Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

GreyPowerVan posted:

So why does everyone think Alan Grayson is crazy? I admit I don't have firsthand experience with him but all I've seen on my facebook is "get big money out of politics" and "expand medicare to cover dental, vision, and hearing."

He is volatile in a way that seems to go beyond passionate in the defense of what he believes, and more into the realm of just being a dude who can't stop getting insanely pissed off and screaming at people. Also IIRC high-profile, contentious divorce. That kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

GreyPowerVan posted:

So why does everyone think Alan Grayson is crazy? I admit I don't have firsthand experience with him but all I've seen on my facebook is "get big money out of politics" and "expand medicare to cover dental, vision, and hearing."

Mainstream democratic party apparatchiks dislike him because he doesn't wilt into a sniveling apologetic blob when confronted by conservative nuttery, and also because he's actually left wing enough to be more than marginally left-of-center. This exposes them for the complicit cowards they are and makes them uncomfortable. Republicans hate him because he's not afraid to call them on their bullshit or point out, loudly, that their ideology is essentially "gently caress you and die unless you're rich."

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, I guess I like him then. Being really angry about people being awful to other people is a-ok in my book.

Thanks for the insight.

EDIT: Vvv whoa buddy that's crazy.

SSJ_naruto_2003 has issued a correction as of 01:16 on Jul 31, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
He also is a multimillionaire with a son who was withholding child support payments and issuing statements to the press about how he was going to be polite and just call his wife a "crazy gold-digger" when he could go much further. He also claimed poverty when asked why he wasn't paying child support and his wife and kids were living in a trailer. He also had a restraining order taken out against him and called the cops when his wife used the credit card to buy groceries and gas without telling him. Pretty sure those are the major reasons people don't want him in front of cameras.

Fun fact: His wife's legal name is Lolita.

Leon Trotsky 2012 has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Jul 31, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He also released the infamous "submit to me" ad in 2010 where he quoted his opponent out of context and made it appear that he supported a position opposite to what it was in reality. The position being that he uses Christianity to get his wife to submit to him, or something along those lines. He's the Democratic version of the crazy Tea Party candidate who is in over his head but just wants to keep digging.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He also is a multimillionaire with a son who was withholding child support payments and issuing statements to the press about how he was going to be polite and just call his wife a "crazy gold-digger" when he could go much further. He also claimed poverty when asked why he wasn't paying child support and his wife and kids were living in a trailer. He also had a restraining order taken out against him and called the cops when his wife used the credit card to buy groceries and gas without telling him. Pretty sure those are the major reasons people don't want him in front of cameras.

Fun fact: His wife's legal name is Lolita.

Oh, it's that guy? I heard something about that a few years ago but didn't ever know it was him. That makes me sad, I support medicaid being expanded but he's a little insane :smith:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh, it's that guy? I heard something about that a few years ago but didn't ever know it was him. That makes me sad, I support medicaid being expanded but he's a little insane :smith:

It is a sad fact that even reasonable policy positions can be held by crazy assholes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe a judge just ruled a week or so ago that he was never legally married to his wife

Personal problems aside, he's good on most issues other than I/P.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe a judge just ruled a week or so ago that he was never legally married to his wife

Wait what? How did that happen? They have a kid so presumably they hosed at some point so you can't get off on the "never consummated" loophole.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

axeil posted:

Wait what? How did that happen? They have a kid so presumably they hosed at some point so you can't get off on the "never consummated" loophole.

Apparently she was legally married to someone else at the time she married Grayson.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah there was an annulment ordered because of that.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The Edward IV defense still going strong

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Grayson is a guy who somehow thinks it's ok to call your opponent "taliban dan"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

Grayson is a guy who somehow thinks it's ok to call your opponent "taliban dan"

I'm assuming his opponent wasn't literally a member of the Taliban, right :eng99:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Grayson sexually harassed a friend of mine. gently caress him.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm assuming his opponent wasn't literally a member of the Taliban, right :eng99:

Well, no, but he was a pretty vocal Tea Partier. Still, Grayson could have made his case much more effectively by just pointing out the crazy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

No but don't you see, he says political stuff that I agree with.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cliff Racer posted:

No but don't you see, he says political stuff that I agree with.

He does. I was furious to find out he was a shithead to people I like.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

VanSandman posted:

That's a pretty serious accusation. It's also something that would seriously mean a loss of support from me, and many others.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The US Steelworkers have endorsed Katie McGinty in the PA Senate primary.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I think I'm going to have to vote for Alan Grayson for the Florida Senate seat. It's a shame that he's apparently crazy, but he's a progressive I agree with rather than a pushover Democrat or a Republican. If a better option surfaces, I'll take it, but decent candidates are few and far between in the strange wild land of Florida.

e: I said "Florida Senate" when I meant Marco Rubio's U.S. Senate seat. I'm sure that was obvious, but I made myself look like an idiot.

MrWillsauce has issued a correction as of 10:39 on Aug 7, 2015

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

MrWillsauce posted:

I think I'm going to have to vote for Alan Grayson for the Florida Senate seat. It's a shame that he's apparently crazy, but he's a progressive I agree with rather than a pushover Democrat or a Republican. If a better option surfaces, I'll take it, but decent candidates are few and far between in the strange wild land of Florida.

e: I said "Florida Senate" when I meant Marco Rubio's U.S. Senate seat. I'm sure that was obvious, but I made myself look like an idiot.

This drives me crazy. Murphy isn't a great candidate, but I'm not worried about Democrats who are secretly Republican. I'm worried about Republicans who are openly Republican. They're the ones who threaten to carpet bomb the budget and letting them keep control of the US Senate with a newly-elected (possibly Republican) President would be an utter disaster that we will feel for a decade or more. It's not just about who has 50 (or 51) votes - it's about who controls the Majority Leader chair and can prevent legislation from coming to the floor. Grayson is a tax dodging millionaire who keeps his hedge fund money in the Caymans. He can't win the US Senate. I'd love to have a good progressive option in Florida, but there isn't one. People like Murphy are the legislators you get pissed about once every six months because they make an annoying vote on an important/high profile issue, but that's a world better than a reliably right wing vote.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Aug 7, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MrWillsauce posted:

I, too, support bad unelectable people on the grounds that their unhinged ranting makes them seem strong. That's why I'm the democratic equivalent of a Trump voter, if only he'd come back to our side.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Concerned Citizen posted:

This drives me crazy. Murphy isn't a great candidate, but I'm not worried about Democrats who are secretly Republican.

You should be, because they and their Republican allies are why we are in this mess. Well and the people who vote for them.

quote:

People like Murphy are the legislators you get pissed about once every six months because they make an annoying vote on an important/high profile issue, but that's a world better than a reliably right wing vote.

Are you arguing that bad votes on important issues are okay as long as votes on issues of lesser importance are within acceptable parameters?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I would have preferred Democrat Charlie Crist as Governor/Senator than Rubio and Scott.

I know, I'm a heretic.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I should also say that this is the first election I'm participating in and that I'm not very informed about state politics. But I hope to rectify that, hence my stupid posts in this thread!

That was just my impression from glancing at his voting record and stuff, and I don't feel strongly that he's the best candidate 'cause he's gonna tell it like it is and make America great again. Given that this is Florida, it seems like all of the candidates are going to be pretty lovely. It just seems like Grayson really believes in the progressive agenda, especially universal healthcare. But yeah, reading about his attack ads made me cringe. Ultimately I'll vote whichever Democrat has the best chance of winning, to help end the nightmare that is a Republican controlled Congress.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

MrWillsauce posted:

I should also say that this is the first election I'm participating in and that I'm not very informed about state politics. But I hope to rectify that, hence my stupid posts in this thread!

That was just my impression from glancing at his voting record and stuff, and I don't feel strongly that he's the best candidate 'cause he's gonna tell it like it is and make America great again. Given that this is Florida, it seems like all of the candidates are going to be pretty lovely. It just seems like Grayson really believes in the progressive agenda, especially universal healthcare. But yeah, reading about his attack ads made me cringe. Ultimately I'll vote whichever Democrat has the best chance of winning, to help end the nightmare that is a Republican controlled Congress.

Grayson is a lovely candidate who will probably lose. Murphy is a Republican masquerading as a Democrat and who votes with Republicans the majority of the time on issues important and not. So it's a poo poo sandwich with extra diarrhea that Floridians have to eat this time. Kind of like every time, because the state is filled with conservatives and has an incredibly incompetent state and regional party "working" for it. I'm sorry you have to go through that. I'm glad I left the state.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Feather posted:

Grayson is a lovely candidate who will probably lose. Murphy is a Republican masquerading as a Democrat and who votes with Republicans the majority of the time on issues important and not. So it's a poo poo sandwich with extra diarrhea that Floridians have to eat this time. Kind of like every time, because the state is filled with conservatives and has an incredibly incompetent state and regional party "working" for it. I'm sorry you have to go through that. I'm glad I left the state.

My mother occasionally tells tales of a time before time when Florida was a blue state and our choices for politicians didn't suck. This was before Disneyworld was built and we started getting flooded with retirees. :negative:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Feather posted:

You should be, because they and their Republican allies are why we are in this mess. Well and the people who vote for them.

How often does it actually come down to the votes of moderate Democrats? The ACA was definitely watered down by moderate Democrats worried about electoral wipeout, but for the most part I don't spend my day thinking "boy, Joe Manchin is just ruining the Democratic Party!" Are we supposed to seriously believe that Joe Manchin being a Senator is worse than a far-right tea party Republican? Yes, it'd be nice if we had some true blue progressive in Florida, but we don't have that choice. It's Murphy, a mediocre moderate Democrat who will definitely piss us off sometimes, versus a Republican. Grayson can't win. He just can't. And even if he could, people would find a lot of things to hate about him anyway because he masks his more moderate views with aggressive rhetoric. For example, he's to the right of even Chuck Schumer on Israel.

quote:

Are you arguing that bad votes on important issues are okay as long as votes on issues of lesser importance are within acceptable parameters?

I'm arguing that I'd rather have a few bad votes than a lot of bad votes. It's pretty simple. And controlling the Majority Leader spot means those bad votes are far less likely to happen in the first place, because the floor will have vastly less right-wing legislation to vote on. This poo poo isn't a joke. People's livelihoods are at stake based on who wins these seats. Failing to win back the Senate will have real consequences.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Aug 7, 2015

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008
Grayson is only a progressive because he calls himself one.

Reminder: He has little support from progressives within congress and while the Progressive Change Campaign Committee and Democracy for America has rushed to endorse Donna Edwards for Senate in Maryland, they have been very quiet regarding Alan Grayson.

It might have something to do with the fact that Alan Grayson, despite claiming he is a progressive, is actually running to the right of Patrick Murphy. For example; take his stance on income tax.

quote:

"One way that you could try to address [income inequality] is through the tax system, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you tax people who make more money more," he said.

"At the top end, it's a complicated situation," he added. "I can tell you, in fact, there are repercussions and second order effects that come from modifying the tax rates at the top."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feather posted:

Bad votes on some issues is better than bad votes on all issues.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrWillsauce posted:

I made myself look like an idiot.

Yeah, you sure did. Also, Gwen Graham is running for the seat too but if you hate Murphy you'll hate her just as much. You might think that moderates betray you whenever you come up but that's bullshit. Every Democrat in the senate voted for some form of Obamacare and losing just one would have killed it, but they all stuck together.

Klaus88 posted:

My mother occasionally tells tales of a time before time when Florida was a blue state and our choices for politicians didn't suck. This was before Disneyworld was built and we started getting flooded with retirees. :negative:

Ahh yes, back in the days of Jim Crow when Dixiecrats did their best. Not a Republican in sight, no poo poo politicians there.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Look out Jerry Moran, 'cause Milton is hungry like the Wolf. :getin:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

At first I was confused because I thought it was referring to Jim Moran but I guess Kansas has a Senator Moran who isn't sufficiently pure.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bqhatevwr.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Joementum posted:

Bqhatevwr.

:lol: at least Feingold didn't hop over to another state to do it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The "support Chuck Schumer 100% of the time" part is the cherry on top, given the number of anti-Iran-deal ads Johnson runs.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Joementum posted:

Bqhatevwr.

I get that people use that line, but it seems especially funny and weird to use it against Feingold who unilaterally applies his campaign finance law to himself. He did it the last four times (or at least the first two). I assume he is doing it again?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Toomey just voted to defund Planned Parenthood, there's no way that won't hurt him next year, especially if Katie McGinty wins the primary. I'm pretty sure everyone in PA saw that coming, but I thought there was a slight chance he might break ranks to try and shore up some moderate cred.

Kirk from Illinois who I believe is up for re-election next year was one of 2 republicans who voted against, and the other was Mitch McConnell...which I guess is some kind of procedural thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, procedural. I don't think that the Planned Parenthood vote will hurt Toomey much either, if at all. Abortion hasn't been much of an issue around here, as far as I can see. With Specter we had been electing a pro-choice Republican for ages and between the two Caseys you can say the same for electing pro-life Democrats.

• Locked thread