Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also remember that this mess is the result of two separate investigations that found they were investigating the same people: an IRS effort on Warner for tax evasion, and an FBI investigation of Russian organized crime.

FIFA being smarter about bribes may have warded off that first one, but if FIFA really is in bed with the Russian mafia I doubt any amount of being smarter about bribery would have helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Also remember that this mess is the result of two separate investigations that found they were investigating the same people: an IRS effort on Warner for tax evasion, and an FBI investigation of Russian organized crime.

FIFA being smarter about bribes may have warded off that first one, but if FIFA really is in bed with the Russian mafia I doubt any amount of being smarter about bribery would have helped.

It's also just not mafia, all the putin aligned oligarchs also had a extensive campaign to win votes for the world cup which include things like giving away art.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cythereal posted:

The bribery wasn't really the problem with Warner as far as being found out. It was not paying anything to the IRS. A separate luxury apartment for your cats is going to catch the eye of the IRS when you haven't filed poo poo with them. If Warner had just done the normal corrupt gently caress thing and hired a tax lawyer it would have been all good. He could have even put down his income as "Taking bribes like you wouldn't even believe. I mean, fuuuuuckloads of bribes." and the IRS would have been fine with it. The IRS will never give a poo poo as long as they're getting their piece.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

The bribery wasn't really the problem with Warner as far as being found out. It was not paying anything to the IRS. A separate luxury apartment for your cats is going to catch the eye of the IRS when you haven't filed poo poo with them. If Warner had just done the normal corrupt gently caress thing and hired a tax lawyer it would have been all good. He could have even put down his income as "Taking bribes like you wouldn't even believe. I mean, fuuuuuckloads of bribes." and the IRS would have been fine with it. The IRS will never give a poo poo as long as they're getting their piece.

You are getting Warner mixed with Chuck Blazer.

Blazer was the one who got caught since he made the Wesley Snipes mistake

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

EvanSchenck posted:

One thing I'm curious about is, could Fifa have continued to get away with this indefinitely if they'd been more intelligent about the countries they accepted bribes from? It seemed to me that from the moment they made the announcement, everybody was calling bullshit on the Qatar World Cup. It's just so obviously dumb and inappropriate, but I wonder if they could have just focused on extracting bribes from countries that at least made some degree of sense as hosts.

I don't think so, Qatar might have been what sent this off but you might have seen something like this eventually regardless. Like I posted earlier, soccer is getting big in the US, and the television rights are starting to be worth big bucks. US games can get higher viewership than Stanley Cup and NBA Finals games. Not to mention you get to target the largest growing demographic in the US, which again will lead to the sport getting bigger and bigger. Targeting this sort of corruption is great for US corps and knocking FIFA out in favor of an org with a lot more US influence would be a major coup.

I'm not saying that's why this is happening- Qatar being so incredibly obvious is the most likely explanation for why we are seeing things happen now. The investigation heating up lines up pretty much exactly with when they got the cup.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

EvanSchenck posted:

One thing I'm curious about is, could Fifa have continued to get away with this indefinitely if they'd been more intelligent about the countries they accepted bribes from? It seemed to me that from the moment they made the announcement, everybody was calling bullshit on the Qatar World Cup. It's just so obviously dumb and inappropriate, but I wonder if they could have just focused on extracting bribes from countries that at least made some degree of sense as hosts.

This sort of activity also has a strong tendency to snowball, either because future events require more to keep up, thus increasing your exposure, or because you start thinking you're untouchable and extend your reach, again increasing your exposure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

etalian posted:

You are getting Warner mixed with Chuck Blazer.

Blazer was the one who got caught since he made the Wesley Snipes mistake

You're right. However it's my understanding that Warner and the other North/South American officials wouldn't even have been on the IRS investigative radar if Blazer weren't such a dumbass.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I disagree with most of these posts. I think that Qatar's cup is a big target, but that the people targeting it are worried FIFA execs trying to cut a deal. The feds will take what they can get, but its the people who have been put under pressure who are giving these deals away. As we saw with the Morocco 98 and 2010 stuff and SA 2010 stuff it doesn't have to be obvious to outsiders to be drug up as part of this investigation. The only limit is that these things have to have involved transactions from US banks or US companies (or other countries which are running parallel investigations.)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cliff Racer posted:

I disagree with most of these posts. I think that Qatar's cup is a big target, but that the people targeting it are worried FIFA execs trying to cut a deal. The feds will take what they can get, but its the people who have been put under pressure who are giving these deals away. As we saw with the Morocco 98 and 2010 stuff and SA 2010 stuff it doesn't have to be obvious to outsiders to be drug up as part of this investigation. The only limit is that these things have to have involved transactions from US banks or US companies (or other countries which are running parallel investigations.)

I don't see what deals the FIFA elites can try for at this point that are anything better than "you might see the sun again before you die of old age, possibly." When the feds are just angling for whatever they can catch, they don't bust out RICO, which in this increasingly strained metaphor is the fishing equivalent of 1950s marine atomic test detonations.

I mean sure, the lesser execs will, and probably already have, rolled over to buy themselves a little less pain, but nobody's walking away from this with a wrist-slap I'd be willing to bet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

You're right. However it's my understanding that Warner and the other North/South American officials wouldn't even have been on the IRS investigative radar if Blazer weren't such a dumbass.

Even more hilarious how during the trail Blazer said he used the don't pay taxes strategy as a way to not attract US government attention.

It's mainly because a majority of his earnings for the year were from kickback payments, so don't taxes is the best way to trick the IRS.

This is a place that gave me a angry letter since my reported vs filed earnings were off by $5 last year.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't see what deals the FIFA elites can try for at this point that are anything better than "you might see the sun again before you die of old age, possibly." When the feds are just angling for whatever they can catch, they don't bust out RICO, which in this increasingly strained metaphor is the fishing equivalent of 1950s marine atomic test detonations.

I mean sure, the lesser execs will, and probably already have, rolled over to buy themselves a little less pain, but nobody's walking away from this with a wrist-slap I'd be willing to bet.
In a RICO investigation, the only guy walking away with minimum jail time is going to be the first big fish that turned informant. From my understanding, that spot is already taken by Blazer. For everyone else, the best offer they're probably getting is "Turn on Blatter and give us solid evidence, and we'll drop 47 out of the 48 charges we're hitting everyone in FIFA". RICO is a frankly ridiculous law, but doubling the penalties and making being in the same room as someone talking about a crime the same as actually doing it... well, it's pretty effective.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Jonked posted:

In a RICO investigation, the only guy walking away with minimum jail time is going to be the first big fish that turned informant. From my understanding, that spot is already taken by Blazer.

No, because Blazer's knowledge seems to clearly only extend to people from the Americas. They'll need more people to flip to get the big guys.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Sepp Blatter may seek to stay as Fifa president, source tells Swiss paper

The Asian and African football unions have pleaded with Blatter to stay on as Fifa boss. :lol:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Charlie Mopps posted:

The Asian and African football unions have pleaded with Blatter to stay on as Fifa boss. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I want it to happen to see John Oliver's meltdown and him trying to figure out a way to undrink that Bud Light Lime.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Antti posted:

I want it to happen to see John Oliver's meltdown and him trying to figure out a way to undrink that Bud Light Lime.

He probably "undrank" that Bud Light lime into a toilet as soon as the cameras turned off.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

I guess that answers the question who cast the most yes to Blatter ballots during the election.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Charlie Mopps posted:

In response, The FIFA Audit and Complaince Chariman tells Blatter he really should gently caress off.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Alkydere posted:

FIFA Audit and Complaince Chariman

How does this guy still have a job?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ohgodwhat posted:

Presumably his reports are just ASCII art printouts of ":stare:"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ohgodwhat posted:

His position was created and he was appointed specifically in response to the current situation.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hah, hadn't heard that. I am a little out of the loop. Did they have any sort of compliance officer before?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Discendo Vox posted:

His position was created and he was appointed specifically in response to the current situation.

Well, it's not like failure isn't expected, so you might as well take money to do it :shobon:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

I bet he's stupid enough to think that it's all "blown over" now, because it's no longer front page news every day. I doubt he fully appreciates how the gears of American justice grind slowly, but relentlessly. And when they finally take him down, I'll be much happier with it happening to the sitting president, rather than the disgraced former president.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Blatter was just kidding, guys. He didnt really resign.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Xandu posted:

Blatter was just kidding, guys. He didnt really resign.

Holy fuckin lol it's true

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Ahahaha what. Got a link?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/33284185

Edit: from the guardian. Maybe he's senile?
"With a typically obtuse flourish, the 79-year-old added: “Only those who know the past can understand the present and shape the future. Or in other words: the ball is round – but only those who come from outer space know the actual dimensions of our sport … For me personally, the museum is a labour of love. But do not get me wrong: I’m not ready for the museum nor for a waxwork yet.”

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 26, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xandu posted:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/33284185

Edit: from the guardian. Maybe he's senile?
"With a typically obtuse flourish, the 79-year-old added: “Only those who know the past can understand the present and shape the future. Or in other words: the ball is round – but only those who come from outer space know the actual dimensions of our sport … For me personally, the museum is a labour of love. But do not get me wrong: I’m not ready for the museum nor for a waxwork yet.”

Imagine four suitcases full of cash on a cliff...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
HE MADE JOHN OLIVER DRINK A BUD LIGHT LIME FOR NOTHING!!!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

RandomPauI posted:

What a monster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RandomPauI posted:

He also made him wear those fugly-rear end shoes and eat trash from McDonalds.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
His daughter says he's still resigning.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Old Blatter loves to hear himself talk.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Not surprised that Blatter won't risk going to a country that might extradite him to present the Women's World Cup, considering how little he thinks of women's soccer. He didn't put any thought into how to generate more interest in the Women's World Cup than "skimpier uniforms". He seems genuinely delusional, though, if he thinks that he's going to maintain his position and not end up in jail.

OddObserver posted:

The proposal is to bulldoze over some warehouse/food processing district, which also has some maintenance facilities of the public transport system.
Right around here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...f09c74a!6m1!1e1
And IIRC the stadium is actually supposed to be 100% temporary, just completely torn down --- and of course they want expensive housing to be there afterwards.

And anyway, the organizers basically showed almost... FIFA-like arrogance in how they did things --- basically completely behind closed doors, without any sort of
involvement with the community (unless you count the Boston mayor as community?). Like, say, they tentatively placed events in parks without consulting non-profits
that maintain them!

P. S. That article on Brookline opposition is already out of date. Brookline town meeting voted 111-46 on a resolution against hosting the Olympics in the area.
Boston 2024 organizers did not send anyone to speak to the town meeting, just sent a letter. Much earlier Cambridge did the same, in a city council vote.

You can see Brookline's resolution here, on page 37.
http://brooklinema.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/7253
It starts with "Whereas: the Town of Brookline, surrounded on three sides and about 85% of its
borders by Boston, was never consulted about hosting the 2024 Olympics before
Boston2024's private bid was placed, proposing at least two events within our town;"
...Well, I think you get my point.

P.P.S. A lot of Boston is already on dredged up land in the bay, BTW

This is from a couple pages ago, but bulldozing big sections of Boston is going to be a nightmarishly complicated undertaking, especially if Bob Kraft gets his way and they use taxpayer money. There are a ton of National Register buildings, districts, and landmarks in Boston that you would need to spend at least a year doing just historic architectural and archaeological surveys (I think it took around a year to do the work for the Central Artery Project, for example), let alone the rest of the logistical crap you'd need to do.

From what I understand, they want the soccer stadium to be permanent. Kraft was going to build a stadium and move the Revolution up to Boston (where attendance would be much higher; I guess a lot of soccer fans living in the city don't have the means to travel to Foxboro) sometime between 2018 and 2020, if memory serves. But now he's going to hold off on moving the team until 2024 so he can just take over the Olympic stadium and not have to be the one who's footing the entire bill for a new stadium.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gordon Shumway posted:

Not surprised that Blatter won't risk going to a country that might extradite him to present the Women's World Cup, considering how little he thinks of women's soccer. He didn't put any thought into how to generate more interest in the Women's World Cup than "skimpier uniforms". He seems genuinely delusional, though, if he thinks that he's going to maintain his position and not end up in jail.

This is from a couple pages ago, but bulldozing big sections of Boston is going to be a nightmarishly complicated undertaking, especially if Bob Kraft gets his way and they use taxpayer money. There are a ton of National Register buildings, districts, and landmarks in Boston that you would need to spend at least a year doing just historic architectural and archaeological surveys (I think it took around a year to do the work for the Central Artery Project, for example), let alone the rest of the logistical crap you'd need to do.

From what I understand, they want the soccer stadium to be permanent. Kraft was going to build a stadium and move the Revolution up to Boston (where attendance would be much higher; I guess a lot of soccer fans living in the city don't have the means to travel to Foxboro) sometime between 2018 and 2020, if memory serves. But now he's going to hold off on moving the team until 2024 so he can just take over the Olympic stadium and not have to be the one who's footing the entire bill for a new stadium.

Not really, I'm looking to buy a house near there because its some of the cheapest land still available in the city and its ripe for gentrification as they're running out of poo poo to bulldoze in the seaport district next door.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Not really, I'm looking to buy a house near there because its some of the cheapest land still available in the city and its ripe for gentrification as they're running out of poo poo to bulldoze in the seaport district next door.

There's a difference between development that's privately funded and massive scale development using taxpayer money, though.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Anything new going on??

Ever since the bitcoin blockchain of tears dried up I need new schadentertainement.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dawncloack posted:

Anything new going on??

Ever since the bitcoin blockchain of tears dried up I need new schadentertainement.

Last I heard was that the DOJ had officially requested the extradition of Jack Warner and for the state department to start negotiating for it but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dawncloack posted:

Anything new going on??

The Japanese police have arrested the owner of Mt. Gox and are going to try him.

• Locked thread