Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FistEnergy posted:

I encourage everyone who buys a Moto G to post a shot of the back. I'm having trouble deciding on color combinations because Moto Maker doesn't really show the texture pattern of the back cover.

http://imgur.com/1bBVEwF

Build options :

Memory - 16GB with 2GB RAM GB
Back - Blue
Front - White
Trim - Black

When I ordered there was some bug with the system that prevented me from buying one with a black front, however the white front I think looks better with this configuration.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How much longer should I expect an NIB S5 to last before slowing down drastically than an NIB LG G2? Trying to decide whether the extra $310 is worth it if I pay over 2 years. I don't play games, just browse the Internet, read the forums, and occasionally watch short videos.

Personally I wouldn't buy either phone at this point on some sort of payment plan. Both phones can be had for less than $200 used now. Or just get a NIB Moto G which will give similar performance for what you're looking for.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Lblitzer posted:

Personally I wouldn't buy either phone at this point on some sort of payment plan. Both phones can be had for less than $200 used now. Or just get a NIB Moto G which will give similar performance for what you're looking for.

I give a thumbs up to this suggestion. The G is a fantastic device, 99.9% pure Android and it runs very well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

http://imgur.com/1bBVEwF

Build options :

Memory - 16GB with 2GB RAM GB
Back - Blue
Front - White
Trim - Black

When I ordered there was some bug with the system that prevented me from buying one with a black front, however the white front I think looks better with this configuration.

It looks awesome. Shame that moto maker doesn't work in Spain, I just sold my S4 and I'm looking for something newer than my Lumia 925 (wich will probably be replaced by another lumia :v:).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone using the ZenFone 2 with 4GB of RAM? Curious how the performance is and whether the Intel processor is much different than an ARM chip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lblitzer posted:

Or just get a NIB Moto G which will give similar performance for what you're looking for.

Seriously, this is the right answer. If you just want a basic smartphone now (and aren't on Verizon) there's little reason to spend any more than $220. Just get a Moto G.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Just make sure you get the model with 2GB RAM!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Re: Zenfone

From the reviews I've read, I think the processor doesn't make a huge difference and most people are better off with the base model. They both seem to have battery life issues though, plus poor build quality/buttons and a ton of unremovable bloatware. Basically it's a phone this thread would have loved in 2013, when checking spec boxes was all that mattered. Now I think more Android consumers are paying attention to the software experience and holistic execution, ala Apple.

Thus, buy the Moto G and don't worry about benchmarks. A few of our regular posters were ahead of the curve on this, but I think it's becoming more widespread thanks to high-profile missteps in various hardware/software aspects by Samsung, LG, OneTouch, and many of the budget device makers.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 3, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Seriously, this is the right answer. If you just want a basic smartphone now (and aren't on Verizon) there's little reason to spend any more than $220. Just get a Moto G.

My daily driver is a 6 Plus right now and I am liking the G over it. "Basic" is a different meaning with this device. While it is missing stuff like a fingerprint scanner and higher res screen, it's an amazing little device.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
My Moto G just came this morning. Really liking it, all black with champagne highlights looks slick as gently caress, would recommend. One of the reviews I read said that the textured back was uncomfortable to hold? I would definitely disagree. It's very comfortable to easy to use with one hand, and I don't even feel like I need a case for this thing. Like, if I dropped it, it would be a-ok. Camera doesn't stick out like a billion inches from the back of the phone, either, which I really like.

Took a low-light picture of my cat with the Note 4, then the Moto G, and I literally cannot tell the difference.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Daily Forecast posted:

One of the reviews I read said that the textured back was uncomfortable to hold?

:stare:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Where are you finding an S5 for $200?

I need WiFi calling, so Motorola is out. No reception at work or at home.

E: oh, you said used for under 200. I was looking at buying a G2 outright for $220,not on a plan. I'm still not seeing a $200 S5

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 3, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Also: earlier on the thread, one of the things I worried about was lack of support for larger SD cards, can confirm that the Moto G 3rd gen can use a 128gb just fine. It asked to format and wipe it, but whatever, that's cool.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I give a thumbs up to this suggestion. The G is a fantastic device, 99.9% pure Android and it runs very well.

I cannot recall, does this version of the Moto G have active notifications? Is the camera passable? I envy all the great shots my wife takes with her iPhone 6.

Daily Forecast posted:

Also: earlier on the thread, one of the things I worried about was lack of support for larger SD cards, can confirm that the Moto G 3rd gen can use a 128gb just fine. It asked to format and wipe it, but whatever, that's cool.

The cap that they list is because they do not have a certain license required to say that they support 128gb. It's not a technical limitation.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody have any recommendations for an armband for a '14 Moto X?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Where are you finding an S5 for $200?

I need WiFi calling, so Motorola is out. No reception at work or at home.

E: oh, you said used for under 200. I was looking at buying a G2 outright for $220,not on a plan. I'm still not seeing a $200 S5

For some reason I thought you said N5. You can find S5s for under $300 now used. I've seen G2s go for as low as like $140.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It does have active notifications.

TraderStav posted:

Is the camera passable? I envy all the great shots my wife takes with her iPhone 6.

This is an extremely low light picture, my Note 4 did not do any better. Jasper was also moving at the time which explains the blurriness.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

It does have active notifications.

This is an extremely low light picture, my Note 4 did not do any better. Jasper was also moving at the time which explains the blurriness.

Take one with good light. Poor Jasper is being lost in the low light. Have him frolic in that forest behind you for a bit.

I'm so fed up with the Z3c audio issues and despite how great it is I may pick up a 2GB G to see how that works for me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Ah yes, catte pictures. The true measure of a camera.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

My apartment just does NOT have good lightning at all, which is only a problem when I'm trying to take pictures of my cats :smith:

I then, however, went out on my balcony and took a picture of the trees behind my apartment, and it came out loving gorgeous.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

grack posted:

Ah yes, catte pictures. The true measure of a camera.

I give that photo about 2/5 cattes. Not that great of a shot. If the camera does well enough in good lighting and the battery isn't terrible it may hold me until my ideal phone is released (never).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

4/5 cattes (5/5 cat)

quote:

4.5/5 cattes

That second picture is pretty great. That could do very well. Too early to tell on the battery?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TraderStav posted:

Too early to tell on the battery?

Yeah. Seems okay. It drained a lot (about 4%) when I was updating the fuckmillion apps for the first time but I think that's pretty typical? But just using it and installing all of my stupid fart apps, it seems to be doing well.

Gonna give it a full charge and take it to work tonight. I'll give a report when I get home.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

Yeah. Seems okay. It drained a lot (about 4%) when I was updating the fuckmillion apps for the first time but I think that's pretty typical? But just using it and installing all of my stupid fart apps, it seems to be doing well.

Gonna give it a full charge and take it to work tonight. I'll give a report when I get home.

I think you even need a few days. Every time I factory reset an android device (including the 360) battery life sucked for a solid 5 days.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I was getting interested in switching to this new one plus 2 dankness but then I find out you need some lovely pyramid scheme referral garbage. Is there a thread for that? Is it even a real phone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

#NeverSettle on a OnePlus.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

zolthorg posted:

I was getting interested in switching to this new one plus 2 dankness but then I find out you need some lovely pyramid scheme referral garbage. Is there a thread for that? Is it even a real phone?

Do not buy a OnePlus device.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Has anyone got a trip report of the Galaxy S6 4 months in? My dad is considering getting one when he's due an upgrade at the end of September. He is currently on the 5S, and is ready for a change. Main thing he'll be looking for is nice smooth performance and better battery life.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

#NeverSettle on a OnePlus.

Not only this but their (I believe) CEO told people to settle with their phone when talking about the decision to omit NFC from it. Like, the the OPO isn't a terrible phone especially if you get one cheap but the company has just made so many bizarre decisions overall that you are most definitely settling if you get one, especially off a wait list.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone got a trip report of the Galaxy S6 4 months in? My dad is considering getting one when he's due an upgrade at the end of September. He is currently on the 5S, and is ready for a change. Main thing he'll be looking for is nice smooth performance and better battery life.

New iPhones will be out in September, mind.

Does he really want to switch to Android? Do you really want to support his switch to Android?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

Not only this but their (I believe) CEO told people to settle with their phone when talking about the decision to omit NFC from it. Like, the the OPO isn't a terrible phone especially if you get one cheap but the company has just made so many bizarre decisions overall that you are most definitely settling if you get one, especially off a wait list.

But what has actually been omitted from the phone? NFC and NFCwallet apps do nothing for me. I have my own vehicle, rent, rarely use air/public travel options and carry my actual payment cards in my actual wallet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Z5/Z5c shots leaked. Looks like a fingerprint scanner on the right side of the phone, boning all left-handed phone users:

https://twitter.com/vizileaks/status/628208495758852096/photo/1

Here are some other rumors stolen shamelessly from a reddit thread:

Fingerprint sensor on the side
Both phones will have SD 810, based on UAProfile (check xb). Might be a deal breaker for some, but I don't see Sony having any other choice
Ultra code leaked earlier this year, so there could be a later release of the larger version
Capless USB and headphone jack. Second hole on the bottom that you see on the picture is a lanyard hole, not a headphone jack
New 23 MP shooter based on wei bo rumors
Also from UAProfiles - 720p for Compact and 1080p for normal version. September 2nd is when we will know whether those are true or not.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

zolthorg posted:

But what has actually been omitted from the phone? NFC and NFCwallet apps do nothing for me. I have my own vehicle, rent, rarely use air/public travel options and carry my actual payment cards in my actual wallet.

I couldn't care less at this point because of how hilarious the company has handled just about everything and how they throw their hands up and say "Well most people don't use it so nope, we won't include it!" especially considering mid-range phones are starting to carry it and how cheap it is to include.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

zolthorg posted:

Just get the new Moto x when it comes out, if that's in your price range.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TraderStav posted:

Z5/Z5c shots leaked. Looks like a fingerprint scanner on the right side of the phone, boning all left-handed phone users:

If you're not right-handed, you're wrong.
:smug:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Agreed, I would love the right handed fingerprint reader. Someone recently convinced me that a Smart Watch is a better solution to the fingerprint reader though. I liked that idea.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Hughmoris posted:

I'm right handed but I primarily use my left hand to hold my phone. Please advise.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It doesn't matter what handed-ness you are when you use the phone, only that you pull it out with your right hand.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rastor posted:

It doesn't matter what handed-ness you are when you use the phone, only that you pull it out with your right hand.

Instructions unclear, phone is in my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rastor posted:

I store my phone in my left pocket.

Am I wrong?

No, it is the children who are wrong.