Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

No Wave posted:

The worst part of this season was BoJack, a 53 year old, getting Diana, a 34 year old, to apologize for hurting his feelings... totally pathetic and undercuts his brutal realization in S1 that he's scum. When did she stop thinking he's a piece of crap? And why?

I don't understand the issue. Last season sort of props Diane up as this impeachable figure that Bojack idolizes and I think an important part of his growth in S2 is a) admitting that he has feelings AT ALL and B) that she hurt them.

Like Diane is just kind of a total loser bitch this season (I get why, it's good for her character) and a big part of her season 2 growth is 'If Bojack Horseman is calling you out for hurting someone's feelings... You done hosed up'.

And just from an armchair psychoanalytical perspective, Bojack's development probably hits a solid roadblock as soon as he lands Horsin' Around and so while 53, he is probably much closer to someone in their late 30's/early 40's emotionally, and Diane being a cynical nerd is maybe a little overdeveloped, so they line up pretty well (which is why their friendship seems fluid and realistic despite S1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Diane releasing embarrassing information explicitly against his wishes was a good career move for both and an extension of her understanding of her field, but of course it would hurt BoJack's feelings and it's not wrong to apologize for that if they're friends (whether she "regrets" the decision or not, which I don't think she does).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't understand the issue. Last season sort of props Diane up as this impeachable figure that Bojack idolizes and I think an important part of his growth in S2 is a) admitting that he has feelings AT ALL and B) that she hurt them.

Like Diane is just kind of a total loser bitch this season (I get why, it's good for her character) and a big part of her season 2 growth is 'If Bojack Horseman is calling you out for hurting someone's feelings... You done hosed up'.

And just from an armchair psychoanalytical perspective, Bojack's development probably hits a solid roadblock as soon as he lands Horsin' Around and so while 53, he is probably much closer to someone in their late 30's/early 40's emotionally, and Diane being a cynical nerd is maybe a little overdeveloped, so they line up pretty well (which is why their friendship seems fluid and realistic despite S1).
It shows that nobody is a bastion of purity or at least immune to wallowing in despair, to me. I really like that she's sort of become Bojack Jr in season 2.

The episode which starts with Bojack having his first smoke, and then ending with him and Diane on the balcony, was one of the heaviest for me, because it's come full circle and you can't always tell if it's just that everyone is broken, or whether or not Bojack is actually poisoning the lives and personalities of those around him.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

No Wave posted:

The worst part of this season was BoJack, a 53 year old, getting Diana, a 34 year old

Is bojack really written as 53 or is he just 53 because the show was anchored to being an 1980s star and that set the time line? He seems written as someone who is early 40s and the full house style sitcom just locked him to be canonically older.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is bojack really written as 53 or is he just 53 because the show was anchored to being an 1980s star and that set the time line? He seems written as someone who is early 40s and the full house style sitcom just locked him to be canonically older.

The show specifically says that Horsin' Around ran from 1987-1996 and is set 2014-2015-ish and repeatedly mentions that his show ended "20 years ago", so yeah, he's at least 50.

Hell, Bob Saget is 59.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
As a 36 year-old, 50+ is not even pushing the awkward envelope. I have way more in common with more 40-50 somethings than I do most sub-25 year-olds. I just am skeezed by older women who work out way too much until they get all veiny and weird looking like a body builder, or Madonna/Cher.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

The worst part of this season was BoJack, a 53 year old, getting Diana, a 34 year old, to apologize for hurting his feelings... totally pathetic and undercuts his brutal realization in S1 that he's scum.

Nah, that was entirely reasonable. It was weird that they'd managed to skate around it for so long.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Bojack even outright says that actors like him are frozen in whatever age they got famous, they didn't just hint it. That's why he wanted to get with Wanda, she went into a coma right around the age he got famous so they have the same maturity level

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Bojack even outright says that actors like him are frozen in whatever age they got famous, they didn't just hint it. That's why he wanted to get with Wanda, she went into a coma right around the age he got famous so they have the same maturity level
It's the film director who says it.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Pick posted:

Diane releasing embarrassing information explicitly against his wishes was a good career move for both and an extension of her understanding of her field, but of course it would hurt BoJack's feelings and it's not wrong to apologize for that if they're friends (whether she "regrets" the decision or not, which I don't think she does).

Exactly. I don't think you can really blame Diane for releasing the book since Bojack said she could write the truth and then spent the entire time being a terrible person. What did he think was going to be in it? But obviously, that doesn't make having a friend publicly poo poo on you any less painful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Lisa Kudrow is really good in this. Also on Netflix: Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, which is a really funny movie.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So I discovered this show two weeks ago and finished it within a week and now I want plushies of all five main characters because I love them all so much and want to hug them when I sleep.

Wasn't a big fan of S2E12, though. After the massive punch to the gut that was Episode 11 (I still get chills thinking about Charlotte's "I will loving kill you" line), Episode 12 rang a little false to me. I guess I wanted to see more of the emotional repercussions, and I wanted Bojack to earn that slight redemption with Todd's friendship a little more, it all came really fast and felt like it was hastily put in to bandage over how punishing 11 was. The line at the end from the runner is great, though, and a perfect way to end the Season. I just wished there could have been a bit more in 12 that built up to that. Either way, I'm hopeful for BoJack and also terrified things will go horribly wrong. Here's hoping Season 3 involves a lot of therapy!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Xanderkish posted:

So I discovered this show two weeks ago and finished it within a week and now I want plushies of all five main characters because I love them all so much and want to hug them when I sleep.

Wasn't a big fan of S2E12, though. After the massive punch to the gut that was Episode 11 (I still get chills thinking about Charlotte's "I will loving kill you" line), Episode 12 rang a little false to me. I guess I wanted to see more of the emotional repercussions, and I wanted Bojack to earn that slight redemption with Todd's friendship a little more, it all came really fast and felt like it was hastily put in to bandage over how punishing 11 was. The line at the end from the runner is great, though, and a perfect way to end the Season. I just wished there could have been a bit more in 12 that built up to that. Either way, I'm hopeful for BoJack and also terrified things will go horribly wrong. Here's hoping Season 3 involves a lot of therapy!

I think just about any episode after 11 will feel like a letdown. That said, the improv plotline felt a bit like low hanging fruit, and Bojack realizing how important Todd's friendship is to him and how he is a jerk to Todd is something they have gone to a few times already so it feels weaker. I still like the last episode, but I think it was one of the weaker ones for the season and coming right after out of LA just magnifies the problem.

On the plus side, the parts with Princess Caroline were loving great.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I remember everything from episode 11, but barely anything from episode 12. It was just so forgettable.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

I dont know posted:

On the plus side, the parts with Princess Caroline were loving great.

They really were, and it's so drat refreshing to have a television show that goes "Hey, relationships aren't everything, and being single can be totally okay."

I also like the last episode, but then I like all of the episodes. This is gonna sound ridiculous, but they're like my dysfunctional television friends, and I always like to see them, even when they're not on their A-game.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's the film director who says it.

Whoops, yeah, that does make more sense than having Bojack say it. It would be way too introspective.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I actually really liked Bojack's heartfelt speech to Todd on the boat and felt like it did make sense, even if Todd being so two-dimensional is already wearing thin. It's just that it was so hot on the heels of the nuclear bomb that was S2E11 that, as others have said, nothing could have lived up to it.

I feel like S3 is going to be "Bojack is ACTUALLY 100% trying to get his poo poo together, but now has the consequences of being mega-famous for a movie he didn't really act in as the background to his attempt at being a real actor, and the torrential fallout of his stay in New Mexico will come back to haunt him, even though he is no longer the person that did those things."

At the risk of getting real, when you have gone to rock bottom and back, sometimes the hardest part of sobering/growing/owning up to stuff is trying to move on from being a lovely person and just being constantly reminded of how lovely you were. it can dig deep and make you feel like "Whats the point of trying to salvage my life if this is what i was capable of?" and I feel like that is precisely what S2 is trying to lead into.

I fully expect from S3:

~Penny & her father showing up again (the way he acted toward the boat can't have been a red herring, this show is too smart for that)
~Alcohol teens narcing BJ out and the cops come looking for him
~Bojack hating himself for restarting his career via a computer simulation and a hologram
~Wanda having a new boyfriend (OMG Vincent & Wanda!) and Bojack hating himself for pushing her away for the deer that didn't actually need him
~Bojack and Mr. PB finally having a moment as friends and Bojack needing him for support

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Xanderkish posted:

So I discovered this show two weeks ago and finished it within a week and now I want plushies of all five main characters because I love them all so much and want to hug them when I sleep

How much do you want those plushies? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718308

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Asiina posted:

I remember everything from episode 11, but barely anything from episode 12. It was just so forgettable.

I don't know how you forget the improv death match.

Definitely wasn't as strong as the episode before, but that one was the grand slam. The finale was just everyone rounding the bases.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Transmogrifier posted:

Rutabaga Rabbitowitz.

I like catching the celebrity animal mash ups. Penny has a Llama Del Rey poster in her room and there's a front page newspaper article about Shaquille O'Seal.

Also Penny's concert poster for Bunny Ver (w/ Fleet Foxes) was amazing

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Joose Caboose posted:

Also Penny's concert poster for Bunny Ver (w/ Fleet Foxes) was amazing

Holy poo poo, I caught the Fleet Foxes bit, but Bunny Ver is pretty :vince:

For those of you who aren't picking it up:

try saying it out loud to yourself

The band Bon Iver is pronounced "Bohn Ee-vair""

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

FKA Pigs was also a cute one :3:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Greatbacon posted:

Holy poo poo, I caught the Fleet Foxes bit, but Bunny Ver is pretty :vince:

For those of you who aren't picking it up:

try saying it out loud to yourself

The band Bon Iver is pronounced "Bohn Ee-vair""
Yeah, still not getting it.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, still not getting it.

Bunny Ver = Bon Iver (pronounced Bohn Ee-vair) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Iver & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdgFoHLwnk

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I still don't get it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Llama Del Rey is the real winner in that screenshot.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
They really New Mexicoed the hell out of New Mexico in that episode. I can only imagine what New York will be like.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
They mispronounced Tesuque, which Breaking Bad got right (teh-soo-kee). Incidentally, that makes Bojack the second TV show protagonist to travel to Tesuque and ruin an old friend's life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would have been a better joke if it was Bun Iver. It probably was Bun Iver and then someone kept trying to make it jokier but failed.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cojawfee posted:

It would have been a better joke if it was Bun Iver. It probably was Bun Iver and then someone kept trying to make it jokier but failed.

What animal is a Bun? It doesn't work because it's not an animal joke.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rabbit enthusiasts call bunnies buns.

http://www.bunspace.com/

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just remembered Drake's song at the dance. "I'm drake. Drakey drake drake drake." I wish that was on YouTube.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cojawfee posted:

No that's much worse.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A joke that forces you to say it out loud to really get it is A Good Joke, hth

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Bust Rodd posted:

A joke that forces you to say it out loud to really get it is A Good Joke, hth

Like Bunny Ver?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Case A: viewer knows the spelling and pronunciation of Bon Iver, and thus probably gets the joke.

Case B: viewer knows the spelling but not the pronunciation. Joke might be got if shifting of the second syllable from the second word in Bon Iver to the first word in Bunny Ver doesn't throw the viewer off.

Case C: viewer knows the pronunciation but not the spelling (ie. when many Twitter users watching the Grammys a couple years ago wondered who "Bonny Bear" was). Joke might be got unless viewer mentally rhymes "Ver" with "blur".

Case D: viewer knows not hide nor hair of Wisconsin indie folk artist Justin Vernon AKA Bon Iver, and thus is distracted little or not at all from their involvement in "Escape From LA" by a throwaway background gag. We call these people "the lucky ones."

Conclusion: "Bunny Ver" would be a good pun spoken aloud. Subtler and arguably stronger would be a lapine Mr. Vernon presented without comment for the audience to deduce themselves. But "Bunny Ver" written on a poster and center-framed in an important dialogue-heavy scene of the season's climactic episode? "That's too much, man!"

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 6, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I didn't notice it until someone posted the screenshot because Bon Iver, while I am aware of it being some kind of musical group and upon seeing the screenshot got the joke immediately, is not a reference I'm going to immediately get because who cares?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

I fully expect from S3:

~Penny & her father showing up again (the way he acted toward the boat can't have been a red herring, this show is too smart for that)
~Alcohol teens narcing BJ out and the cops come looking for him
~Bojack hating himself for restarting his career via a computer simulation and a hologram
~Wanda having a new boyfriend (OMG Vincent & Wanda!) and Bojack hating himself for pushing her away for the deer that didn't actually need him
~Bojack and Mr. PB finally having a moment as friends and Bojack needing him for support

Season 3 sounds like trite, cliched poo poo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like the coyote chasing the roadrunner in New Mexico. Also I liked the season. Opened stronger than the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cojawfee posted:

Rabbit enthusiasts call bunnies buns.

http://www.bunspace.com/

I agree, more shows should cater to the rabbit enthusiast crowd. Truly an untapped market.