Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and sympathy (and sorry for not coming back sooner - deadlines are brutal). After taking my own research back to my doctor, for the next few months I'm trying sertraline (Zoloft) at a low dose from ovulation to the start of my cycle, plus vitamin D and calcium. Obviously my irregular periods make timing things a little difficult but I'm hopeful.

Tigntink posted:

In live in WA so when it comes to uterus pain and shittiness involved with it, my doctors have been very pro weed. Sadly everyone is very different and honestly it does sound like pmdd which there's a few hormonals that sometimes help with it but if they make it worse than that is no good.

Weed helps A LOT tbh. I'm laughing now because if it ever gets legalized here in the UK the NHS will find a way to create an incomprehensible "unit" system to measure your intake.

The only hormonal birth control I never had problems with was Yaz/Yasmin which is apparently also used as treatment for PMDD, but after I moved to the UK I was never able to convince a doctor to prescribe it to me (costs more than the ones they prefer to prescribe), and now my doctor said they're even less eager to prescribe it due to the recent lawsuits.

Zantie posted:

Is there any way you could get the IUD removed to see if anything improves? After nine months I'd assume any symptom you'd outgrow would've started getting better by now, and if removing it doesn't resolve your symptoms, then at the very least you've answered that question.

And that's the next step if this doesn't help, but I'd really like to avoid it because I guess all that's left if it is (somehow) to do with the IUD is just to rely on condoms. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Kimmalah posted:

I still have 1-2 days that can be a bit of a bloodbath, but it's definitely gotten better. And the cramps were bad at first, but now they're pretty much gone. It seemed to turnaround for me at about the 6 month mark (and that's what I've heard from a lot of people). I've had the IUD for about 2 years, just for reference.

Even at the worst, usually ibuprofen and/or a heating pad would be enough to deal with it. I also invested in some dark underwear so if I did have minor leaks it wasn't the end of the world. :v:

Okay, that's good. Did your periods go on for longer than normal, or were they just heavier?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a good friend with Paragard and she swears by Vitamin E supplements to help with cramping and flow.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

cash crab posted:

Okay, that's good. Did your periods go on for longer than normal, or were they just heavier?

Mostly just heavier. They last about the same length of time (6-7 days), except now I'll sometimes have a few days of spotting towards the end sometimes. I was also on the pill for 4 years before the IUD, so it's also possible my body just decided to change somewhere along the way.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Kimmalah posted:

I still have 1-2 days that can be a bit of a bloodbath, but it's definitely gotten better. And the cramps were bad at first, but now they're pretty much gone. It seemed to turnaround for me at about the 6 month mark (and that's what I've heard from a lot of people). I've had the IUD for about 2 years, just for reference.

Even at the worst, usually ibuprofen and/or a heating pad would be enough to deal with it. I also invested in some dark underwear so if I did have minor leaks it wasn't the end of the world. :v:

Just pretend you're reading this for a second time, because this is basically my experience, as well. I've had my IUD for almost 2 years and at this point I can fill up a super plus tampon like nobody's business for a few days a month but otherwise it's leveled out a whole lot. The first ~2 days of my period are super light and spotty (like I can wear just a liner light) and then it's like I got stabbed in the vagina for a couple of days and then it slows down for another day or so, which is worth it for the pros of not being on hormonal birth control.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

Just pretend you're reading this for a second time, because this is basically my experience, as well. I've had my IUD for almost 2 years and at this point I can fill up a super plus tampon like nobody's business for a few days a month but otherwise it's leveled out a whole lot. The first ~2 days of my period are super light and spotty (like I can wear just a liner light) and then it's like I got stabbed in the vagina for a couple of days and then it slows down for another day or so, which is worth it for the pros of not being on hormonal birth control.

I don't know about you, but I also get a weird break in my period. So usually there will be one day in the middle where I just don't really bleed or just have some spotting before it starts back up again the next day. I don't know what causes it, but it's kind of nice sometimes. :shrug:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know about you, but I also get a weird break in my period. So usually there will be one day in the middle where I just don't really bleed or just have some spotting before it starts back up again the next day. I don't know what causes it, but it's kind of nice sometimes. :shrug:

I've always gotten this. It's so, so weird.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input. Very excited!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

I've always gotten this. It's so, so weird.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input. Very excited!

Mine didn't start until I got the IUD, but this may also be one of those "you're getting older" things. I also forgot to mention that you might get cramps during ovulation if you don't already. I don't so much anymore, but it used to happen some months.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I stopped getting the weird "period intermission" at like... 23? Maybe? Also, thanks for the warning. I don't think I do, but my body is generally sort of a minefield of random aches and pains anyway, so just toss it in the pile, I guess.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
I take back most of the nice things I have said about the Skyla now. Someone please take this thing out of me. My "period" (mostly just irregular spotting every 6-8 weeks) started back in October after being absent since March and now Every. Single. Time. I start to bleed I get a nasty yeast infection. My gyno at my check-up dismissed me bringing it up and said it was just a coincidence. Yes, I'm sure that going from no problems ever to problems every other month-ish starting and coinciding with my period after I've gotten this implant is a total fluke. Oh wait no.

Has anyone else had problems with this? Did it go away if you got your IUD removed? I really like it otherwise but goddamn, I'm miserable for a week or so on top of the random spotting. I just want someone to fix me for good so I can be free of baby terror forever, is that so much to ask for?

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Hello internet ladies!

I had a mirena inserted about 2 months ago. The insertion was painful and I had hella cramps for the first month or so. I wanted a paragard, but my gyno was insistent that I get a mirena because I have pretty bad cramps. She was generally awful and I'm going to find a new doctor.

ANYWAY, have any of you had an experience where mirena made you crazy? I generally pride myself on being pretty level headed and reasonable most of the time, but since I've had it, I've been super extra lethargic and apathetic on top of being VERY jealous/paranoid about boyfriend (which is absurd and totally unwarranted - he's the first guy i've dated in years; I thought I was ladies only, haha), feeling extra crazy about my body, etc. I was almost never this bad before. This is the second time I've had a mirena - the first time, I was 18-22 (I'm currently 25). I had the jealousy/body issues then as well, which I'd retrospectively attributed to being young and stupid. Since then, I felt like I'd made a lot of progress on myself, so having these feelings come back so strongly so quickly seems... abnormal, and very distressing.

On top of that, I've basically had either BV or a yeast infection at all times since insertion. That's certainly not done much to quell all the bonus feelings lately, either... has anyone else experienced this? Additionally, I low-key feel like I have to pee all the time. I've checked 909434 times for a UTI, but nothing has ever shown up.

I super don't want any babies ever and would sell my uterus to someone who needed it in a second, if I could. Now I'm paranoid that mirena is making me crazy and breaking my vagina and i'll never get to have normal sex with my boyfriend ever again and he'll leave me for some tiny girl who has a normally functioning vag and and and and and and :( (yes, I know how ridiculous I sound, damnit :()

please halp, internet!!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Explosions! posted:

I take back most of the nice things I have said about the Skyla now. Someone please take this thing out of me. My "period" (mostly just irregular spotting every 6-8 weeks) started back in October after being absent since March and now Every. Single. Time. I start to bleed I get a nasty yeast infection. My gyno at my check-up dismissed me bringing it up and said it was just a coincidence. Yes, I'm sure that going from no problems ever to problems every other month-ish starting and coinciding with my period after I've gotten this implant is a total fluke. Oh wait no.

Has anyone else had problems with this? Did it go away if you got your IUD removed? I really like it otherwise but goddamn, I'm miserable for a week or so on top of the random spotting. I just want someone to fix me for good so I can be free of baby terror forever, is that so much to ask for?

Not Skyla, but I know when I was on the pill I basically had a yeast infection at least once or twice a month, usually before or after my period. Or sex, or just for no apparent reason. It stopped once I got off the hormones, so now I'm back to my usual once or twice a year (thanks to my stupid sensitive skin).

akulol posted:

I super don't want any babies ever and would sell my uterus to someone who needed it in a second, if I could. Now I'm paranoid that mirena is making me crazy and breaking my vagina and i'll never get to have normal sex with my boyfriend ever again and he'll leave me for some tiny girl who has a normally functioning vag and and and and and and :( (yes, I know how ridiculous I sound, damnit :()

please halp, internet!!

For whatever it's worth sometimes when I'm really moody with PMS, jealousy and insecurity about my relationship comes along with it. Then of course the next week is all "What was I thinking?" It's kind of gotten to the point where I really make an effort to stop myself and wait lest I say something really dumb that I regret. :v: So yes, I think it's possible that maybe Mirena's hormones could be a factor but that's my completely (not-an-expert) opinion.

I know for a few months after I got my Paragard I definitely felt like I had to pee more often, but it's possible I was just focusing so much on my pelvic area that I was more aware of my bladder in general. It went away after a few months. Having BV also seems to make me pee a lot for whatever reason and creams for yeast infections (like Monistat, etc.) also give me that sensation.

It might be time to step up the search for a new doctor and see what they advise. If you want the Mirena out to switch to another birth control method, don't be afraid to be a little insistent about it yourself. I've learned from experience that you really have to advocate for yourself hard sometimes with doctors.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Not Skyla, but I know when I was on the pill I basically had a yeast infection at least once or twice a month, usually before or after my period. Or sex, or just for no apparent reason. It stopped once I got off the hormones, so now I'm back to my usual once or twice a year (thanks to my stupid sensitive skin).

I hope mine goes back to normal too. Looks like it's time to seriously start the hunt for a tubal since I have my own health insurance for the first time ever. Anyone had any luck in/around Kentucky getting one when you're under 30?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Explosions! posted:

I hope mine goes back to normal too. Looks like it's time to seriously start the hunt for a tubal since I have my own health insurance for the first time ever. Anyone had any luck in/around Kentucky getting one when you're under 30?

I 'll let you know! I'm in central Kentucky and about to ask for a tubal next week. The lady on the phone didn't make it sound like it would be much of an issue, but I'm older (29) and a new patient so they don't know I don't have kids yet. :ohdear:

What I can tell you for sure is that due to our stupid state laws, you have a 30 day waiting period to look forward to once you fill out the consent forms.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Uhh, I just got off the phone with a consult for Sept 11th, IUD removal the 15th and tubal tentatively on the 18th (also a new patient and they also don't know that I haven't had kids and I don't think the woman noticed that I'm 26)... I am going to a sketchy back alley place or something?? Are they going to steal my kidneys while I'm under??

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Explosions! posted:

Uhh, I just got off the phone with a consult for Sept 11th, IUD removal the 15th and tubal tentatively on the 18th (also a new patient and they also don't know that I haven't had kids and I don't think the woman noticed that I'm 26)... I am going to a sketchy back alley place or something?? Are they going to steal my kidneys while I'm under??

It might be because I'm on state health insurance, but the consent paperwork I saw kind of made it sound like it was something everyone had to do. Even if that's not the case I also think it's a little weird that they would go on and schedule a surgery over the phone without ever seeing you first. :raise:

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 13, 2015

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
In talking with my doctor at my salpingectomy follow up yesterday, most (if not all, I can't remember exactly what she said) states require a 30 day wait period after signing the consent forms for tubals. My wait between consult/signing of forms was under 30 days, however. Kind of strange for them to already schedule the tubal before even seeing you. Regardless, make sure to load up on ibuprofen before the IUD removal. My removal was pretty rough and I imagine it would have been worse had I not taken 4 advils an hour before.

Found out at my follow up that my rear end in a top hat belly button is infected. Was prescribed Keflex. I feel like rear end today, hopefully just from the pills and not because I'm slowly dying from an infection. :( Everything else is A-OK which I'm happy about. My doc said it was the easiest salpinectomy she's performed in a few years and she was able to completely remove the tubes. So happy about everything minus rear end in a top hat belly button.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Just for anyone wondering, I had my appointment yesterday. I talked to a nurse-practitioner (since it was faster to get in and I was getting a yearly pap too anyway). She acted like it was extremely strange that I wanted to be sterilized with no kids, but basically just said "well you are an adult." So I'm scheduled for September 24.

The only thing I found kind of weird was she was pretty insistent that they could only do a method with clips since I wasn't immediately post-partum (and therefore my uterus/tubes wouldn't be very big). Which is something I have never ever heard of in my research and I can hopefully discuss with the surgeon beforehand.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't even think they used clips anymore.

That's what they used on my mom in 1984. And one came loose in 1992...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

I didn't even think they used clips anymore.

That's what they used on my mom in 1984. And one came loose in 1992...

From what I can tell there are different kinds. Hulka clips (that apparently aren't so great and fell out of favor) and Filshie clips, which from what I can find actually work really well at sterilizing you since they eventually cause the tubes to separate, but can also come loose/migrate years down the line.

But this lady was a nurse-practitioner that I went to just to get the paperwork filled out, so hopefully I'll eventually be able to sit down with the actual surgeon.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I got my Mirena placed yesterday. It hurt like absolutely, soul destroying balls for about five seconds, then was over in less time than it takes to get a Pap. My gynecologist is awesome! I'm still having a bit of cramping when I move around, but it's a walk in the loving park compared to what my periods are normally like.

Which brings me to my question. I have endometriosis and have been taking Visanne (progesterone based treatment) for the last 18 months. It's mostly worked fantastically, but in the last 3 months my hormones have rebelled and started giving me hell periods again after a year and half of no period awesome time. I'm now supposed to keep taking the Visanne on top of the Mirena. Has anyone else done double hormones like this? Am I going to go crazy?

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
TL;DR: Is it normal to develop new side effects with a birth control pill you've tolerated well for years? Or am I just nuts? (I've tried googling this but all I can find is horror story websites with titles like "Just say no to birth control pills" and "What you don't know could hurt you".)

Backstory: I've been on Yasmin for ~9 years; I started when I was 19. I experienced no negative side effects and did have a few positive ones (no acne, that kind of thing). For the past ~5 years I've been taking the placebo week every 4 packs or so, and have around 5 periods a year depending on whether or not I get breakthrough bleeding or need to avoid having a period on vacation, etc. Sept 2013 my NP convinced me to try a different pill (Nordette) against my strong protestations. I hated it and switched briefly to Orthocyclen in March 2014 which I disliked even more, and was back on Yasmin by May 2014.

Current problem: Since then, things haven't great for me emotionally. I have severe mood swings, fight with my boyfriend over nothing, and my anxiety, which I'd gotten under control after years of therapy, is getting worse again. I also cry at the drop of a hat, which isn't something I used to do. I'm getting spotting/breakthrough bleeding more frequently as well and my periods, which used to be very predictable in timing and flow, seem to be different every time. Once I realized this, I paid attention to my mood during the placebo week, and it's like flipping a switch: I'm not crying at things I would otherwise cry at, and events that would provoke a fight or anxiety attack I can manage effectively with the coping mechanisms I learned in therapy. For a week I feel like myself again...and then it's back to this crybaby angsty version of me.

Questions:
(1) Could this be actually a new side effect of the Yasmin? I particularly wonder if the 7 month Nordette/Orthocyclen interlude somehow affected my body chemistry so that I react to the Yasmin differently now.

(2) If I decide to stop the Yasmin, what should I do instead? Given that I had bad experiences with other bc pills, I'm loathe to switch to another one (although that is what the NP will inevitably suggest, as she will jump at any chance to get me off the Yasmin again). I'm in my final year of grad school and do not have the time or energy to go through 3 month trials of one pill after another. Also, I originally went on the pill to control painful/heavy periods; they thought I was possibly getting ovarian cysts but didn't see evidence after the fact on an ultrasound. I've considered changing to an IUD, but ruled out the copper one due to the heavy bleeding. The much lower hormonal dose of the Skyla is appealing to me, but on the other hand it might not be the best given the reasons why I went on the pill on the first place. But on the other other hand...that was when I was 19 and my body is probably pretty different hormone-wise now that I'm 28. I'm also not thrilled about going back to having a period every month whose timing I can't control (not to mention the 3-6 months of irregular bleeding first).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I'm not sure about the pill side-effects, but something like Skyla or Mirena isn't going to make your bleeding heavier or more painful. Irregularity could still be an issue, but then your periods will generally get lighter or possibly even stop altogether.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've heard that you might experience new side effects (or lack of previous side effects) if you stop taking birth control or switch birth control and then go back. That doesn't really help you but you're (probably) not crazy.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I feel like the psychological effects that birth control can have on you is extremely downplayed and under-researched... and usually (by not-great doctors) waved off as not being an issue. You're altering your body chemistry when you take anything hormonal so I really feel like it can cause side effects like these. My mood and personality have also changed a lot since I started Seasonique, so now that I've switched, I'm hoping to start to feel more normal again.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Urban Wizard posted:

I feel like the psychological effects that birth control can have on you is extremely downplayed and under-researched... and usually (by not-great doctors) waved off as not being an issue. You're altering your body chemistry when you take anything hormonal so I really feel like it can cause side effects like these. My mood and personality have also changed a lot since I started Seasonique, so now that I've switched, I'm hoping to start to feel more normal again.

I definitely had way fewer mood swings on the pill and my PMS basically disappeared. But over time that turned into a constant "flat" feeling that was pretty depressing and demotivating. It reminded me a lot of how I felt on SSRIs actually.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the first birth control pill I tried made me suicidally depressed after a few months
I have mental health issues off it too, but never that bad
thankfully when I told the nurse who prescribed my pills, she nodded and wrote me a prescription for something else that didn't do that so it didn't turn out as bad as it could have

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Just for anyone wondering, I had my appointment yesterday. I talked to a nurse-practitioner (since it was faster to get in and I was getting a yearly pap too anyway). She acted like it was extremely strange that I wanted to be sterilized with no kids, but basically just said "well you are an adult." So I'm scheduled for September 24.

Awesome for you! I'm glad they don't seem to be giving you any trouble so far.

Question for people who have already been through a tubal: how long did it take you to get back to work? Everything I'm reading says 1-3 days but I do a pretty physical job with a lot of twisting. I'm scheduled for a Friday surgery, will I hate myself trying to go back Tuesday?

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Explosions! posted:

Question for people who have already been through a tubal: how long did it take you to get back to work? Everything I'm reading says 1-3 days but I do a pretty physical job with a lot of twisting. I'm scheduled for a Friday surgery, will I hate myself trying to go back Tuesday?
I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to my office job on Tuesday. I was ok but nowhere near 100%. Like any surgery, it depends on your body as to how fast you bounce back. I think me being a little older made my recovery a little longer compared to all the stuff I read online. I also had a full removal of tubes which is a little more involved. All that said, listen to your body. If you're not ready to go back on Tuesday, don't! You don't want to do anything that will disrupt the healing process. Good luck!

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Thanks for the assurances I'm (probably) not crazy. I'm due for my yearly exam soon, so I will bring it up with the NP then. She's brushed off other "minor" side effects before (when I was dealing with the Nordette/Orthocyclen misery) so I was kind of hesitant to suggest that something as nebulous as mood changes could be caused by the pill. But it sounds like it's a known possibility, even after being on it for years, so hopefully she won't go "oh, you're a stressed out grad student" and dismiss it.

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not sure about the pill side-effects, but something like Skyla or Mirena isn't going to make your bleeding heavier or more painful. Irregularity could still be an issue, but then your periods will generally get lighter or possibly even stop altogether.

I'm mostly concerned not that the IUD would cause heavy or painful bleeding so much as that without the pill, I'd initially return to my old baseline periods, which were really awful. Also, I have that suspected history of cysts (which is why I went on the pill) and the hormonal IUD is associated with causing(?) them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Robo Kitty posted:

Thanks for the assurances I'm (probably) not crazy. I'm due for my yearly exam soon, so I will bring it up with the NP then. She's brushed off other "minor" side effects before (when I was dealing with the Nordette/Orthocyclen misery) so I was kind of hesitant to suggest that something as nebulous as mood changes could be caused by the pill. But it sounds like it's a known possibility, even after being on it for years, so hopefully she won't go "oh, you're a stressed out grad student" and dismiss it.

I'm mostly concerned not that the IUD would cause heavy or painful bleeding so much as that without the pill, I'd initially return to my old baseline periods, which were really awful. Also, I have that suspected history of cysts (which is why I went on the pill) and the hormonal IUD is associated with causing(?) them.

Most people's periods get lighter or just stop with the hormonal IUDs, but I don't know if there's and in-between period where they might get worse. And then there's still the irregularity and cysts like you mentioned.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Explosions! posted:

I had a physical job at the time and took a week off and was glad for it. I'd not suggest less than 5 days. 5 days in addition to Friday.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Urban Wizard posted:

:allears: My favourite was when I said that the minipill was causing serious psychiatric issues in me and I was told it doesn't cause depression, only "mood changes".

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Urban Wizard posted:

I agree. I sent my endocrinologist a long, detailed message about how I felt like mirena was loving with my affect significantly and that a bunch of my friends have noticed the difference. the time aligns right up with when I got it. All she said was "it's your body adjusting to the new hormones, just wait it out". I feel like I'm spiraling, and I'm reasonably certain it's from the iud. I have to teach in the fall and I'm afraid I'll explode before then :( hopefully this doctor I'm going to on the 16th is more amenable to this. Either way, I'm going to demand she pull it out.
Having sex with boys is so dumb, ugh.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Ugh... yeah. This is something that really bothers me and to be honest I feel like we don't know that much more about these things than we did when these things first came out. Like woo, now you PROBABLY won't gain tons of weight like the pill used to do, but enjoy your weird and indescribable psychological changes that a lot of doctors aren't willing to associate with your BC method. It is really difficult to convince yourself that the psychological problems are exacerbated or caused by the BC method even if the timing matches up perfectly and you KNOW you don't feel the same way you used to. Luckily when I had my first meeting with my new doctor, she just nodded when I told her about my disturbingly flat, apathetic mood and told me it was time to switch. I'm hoping that I either improve, or she's willing to discuss it with me in detail if it continues to be a problem. I hope you guys have better luck too. :ohdear:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Urban Wizard posted:

Ugh... yeah. This is something that really bothers me and to be honest I feel like we don't know that much more about these things than we did when these things first came out. Like woo, now you PROBABLY won't gain tons of weight like the pill used to do, but enjoy your weird and indescribable psychological changes that a lot of doctors aren't willing to associate with your BC method. It is really difficult to convince yourself that the psychological problems are exacerbated or caused by the BC method even if the timing matches up perfectly and you KNOW you don't feel the same way you used to. Luckily when I had my first meeting with my new doctor, she just nodded when I told her about my disturbingly flat, apathetic mood and told me it was time to switch. I'm hoping that I either improve, or she's willing to discuss it with me in detail if it continues to be a problem. I hope you guys have better luck too. :ohdear:

:buddy: I'm getting a non-hormonal IUD on Monday! I'm completely sick of hormones. Until I can convince the boy to get snipped, it's copper all the way.

My "mood changes" lasted the entire time I was on the minipill. About four days later, I felt a little better, and it's been getting easier since then. I've only been off it since maybe June or July. I just personally don't do well on any medication, no matter what. Some people, however, have said their moods have leveled out, but if it's becoming a problem, I'd say discontinue it. It's not worth it.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

cash crab posted:

:buddy: I'm getting a non-hormonal IUD on Monday! I'm completely sick of hormones. Until I can convince the boy to get snipped, it's copper all the way.

My "mood changes" lasted the entire time I was on the minipill. About four days later, I felt a little better, and it's been getting easier since then. I've only been off it since maybe June or July. I just personally don't do well on any medication, no matter what. Some people, however, have said their moods have leveled out, but if it's becoming a problem, I'd say discontinue it. It's not worth it.

At this point I don't really have an option but to keep giving it a chance because I have endometriosis, and that's the only reason I take BC - not for fun reasons like you aha. I just started BC last year and am only now trying my second type of pill, because it does help with the endo symptoms. Hopefully what I'm trying now does help alleviate the mental weirdness. Good for you though! :dance:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Urban Wizard posted:

because I have endometriosis,

Are you a candidate for NovaSure?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Geolicious posted:

Are you a candidate for NovaSure?

NovaSure is a technique of endometrial ablation with the aim of burning off the endometrial tissue inside the uterus. Endometriosis is when there is endometrial tissue outside the uterus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Blargh. That's right.

Stupid uteruses. loving up poo poo all over.

• Locked thread