Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kaza42 posted:

So, there was supposed to be a 3rd edition playtest run at Gencon, and the spots for it filled up basically instantly with a great deal of hype and excitement surrounding it. It turns out, however, that Onyx Path never gave the group organizing the playtest the rules, so a 2.5 edition game happened instead. Bear in mind that this was an officially approved event (it's not like a fan group was running it without OP's permission), and that people paid $6 per ticket for the opportunity.

It's a shame that they aren't totally unrelated to OP, it would have been amazing if they had just run the leak instead of the official rules they were promised.
And ruin Christmas?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I'd have just downloaded the playtest rules and then run that. And then when OPP asks me how it went, I'll just go "oh yeah, we got the playtest rules juuuuust fine."

And then I'd just give sly winks for twenty minutes.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 3, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Kaza42 posted:

So, there was supposed to be a 3rd edition playtest run at Gencon, and the spots for it filled up basically instantly with a great deal of hype and excitement surrounding it. It turns out, however, that Onyx Path never gave the group organizing the playtest the rules, so a 2.5 edition game happened instead. Bear in mind that this was an officially approved event (it's not like a fan group was running it without OP's permission), and that people paid $6 per ticket for the opportunity.

It's a shame that they aren't totally unrelated to OP, it would have been amazing if they had just run the leak instead of the official rules they were promised.

:psyduck:

What the christ.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Hahahahahahahahaha.

We're never getting this book.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Eat the devs.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
That doesn't sound like a 'Devs' problem. It sounds like Rich Thomas SOP of saying 'gently caress Exalted fans' or whatever.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
From what I heard none of the devs were at GenCon this year, but I hope those people got a muh'fuggin' refund, or just downloaded the leak like savvy consumers such as myself.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Kaza42 posted:

:perfect:

No, but seriously, gently caress the team behind E3.

Anyways, I had a question about Battle Groups. Do Battle Group stats come from their leader or do they come from the average stat of the beings making up the group?

QuintessenceX fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 4, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
gently caress 'em if they can't take a joke.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

QuintessenceX posted:

Anyways, I had a question about Battle Groups. Do Battle Group stats come from their leader or do they come from the average stat of the beings making up the group?

The people in the group. Leaders just make Command Rolls to buff up their group's dice pool.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That's loving perfect.

Honestly at this point the whole mess is worth a lot more in entertainment than the game will ever be.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
That is awful and pathetic.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I especially love how they gave approximate (to the quarter) release dates for everything except Exalted 3rd, which has been "Almost in backer's hands!" for literal years now.

Now I can't picture RichT as anything other than that goth nerd in high school that hated everything bright and sun-shiny on sheer principle, which doesn't bode well for some other properties of theirs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TwoQuestions posted:

I especially love how they gave approximate (to the quarter) release dates for everything except Exalted 3rd, which has been "Almost in backer's hands!" for literal years now.

Now I can't picture RichT as anything other than that goth nerd in high school that hated everything bright and sun-shiny on sheer principle, which doesn't bode well for some other properties of theirs.
My impression is that these guys for a variety of reasons, ranging from Morke's problems with Larry and Barry to "???" have broken the usual mould of how these products go.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
An exclusive sneak peek into Onyx Path Headquarters.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

This is a pro-click.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Why did I read this right before bed? This is some Silent Hill level terrifying poo poo. Now I'll have nightmares.

Pro loving click.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

TwoQuestions posted:

Why did I read this right before bed? This is some Silent Hill level terrifying poo poo. Now I'll have nightmares.

Pro loving click.

This was written by one of the lead writers for Destiny, which explains a lot about that game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are we up to the next layout pass yet?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Lone Badger posted:

Are we up to the next layout pass yet?

We're up from six to seven, yes.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

bewilderment posted:

This was written by one of the lead writers for Destiny, which explains a lot about that game.

It was? Man, that is both depressing and suddenly both the writing and Destiny really do make more sense.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Back with Marathon bungie was the original idea guys trying to do way more than they were capable of.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

gourdcaptain posted:

It was? Man, that is both depressing and suddenly both the writing and Destiny really do make more sense.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,75941/
'Additional Production' on Destiny and Halo 4, Producer on Halo Reach and the other 360 Halo games, and some older Call of Duty production credits. Definitely writing from experience on that one.

I'm not sure if RPGs in general have the kind of budget to generate that kind of meeting besides maybe White Wolf at its peak or DnD from 2003 to 2010ish.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ronwayne posted:

Back with Marathon bungie was the original idea guys trying to do way more than they were capable of.

I thought people liked marathon?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bedlamdan posted:

I thought people liked marathon?

It was definitely popular with those who Macintosh operating systems as it was one of the few FPS on the OS. No idea how the Windows crowd felt.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Covok posted:

It was definitely popular with those who Macintosh operating systems as it was one of the few FPS on the OS. No idea how the Windows crowd felt.
Was it available on Windows at all?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zereth posted:

Was it available on Windows at all?

It's sequels were and the original was much, much later on (like 2011).

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Marathon was incredibly cool and was a pioneering example of games having a huge and weird understated backstory for fans to ob7ess over. I only played Marathon 2, but Marathon Infinity was more or less a proto-Homestuck in terms of plot insanity.

http://marathon.bungie.org/story/

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Covok posted:

At the time it came out, it was borderline revolutionary in terms of storytelling in an FPS; ie, it had some. For reference, at the time it came out, DOOM was about 9 months old and the original System Shock had just been released on PC. Unfortunately, by the time the sequels were available to the PC crowd, games like System Shock had already steered the genre into a new groove, so the sequels came across as dated also-rans to PC gamers, and were mostly loved by a rabid Mac fanbase.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Nessus posted:

My impression is that these guys for a variety of reasons, ranging from Morke's problems with Larry and Barry to "???" have broken the usual mould of how these products go.

Almost every single OPP release since EX3's funding has avoided the sort of Sisyphean clusterfuck that EX3 dove into - and those very few that came close are only close in the sense of astronomical scales. EX3 has been huffing its own farts in the corner furthest from the rest of the company for a long while now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Daeren posted:

Almost every single OPP release since EX3's funding has avoided the sort of Sisyphean clusterfuck that EX3 dove into - and those very few that came close are only close in the sense of astronomical scales. EX3 has been huffing its own farts in the corner furthest from the rest of the company for a long while now.
Yeah I mean, Wraith, which literally seems to have a curse, has shown substantial sample texts as I recall. I still regret backing Ex3 as hard as I did - I could've put that cash into Wraith! :mad:

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Earlier I suddenly realized that if this circus goes on until october, the book will be two years late. And then I died a little inside.

Two years.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Danakir posted:

Earlier I suddenly realized that if this circus goes on until october, the book will be two years late. And then I died a little inside.

Two years.

If you haven't already, go look up what Far West is and how long that's taking as an RPG product.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

bewilderment posted:

If you haven't already, go look up what Far West is and how long that's taking as an RPG product.

I am forever grateful to GMS for lowering the bar for the rest of the industry

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
What's sad is I don't think Far West is even the most delayed RPG kickstarter. (Say hello to Powerchords, which funded in September 2010 and they still haven't admitted it's not happening.)

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Is it really that weird that I had higher expectations than that? There's worse, no doubt, but I didn't think Exalted would ever be making that list.

cybertier
May 2, 2013

Danakir posted:

Is it really that weird that I had higher expectations than that? There's worse, no doubt, but I didn't think Exalted would ever be making that list.

quote:

Risk: This book isn't created at all even though the goal is reached.
Solution: We have successfully shipped two Deluxe books funded by KS backers, and two more are at press. All those books have taught us how the various pieces of the process works, and the creators of EX3 have over a century of combined experience in the writing, art direction, developing and layout of beautiful tabletop RPG books. The writing is already more than half-way finished and we are contracting the remaining art at the same time as this KS.

Reading this you'd never think that it would be over two years from completion. When did they send out the art notes? Late 2014?

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
I think they mentioned starting over from scratch at least once? It's been long enough I've got trouble recalling the whole timeline.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

If memory serves, they decided to restart from scratch in either late 2013 or early 2014. Also, the lead dev got a severely-infected lymph node, and while that probably shouldn't grind progress to a halt, since there should be enough of a crisis allowance that someone else can pick up and carry on their work, tabletop RPGs are the small businesses of small businesses - even fuckin' D&D Online got permanently derailed by the loss of their webmistress, albeit in much more hosed-up circumstances (murder-suicide by jealous husband :stare:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

If memory serves, they decided to restart from scratch in either late 2013 or early 2014. Also, the lead dev got a severely-infected lymph node, and while that probably shouldn't grind progress to a halt, since there should be enough of a crisis allowance that someone else can pick up and carry on their work, tabletop RPGs are the small businesses of small businesses - even fuckin' D&D Online got permanently derailed by the loss of their webmistress, albeit in much more hosed-up circumstances (murder-suicide by jealous husband :stare:)

From what I hear, second-hand? Starting from scratch was probably a good call because the very first version had way too many problems.

• Locked thread