Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Jazerus posted:

Taking captives in war as slaves was already an established practice, but more like Roman or Ottoman slavery than chattel slavery. The good that really escalated things was not tobacco but guns; good old "arm one side, profit" imperialism. This established a vicious cycle of trading slaves for guns (and other stuff, yes) so that you could dominate your neighbors to sell them for more stuff.

actually, current scholarship suggests that trade goods such as alcohol (because African fermenting techniques did not create liquor as strong as Europeans made), and textiles vastly outweighed the trade of guns in the slave trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

BUG JUG posted:

actually, current scholarship suggests that trade goods such as alcohol (because African fermenting techniques did not create liquor as strong as Europeans made), and textiles vastly outweighed the trade of guns in the slave trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUi1xtUQkBI

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BUG JUG posted:

Well, yeah, you can't drink a gun. You only have to trade for one. Liquor keeps the customers coming back for more and more.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BUG JUG posted:

That's really interesting! Is trade volume a good measure of relative importance though? Guns are a much more durable good than liquor or textiles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I"m pretty sure if a pedo showed up wanting to teach pre school, you could still call the cops on them. Though I'm sure guys like Barton assume that gays are all pedos so there's no distinction.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jazerus posted:

That's really interesting! Is trade volume a good measure of relative importance though? Guns are a much more durable good than liquor or textiles.

There was a historian who attempted to claim that gun ownership in the 18th century was uncommon in America. He presented dubious primary and secondary sources. He was found out only after people did basic research.

Then there's also the lady who appears on TV to talk about past presidents and history on TV, but was never trained as a historian. She plagiarized a lot of her poo poo. She still gets TV gigs.

It is a really interesting topic. It can be hard to find good factual stuff on topics about the slave trade, and thus there is a lot of crap.

Nothing you all have posted is crap, just something to keep in mind when digging for history in general, especially topics pre-19th century.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jurgan posted:

Now I have to share this picture again. I call it irony.png:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A coworker of mine started spouting out crazy poo poo at work this week including "in 10 years over 50% of gay men have AIDS" and "if you got rid of gays, AIDS would disappear. It's God's way of punishing them". I started trying to explain to him how viral transmission works for the virus, but he told me he was a biology major and knows the science behind this (also, if you stopped listening to the "liberal" media you'd learn the truth about HIV and AIDS). It stunned me how he was just so sure about this poo poo and he honestly bought into it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I"m pretty sure if a pedo showed up wanting to teach pre school, you could still call the cops on them. Though I'm sure guys like Barton assume that gays are all pedos so there's no distinction.

Yeah, you answered your own question. Gay == pedo to these people.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder if it ties into the classic narrative of Men being incapable of controlling their sexuality and people need to be responsible for protecting themselves from men

"go out at night in a miniskirt? Of course you got raped!"

"Went into the woods with a gay man? of course you got raped!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Screaming Idiot posted:

George Carlin should have done documentaries; it's the only thing he could have done that was more education than his actual act short of getting elected to office.

He did "Thomas the Train" for a few seasons.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 2, 2015

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

He did "Thomas the Train" for a few seasons.

Shining TIme Station. He was Mr. Conductor.

Wait, why do I know this?!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Because according to a picture I once saw on Facebook, it must mean you had an awesome child hood. Also you must be a 90's kid because only they would remember that.

I preferred Ringo Mr. Conductor as a kid. But I had no idea who either Carlin or Ringo were so..

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder if it ties into the classic narrative of Men being incapable of controlling their sexuality and people need to be responsible for protecting themselves from men

"go out at night in a miniskirt? Of course you got raped!"

"Went into the woods with a gay man? of course you got raped!"

"If you were a real man, you wouldn't have gotten raped by a gay dude. You had to have let it happen."

Remember that all gay men are effeminate, flaming, limp-wristed homos, and Real Men are always stronger and better due to not inciting God's Punishment upon them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

J.A.B.C. posted:

"If you were a real man, you wouldn't have gotten raped by a gay dude. You had to have let it happen."

Remember that all gay men are effeminate, flaming, limp-wristed homos, and Real Men are always stronger and better due to not inciting God's Punishment upon them.

This goes all the way back to the ancient world where despite genitalia involved, the masculine one does the penetrating because the only thing real men do is gently caress other people. They don't get hosed.

Clearly the one being abused is the one in the wrong because they weren't strong enough to do the abuse.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Because "Shining Time Station" was a wonderful kids' show.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vargatron posted:

A coworker of mine started spouting out crazy poo poo at work this week including "in 10 years over 50% of gay men have AIDS" and "if you got rid of gays, AIDS would disappear. It's God's way of punishing them". I started trying to explain to him how viral transmission works for the virus, but he told me he was a biology major and knows the science behind this (also, if you stopped listening to the "liberal" media you'd learn the truth about HIV and AIDS). It stunned me how he was just so sure about this poo poo and he honestly bought into it.

Ask him why God plagues heteros with so many diseases that are vanishingly rare in lesbian relationships then

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Epic High Five posted:

Ask him why God plagues heteros with so many diseases that are vanishingly rare in lesbian relationships then

Cuz watching lesbian couples makes them feel funny inside. Therefore good.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is pretty telling

Breitbart did an article earlier this week about the gay pride parade in Jerusalem that ended with a religious nut stabbing multiple people. Comments were celebratory as one would expect. One of the females who were stabbed, died earlier today. Breitbart has an article on it but closed comments

http://www.breitbart.com/news/girl-wounded-in-attack-on-jerusalem-gay-pride-parade-dies/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I clicked that link and then followed a related article link to an article about Trump and in the comments there was someone accusing Karl Rove of being a RINO and another saying that Rand Paul has too much appeal with democrats.

These people are delusional.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Epic High Five posted:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/breaking_mike_pence_s_investigation_of_planned_parenthood_finds_zero_violations

As a Hoosier myself, I must happily report that Pence can get hosed and I hope somebody sends him the bill for the taxpayer dollars he wasted on this transparently manufactured scandal

Maybe now if he's so concerned with rooting out illegal activity he'll investigate CMP for their fraudulent IRShahaha yeah right

edit - "I wonder what Trump thinks about this" is as prevalent as ever and it must make the reactionary evangelical branch of the GOP furious

I'm confused, I just watched a leading story on fox news showing the sick video of doctors sorting out baby parts for sale on a petri dish!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is pretty telling

Breitbart did an article earlier this week about the gay pride parade in Jerusalem that ended with a religious nut stabbing multiple people. Comments were celebratory as one would expect. One of the females who were stabbed, died earlier today. Breitbart has an article on it but closed comments

http://www.breitbart.com/news/girl-wounded-in-attack-on-jerusalem-gay-pride-parade-dies/

It's really kind of creepy that they post these articles and obviously know the opinions of their readers aren't socially acceptable but continue stoking the fire constantly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radish posted:

It's really kind of creepy that they post these articles and obviously know the opinions of their readers aren't socially acceptable but continue stoking the fire constantly.

I'm curious to see if poo poo like disabling the comments will come to bite them in the rear end. Whenever a "lone gunman" does something terrible and basically repeats Rush/Bill O/etc talking points verbatim, all of them brush it off and say it was a joke or a huge misunderstanding. If someone goes out and emulates the Israeli pride parade stabbing and indicates that his primary news source is Breitbart, I'm curious to what bullshit excuse they try to use to wiggle out of it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But the left is exactly the same, just look at Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow and all the killings they've precipitated!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

VideoTapir posted:

But the left is exactly the same, just look at Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow and all the killings they've precipitated!

I count one, Crossfire.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Same thing they do when a white person who gets all their news from conservative outlets kills a bunch of black people:

• "False flag"
• dig up prior parking tickets to show they were no angel, clearly someone with civil violations must have done something to incite this
• Don't mention the killer's politics at all
• "if only that gay had had a gun... See, this could have been prevented if it weren't for lieburals!"

When the victim is gay instead of black, you get an opportunity for bonus excuses!

• the rape analogy: "if he hadn't been out there flaunting his gayness, he wouldn't have gotten stabbed"
• divine retribution for sinful ways

It's quite easy for conservatives to twist even the most clear-cut case of terrorism from their own into anything but what it is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sexual Aluminum posted:

He narrated Thomas the Train too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toHx2CWF9eA

Unless you weren't correcting me and just adding to the list.

I only know it because my son used to watch Thomas and I was sure I recognized the voice. Never heard of Shining TIme Station.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Mark Levine is apparently a scholar now.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't know it was possible for giant talking milkshakes to be scholars

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BiggerBoat posted:

He narrated Thomas the Train too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toHx2CWF9eA

Unless you weren't correcting me and just adding to the list.

I only know it because my son used to watch Thomas and I was sure I recognized the voice. Never heard of Shining TIme Station.

Are you British? "Thomas & Friends" was incorporated into "Shining Time Station," which provided live-action framing stories for the Thomas stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_%26_Friends
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Time_Station

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Flobbster posted:

Same thing they do when a white person who gets all their news from conservative outlets kills a bunch of black people:

• "False flag"
• dig up prior parking tickets to show they were no angel, clearly someone with civil violations must have done something to incite this
• "if only that gay had had a gun... See, this could have been prevented if it weren't for lieburals!"

When the victim is gay instead of black, you get an opportunity for bonus excuses!

• the rape analogy: "if he hadn't been out there flaunting his gayness, he wouldn't have gotten stabbed"

It's quite easy for conservatives to twist even the most clear-cut case of terrorism from their own into anything but what it is.

Nothing continues to depress me more than the fact that the 2014 Vegas shootings were categorized as crazy lone wolf action despite literally every detail about the entire thing being a Tea Party checklist of crazy poo poo they all agree on and also they draped the Tea Party flag on the body of a police officer they shot

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

Nothing continues to depress me more than the fact that the 2014 Vegas shootings were categorized as crazy lone wolf action despite literally every detail about the entire thing being a Tea Party checklist of crazy poo poo they all agree on and also they draped the Tea Party flag on the body of a police officer they shot

The most ridiculous part of that is that the right is just nonstop screeching for a second revolution and fantasizing about literally exterminating the liberals but when one of them actually does start shooting they just go "not ours!!!!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Epic High Five posted:

"Lone wolf" means the killer didn't have any help or direction from others. It doesn't mean they aren't part of a movement. Or, IT USED TO.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Nonsense posted:

There was a historian who attempted to claim that gun ownership in the 18th century was uncommon in America. He presented dubious primary and secondary sources. He was found out only after people did basic research.

Then there's also the lady who appears on TV to talk about past presidents and history on TV, but was never trained as a historian. She plagiarized a lot of her poo poo. She still gets TV gigs.

It is a really interesting topic. It can be hard to find good factual stuff on topics about the slave trade, and thus there is a lot of crap.

Nothing you all have posted is crap, just something to keep in mind when digging for history in general, especially topics pre-19th century.

David Beschloss and Doris Kearns Goodwin, are plagiarists, yes. As was Stephen Ambrose. To your point about "good factual stuff about the slave trade," I am more than willing to give you a reading list of really great scholarship on the subject (though, most historians would shy away from using the word "factual" when describing their work). Slavery and the slave trade are sort of hot topics in history right now, and there are probably a couple dozen books being published every year on these subjects. Pre-nineteenth century history is no more or less faulty of a field, but historians of that period do have to be more careful to ensure that they are not filling in the gaps of documentary evidence with speculation, and especially have to make sure that their work is firmly grounded in the historiography (which, should be good scholarship if you've paid any attention to it at all).

As for 'volume being a good measure': that's an excellent question. I think the historian who wrote on the alcohol trade -- Jose C. Curto, Enslaving Spirits: The Portuguese-Brazilian Alcohol Trade at Luanda and its Hinterland, c. 1550-1830(2004) (and I might add it's been about a decade since I read this so I might be mistaken) -- simply made the point that the volume of alcohol going to Africa was a much moer significant portion of the trade that brought five million Africans to Brazil than previously thought, and we might infer that while guns are a more durable good and have generally more utility in warfare and helping to capture slaves, they are just a one time purchase (discounting the continued cost of buying munitions) whereas since alcohol is something one must buy continually in order to use it in rituals or for personal use, which makes it much more useful for sustaining trade networks.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Flobbster posted:

• "False flag"

"Remember <any mass shooter who was a registered Democrat>? Guess they did it because of NPR."

edit: Fundamentalist Muslims are liberals for the purposes of that quote (and any other purposes), it doesn't have to make sense.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

James Garfield posted:

"Remember <any mass shooter who was a registered Democrat>? Guess they did it because of NPR."

edit: Fundamentalist Muslims are liberals for the purposes of that quote (and any other purposes), it doesn't have to make sense.

To be fair getting stuck listening to you bet your garden does make me want to kill someone

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Are you British? "Thomas & Friends" was incorporated into "Shining Time Station," which provided live-action framing stories for the Thomas stories.

No I'm not British.

I just had a kid 4.5 years ago and he watched Thomas the Train on TV a lot for a while there. Eventually, I began to recognize Carlin's voice I Googled it, watched the credits for TTT and then saw that it was indeed him narrating. Someone posted that George Carlin should have done educational stuff and I remembered that he did Thomas the Train . Someone else posted Shining Train Station. Apparently the two shows are related. Someone asked how any of us could know about these shows without being toddlers in the 90's.

And so forth.

Doesn't really matter beyond the larger point that Carlin did, indeed, do educational kids shows. Nothing on the level of Rush Revere of course, but then again, what is?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

Because "Shining Time Station" was a wonderful kids' show.

Ringo was a better conductor :colbert:

And I like how the British version of Thomas calls Sir Toppham Hat the 'Fat Controller'

"gently caress off about my weight issues Thomas."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Ringo was a better conductor :colbert:

And I like how the British version of Thomas calls Sir Toppham Hat the 'Fat Controller'

"gently caress off about my weight issues Thomas."

He gets his revenge by walling up any engine he deems not useful any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

He gets his revenge by walling up any engine he deems not useful any more.

The Cask of Amontillado: Thomas Edition.