Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hypnolobster posted:

Why does my search not work? I probably turned a few things off when I installed, but currently if I hit the windows key and try and search, say, 'calc' or 'disk cleanup' or any installed program, I don't get any results.

Where do I start looking to figure this out?

I've had a similar issue where Cortana just gives up the ghost and refuses to find anything, usually after a few hours of the computer being on. If it isn't patched this week then it's probably worth sending them feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I'm looking to do a clean reinstall of 8 pro and was thinking of installing windows on GPT rather than MBR. My graphics card is a gtx 660 though and does not have a UEFI bios. My question is, if I install windows w/ GPT will I run into any issues as long as my motherboard has that CSM thing enabled?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Hypnolobster posted:

Why does my search not work? I probably turned a few things off when I installed, but currently if I hit the windows key and try and search, say, 'calc' or 'disk cleanup' or any installed program, I don't get any results.

Where do I start looking to figure this out?

I had the same issue after upgrading from Windows 7 Home.
I tried deleting and rebuilding the index, and also running an sfc /scannow etc, but those did not fix it.
What fixed it was to create a new eg. "test" local account, sign out from my current one, sign in with the new test account, and then search started working, and kept working with my original account too (reference)

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 3, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

drat, you have an old machine. What CPU?

My Thinkpad X41 also gets that message (it uses a 1.5 ghz Pentium M from about 10 years ago), though it did run Windows 10 previews ok-ish.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Having a weird problem; I installed my win10 fresh after having problems, and it works fine.
Want to install it on my girlfriend's pc, (who has a Win7 with a different product key, she has an OEM and I have a boxed home), yet the windows 10 install keeps giving us the same product key.
I look with a tool like ProduKey or Jelly Bean Keyfinder, but it keeps giving me the same key so I can't activate it for her. What gives? Is it limited to one per IP?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Krolm posted:

Having a weird problem; I installed my win10 fresh after having problems, and it works fine.
Want to install it on my girlfriend's pc, (who has a Win7 with a different product key, she has an OEM and I have a boxed home), yet the windows 10 install keeps giving us the same product key.
I look with a tool like ProduKey or Jelly Bean Keyfinder, but it keeps giving me the same key so I can't activate it for her. What gives? Is it limited to one per IP?

Do you think MS can afford to give everyone a unique key? They give everyone the same key and tie it to the PC's hardware ID. Your girlfriend will need to do the upgrade like everyone else.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

Bleak Gremlin

r0ck0 posted:

Do you think MS can afford to give everyone a unique key? They give everyone the same key and tie it to the PC's hardware ID. Your girlfriend will need to do the upgrade like everyone else.

Thanks, maybe I didn't clarify; I did do the upgrade for her. From windows 7 to windows 10. And it is activated in that case; However, if I want to do a clean install after that, like I did on my own pc, I would format the drive, and install from the ISO.
To do that, you need a product key. Which I extract beforehand from the non-clean upgraded install using ProduKey or JellyBean; But these keys are the same on both our systems - despite different 7 keys, and different hardware?

This key doesn't activate on a fresh install again it seems..

edit; if all else fails I can keep the non-clean install which is activated, but then we'd be SOL for one of our systems, whichever needs a reinstall for whatever reason first..

Krolm fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 3, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

r0ck0 posted:

They give everyone the same key and tie it to the PC's hardware ID.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Well I discovered a new Windows 10 "Feature": Guest account functionality is removed. Even enabling it via GPO/local security policy does nothing (other than adding a broken link to Guest on the user pulldown from Start menu, but that just prompts you to log back in to your regular account). Nothing shows up on the login screen or in the user management control panel even after rebooting.

Awesome!

Edit: corroboration here. Anyways it turns out it's just the built-in Guest account. You can still make users and add them to the Guests group, which seems to work properly.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 3, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Krolm posted:

Thanks, maybe I didn't clarify; I did do the upgrade for her. From windows 7 to windows 10. And it is activated in that case; However, if I want to do a clean install after that, like I did on my own pc, I would format the drive, and install from the ISO.
To do that, you need a product key. Which I extract beforehand from the non-clean upgraded install using ProduKey or JellyBean; But these keys are the same on both our systems - despite different 7 keys, and different hardware?

This key doesn't work on a fresh install again by the way..

edit; if all else fails I can keep the non-clean install which is activated, but then we'd be SOL for one of our systems, whichever needs a reinstall for whatever reason first..

You do not need to enter a key, once the install finishes it will check and activate online.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

Bleak Gremlin
All it gave me was "activation failed", but I guess I'll wait and see if it's getting hammered and try again later first. Thanks, I didn't realize they were supposed to be the same.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Krolm posted:

This key doesn't work on a fresh install again by the way..

When people say it's tied to the hardware id they mean you don't need a CD key to flatten and reinstall. just hit skip and it'll activate when you go online with the same upgrade key over a billion other free upgrades are entitled to. Now as to what you do if the motherboard fries itself and you need to replace more than five or so pieces of internal hardware I'm not too sure about.

Also if you want to reinstall try going to Settings/Update&Security/Recovery and try a reset first. Wipes out %ProgramFiles% and %Windows% while saving user profiles then reinstalls Windows cleanly.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

If you're upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8, you basically have a "single system" license. What this means is that when Windows 10 is upgraded for the first time, Windows generates a unique hardware identifier based on the hardware in your computer. (There's an actual key for these installs, but it's a generic key that basically tells Windows that you have a single-system setup going on.) The hardware identifier is sent to Microsoft for storage. When Windows 10 is installed again, the hardware identifier is re-generated, and sent to Microsoft, and if the keys match you're good to go. If enough hardware has changed since the original installation, the activation will fail. Don't fear, this just means you'll have to call up Microsoft and they'll walk you through getting the license reset.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

Bleak Gremlin

This might be the problem then; I did replace some harddrives with SSD's - maybe that's enough to set it off. I'll give them a call. Thanks all!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For some reason, my Photos app won't open and continuously crashes. Anyone know of a fix?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Is Flash completely trashed or what? any kind of streaming video just doesn't play or locks up a browser tab, Youtube sorta works but isn't at the moment. And also for some reason my regular video files have the same problem, some play fine, some play corrupted, and some freeze... it's the strangest thing since this extends to streaming to my downstairs media pc.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Super Slash posted:

Is Flash completely trashed or what? any kind of streaming video just doesn't play or locks up a browser tab, Youtube sorta works but isn't at the moment. And also for some reason my regular video files have the same problem, some play fine, some play corrupted, and some freeze... it's the strangest thing since this extends to streaming to my downstairs media pc.

I agree with you that motherfuck Flash, but it doesn't seem to be at fault. After all, YouTube is mostly an HTML5 joint and Flash can't get at your local media players.

Sounds like a graphics driver thing. What GPU, what driver version (and from where), and what are you using to stream across the house?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Oh this is new.

Back when the horror stories of Windows 10 came through, I canceled the reservation on one machine, then uninstalled and hid 3035583 on it.

All well and good, until it started dropping "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home - Failed" in the Windows Update history pretty much every update pulse.

So how do I stop that, google, oh clear the Windows Update cache ($WINDOWS$\SoftwareDistribution\Download), okay.

And now it's downloaded the upgrade again.

Is there any way to stop this, short of accepting the upgrade or paving the computer?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Like all these things its only people with problems that are posting

If the upgrade was as bad as this thread is making out it would be making national news

Why not just see if it works, and roll it back if not?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has anyone tried using Mail and Calendar with google accounts? They both seem to download information just fine, but putting it back (i.e. marking email as read) doesn't seem to ever update GMail in the web browser, on my phone, etc.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Oh this is new.

Back when the horror stories of Windows 10 came through, I canceled the reservation on one machine, then uninstalled and hid 3035583 on it.

All well and good, until it started dropping "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home - Failed" in the Windows Update history pretty much every update pulse.

So how do I stop that, google, oh clear the Windows Update cache ($WINDOWS$\SoftwareDistribution\Download), okay.

And now it's downloaded the upgrade again.

Is there any way to stop this, short of accepting the upgrade or paving the computer?

I did the same and got the same problem.
I plan to upgrade sometimes next year, and didn't understand the reservation thing at first so I reserved and now this.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone tried using Mail and Calendar with google accounts? They both seem to download information just fine, but putting it back (i.e. marking email as read) doesn't seem to ever update GMail in the web browser, on my phone, etc.

I haven't used them much since I haven't installed 10 on my main computer, but it seems to be marking emails read just fine.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I tried and removed it for these reasons.

Also, it didn't really help with getting stuff from my Google calendar to the Win 10 one. It just pulled birthdays instead.

I hate 3rd party mail programs so I didn't use Mail. It still decided to flood my Notifications with mail regardless.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Skarsnik posted:

If the upgrade was as bad as this thread is making out it would be making national news

Because I already was one of the people with problems, on multiple machines.

The only reason I use 10 on anything at all is because that particular machine, despite the Synaptics touchpad fight, was even more miserable on 7.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 3, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Everyone I know that has upgraded had a really easy experience and they're loving it. It's making it hard to resist upgrading on my main work desktop. :smith:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I tried and removed it for these reasons.

Also, it didn't really help with getting stuff from my Google calendar to the Win 10 one. It just pulled birthdays instead.

I hate 3rd party mail programs so I didn't use Mail. It still decided to flood my Notifications with mail regardless.

Same here, the calendar thing was annoying. I want to use the Mail and Calendar apps, but they suck so bad.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Anyone else get this one? :v:

Aside from this, so far so good. Easily explainable though, by the fact this is a 2009 Acer Aspire One with a single core 1.7 GHZ AMD K7, so everything takes longer than usual. But I wanted to try it on a nonessential machine first.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Aside from this, so far so good. Easily explainable though, by the fact this is a 2009 Acer Aspire One with a single core 1.7 GHZ AMD K7, so everything takes longer than usual. But I wanted to try it on a nonessential machine first.

I got it on my laptop, but after waiting it worked fine.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hogo Fogo posted:

I did the same and got the same problem.
I plan to upgrade sometimes next year, and didn't understand the reservation thing at first so I reserved and now this.

I have the same issue. Ms should have been more clear about the force-feeding. Someone here said just cancelling the reservation and unistalling the KB should work, but no. Also switching WU to manual update mode does not help, my WU log still keeps getting spammed with failed upgrade attempts.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

hooah posted:

Last night, I changed the time server from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov. Woke up this morning and discovered that somehow my time zone got changed from US Eastern time to Caracas time. That was weird.

Does time.windows.com still only work like one out of every ten times you try to sync something to it?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I had that when upgrading my mom's slow machine, and it got there eventually. Just leave it alone and it'll chug through.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

I had that when upgrading my mom's slow machine, and it got there eventually. Just leave it alone and it'll chug through.

I wonder if it is worth trying to upgrade my old netbook I think that runs windows 7.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

HERAK posted:

I wonder if it is worth trying to upgrade my old netbook I think that runs windows 7.

Go for it, clean install. I upgraded a Windows 7 Starter edition netbook to 10. Still doesn't run very well but it runs better than it did with 7.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I reverted back to Windows 7 and I feel like I've actually gone forward in time to a period when worthless Metro apps and inconsistent UI functionality lost their battle against humanity

surc
Aug 17, 2004

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I reverted back to Windows 7 and I feel like I've actually gone forward in time to a period when worthless Metro apps and inconsistent UI functionality lost their battle against humanity

If you're Kyle Reese, I've got some bad news for you.

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells
Is there any way I can get the old Windows 7 Minesweeper and Solitaire working in Windows 10?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Krolm posted:

This might be the problem then; I did replace some harddrives with SSD's - maybe that's enough to set it off. I'll give them a call. Thanks all!

The SSD swap shouldn't be an issue. The activation issue is common. Try the "Reset this PC" option. For some reason doing that is causing it to be activated. Maybe the "reset" lets you jump the activation line or something. Has worked on a few of my installs and others online having success too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cure for Optimism posted:

Is there any way I can get the old Windows 7 Minesweeper and Solitaire working in Windows 10?

I don't know about the Windows versions but Mines-Perfect is a free alternative to Minesweeper that is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Are there issues with Windows 10 and enabling NVidia SLI? I did a fresh driver install but I don't see the option to enable SLI in the NVidia Control Panel, although it does recognize both of my cards.

Edit: GeForce Experience incorrectly thought I had the lastest drivers installed. Windows Update wouldn't work, so I manually installed the latest drivers from NVidia's website and did a fresh install and SLI was detected.

beergod fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 4, 2015

• Locked thread