Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Tezzor posted:

I don't see how you could do the owod vampire post gehenna especially with a metaplot. The looming apocalypse is such a high stakes plot that nothing can top it. I guess you can shamble ahead with new enemies out of left field like every other scifi / fantasy franchise that for money went on beyond its natural coherent ending: death note, dbz, the star wars eu, terminator, Buffy, supernatural, etc

I expect that "post-Gehenna" is going to mean "Gehenna is no longer the sword of Damocles hanging over the immediate future of the setting," not "the dumbest possible version of the apocalypse happened off-screen and forever changed the world, again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Daeren posted:

That ain't a bad pedigree.

Monica is very good. I for one welcome her to the Development cabal!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gtrmp posted:

I expect that "post-Gehenna" is going to mean "Gehenna is no longer the sword of Damocles hanging over the immediate future of the setting," not "the dumbest possible version of the apocalypse happened off-screen and forever changed the world, again."

Yeah, but out of the four Gehennas presented in Time of Judgement: Gehenna, one ends with all the vampires gone or turned back to humans, one ends with the Antediluvians rising up and spending several months destroying the world, and one ends with the Masquerade completely gone. Post-Gehenna has this implication that something very major and apocalyptic happened, so maintaining the setting in a way that resembles Revised will be difficult.

It's like writing this major game about politics in the Interbellum period, ending with four potential WWII's as a major meta-plot event, and then saying 4th edition will be about the 1950's and 1960's.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's obvious (to me) that the correct answer is to therefore use none of those options from the Gehenna book. After all that book was written to help people wrap up long term Chronicles and in-line fiction. It wasn't designed to be playable beyond the end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe they'll go back to 1E Gehenna, which is jsut Antedeluvians waking, eating everyone and going back to sleep, and it's hinted this has happened multiple times. The world moves on while most vampires are dead, and you play as a bunch of low-generation neonates building a new vampire society.

The board is wiped clean and a new chess game begins.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

The By Night Larp is post Gehenna as well. There's a few throwaway lines about how a cotiere went to Enoch and prevented it, ending the Nights of Turmoil and such. The Sabbat, bereft of the apocalypse and second coming they were expecting kinda ends up losing a lot of ground, but is still around.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think a post-Gehenna world where the Sabbat was instrumental in preventing or mitigating the end-times might be more compelling.

Like sure, the Sabbat is still fundamentally a suicide cult whose very existence is unhealthy for Kindred as a whole. But hey, they killed the Antediluvians, so shut the gently caress up.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Hipster Occultist posted:

The By Night Larp is post Gehenna as well. There's a few throwaway lines about how a cotiere went to Enoch and prevented it, ending the Nights of Turmoil and such. The Sabbat, bereft of the apocalypse and second coming they were expecting kinda ends up losing a lot of ground, but is still around.

Wow that's a really boring option.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe they'll go back to 1E Gehenna, which is jsut Antedeluvians waking, eating everyone and going back to sleep, and it's hinted this has happened multiple times. The world moves on while most vampires are dead, and you play as a bunch of low-generation neonates building a new vampire society.

The board is wiped clean and a new chess game begins.

I kinda like that idea.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I'm planning to run a game of V:tR, and I was wondering whether people prefer first or second edition? I figure first edition would have all the material and bloodlines balanced to it, but I usually prefer the rules of 2e. Does the thread have any suggestions for which I should go with?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jade Mage posted:

I'm planning to run a game of V:tR, and I was wondering whether people prefer first or second edition? I figure first edition would have all the material and bloodlines balanced to it, but I usually prefer the rules of 2e. Does the thread have any suggestions for which I should go with?
Use whichever one you like. Pretty much all the 1e stuff ports over easily enough and if you need help getting something to fit (e.g. stuff that inflicts/enhances derangements I just have cause an appropriate mental condition), just ask here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would say that 2e's non-usage of derangements makes it better but bear in mind that I really, really hate derangements.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Touchstones are great and therefore 2e is better.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

2e is better in most ways and if you and your players are not super-familiar with the game I wouldn't gently caress around with bloodlines and stuff anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I prefer 1E overall, but 2E has some really great rules improvement. It's just that they kind of went overboard with power creep. :shrug:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
2E's a little harder to learn because it tends to give you more powers and traits up-front, but there's not much it gives freshly-made vampires that they didn't have already.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jade Mage posted:

I'm planning to run a game of V:tR, and I was wondering whether people prefer first or second edition? I figure first edition would have all the material and bloodlines balanced to it, but I usually prefer the rules of 2e. Does the thread have any suggestions forich I should go with?

Big fan of 2e.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
The few gripes I have with 2e in general are stuff people won't generally run into unless they're system mastery geeks or doing a whole lot of combat. If you're starting fresh, use 2e as your ruleset and feel free to use 1e books where they fit.

Vampire 2e in particular, I enjoy it on the whole. The only axes I have left to grind in particular are the changes to the Coils (which this thread has been over at least four times), and a few specific Discipline changes that I'm not personally a fan of. Probably the abruptest change between 1e and 2e's rules for vampires are that 1e's sunlight damage rules will make any vampire detonate like a firecracker in a few seconds of sunlight, while 2e makes it less far less deadly on average.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Daeren posted:

The few gripes I have with 2e in general are stuff people won't generally run into unless they're system mastery geeks or doing a whole lot of combat. If you're starting fresh, use 2e as your ruleset and feel free to use 1e books where they fit.

Vampire 2e in particular, I enjoy it on the whole. The only axes I have left to grind in particular are the changes to the Coils (which this thread has been over at least four times), and a few specific Discipline changes that I'm not personally a fan of. Probably the abruptest change between 1e and 2e's rules for vampires are that 1e's sunlight damage rules will make any vampire detonate like a firecracker in a few seconds of sunlight, while 2e makes it less far less deadly on average.

Yeah, I more or less agree with this.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Use 1e's Nightmare discipline regardless of what edition you actually play, unless you're really enamored of 2e's Gnome Illusionist take on Nosferatu.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Daeren posted:

Probably the abruptest change between 1e and 2e's rules for vampires are that 1e's sunlight damage rules will make any vampire detonate like a firecracker in a few seconds of sunlight, while 2e makes it less far less deadly on average.

If I remember how it worked correctly, you take a number of dice in damage equal to your Blood Potence every Humanity turns or something. If you wear heavy clothing, you can reduce your effective Blood Potence by 1. So a BP 1 Vampire wearing heavy clothing can walk around in broad daylight without issue.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LatwPIAT posted:

If I remember how it worked correctly, you take a number of dice in damage equal to your Blood Potence every Humanity turns or something. If you wear heavy clothing, you can reduce your effective Blood Potence by 1. So a BP 1 Vampire wearing heavy clothing can walk around in broad daylight without issue.

You'd still have to be awake though, right? Does 2E preserve 1E's rule that vamps go catatonic during daylight hours, barring a few very particular bloodlines? I know it was the case when I ran 1E Requiem for Rome a few years ago.

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars
Does anyone have any 'absolute must-have' supplements for Changeling: the Lost? I'm prepping to run a WW2 era cloak and dagger sort of thing, if that helps.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

You'd still have to be awake though, right? Does 2E preserve 1E's rule that vamps go catatonic during daylight hours, barring a few very particular bloodlines? I know it was the case when I ran 1E Requiem for Rome a few years ago.

You can do a humanity roll to try and stay awake. I think there are rituals that keep you up, too

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Yep, humanity roll every hour to stay awake. You don't get any penalties when night-time comes around again.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

WereJace posted:

Does anyone have any 'absolute must-have' supplements for Changeling: the Lost? I'm prepping to run a WW2 era cloak and dagger sort of thing, if that helps.

Winter Masques has a ton of new kiths (Including several regional-folklore specific-ones), some new affinity contracts for seemings, and alternate court structures like the Directionals (Cool, playable) and Day and Night (Not so much on either.)

It also has one version of the rules for Dual Kith.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Grim Fears and Autumn Nightmares have lots of interesting villains (most of the Changeling ones are Fairest, however, which is kind of irritating since a different spectrum of antagonists would have been better IMO) but I don't know if I would call them must-haves.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

WereJace posted:

I really like the goblin markets book.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

LatwPIAT posted:

The base damage is based on your Humanity, with anything 7+ dealing one lethal per "tick", and it going up from there. Funnily enough, if you can't spend vitae to heal for whatever reason, you die FASTER at Humanity 5 (3 lethal) than Humanity 4 (1 aggravated).
The frequency with which you take damage is based on your BP, with 0 being "never" and 1-2 being 10 minutes, going up to 5x per turn at BP 10

Wearing super heavy clothing reduces your BP by 1, so a BP1 vampire could walk around in daylight if they're wearing a hazmat suit or something

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

The base damage is based on your Humanity, with anything 7+ dealing one lethal per "tick", and it going up from there. Funnily enough, if you can't spend vitae to heal for whatever reason, you die FASTER at Humanity 5 (3 lethal) than Humanity 4 (1 aggravated).
The frequency with which you take damage is based on your BP, with 0 being "never" and 1-2 being 10 minutes, going up to 5x per turn at BP 10

Wearing super heavy clothing reduces your BP by 1, so a BP1 vampire could walk around in daylight if they're wearing a hazmat suit or something

The book isn't all that clear on whether "heavy clothing" means "HazMat suit" or "gloves, trenchcoat, sunglasses, and wide-brimmed hat" though, IIRC. It would probably have been clearer if they'd specified whether all the skin actually needs to be covered or not.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LatwPIAT posted:

The book isn't all that clear on whether "heavy clothing" means "HazMat suit" or "gloves, trenchcoat, sunglasses, and wide-brimmed hat" though, IIRC. It would probably have been clearer if they'd specified whether all the skin actually needs to be covered or not.
I would assume they mean something like what Deacon Frost does in Blade.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

LatwPIAT posted:

Yeah, I was exaggerating there. I'd probably rule that a trenchoat, gloves, hat and glasses are about the level you'd need. Of course, people would think you were very suspicious for wearing that most of the time, but that's just another reason why Obfuscate 1 is so incredible.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

WereJace posted:

I think Rites of Spring is probably most useful - it goes into a lot of great detail on oneiromancy (dream magic) and pledge-crafting, as well as really expanding on the thorns and how to do stuff in them. Winter Masques was cool for alternate settings, for going into a lot of detail on how seemings tend to work, and for additional kiths, but I don't know that it was as useful after character creation was done. Autumn Nightmares is a fantastic antagonist book, and great for coming up with cool, creepy ideas for plot and plot hooks. Dancers in the Dusk has a great chapter on dreams, more focused on running stories set in them, and has a bunch of cool stuff for the hedge; it's really the "for STs" equivalent of Rites of Spring. Swords at Dawn has a bunch of stuff on tale crafting, but the rules are a little meh - if you're really familiar with fairy tales and Joseph Campbell you can probably come up with a better system for when people go low clarity and start getting hooked on using fate to turn everything into a myth.

My order would probably be:
Rites of Spring
Autumn Nightmares
Dancers in the Dusk
Winter Masques
Everything Else

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So, this thread doubles periodically as my Clutch thread. Clutch's new album is coming out in October, which is awesome, but I thought I'd link you all to the single. It's on a music journo site but that's the easiest way to get to it. Clicky clicky.

With what we know of Deviant - creatures made by the sinister experimentation of greater powers - it just so happens to fit thematically really well, right down to the kind of frenetic lunatic pace I imagine a lot of Deviant games are going to have. A good chunk of the album is apparently going to have a narrative with this sort of bizarre mad scientist sci-fi poo poo. Telekinetic prophetic dynamite!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Rites of Spring is my favorite from a player side because it adds so many fun new Merits and Contracts to play with.

Yessod posted:

Swords at Dawn has a bunch of stuff on tale crafting, but the rules are a little meh - if you're really familiar with fairy tales and Joseph Campbell you can probably come up with a better system for when people go low clarity and start getting hooked on using fate to turn everything into a myth.

The talecrafting chapter has the best opening fiction/art in the whole line and heavily informs how I run Changeling.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, I was exaggerating there. I'd probably rule that a trenchoat, gloves, hat and glasses are about the level you'd need. Of course, people would think you were very suspicious for wearing that most of the time, but that's just another reason why Obfuscate 1 is so incredible.

I believe the criteria given is something that covers nearly everything but your eyes, so I think it'd be a step past that. So Darkman or bust.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Loomer posted:

With what we know of Deviant - creatures made by the sinister experimentation of greater powers - it just so happens to fit thematically really well, right down to the kind of frenetic lunatic pace I imagine a lot of Deviant games are going to have. A good chunk of the album is apparently going to have a narrative with this sort of bizarre mad scientist sci-fi poo poo. Telekinetic prophetic dynamite!
I am still pretty sure he throws random words in there to fit whatever rhythm he has going on.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Twibbit posted:

I am still pretty sure he throws random words in there to fit whatever rhythm he has going on.

Oh, absolutely. You can put narrative in Fallon's work, but he's still Fallon and he's still going to rant and rave like a lunatic in front of the mike.

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars

Yessod posted:

I think Rites of Spring is probably most useful - it goes into a lot of great detail on oneiromancy (dream magic) and pledge-crafting, as well as really expanding on the thorns and how to do stuff in them. Winter Masques was cool for alternate settings, for going into a lot of detail on how seemings tend to work, and for additional kiths, but I don't know that it was as useful after character creation was done. Autumn Nightmares is a fantastic antagonist book, and great for coming up with cool, creepy ideas for plot and plot hooks. Dancers in the Dusk has a great chapter on dreams, more focused on running stories set in them, and has a bunch of cool stuff for the hedge; it's really the "for STs" equivalent of Rites of Spring. Swords at Dawn has a bunch of stuff on tale crafting, but the rules are a little meh - if you're really familiar with fairy tales and Joseph Campbell you can probably come up with a better system for when people go low clarity and start getting hooked on using fate to turn everything into a myth.

My order would probably be:
Rites of Spring
Autumn Nightmares
Dancers in the Dusk
Winter Masques
Everything Else

Awesome, thank you to everyone for the suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Man, I hope Talecrafting 2.0 is as awesome as I wanted 1.0 to be. The mechanics in Swords at Dawn just left me flat.