Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
drat Spurgeon is real good, I would have taken him if he was a lefty last round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

THE MACHO MAN posted:

The New York Rangers select RD of the Minnesota Wild, Jared Spurgeon. Spurgeon is just 26, a RHD, and he's got great stats, fancy and otherwise. He currently costs just 2.667 but is an RFA next year.

I will post my next pick in a minute.

Godaaaaaammmmmmit

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
The New York Rangers select:

Kevin Hayes, of the New York Rangers.

In his rookie season with the Rangers, the 23 year old put up 45 points, mostly playing on the third line. He received a ton of offensive zone starts for the Rangers and has fantastic offensive fancy while being ok at shot suppression. The New York Rangers believe that he will be a successful top 6 forward.

The Rangers plan to use him on the wings primarily, since he is the most god awful faceoff man on earth. If necessary he can center the third for depth purposes . Hayes somehow has a $3.750 cap hit despite his salary being just $.900m. He has one year left on his contract

x-Crosby(8.700)-Kucherov (0.894)
x-Kadri(4.100)-Hayes(3.750)

Fowler(4.000)-Spurgeron (2.667)

Holtby (6.100)

All the positions are starting to look a little thin now. I have to avoid looking like Penguins depth wise.

I also have to watch my spending a bit since I have four RFAs. Kadri might get a slight bump depending on how this season goes. Hayes I would imagine gets around the same. Kucherov I would think is $5m at least if he repeats his year. Spurgeron is probably $4-4.5+

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 3, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

assuming he didn't kill himself after niskanen got picked, Stickarts is up

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hayes' cap hit isn't really 3.75, because the team is allowed to go over the cap on performance bonus stuff.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
holy poo poo ive spent 39 million on 6 players

and my next pick is in the 7-8 million range

who the gently caress needs a cap

argh

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Jordan7hm posted:

Hayes' cap hit isn't really 3.75, because the team is allowed to go over the cap on performance bonus stuff.

so it's .900 or whatever the salary is?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

stab posted:

holy poo poo ive spent 39 million on 6 players

and my next pick is in the 7-8 million range

who the gently caress needs a cap

argh

also you still need a defenseman

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Fuckin Brock Nelson I guess. Even if he tops out at 25-25, he is big, tough in the trolley tracks and can slip between wing and C, or so says the internet. Perfect middle six player who can spot in on the top line if need be.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i thought people forgot brock nelson existed, that sucks

joeljoel is up again

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I picked Brock Nelson last year and he was pretty cool

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Yeah I was thinking either him, hayes, or about 3 other guys. I didn't know that Nelson plays LW too though. I still kind of liked Hayes fancy stats and overall.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ryan Ellis

I'll be home soon to do some write ups and quit with the lazy posting.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

JoelJoel posted:

Ryan Ellis

I'll be home soon to do some write ups and quit with the lazy posting.

Well poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Another Islander off the board: Josh Bailey.

He's rounded into a solid second line center since being rushed to the NHL. He plays a ton of ES minutes against decent competition and does well for himself both possession and scoring-wise. He and Silf will anchor that second line for years to come.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

STEBE!

"Stone Cold" Steve Mason
Pos:
Goaltender
Cap Hit: $4,100,000/yr through 2016-17

Q: What do Corey Crawford, Cory Schneider, Tuukaa Rask, Henrik Lundqvist, and Pekka Rinne all have in common?

A: They all had a lower save percentage than Steve Mason last year.

And yet still, Steve Mason is often derided for being an average, sometimes even bad, goaltender. Even after a season in which is posted the third best SV% and 7th best GAA in the entire NHL behind a (to put it kindly) gasoline-soaked dumpster fire of a defence in Philadelphia, Mason still doesn't get proper credit. Oh, and his head coach was actively trying to get him killed. Did I mention that?

Well I believe in Steve Mason, and so should you!

I'm not saying Steve Mason is the third best goalie in the NHL. I am saying he's a lot better than most people think he is. Sure, Mason was 3rd among qualified goalies in SV%, but guess where he ranked in terms of 5v5 SV%? FIRST. That's right, even better than Carey loving Price.

Alright, fine. Yes, last year in all likelihood will be Mason's career year. But the thing is, I don't need him to be that outstanding. I have actual defencemen that can take the pressure off Mason a bit.

Is Mason an elite goalie? Probably not. In the long term he'll probably settle back down towards the league average. But the simple fact is he's been performing like an elite goaltender ever since he came to Philadelphia. Considering few, if any, of the remaining goalies can say that, I'm more than happy to have Stebe.

MASON 3:16 MEANS I JUST STONED YOUR rear end

C. Kreider - M. Koivu - G. Nyquist
?????????? - C. McDavid - ??????????

M. Vlasic - K. Shattenkirk

S. Mason

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 4, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
canucks pick cam talbot because he's a foundational piece and other foundational piece and culture carrier Loui Eriksson in the desperate hope that he has a better comeback season

i wish i didnt have to pick a goalie here but if i wait another round i'm going to be left with the dregs because its like 50 picks before i get to go again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Another Islander off the board: Josh Bailey.

He's rounded into a solid second line center since being rushed to the NHL. He plays a ton of ES minutes against decent competition and does well for himself both possession and scoring-wise. He and Silf will anchor that second line for years to come.

This dude is definitely a left winger. A pretty good one though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Infidel Castro posted:

Also lazerwolf is up since Vervictus still hasn't shown up.

what? two hours per pick, you hasty fucker

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I may pick a goalie before a coach

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Verviticus posted:

if you still haven't picked your previous round you just get skipped bro

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Verviticus posted:

You missed your 6th round pick.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

god the system gets worse every time

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Pick better then

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Technetium posted:

Pick better then

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

god the system gets worse every time

lol no. make your pick or send a list you selfish turd

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
On that note I have starsfan's pick for this next one.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Ya hurry up so i can take my 8 mil dman captain plz

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This dude is definitely a left winger. A pretty good one though.

yeah neither Nelson nor Bailey play center in the NHL at the moment, Nelson may move back there some day but he's most likely gonna be a top 6 LW for the next few years. I think the Isles see him as a long term 2C though.

Bailey never plays center anymore, he's strictly a winger now. He's a solid middle 6 guy who will be the best player on the ice for a week of games and then vanish for a month. Really weird dude with a ton of talent who just hasn't been able to completely put it together yet. But even when he's off his game he's at least solid defensively.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild take Mattias Ekholm

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bah.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
well as it turns out I have an opportunity to get to a computer and can make my pick

Florida Panthers select C/RW Charlie Coyle

Coyle has a very similar track record to my previous pick Nino Niederreiter. He's maybe not turned into the top line forward that everyone was hoping for right off the bat, but he has developed his game to where he's a good two way forward and can put up some offense at even strength and on the power play. Coyle is a big guy as well, who can play the two way game that I am looking for in my forwards.

I was pretty divided between taking a forward or a defenseman at this spot, but I like his age and contract for the role I'm picking for here.

Florida Panthers so far:

Ladd - Seguin - Coyle
x - Scheifele - Niederreiter

Hamonic - Josi

next up: focus on defense

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

coyle was a pretty late first round pick. id say he's exceeded what i expected

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Hm I have a choice here between 2nd liners or no.2 d-men... and at how this draft trend is looking, I'm grabbing blueline help while I can

Los Angeles Kings select D Dmitry Kulikov

He's solid, on an acceptable contract, young (6 year NHL vet at 24). Decent player and pickup by me :toot:

Technetium you're up

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 4, 2015

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Verviticus posted:

coyle was a pretty late first round pick. id say he's exceeded what i expected

I guess I'm just remembering when he broke into the league and was on a line with Parise and Koivu. He scored a few goals and people were really hyping him as a potential breakout talent on the 1st line in Minnesota. Obviously he kind of settled into that secondary role as an offensive threat, but his numbers were impressive enough in that capacity last year to make me think he has untapped potential which is going to shine through as Minnesota has to replace some of their aging forward core.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Brent Burns is way better than Charlie Coyle

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Well since we're all taking defencemen I'm going to go ahead and take a guy I'm kind of surprised is still on the board with Mike Green

Ginette Reno make pick

Technetium fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 4, 2015

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

tofes posted:

Brent Burns is way better than Charlie Coyle

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Gimme Valeri Nuchuskin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Gimme Valeri Nuchuskin

gently caress you, that is all.

I was so sure people would forget about him. He was the ace up my sleeve.

• Locked thread