe? I'd be annoyed if Skeptoid permanently kept the lame-voiced other-host people from episode to episode, I don't even bother listening to non-Dunning episodes. Not even is it not the same without smugvoice but I swear it feels like he sometimes picks the worst guest voices possible on purpose, half of them are (I'm pretty sure) ghosts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He made a bunch before getting locked up. He has another year on his sentence as far as I know.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The recent My History Can Beat Up Your Politics I thought was excellent as it gave a bunch of context to Neville Chamberlain. My usual retort to people comparing Obama or whoever to Chamberlain is to ask them what Chamberlain actually did on Sep 2 1939, but apparently he was also an advocate of balanced-budget economics, headed up the UK's pre-war rearmament, and was a fierce anti-communist.

One wonders what might have happened had he managed to retain the premiership past the Norway debacle.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

He made a bunch before getting locked up. He has another year on his sentence as far as I know.
ohhhhh noooooooooo. someone needs to spring smugvoice out of jail ASAP, the Lesser Napoleons didn't really mesh for me (they're more informed than the Dollop, sure, but I don't think enough for them to make up their 'far less funny' gap, and when I want more informed I just go with dudes like Mike Duncan anyway) and I'm all caught up with Revolutions/You Must Remember This/Hardcore History/Whistlestop (which is really good and awesome as people mention). Guess I'll pore into more old History of Rome eps, just wish they had better audio quality. :(
Might try Tank Riot...I miss Skeptoid already.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't know how Skeptoid is so popular anyway. I haven't revisited it in forever but I always felt it was too short to get anywhere interesting. Sometimes it feels like it's just:

"Some people think aliens is totally real, but actually they aren't. :viggo:" The End

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't know how Skeptoid is so popular anyway. I haven't revisited it in forever but I always felt it was too short to get anywhere interesting. Sometimes it feels like it's just:

"Some people think aliens is totally real, but actually they aren't. :viggo:" The End
Yeah, I always felt they were too short as well, but it was fun just running through the old eps. Usually they're more interesting than that UFO stuff, I'm not sure how I came to enjoy Skeptoid but at some point Brian Dunning and his smugvoice become part of the appreciation. Different strokes, I guess. Why did I get into Skeptoid?

Looking back I think I was just high, so I guess that explains it. I think part of enjoying Skeptoid is also laughing at Brian Dunning sometimes. His "YOU WOULD GIVE KANYE WEST A DOLLAR, BUT NOT ME????!?!" donation pleas at the end of the eps are still golden hilarity for me especially in view of what ended up happening.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

trying Skeptoid for the first time ever, high. based on this thread's recommendations
listened to the UFO listener feedback episode :lol: I love how all the messages are read in the same dumb filtered voice
and the (still imprisoned??) host has a great podcast voice :smugdog:

TheFallenEvincar posted:

his voice is kind of like a "SERIOUS GUY" voice I might have done in high school, but somehow prolonged for the entirety of a podcast episode. I love it

(also a little Muppet and/or Sesame Street?)

(he sounds demonic in the Pope Joan episode and it's freaking me out)

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Maybe he should record episodes from the prison phone like Adnan Syed

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah well those Adnan bits were some of the most interesting parts of Serial and Shyne did record his one good album in prison sooooooo...think about it Brian. Luckily another lil prerecorded Skeptoid with him just dropped.

The voice Karina Longworth in You Must Remember This does for Susan Atkins keeps making me laugh but it's also tormenting me because it reminds me of a character in something comedic that's just on the tip of my tongue.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

In the latest Common Sense, Dan says he's not going to adhere to schedules or timelines anymore with either of his shows.

He says context switching between them is causing big delays, so maybe this new focus will get us more Dan faster.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Slightly off-topic, but if anyone is a fan of In Our Time then they'll enjoy this very good documentary that the BBC just did on Melyvn Bragg. iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b063f1qd/melvyn-bragg-wigton-to-westminster, Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWMaNQqNXM0.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Big fan of HH and I'm definitely going to buy the back log when I have a bit of money (summer vacation has drained my wallet). In the meantime I'm going to look into Revolutions and maybe the Chinese history ones. Oh and the language ones someone mentioned ages ago in this thread.

I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a good music history podcast. I recently began to listen to hip-hop and I'm enjoying the stuff I'm hearing but it's limited to my very scant knowledge of influential stuff like The Fugee's, Public Enemy, Kanye etc. Stuff that has universal acclaim. I'd love to get into the more niche stuff and I feel a good podcast on the subject would be really enlightening.

Honestly a I'd take the same thing for really any musical genre from the 20th century be it jazz, rock, punk, whatever. I think the idea of listening to experts talking about a genre/album and listening to the piece with that in mind would be pretty great.

Also, what are good podcast apps now that I've decided to graduate to the 21st century in phone technology.

Edit: As an afterthought I'm also really interested in animals and general zoology. Podcasts on those subjects would be welcomed to.

Thanks in advance!

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 17, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The new Rape of Nanking episode of Skeptoid was pretty cool (Minnie Vautrin :cry:) although I'm not sure why it exists? I mean, what was he debunking or being skeptical about? It just felt like a random history podcast's episode . There weren't any conspiracy theories or misinformation to debunk, unless you're touching on Japanese holocaust denial people but they weren't the main focus of the episode...I think a lot of people now know that John Rabe and all that stuff existed, and outside of the aforementioned Japanese ultranationalists I don't think there's much debate over the details or stuff to be debunked. Like are there people in the West who go, "NO WAY THAT JOHN RABE STUFF HAPPENED, HE WAS NAZI SCUM"
Nice informative episode though.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The voice Karina Longworth in You Must Remember This does for Susan Atkins keeps making me laugh but it's also tormenting me because it reminds me of a character in something comedic that's just on the tip of my tongue.

Maybe "air headed" characters that Victoria Jackson used to play on SNL in the nineties?

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

The current BBC Radio 4's Documentary of the Week is on Philip Glass' day job as a taxi driver in 70s NYC. Great stuff. I bet Ira Glass is steamed BBC scooped his own cousin's American life for a story.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Haha, Mike had to come up with new lines for his sponsors last episode :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Heteroy posted:

Maybe "air headed" characters that Victoria Jackson used to play on SNL in the nineties?

Ive got a huge crush on Lucy Moran from Twin Peaks.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I think Longworth is a great presenter and she does an excellent podcast but some of the voicework is diabolically bad.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012
History boys: What's your opinion on The History of Byzantium podcast- good/poo poo? Only listened to 1 ep so far, it sounded like a really corny flamboyant dad telling a scary bedtime story to a kid- seriously hokey and affected, I didn't enjoy the style at all. I liked 12 Byzantine Rulers & the History of Rome so was really hoping this would be good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The Real Quaid posted:

History boys: What's your opinion on The History of Byzantium podcast- good/poo poo? Only listened to 1 ep so far, it sounded like a really corny flamboyant dad telling a scary bedtime story to a kid- seriously hokey and affected, I didn't enjoy the style at all. I liked 12 Byzantine Rulers & the History of Rome so was really hoping this would be good.

I'm fond of it. In fact I was listening to the most recent episode when I saw this post. :shrug:

Was the episode you listened to the first one? Because if it was, know that Pierson was imitating History of Rome too much back then, and he eventually developed his own style and format. Try something more recent and see if you like it better.

If you did try one more recent and still don't like it? Well, not ever 'cast is for everyone, I guess.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

jng2058 posted:

I'm fond of it. In fact I was listening to the most recent episode when I saw this post. :shrug:

Was the episode you listened to the first one? Because if it was, know that Pierson was imitating History of Rome too much back then, and he eventually developed his own style and format. Try something more recent and see if you like it better.

If you did try one more recent and still don't like it? Well, not ever 'cast is for everyone, I guess.

Cool- I'll give the latest episode a listen, cheers. It was one from in the middle of the download list I listened to before... I avoided the very early ones because I'd heard before it took a while for the HoB presenter to find his voice. Hah, it is silly to sound harsh or ungrateful on the internet about a podcast that is given out for free, not every podcast is for everyone as you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Even Dan Carlin took a while to really hit his stride. He really does sound like a raving mad conspiracy theory talkshow host in his earlier episodes, and he doesn't entirely sober up for a surprisingly long time.