Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

BillmasterCozb posted:

Pre-ordered the game for the PS4, can't wait to throw myself into the horrid glitchy mess that this game will probably be!

Can't be any worse than NV I mean Jesus nearly five full years since release I can still barely make it to 30 minutes without it CTDing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeLefts
Dec 27, 2012

This is hope

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JackBadass posted:

It should be on Steam sale at launch, given it's just an overglorified rental service.

I too am convinced that Valve is going to bottoms up in just a week.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I wonder if power armor being a vehicle type thing now will restrict what weapons you can use while wearing it. In the obviously scripted sequence from the videos we've seen the player is prompted to pick up a minigun from a fallen Vertibird to use after they get into the armor, maybe you can't use your 10mm pistol and stuff with giant metal hands.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

I wonder if power armor being a vehicle type thing now will restrict what weapons you can use while wearing it. In the obviously scripted sequence from the videos we've seen the player is prompted to pick up a minigun from a fallen Vertibird to use after they get into the armor, maybe you can't use your 10mm pistol and stuff with giant metal hands.

I think that would be an odd limitation to put on the system, especially in the light of how you can customize your power armor with various mods in the different slots (helmet, chest etc). The mod system suggests that you should be able to make the suit fit whatever build you are going for (Stealth power armor anyone?). We also know that laser/plasma weapons need Science at a certain level to use them, so I would be surprised if you couldn't find a mod for the power armor that increases Science somehow. In light of this, I would be surprised if they made the power armor only work with certain weapons, forcing you perhaps to choose between your custom uber-pistol and using the good armor.

The power armor can help you use weapons you normally couldn't, like giving you some extra points of strength to be able to use that minigun. F.inst the E3 demo showed, in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, that adding "Military Paint" to your torso will give you STR +1. No, I don't know how paint does that, but it does. I also didn't see anything in the weapon customization that suggests a "may be used with power armor" stat on weapons. If there was such a limitation, you'd think that they would put it in the interface, so you know if the gun you are making can be used in your power armor.

It make a certain sense that your big fumbling gauntlets may not be able to use small guns, but then again you are able to mod all guns, so I think it just assumed that you always enlarge the trigger and hilt to be able to use it with power armor.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Constant Hamprince posted:

Can't be any worse than NV I mean Jesus nearly five full years since release I can still barely make it to 30 minutes without it CTDing.
If you can still be bothered to try, you might give New Vegas Anti Crash a shot. Some dude basically fixed most of their dumb programming mistakes.

Pwnstar posted:

I want to be able to throw cars and Vertibirds and Deathclaws like some '80s brawler arcade game.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I want this game to come out so I can get my fallout fix. FO3/NV were great at the time but even now sifting through mods the glaringly old engine hurts my eyes and I can't stand it, not to mention dealing with all the weird mods and configuration gets old after a while.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

FronzelNeekburm posted:

If you can still be bothered to try, you might give New Vegas Anti Crash a shot. Some dude basically fixed most of their dumb programming mistakes.

I'm using NVAC, haven't noticed much of a difference. Maybe it's some mod. To be honest it's not that bad since I'm running the game off an SSD and both Fo3 and NV respond really well to that; load times are super fast. If I was still using a HDD I'd probably have given up by now.

E: I am a moron and haven't been launching the game from NVSE, maybe doing so will make a difference.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sylink posted:

I want this game to come out so I can get my fallout fix. FO3/NV were great at the time but even now sifting through mods the glaringly old engine hurts my eyes and I can't stand it, not to mention dealing with all the weird mods and configuration gets old after a while.

You could try just playing the game?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

That's what I did for like, the first 3 years. FNV came out loving forever ago. If we have to wait 5 years after fo4 for the next one, Bethesda HQ needs to be firebombed.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yes, Bethesda should learn from well known classics like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed and release a game every year with only small changes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
2 years is ok, 3 max, imo.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Rutibex posted:

The base games are ugly to my eyes at this point, personal preference.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sylink posted:

The base games are ugly to my eyes at this point, personal preference.

Then stop bitching when you make the game even less stable

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Volkerball posted:

That's what I did for like, the first 3 years. FNV came out loving forever ago. If we have to wait 5 years after fo4 for the next one, Bethesda HQ needs to be firebombed.

We're definitely getting a new elder scrolls before another Fallout so I'd say probably longer than 5 years for FO5.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The only mod I could never really use was that CASM (auto-save the game)for either FO3 or NV. . My games crashed with astonishing regularity until I removed it, then things got considerably more stable.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Christ if Fallout 3/New Vegas are too dated for that dude I hate to think what his opinion of Fallout 1 and 2 is.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

marktheando posted:

Christ if Fallout 3/New Vegas are too dated for that dude I hate to think what his opinion of Fallout 1 and 2 is.

That's not really comperable, 2D games have aged way better than 3D ones up to this point. Indie games till get made with art styles intentionally reminiscent of 2D consoles like the SNES and Genesis, but nobody's going to make a platformer that looks like a polygonal PS1 game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FO3 and NV are great games but they're definitely dated, especially if you play modern games like The Witcher 3.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

That's not really comperable, 2D games have aged way better than 3D ones up to this point. Indie games till get made with art styles intentionally reminiscent of 2D consoles like the SNES and Genesis, but nobody's going to make a platformer that looks like a polygonal PS1 game.

Thing is you could probably make a pretty scary loving game or DLC content using early 3d polygons. Like if the androids were more angular than they could give off a good uncanny valley vibe or going into early fallout style internet gave you lawnmower man style crazy AI, they could still have their place.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

People itt actually think consoles are going to have full mod support? Were you around when t Howard said that the oblivion AI was so good that NPCs would kill everything and go to war on their own so they needed to tone it down before release?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nobody's going to make a platformer that looks like a polygonal PS1 game.

Yeah except the most popular game in a generation, Minecraft. Not everyone is a graphics whore these days.

Bob NewSCART posted:

People itt actually think consoles are going to have full mod support? Were you around when t Howard said that the oblivion AI was so good that NPCs would kill everything and go to war on their own so they needed to tone it down before release?

I believe him. I also believe "full mod support" is going to be a much more limited mutator/map editor thing, and Bethesda isn't going to officially support more in-depth "realistic horse vaginas HD" texture mods.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Let's not believe anything.

Fallout 4 is not real, it will never be released.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

Yeah except the most popular game in a generation, Minecraft. Not everyone is a graphics whore these days.

Minecraft is supposed to be a lovely sandbox with no plot or anything. If you tried to add a story and first person combat and an immersive environment, it would be poo poo. It doesn't take itself seriously and you aren't supposed to take it serious either. You can't really compare it to games that actually attempt to have a point.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ThreeLefts posted:

This is hope

At the last minute, bethesda will do a one eighty and announce that it was going to be a WH40k RPG all along.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm fine with a Bethesda open world RPG every 5 years if they continue to improve upon them as they have been doing. Skyrim was a massive leap over Oblivion, and I'm hoping that trend continues.

FWIW, my gaming rig is broken at the moment so I've been playing NV: Ultimate Edition on a 360, and have only had like 4 or 5 crashes in about 40 hours of playtime. It's actually more stable then the last time I played in on the PC. Even in OWB, which crashed every other fast travel when I played it on the PC. I'm actually fairly surprised, given what I'd heard about the vanilla release version's bugginess.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bholder posted:

Let's not believe anything.

Fallout 4 is not real, it will never be released.

Fallout 4 is the code name for the new Duke Nukem Forever expansion.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mesadoram posted:

Fallout 4 is the code name for the new Duke Nukem Forever expansion.

Nah it's actually a code name for a dancing game featuring todd howard and chris roberts.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a codename for a good rear end game that will be released this fall.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Nah it's actually a code name for a dancing game featuring todd howard and chris roberts.

Day one purchase.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Rutibex posted:

Minecraft is an exception for polygonal games because it's heavily stylized because Notch's 3D modeling skill is limited to cubes. It looks better than old polygonal games because it uses colourful textures and deliberately simple polygons. Compare vanilla minecraft

with PlayStation graphical powerhouse Syphon Filter

Minecraft's meshes and textures are actually simpler than Syphon Filters', but it looks better because Minecraft is a cartoon whereas Syphon Filter attempts to imitate reality.

E: Arguin' about minecraft because this thread is

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Minecraft is an exception for polygonal games because it's heavily stylized because Notch's 3D modeling skill is limited to cubes. It looks better than old polygonal games because it uses colourful textures and deliberately simple polygons. Compare vanilla minecraft

with PlayStation graphical powerhouse Syphon Filter

Minecraft's meshes and textures are actually simpler than Syphon Filters', but it looks better because Minecraft is a cartoon whereas Syphon Filter attempts to imitate reality.

E: Arguin' about minecraft because this thread is

That balcony looks insufficiently supported, I doubt it can handle the weight of 20 drunk spring breakers and a couple foreign tourists.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's pc release is on the 1st of September and i can already tell it will be the only game to do a open world game style right

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I'm fine with a Bethesda open world RPG every 5 years if they continue to improve upon them as they have been doing. Skyrim was a massive leap over Oblivion, and I'm hoping that trend continues.

I wonder why they don't just contract Obsidian to do an annual/bi-annual New Vegas style release using the previous engine while they work on the next iteration. I'd take 2-3 New Vegas sized side stories over all the spotty DLC releases any day.

What is Obsidian doing these days anyway?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

NofrikinfuN posted:

I wonder why they don't just contract Obsidian to do an annual/bi-annual New Vegas style release using the previous engine while they work on the next iteration. I'd take 2-3 New Vegas sized side stories over all the spotty DLC releases any day.

Pillars of Eternity expansion and some weird Russian tank MMO, IIRC.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NofrikinfuN posted:

I would love it, but they probably don't want to dilute the franchise, or risk an especially bad / buggy release that turns people off. Still, here's hoping that they do a NV style game with this engine.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Pillars of Eternity expansion, Armored Warfare (an online tank game, contrary to popular belief it's their own game) and an unannounced game. They're also helping out on a MMORPG.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Paizo also has them slated to make a single-player Pathfinder game in the vein of Neverwinter Nights. Paizo recently tried to make an MMO themselves, and good golly it is a thing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

risk an especially bad / buggy release that turns people off.
Have you ever played a Bethesda game? We're talking about a studio that will cheerfully patch in obvious bugs like backwards flying dragons. A buggy release is not something Bethesda looses any sleep over.

And it's probably time again to point out that Bethesda did the QA work for New Vegas. And that while New Vegas certainly had a buggy launch, Fallout 3's launch was way worse. I mean you'd be lucky if Megaton had NPCs in it ( generally everyone would fall through the floor into the void).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raygereio posted:

Have you played ever a Bethesda game? We're talking about a studio that will cheerfully patch in obvious bugs like backwards flying dragons. A buggy release is not something Bethesda looses any sleep over.

And it's probably time again to point out that Bethesda did the QA work for New Vegas. And that while New Vegas certainly had a buggy launch, Fallout 3's launch was way worse. I mean you'd be lucky if Megaton had NPCs in it ( generally everyone would fall through the floor into the void).

We're talking about perception and marketing, which isn't necessarily (and possibly even mutually exclusive) to reality. Another way to say this is that Bethesda owns the Fallout IP and wants a high level of control over what is licensed to that IP. Their relative success at this on their end is open for debate (although I would say that despite their flaws as designers, they do a decent job at creating highly complicated do-everything systems that are extensible through a public mod kit).

• Locked thread