Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

It just occurred to me that 130 years is one heck of a long time to keep unpowered electronics in a wooden crate, with uncontrolled climate for at least a few decades of that, and expect them to still work fine and all information to be intact.

giant :ohdear:
He's fine! Probably mostly. Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Robo was built to last pretty much forever, right?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

wiegieman posted:

Robo was built to last pretty much forever, right?
Kinda? He's tough as hell but stuff has to get replaced every so often. Whatever his brain is, it's taken a lot of beatings over the last 100 years, and he's come out of all of them fine. An extended dormant period might not be that bad? Maybe?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Kinda? He's tough as hell but stuff has to get replaced every so often. Whatever his brain is, it's taken a lot of beatings over the last 100 years, and he's come out of all of them fine. An extended dormant period might not be that bad? Maybe?

How long is it taking you to write these posts, if you count the time spent cackling?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Did Tesladyne have Robo's full schematics? Or is it just enough to rebuild everything not important to the "automatic intelligence" parts?

Could they download his memories and reload him into a completely new Robo?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Depends on what they're stored on, really. Normally I wouldn't fancy his chances much but it's not like there's any real reference for a storage time of 1 1/3 decades except maybe "phonograph cylinders still work if you're very lucky".

But then those are Edison's tech.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

8one6 posted:

Did Tesladyne have Robo's full schematics? Or is it just enough to rebuild everything not important to the "automatic intelligence" parts?

Could they download his memories and reload him into a completely new Robo?
They know enough about his brain to get things to interface with it like his cellphone, radio, new hi-def optics, etc., but they don't know a drat thing about how it works to generate his consciousness and memories.

And even if it were possible to copy and upload his mind, there's still the question of the continuity of that consciousness, re: why ALAN went through a hell of a lot of trouble to NOT just upload himself across the internet in Ghost of Station X.

quote:

How long is it taking you to write these posts, if you count the time spent cackling?
There's a minimum of cackling. This time.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh dear, that robot in the new issue cover... :cheeky:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Are we getting a pacific rim plot? Please say we're getting a pacific rim plot.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

A.o.D. posted:

Are we getting a pacific rim plot? Please say we're getting a pacific rim plot.
It's entirely fair to describe The Ring of Fire as the Jason Bourne vs Pacific Rim crossover fanfic you never knew you needed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hyperactive posted:

It's entirely fair to describe The Ring of Fire as the Jason Bourne vs Pacific Rim crossover fanfic you never knew you needed.

Well, at least a comic can't have shaky cam.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm sure there's some Javascript trickery that says otherwise.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you on not knowing I needed that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Here is a non-exhaustive list of other story amalgams I know I want:

Pacific Rim/Law and Order
Pacific Rim/ Mountains of Madness
Pacific Rim/Steel Magnolias
CSI:New York/Innsmouth
Citizen Cane/Homestar Runner
Gordon Gekko/Sesame Street
Neon Genesis Evanwhatever/Battletech

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Lurdiak posted:

Well, at least a comic can't have shaky cam.
Look, it's just a fact that you can't fight a monster unless it's the dead of night and also during a hurricane.

A.o.D. posted:

Pacific Rim/Law and Order
Pacific Rim/ Mountains of Madness
Pacific Rim/Steel Magnolias
CSI:New York/Innsmouth
I'll see what we can do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not saying I have a list, but if you could somehow pull off Alien vs. Predator vs. Asterix...

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not saying I have a list, but if you could somehow pull off Alien vs. Predator vs. Asterix...

"Ils sont fous, ces xénomorphes!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

So, Strong Bad having a raps battle with a white dude from Virginia?

(:ssh: The movie is Citizen Kane)

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Gaz-L posted:

Ahh yes, the mean streets of Fredericksburg, home to a bunch of colonial reenactment tour sites that VA school children are ferried through every year of grade school, civil war battlefields, and a million lovely antique stores for old folks to paw through to find the best tacky nick-knacks for their colonial brick homes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

(:ssh: The movie is Citizen Kane)

Don't tell me, tell that to the android OS.

Gunjin posted:

Ahh yes, the mean streets of Fredericksburg, home to a bunch of colonial reenactment tour sites that VA school children are ferried through every year of grade school, civil war battlefields, and a million lovely antique stores for old folks to paw through to find the best tacky nick-knacks for their colonial brick homes.

All in search for the long lost Aunt Gert.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That was something I was actually wondering about since I saw Robo mention he gets RSS feeds in his head: if they've been able to modify him after the fact to add stuff like his "headphone" or if his centuries-ahead-of-its-time fancy robot brain was just that adaptable.

If it's the former, then I do hope we eventually get to see Atomic Robo and the Carefully Hidden Feet, where an adventure in the '90s forces Robo to A) enter cyberspace B) replace at least one limb with a gun and C) wear a trenchcoat.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Wanderer posted:

That was something I was actually wondering about since I saw Robo mention he gets RSS feeds in his head: if they've been able to modify him after the fact to add stuff like his "headphone" or if his centuries-ahead-of-its-time fancy robot brain was just that adaptable.

If it's the former, then I do hope we eventually get to see Atomic Robo and the Carefully Hidden Feet, where an adventure in the '90s forces Robo to A) enter cyberspace B) replace at least one limb with a gun and C) wear a trenchcoat.
They've definitely added tech to him. Better eyes, lots of mental stuff like a phone and radio and wi-fi in his skull, etc. Even with a human brain, it's easier for us to make things that can interface with it directly than it is for us to invent a human brain from scratch. Robo has the added advantages that there's no immune system attacking the new bits, or meat or blood to gunk them up,, and he's a walking power source.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yay! Robo's back!

(But seriously, I didn't expect the jumper cables to fry him)

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yay! Robo's back!

(But seriously, I didn't expect the jumper cables to fry him)
I mean, not to kill the tension, or the suspicion of disbelief or whatever, but y'know, it would be dumb to have a book called Atomic Robo and then have no atomic robot in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hyperactive posted:

I mean, not to kill the tension, or the suspicion of disbelief or whatever, but y'know, it would be dumb to have a book called Atomic Robo and then have no atomic robot in it.

It'd be like making a Punisher movie where the main character has no skull on his shirt.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hyperactive posted:

Worked for Captain America.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Endless Mike posted:

Worked for Captain America.
Dubious.

There was always a guy filling the role.

Aaaaaaaaaand the film franchise guarantees that if you wait a little while, then the comics will always revert to Steve Rogers as Cap

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
There's still a lot that could happen with Robo before this point, if you wanted to go back and tell those stories. I was half-expecting a volume or two of one-shots set at various points in Robo's past with the framing device being the remaining Tesladyne employees trying to find some way to bring him back when the jumpers didn't work.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Just curious, but, once the issue is over, will the half pages be merged together or kept as they are? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

A.o.D. posted:

If you want it that badly I'll give it to ya:

HR: 'Wosebwud'
SB: 'What the crap, it's just a sled.'

That'll be $50.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Covok posted:

Just curious, but, once the issue is over, will the half pages be merged together or kept as they are? Just a thought that crossed my mind.
You are already reading issue two, so nope!

It's not inconceivable that we'd merge the half pages into full pages at some point in the future, but it's not a priority right now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If you want it that badly I'll give it to ya:

HR: 'Wosebwud'
SB: 'What the crap, it's just a sled.'

That'll be $50.

That is, verbatim, a quote directly from my mind as I typed that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hyperactive you and your team do amazing work, but I must ask that you more forcefully whip whomever makes the Dr. Dinosaur's True Dinosaur Facts because I need more of them in my life.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

A.o.D. posted:

Look up 'Space Runaway Ideon' and prepare to cry.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Who What Now posted:

Hyperactive you and your team do amazing work, but I must ask that you more forcefully whip whomever makes the Dr. Dinosaur's True Dinosaur Facts because I need more of them in my life.
Maybe I'll put up a new one with tomorrow's update.

MAYBE.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hyper, unrelated to Atomic Robo, but I've been stuck in an accounting job I've hated for three years and I can't thank you enough for Warbot in Accounting.

That drat comic has managed to get me through some really rough times, because no matter how bad it gets, at least I'm not Warbot.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Hyper, unrelated to Atomic Robo, but I've been stuck in an accounting job I've hated for three years and I can't thank you enough for Warbot in Accounting.

That drat comic has managed to get me through some really rough times, because no matter how bad it gets, at least I'm not Warbot.
Hey. Life is short. Find something you can tolerate ASAP!

My favorite thing about Warbot is the final storyline we have planned for it. I have no idea if we'll ever have a chance to work on it, which is probably a good thing, because it honestly makes the rest of it look like a pleasant walk in the park.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hyperactive posted:

My favorite thing about Warbot is the final storyline we have planned for it. I have no idea if we'll ever have a chance to work on it, which is probably a good thing, because it honestly makes the rest of it look like a pleasant walk in the park.

Now I really want to see it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

I'm shoving my wallet at the screen but it doesn't seem to be making this happen, please advise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

A.o.D. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adtYk1ovvEc

Hyperactive posted:

Could this maybe be a stretch goal on the next kickstarter you guys do? I could see Warbot as part of the Atomic Robo universe.

Well, thematically at least. Not so much tonally.

• Locked thread