Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
For number two I had to plan in advance. Inadequate sanitation is an enormous quality of life problem globally. The most popular toilet in the world is no toilet at all as 4 in 10 people in the world defecate in the open. Flush toilets use enormous quantities of water so I needed a way to make it unnecessary.

Feces are almost entirely deceased gut bacteria and water. I massacred my gut bacteria the day before by consuming a DIY Soylent version with no fiber and taking 500mg of Rifaximin, an antibiotic with poor bioavailability, meaning it stays in your gut and kills bacteria. Soylent’s microbiome consultant advised that this is a terrible idea so I do not recommend it. However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
bitcoiners have a better grasp of externalities than this man

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

For number two I had to plan in advance. Inadequate sanitation is an enormous quality of life problem globally. The most popular toilet in the world is no toilet at all as 4 in 10 people in the world defecate in the open. Flush toilets use enormous quantities of water so I needed a way to make it unnecessary.

Feces are almost entirely deceased gut bacteria and water. I massacred my gut bacteria the day before by consuming a DIY Soylent version with no fiber and taking 500mg of Rifaximin, an antibiotic with poor bioavailability, meaning it stays in your gut and kills bacteria. Soylent’s microbiome consultant advised that this is a terrible idea so I do not recommend it. However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

is he dead now?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pretty sure we're just watching dude lose his mind slowly, it's like louis wain but with boring self-righteous blog posts instead of rad psychedelic cat paintings

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

holy gently caress I thought you guys were making poo poo up with the never washing clothes and everything after that

lmao forever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he loves trains too

because of course he does

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The other day I realized there was something missing in my life, so I set out to find a solution. Online dating is in vogue, which makes sense. The internet already has no small part in satisfying most of my other needs. I was pleased to learn that the latest popular dating app, Tinder, now has an Android client. Besides forcing me to reactivate my Facebook account it seems simple enough. Unfortunately, I quickly realized that this was going to turn in to a massive time sink. Perhaps, I thought, I could optimize it?

At 09:07 in the morning an Uber is automatically called for the female and 3 days later she will receive a heartfelt e-card / receipt. The algorithm will also wish her happy birthday on Facebook and like the top 20% of her Instagram photos as they are posted and start getting a lot of other likes. This continues until her Facebook relationship status switches away from single.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quit posting dystopian science fiction writing prompts

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

most of these cases of "serious autism" just sound like really severe cases of infantilism. I wouldn't be surprised to find dude in a my little pony shirt telling his tinder date that he's into diaper play

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The handshake, like currency, has been around for millennia as a symbol of trust. Unlike currency though, the handshake requires no additional hardware, central banking system, or card. It does not allow for a precise and safe transference of wealth, but it could, with a little help from our friend the bitcoin.

This is an idea I call “platonic payments”.

To accept payments you wear a watch, or ideally it is integrated in to an existing watch like the Pebble. To pay you wear a ring, which contains a short-range rewritable RFID tag storing a single bitcoin address. The payee specifies the amount with two dials on the watch, one for dollars, one for cents. Both parties then shake hands, bringing the RFID ring within reading range of the detector, which uses the information to charge the payer’s bitcoin wallet. No fees. No slow hardware exchange. No cold plastic or large, expensive POS systems blaring light in an otherwise relaxing environment. I also think service establishments should just charge 20% tip by default.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bassguitarhero posted:

most of these cases of "serious autism" just sound like really severe cases of infantilism. I wouldn't be surprised to find dude in a my little pony shirt telling his tinder date that he's into diaper play

As our world becomes more connected it has become of the utmost importance to clearly and easily visualize the structures that represent the modern digital age: the graph. Anyone involved in object oriented programming, artificial intelligence, networks, social media, or of course the fascinating field of graph theory makes heavy use of these structures. Graphs are a fertile topic that I plan to write more about, but for now we will focus on the immediately practical: the fantastic open source graph visualization toolkit Graphviz.

Let us explore some of the useful features of Graphviz and its associated description language “dot” by tracing the convoluted relationships of the characters in R. Kelly’s (currently) 23 part epic “Trapped in the Closet”.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The handshake, like currency, has been around for millennia as a symbol of trust. Unlike currency though, the handshake requires no additional hardware, central banking system, or card. It does not allow for a precise and safe transference of wealth, but it could, with a little help from our friend the bitcoin.

This is an idea I call “platonic payments”.

To accept payments you wear a watch, or ideally it is integrated in to an existing watch like the Pebble. To pay you wear a ring, which contains a short-range rewritable RFID tag storing a single bitcoin address. The payee specifies the amount with two dials on the watch, one for dollars, one for cents. Both parties then shake hands, bringing the RFID ring within reading range of the detector, which uses the information to charge the payer’s bitcoin wallet. No fees. No slow hardware exchange. No cold plastic or large, expensive POS systems blaring light in an otherwise relaxing environment. I also think service establishments should just charge 20% tip by default.

zybourne clock will never not be funny

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It was a concern that important gut bacteria would need the other substances in food, but fiber alone seems to do the job. In fact, it may be preferable to kill off some species, like the ones that turn chemicals in red meat in to unsavory byproducts.

Contamination is not much of a concern. This is a solved problem in the heavily regulated food industry, with well vetted methods to ensure products are free of heavy metals and microbes, unlike anything I ever cooked at home.

The act of food processing does not destroy nutrition, but it does destroy flavor, which is carried by volatile chemicals. This is the only reason people assume "fresh" food is healthier. It's not. But it usually is tastier, for a day or two. It is completely possible to make healthy processed foods, there just hasn't been much demand due to this bias. As our understanding of the complex field of flavor science advances we will soon have tastier, healthier foods than ever before.

lol his autism is going to give him c diff

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Kitchens are expensive and dirty. This home manufacturing center has been by far the most liberating to eliminate. They are the greediest consumers of power, water, and labor and produce the most noise and garbage of any room. Moreover, they can be made totally unnecessary with a few practical life hacks.

First, I never cook. I am all for self reliance but repeating the same labor over and over for the sake of existence is the realm of robots. I utilize soylent only at home and go out to eat when craving company or flavor. This eliminates a panoply of expensive tools and rotting ingredients I would need to spend an unconscionable amount of time sourcing, preparing, and cleaning.

Next, I switched from beer to red wine. I buy with Saucey so I don’t have to use awful retail stores. Decent red wine is surprisingly cheap, pleasurable, and does not require refrigeration. I also end up drinking less liquid overall, meaning fewer bottles to throw away (I average about one trashbag / month) and fewer trips to the bathroom, meaning for a comparable amount of alcohol, when wine is consumed instead of beer there is less electrolyte loss and less after effects.

With no fridge, no dishes, no microwave, no oven, no range, no dishwasher, no utensils, no pests, no cleaning products nor dirty rags, my life is considerably simpler, lighter and cleaner than before. I think it was a bit presumptuous for the architect to assume I wanted a kitchen with my apartment and make me pay for it. My home is a place of peace. I don’t want to live with red hot heating elements and razor sharp knives. That sounds like a torture chamber. However, it’s not a total loss. I was able to use the cabinets to store part of my book collection.

I have not done laundry in years. I get my clothing custom made in China for prices you would not believe and have new ones regularly shipped to me.

The first space colonies will have no coal power plants. I am ready. For now though, as I am driven through the gleaming city, my hunger peacefully at bay, I have visions of the parking lots and grocery stores replaced by parks and community centers, power plants retrofitted as museums and galleries. Traffic and trash and pollution will evaporate, if only we are willing to adapt some routines.

i didn't realize until it was pointed out to me that this is written by the guy who invented soylent and soylent 2.0 launched today, so this is probably a viral marketing thing

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/628267104794337280

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 4, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

i get this for $45 a month

yeah but you have to live in/near somerville

mass is pretty good with internet infrastructure though. when i lived in boston i had 50 mbit comcast for i think $45/mo. that was around 2008ish so pretty good for the time

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:allears:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if only i were lucky enough to be a feeeeemaaaale and have an uber automatically called for me

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you want to go out tonight?

and do what? eat? 30,000 words on food and why i just don't have enough time to code pointless poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

if only i were lucky enough to be a feeeeemaaaale and have an uber automatically called for me

pretend i algorithmically empty quoted this

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah but you have to live in/near somerville

mass is pretty good with internet infrastructure though. when i lived in boston i had 50 mbit comcast for i think $45/mo. that was around 2008ish so pretty good for the time

comcast has 150/25 stated service, which will probably similarly overdeliver (this rcn is actually 110/10 stated speeds but always goes much faster) but then we'd have to pay like 80 a month and it's like ehhhhh

the rcn also bursts over 200 down for the first 100 megabytes or w/e

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

how many soylent farts per hour do you think you could withstand before touching his flaccid malnourished weiner thru his jumpsuit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

comcast has 150/25 stated service, which will probably similarly overdeliver (this rcn is actually 110/10 stated speeds but always goes much faster) but then we'd have to pay like 80 a month and it's like ehhhhh

the rcn also bursts over 200 down for the first 100 megabytes or w/e

yeah comcast way overdelivers here, this is on a "60/10" line:

i don't move for a few days but i guess we'll see if fios in nyc lives up to its claimed 100mbit

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

food is such a central part of almost every culture, how does this dipshit justify eating green paste for every meal over not making fart apps or whatever

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

stop posting speedtests you idiots

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah comcast way overdelivers here, this is on a "60/10" line:

i don't move for a few days but i guess we'll see if fios in nyc lives up to its claimed 100mbit

rcn in some places in/around nyc has 330 mbit service and its like dammmmn

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I maneuver my husk into position over the composting fecal receptacle. "There's got to be a better way," I say as I struggle to release my waste into the receptacle. A diet of Hot Pockets may not be nutritionally sound, but as I capture my flatulence and channel it into a methane-burning furnace, I can use my microwave oven where others must use natural gas or other fossil fuels to power their homes.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

I maneuver my husk into position over the composting fecal receptacle. "There's got to be a better way," I say as I struggle to release my waste into the receptacle. A diet of Hot Pockets may not be nutritionally sound, but as I capture my flatulence and channel it into a methane-burning furnace, I can use my microwave oven where others must use natural gas or other fossil fuels to power their homes.

don't post my fetlife profile

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The act of food processing does not destroy nutrition, but it does destroy flavor, which is carried by volatile chemicals. This is the only reason people assume "fresh" food is healthier. It's not. But it usually is tastier, for a day or two. It is completely possible to make healthy processed foods, there just hasn't been much demand due to this bias. As our understanding of the complex field of flavor science advances we will soon have tastier, healthier foods than ever before.

lol his autism is going to give him c diff

this is a man who created and consumes a flavorless slurry and considers the lack of flavor to be a bonus.

pretty sure that normal people would go insane on such a diet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

whenever rhinehart comes up on other places i post i always point out that he cannot be trusted because he does not think anything through. e.g. taking massive amounts of antibiotics so that he wouldn't have to poop

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

here's a thing i said elsewhere after pointing out the poop thing, in anticipation of a claimed ad hominem

That fact serves as an important anchor whenever Rob Rhinehart makes the news for what amount to modern human endurance tricks. He's like David Blaine for nerds who want to be rebellious but who don't want to actually risk life, limb, or comfort.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

my other option was a 25/10 line from time warner for $70/mo lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

i'm moving in 6 months but if i wasn't i'd seriously consider the gigabit line that my isp just put in

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

$ curl api.sendpolice.com/alerts -d "name=Granos"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
why would you not want to poop or drink water

nothing like mowing the lawn, drinking a liter of ice cold water, then a beer, then coffee, then taking a huge fibrous poo poo from all the kale and spinach you ate yesterday

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why would you not want to poop or drink water

nothing like mowing the lawn, drinking a liter of ice cold water, then a beer, then coffee, then taking a huge fibrous poo poo from all the kale and spinach you ate yesterday

he was doing a water challenge where you try to minimize water usage

he obviously did insane poo poo in pursuit of that including shipping some synthetic fiber bodysuit from china because cotton plants use water or some poo poo like that

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
it was also airtight/watertight so he was literally stewing in his own sweat

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duTrieux. posted:

he was doing a water challenge where you try to minimize water usage

he obviously did insane poo poo in pursuit of that including shipping some synthetic fiber bodysuit from china because cotton plants use water or some poo poo like that

a stillsuit counts since it recycles the water right?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it was also airtight/watertight so he was literally stewing in his own sweat

stewsuit

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Virion posted:

a stillsuit counts since it recycles the water right?

it does. all water, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
what about jizz smythe

• Locked thread