Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
You're forgetting about the actual first game of the season:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Slate Action posted:

You're forgetting about the actual first game of the season:

Interesting, looks like Montana is coached by Bob Stitt. Given all the hype he's gotten as an offensive innovator in recent years, I'm curious to see if he can perform at a higher level.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

DJExile posted:

We're officially one month from the start of the season! Get ready for some hot hot ACC action when Wake plays Elon Phoenix on Thursday September 3rd!

And Arizona vs. UTSA later that night! Get hype.

E: And Opening Game Darlings Georgia State play Charlotte on Friday the 4th on ESPNU. At 3:30 PM because... reasons.
E2: And Kent State gets to beat Illinois that same friday night on Big Ten Network!

What the gently caress is Elon Phoenix? Sounds like the bad guy from demolition man.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Spacemonkey57 posted:

What the gently caress is Elon Phoenix? Sounds like the bad guy from demolition man.

A hilariously bad* FCS team. Wake might actually get to look like a good team for a week.

(* - lost their last three games vs. FBS competition by a combined score of 184-13)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm assuming one was a 16 to 13 loss against Muschamp Gators.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pakled posted:

Interesting, looks like Montana is coached by Bob Stitt. Given all the hype he's gotten as an offensive innovator in recent years, I'm curious to see if he can perform at a higher level.

Even if he does well I wouldn't be surprised if he loses that one, ND State is a powerhouse and way better than even most bottom tier IA teams. They have a winning record all time against FBS schools and have won 5 straight (soon to be 6 when they inevitably beat Iowa next year)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

They'd be in elite company.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Even if he does well I wouldn't be surprised if he loses that one, ND State is a powerhouse and way better than even most bottom tier IA teams. They have a winning record all time against FBS schools and have won 5 straight (soon to be 6 when they inevitably beat Iowa next year)

Yeah North Dakota State is a monster. It'll be cool to see Stitt and his offense taking a step forward but they're in no way beating the Bison.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Sadly no, they've all been contributions to the Touchdowns For Needy ACC Teams Fund:

Duke 52, Elon 13
Georgia Tech 70, Elon 0
UNC 62, Elon 0

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Slate Action posted:

A hilariously bad* FCS team. Wake might actually get to look like a good team for a week.

(* - lost their last three games vs. FBS competition by a combined score of 184-13)

They also have the most hilariously bad logo in the NCAA.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Yeah North Dakota State is a monster. It'll be cool to see Stitt and his offense taking a step forward but they're in no way beating the Bison.

I am actually annoyed Iowa even scheduled them. There is basically no reward there and it's way riskier than scheduling a bottom of the barrel MAC team or whatever. If you really need to schedule a FCS team at least make sure it's a garbage one that you'll definitely beat, because people aren't going to be impressed either way.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

MourningView posted:

I am actually annoyed Iowa even scheduled them. There is basically no reward there and it's way riskier than scheduling a bottom of the barrel MAC team or whatever. If you really need to schedule a FCS team at least make sure it's a garbage one that you'll definitely beat, because people aren't going to be impressed either way.

Losing Carson Wentz after this year will be some mighty big shoes to fill. Iowa will be fine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
NDSU is like a guy in his 20s who still hangs out at the high school

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

MourningView posted:

This is also a compelling argument to never schedule ECU (although they might actually suck for a little while now without Shane Carden and Justin Hardy).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

LeeMajors posted:

They'd be in elite company.

C'mon man you were just asking for that. As soon as I saw your post I knew that would be the response, most likely from LeeMajors.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

When introducing someone to SEC football should I push the Tennessee or LSU v Bama game? On one hand, beating the everloving hell out of Tennessee is a yearly tradition and it has a slight air of class about it. On the other, the LSU game is some raw rear end hate and the real deal football game. The Iron Bowl isn't an option since it's in West Georgia this year.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

E: And Opening Game Darlings Georgia State play Charlotte on Friday the 4th on ESPNU. At 3:30 PM because... reasons.

this is going to be the most interesting game all season and gently caress y'all if you disagree

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Warbird posted:

When introducing someone to SEC football should I push the Tennessee or LSU v Bama game? On one hand, beating the everloving hell out of Tennessee is a yearly tradition and it has a slight air of class about it. On the other, the LSU game is some raw rear end hate and the real deal football game. The Iron Bowl isn't an option since it's in West Georgia this year.

So it's going to be in-person? You may want some cupcake game as a primer because the Tennessee and LSU games are by all accounts, and I hate to use this word unironically, classless. A lot of people aren't going to be keen on drunken boors threatening to fight each other every 5 minutes.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Warbird posted:

Neither. Games in which Alabama wins are bad.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Warbird posted:

Did you seriously just say West Georgia? Something something UAT something something.

drat, have I missed football season.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

dude789 posted:

Neither. Games in which Alabama wins are bad.

so football in general is lousy then

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Raku posted:

so football in general is lousy then

No, there are lots of games where Alabama is not playing. Also there are games like this one and last year's Katy Perry game which were both very good.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Noticed a few weeks ago that we play the Citadel this year as our in-state cupcake we have to schedule. Weren't they the ones that tried to hurt Florida State players or somebody like that by diving at peoples knees last season?

If so, awesome.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jalleyfish posted:

Never thought the Naboo Starfighter would get enough love to be a logo for a team.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Jeremor posted:

Noticed a few weeks ago that we play the Citadel this year as our in-state cupcake we have to schedule. Weren't they the ones that tried to hurt Florida State players or somebody like that by diving at peoples knees last season?

If so, awesome.

seriously, there are a thousand FCS teams. why pay these assholes

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Jeremor posted:

Weren't they the ones that tried to hurt Florida State players or somebody like that by diving at peoples knees last season?

FSU has built an empire on naked aggression toward the vulnerable. The Citadel was just following their lead.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

FSU has built an empire on naked aggression toward the vulnerable. The Citadel was just following their lead.

following FSU's lead in anything is the football equivalent of sending Charles Manson a love letter

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

following FSU's lead in anything is the football equivalent of sending Charles Manson a love letter

I was 50/50 on whether to go with karmic retribution or follow the leader...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Raku posted:

seriously, there are a thousand FCS teams. why pay these assholes

you want the cred of being the FBS team that slays the FCS dragon (and then they punk your rear end because they're NDSU)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Gameday going to Wisconsin-Bama on Saturday, then OSU-VT on that Monday :getin:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Frinkahedron posted:

I rarely say this, but Go A Hokie

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Frinkahedron posted:

oohhhhh

they should start doing gameday every day there's a college football game

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

pillsburysoldier posted:

So it's going to be in-person? You may want some cupcake game as a primer because the Tennessee and LSU games are by all accounts, and I hate to use this word unironically, classless. A lot of people aren't going to be keen on drunken boors threatening to fight each other every 5 minutes.

So a cupcake school that isn't Tennessee then? :ocelot:
People tend to be a little less drunk and fight-y for the Vols. The corndoggers make things a hell of an interesting time when they show up though.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Warbird posted:

People tend to be a little less drunk and fight-y for the Vols. The corndoggers make things a hell of an interesting time when they show up though.

Honestly you should take them to the Ole Miss game

football means nothing without revenge

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

I think the coach gave some bullshit response saying that the player who said he was doing it deliberately would be dealt with, but then might have also said something about it not being against the rules.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
It'll be nice having the GameDay crew in Fort Worth again. The spot they've previously used in Sundance Square is two blocks from my office, where I can look down on the set from my 18th-story window.

Here's how it looked last year on the day before as they were getting everything set up.

As an Auburn fan, I didn't enjoy the influx of Florida State fans for GameDay last year, and it'll only get worse this year as the crimson tide washes in.

Regardless, college football is almost back and GameDay is comin' to my cit-ay! :derp:

Winsanity
May 14, 2015

Space magic is the best magic

Quandary posted:

It's about that time of the year where I start re-watching good OU games from previous years to try and survive. 2014 Sugar Bowl is on right now and drat is it enjoyable.

I still rewatch the Boise State game every year to remind me of what is probably gonna happen to us. (if not worse) :911:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Raku posted:

oohhhhh

they should start doing gameday every day there's a college football game

Welcome to Tuesday Night Gameday MACtion

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jalleyfish posted:

"Hey I finished that mockup of the new logo you guys asked for, what do you think?"
"Dude, it's literally just the rebel alliance symbol from Star Wars. We can't use that, Lucas would sue the poo poo out of us!"
"Ok what if I just italicized it and put some sweet flames behind it?"
"Yeah that's fine."

Well you're not tricking me Elon Phoenix University :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Warbird posted:

Lmao Alabama fans talk about other SEC fans as if they're the ones who poison trees and put their scrotums on people

Edit: to be fair though as an LSU fan it's been a while since I've been sober at a football game so there is some truth to the rowdiness

• Locked thread