Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

DJExile posted:

Direct sunlight is fine, it'd be another thing if you had it sitting on your dashboard in a car sitting outside in blazing heat.

Mine was a joke and now I feel bad for taking advantage of your willingness to help others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
To be honest, I'm a little less cavalier these days about photo equipment.

My Rebel XT shutter button broke so that the two-stage click became one mushy push. Got that warranty repaired, but then it did it again a year later out of warranty.

Broke my 50mm 1.8 when I dropped it down a playground slide on accident.

A D300 I was using started throwing errors every time you'd take a photo. I think it was from me changing lenses during a snow storm.

My 1D Mark III (bought used) had a strange battery issue where it'd drain batteries when it was powered off. Cost about $250 to fix.

My 70-200 f4 developed an issue where if you turned the manual focus ring, it wouldn't do anything but spin freely unless you squeezed it pretty tight while turning. That was a little less expensive to fix.

I also managed to scratch that 70-200's front element, sometime in year 7 of owning it. If I had to guess, I think it was from being front element up in my bag without a cap and with the hood reversed, and then my camera body's metal hotshoe rubbing against it in the bag. Didn't affect the image quality in any way at all, but it did affect the resale value.

Was using my brother's 24-70 on my 1D Mark III when I knocked it off of a table onto tile floor. The mount on the 24-70 broke, but the camera body was fine. I paid to fix the 24-70.

I left my 5d3 and tamron 17-35 out overnight shooting a meteor shower, and in the middle of the night it POURED down rain. I woke up to a pool of water on the front element of my lens and my camera absolutely soaked. It was still functioning, but the controls were all screwed up. Some worked correctly, some didn't work at all, and some did bizarre things. I put it in the oven at 125 degrees for a bit, then into a big bowl of rice for two days, and it has been completely fine ever since. The lens survived as well with no ill effects despite not even being advertised as weather sealed. There is no gasket either.

I'll still maintain that it's really tough to actually damage your camera, that front elements are crazy strong and scratch resistant, and that usually people worry too much.

That being said, I'll throw a rain cover over my 5D3 if it's raining decently hard. I make sure to keep hoods on and extended. I'll put lens caps on if I'm going to be putting the bag in my car, and I set things down a little easier. I'm a little more cautious about some things.

But I still use my gear - Spartan Races get muddy, and I'll stick my wide angle right in there. You get a lot of mud on the camera and lens, but it all wipes off. I've put 190k on my 5d3's shutter and it keeps trucking along. The 1d3 was closing in on 300k when I sold it. During weddings, I never have lens caps on. Dust is an unavoidable part of life and it doesn't hurt anything anyway. I'm much more concerned about being able to switch lenses quickly.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

hashtagweathersealingisbullshit hashtagwarrantydoesn'tcoverwaterdamage

Don't trust any company that tells you their camera is water resistant, but won't pay for water damage

The 6D isn't advertised as weather sealed, but it seems most xxD on up cameras are weather sealed to an extent. I wouldn't chance my camera in something like a Florida thunderstorm but it seems to do fine in the light Seattle type rain for short periods of time.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Haggins posted:

The 6D isn't advertised as weather sealed, but it seems most xxD on up cameras are weather sealed to an extent. I wouldn't chance my camera in something like a Florida thunderstorm but it seems to do fine in the light Seattle type rain for short periods of time.

Sure they do, they just the same "oh canon you rascal" nebulous rating system of "it's just as well sealed as this 21 year old film SLR we made"

From CPN:
"The EOS 6D’s body construction is a combination of durable materials – a polycarbonate base plate to which the part-magnesium alloy body shell is attached. The camera also features a robust dust-proof and drip-proof construction, where body panels interlock rather than adjoin, and all seams, buttons and dials are provided with secure rubber sealing. The protection provided by the design and sealing is equivalent to that of the EOS-1N film camera; the weather-sealing standard by which other professional cameras were judged."

Edit: This is the exact same text they use to describe the 5d3 by the by

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Do Sony sensors do better with retrofocus lenses or deep-glass lenses?

I'm pondering the idea of putting the Nikonos 15mm lens on a NEX or A7ii. There's two versions, the early version extends into the camera body and the later version is more retrofocal and doesn't extend into the body. According to the people who build the housings either will clear the shutter.

I know some of the Sony APS-C sensors had real trouble in the corners particularly on lenses that aren't telecentric. Does that problem exist on their full frame sensors as well?

And which version is likely to perform better? I'm thinking it probably doesn't matter whether the nodal point is physically inside the lens or not, but I'm not really sure. I don't think the new version will be any worse at least.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 30, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
There was a lot of talk about poor corner performance with the A7/r when they first launched, specifically surrounding using Leica lenses. Not sure if the A7S/ii/iir have cleaned any of those issues up, or if they were more hype than reality

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do Sony sensors do better with retrofocus lenses or deep-glass lenses?

I'm pondering the idea of putting the Nikonos 15mm lens on a NEX or A7ii. There's two versions, the early version extends into the camera body and the later version is more retrofocal and doesn't extend into the body. According to the people who build the housings either will clear the shutter.

I know some of the Sony APS-C sensors had real trouble in the corners particularly on lenses that aren't telecentric. Does that problem exist on their full frame sensors as well?

And which version is likely to perform better? I'm thinking it probably doesn't matter whether the nodal point is physically inside the lens or not, but I'm not really sure. I don't think the new version will be any worse at least.

Entirely dependent on the particular sensor. The a7RII is rumored to be better in the corners with legacy lenses.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Do any cameras from any manufacturers have programmable sorts of autofocus that can be told e.g. that the subject is behind bars/a fence/some other foreground object hard to avoid, and to avoid focusing on the foreground object?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Nope. That's where you come in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some (longer) lenses have focus limiters.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

nielsm posted:

Do any cameras from any manufacturers have programmable sorts of autofocus that can be told e.g. that the subject is behind bars/a fence/some other foreground object hard to avoid, and to avoid focusing on the foreground object?
There's different settings you can play around with (on my camera bodies anyway, no idea if it's standard) to control the behaviour of the AF where it won't jump from your subject to some tree branch while you're panning, which works really well once you've locked onto your subject.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Need a tripod that collapses to less than 14", I'm thinking 3 legged thing Punks-VYV and I'm using mirrorless. It appears they're discontinuing the magnesium one for a half pound heavier aluminium but I don't need the extra load.

Other than the magnesium guy, are there tripods around 200 that collapse nice and small that I'm missing?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Wookums posted:

Need a tripod that collapses to less than 14", I'm thinking 3 legged thing Punks-VYV and I'm using mirrorless. It appears they're discontinuing the magnesium one for a half pound heavier aluminium but I don't need the extra load.

Other than the magnesium guy, are there tripods around 200 that collapse nice and small that I'm missing?

Is 14" a hard limit? There's a lot more choice if you're willing to go to 16" or even 18".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah, don't want it increase the bag's width.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

I have a Mefoto Backpacker, I got it from Amazon for $149. It has a quick release plate, collapses down to 12.6", weighs 2.6 lbs and can support around 9 lbs. I like it, although I have used a better ball head than it has before, and it would be a good idea to use its hook and hang a weight to keep it stable when fully extended (I've taken to hanging its case filled with a couple of water bottles because my camera bag is too wide to attach.)

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried either of these 150-600mm lesnses?

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-745101-150-600mm-5-0-6-3-Medium-Telephoto-Lens/dp/B00THOYRN6
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-FocusA011C700-150-600mm-5-6-3-Cameras/dp/B00HR6IPSE

I'm looking for something that goes past the 250mm lens I have now, the guy at the camera shop recommended the Tamron and it doesn't seem like there's much else around that price range.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Page late, but don't care, gently caress filters, hail satan.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

Has anyone tried either of these 150-600mm lesnses?

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-745101-150-600mm-5-0-6-3-Medium-Telephoto-Lens/dp/B00THOYRN6
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-FocusA011C700-150-600mm-5-6-3-Cameras/dp/B00HR6IPSE

I'm looking for something that goes past the 250mm lens I have now, the guy at the camera shop recommended the Tamron and it doesn't seem like there's much else around that price range.

The Tamron is a great lens for the price. It is a big lens though- I've had my best results from a tripod, and it will take some getting use to in order to hand-hold steadily. You'll need to stop down a bit (~f9 or so), so will be easier to use with newer cameras that don't suck at 1600iso.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The Tamron is a great lens for the price. It is a big lens though- I've had my best results from a tripod, and it will take some getting use to in order to hand-hold steadily. You'll need to stop down a bit (~f9 or so), so will be easier to use with newer cameras that don't suck at 1600iso.

Good thing I picked up a 7D mk2, at least compared to the t3i I had previously. So go with the Tamron over the Sigma, or are they pretty much the same thing?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
They are pretty close. Here's one comparison of the two. I guess if I had to do it again maybe I'd look at the Sigma since it may be a little sharper at 600mm but when I bought mine only the Tamron was available horribly back-ordered.

Actually, knowing what I do now, I might save up for the Sport version since I mainly use this on a tripod anyway.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What's a recommended lens rental website, or local place around Minneapolis? Want to rent the Sigma C 150 600 mm this weekend

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

What's a recommended lens rental website, or local place around Minneapolis? Want to rent the Sigma C 150 600 mm this weekend

I've used LensRentals.com a couple times and been very happy with them.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

I've used LensRentals.com a couple times and been very happy with them.

Just got an order through in time for the weekend, so I blame you for recommending this gateway to lens ownership. If I choose to keep the lens, do I still get the usual warranty as if I bought it new?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

Just got an order through in time for the weekend, so I blame you for recommending this gateway to lens ownership. If I choose to keep the lens, do I still get the usual warranty as if I bought it new?

You're talking about that "buy it and we'll credit the rental fee towards the price" thing? You'd likely have to ask LensRentals that, but I'd tend to doubt it.

LensRentals posted:

What if I want an extended warranty or a retail box?
We can sell an extended warranty from CPSfor a fee, and in many cases, we can also send you a retail box if you’ll cover the shipping costs. Just email us after your purchase if you'd like to do either of those, and we'll take care of it.

It may also depend on the lens itself. I'd imagine most companies are cool with doing work on their higher-end glass than they are on some basic kit lens, but I don't know anything about how Sigma handles theirs.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311417860631

$399 for a Pentax K-50 (IBIS!) w/ 18-55 and 50-200mm weather resistant lens + flash.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Any opinions on the Sigma 18-35 art series? Mostly be using it for video / wide shots.

Normally I'm not big on zooms besides the 24-105. Tossing up The sigma, the similar Tamron 15-30mm or just buying a wide Samyang 12 or 14mm prime.

Using on a 5dmk2 mainly, but also adapt to other cameras like the nx500 and a7s occasionally.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

the_lion posted:

Any opinions on the Sigma 18-35 art series? Mostly be using it for video / wide shots.

Normally I'm not big on zooms besides the 24-105. Tossing up The sigma, the similar Tamron 15-30mm or just buying a wide Samyang 12 or 14mm prime.

Using on a 5dmk2 mainly, but also adapt to other cameras like the nx500 and a7s occasionally.
It's absolutely stellar for video.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

the_lion posted:

It's for APS-C sensors, so you can't really use it for your 5D. Well, you can, but there'll be heavy vignetting. Unless you mean the 24-35.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

the_lion posted:

Not a FF lens, but very very nice lens nonetheless. Good for video but no IS if that matters to you

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It's absolutely stellar for video.

Constellation I posted:

It's for APS-C sensors, so you can't really use it for your 5D. Well, you can, but there'll be heavy vignetting. Unless you mean the 24-35.

timrenzi574 posted:

Not a FF lens, but very very nice lens nonetheless. Good for video but no IS if that matters to you

Well, that was a large oversight on my part-did not spot that it wasn't full frame. The Tamron or the Samyang it is!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Looking at getting a Blackrapid strap. Considering the RS-5 and was wondering - do the pockets fold flat when not in use? Having extra storage space for batteries, a lens cloth, etc. seems really useful but I'd like to not have some huge bump on my should when I'm just carrying it empty.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Geoff Zahn posted:

Looking at getting a Blackrapid strap. Considering the RS-5 and was wondering - do the pockets fold flat when not in use? Having extra storage space for batteries, a lens cloth, etc. seems really useful but I'd like to not have some huge bump on my should when I'm just carrying it empty.

Not sure about the built in pockets on the cargo, but you could always buy one of the regular straps and add one of the accessory pouches to it. They don't sit too high when empty (maybe half an inch thick? ) , and you can just unclip the thing when you don't need it if that bothers you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

They're padded so they won't sit flat. Depending on what you're carrying, you could get a much slimmer strap like the Curve, or the Shot/Cross-Shot

I have the Cross-Shot for my mirrorless camera and I love it.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
At most I'd probably only carry a cloth, some business cards, and maybe spare batteries for a hotshoe flash. I saw the RS-4 for a few bucks cheaper, is it the same material minus the extra storage?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

At most I'd probably only carry a cloth, some business cards, and maybe spare batteries for a hotshoe flash. I saw the RS-4 for a few bucks cheaper, is it the same material minus the extra storage?

Yeah. Honestly you're better off going with one of the other models and keeping extra needed things either in your pants/shorts pocket or in a bag, unless you 100% know you're going to have the perfect use for that attached pocket.

E: and like timrenzi574 said, you can buy attachable pockets if you really want them.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
The pockets are awesome - I love being able to stick my wallet and phone in there when I'm out somewhere busy (jam packed theme park , busy city, etc) and have my camera. My wallet feels a lot safer high up on my chest than it does in my back pants pocket.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Ended up going with the RS-4. I usually keep my wallet in my front pocket if I'm somewhere busy like that anyways. And if I change my mind over the next week I can always exchange it for the RS-5 or, as timrenzi574 mentioned, buy extra pockets.

Also, I've had my D600 for two weeks now and just finally got a chance to shoot with it (mycoplasma pneumonia sucks!). Absolutely LOVE it. Shot a couple bands over the weekend at a bar, and I still can't get over the fact that ISO 6400 looks this clean.

edit: pulled it from my facebook so the quality dropped a bit, but you get the idea.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 12, 2015

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for some sort of all-purpose lens (Tamron 16-300?) and a macro lens for a Canon camera, as well as a camera bag that will fit a Canon 7Dmk2, those two lenses, and if possible the Sigma 150-600. What do you people like? Budget for all of it is $2k, I could go higher if it's worth it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I found the FE2 I learned on, as well as the lens I used. I'd like to keep the lens for when I get a DSLR, but it's a bit beat up. Noticeably there's a dent from when it fell, that impedes the ability of the lens to slide. Is this something you can get fixed? Is it even worth getting this lens fixed rather than buying a new one?

Terrible pictures of lens:

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm looking for some sort of all-purpose lens (Tamron 16-300?) and a macro lens for a Canon camera, as well as a camera bag that will fit a Canon 7Dmk2, those two lenses, and if possible the Sigma 150-600. What do you people like? Budget for all of it is $2k, I could go higher if it's worth it.

I borrowed my dad's DSLR (Nikon) with his superzoom to take some pictures of the camera gear that I was selling about a month ago and even with ideal lighting and stopping the lens down I was really displeased with the results. It was surprising actually, there were optical aberrations and was generally unsharp throughout the frame even stopped down to f/8. I would suggest not getting a superzoom, unless you're willing to trade off image quality for the sake of not having to carry around multiple lenses.