Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not in the ways that mattered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I think history will be kind to FFXIII-2 and 3, but not 1.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Finished XIII for the first time.

Not as bad as I remember, to be honest. The plot was garbage and paced like poo poo, but there were a couple of decent moments for Hope/Sazh/Snow. Hell, Hope and Snow went from my most hated characters to by far my favorite after Chapter 7 was over. The combat got really fun later in the game and figuring out how to five star stomp the poo poo out of things late in the game was awesome. I enjoyed that the difficulty curve was actually pretty well done once you got out of the early game shitfest. Even Sazh was much more useful then I remember cause of how insane Haste is.

If the first half of the game wasn't so poo poo and the plot had more direction with less terrible villains, it'd be remembered a lot better I think.

Now for the madness that is XIII-2 :unsmigghh:.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Calaveron posted:

13-2 has more of a hot stuff list of features but suffers from a severe case of mid trilogy syndrome.

13 will get its due like every other mainline game: 10 years from now 15 and 7r will finally release and everyone will go into them with enough pessimism to come out 1/3 of the way through wondering maybe the old one wasn't bad and going back to finally give it another shot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Honestly, I think XIII is probably a better game overall than XIII-2. It's just that XIII-2 is more fun to play.

XIII had a lot of cool ideas and the plot itself isn't bad (the premise at least),.It's just that pesky execution thing it fails at. Of course, the majority of the game is about the characters. The story is just that thing in the background you don't pay attention to. The plot only matters after you get to Pulse, and gently caress Pulse and its lovely Pharos wannabe tower dungeon.

Always good to find others who have come around on Snow. He's gonna be the Raiden of FF in a few more years, mark my words. Everyone bitched and bitched and bitched the first few years but then they realized he was the best.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Was a Lightning Returns release on Steam just forgotten about

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

They've said it is still coming.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Volt Catfish posted:

We'll probably hear about it at Gamescom.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CLhYnGdW8AEKrfF.mp4

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Actually it's already been pretty kind to FF13. As much as people publically shat all over it and proclaimed the death of SE it still sold 300k when it came out on Steam last year even though it's a bad port of a poorly received game released in 2009 (Holy poo poo really 2009)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I just can't tell if the LR love is ironic or not. I can only assume the love is based entirely on the combat system and the fans just ignore everything else. Well, maybe they factor in the soundtrack.

I guess I'll find out later this week.

I like everything about t and put it on par with X-2 in my tier list.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

I just can't tell if the LR love is ironic or not. I can only assume the love is based entirely on the combat system and the fans just ignore everything else. Well, maybe they factor in the soundtrack.

I guess I'll find out later this week.

I played like four hours total of both 13-1 and -2, and I finished lightning returns. It is genuinely fun and has jokes and silly quests.

My favorite questline is the missing dad story in the wildlands.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Honestly, I think XIII is probably a better game overall than XIII-2. It's just that XIII-2 is more fun to play.

XIII had a lot of cool ideas and the plot itself isn't bad (the premise at least),.It's just that pesky execution thing it fails at. Of course, the majority of the game is about the characters. The story is just that thing in the background you don't pay attention to. The plot only matters after you get to Pulse, and gently caress Pulse and its lovely Pharos wannabe tower dungeon.

Always good to find others who have come around on Snow. He's gonna be the Raiden of FF in a few more years, mark my words. Everyone bitched and bitched and bitched the first few years but then they realized he was the best.

Is it weird that I found XIII far more tolerable than XIII-2? I mean XIII-2 had the idea of cool collectable dress-up monsters, but Noel, Caius and Yeul were such poor characters that Serah, an already mediocre character, couldn't save the plot. This despite the fact that Comepetent Hope and Time Travelling Snow were far better than their original incarnations.

At least as annoying as XIII was, I never had to use Hope again after Chapter 11. Screw all the people with their optimal Fang/Lightning/Hope strategies, I'm going to use Snow and Sazh whether you like it or not.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone know a good combination of dress spheres for x-2? i have all of them except mascot but its a little overwhelming to have so many options and Im getting my rear end kicked in arena mode

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is it weird that I found XIII far more tolerable than XIII-2? I mean XIII-2 had the idea of cool collectable dress-up monsters, but Noel, Caius and Yeul were such poor characters that Serah, an already mediocre character, couldn't save the plot. This despite the fact that Comepetent Hope and Time Travelling Snow were far better than their original incarnations.

At least as annoying as XIII was, I never had to use Hope again after Chapter 11. Screw all the people with their optimal Fang/Lightning/Hope strategies, I'm going to use Snow and Sazh whether you like it or not.

I liked XIII loads more than XIII-2 , you're not alone.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i am glad that caius didnt get to go to paris

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

My favorite questline is the missing dad story in the wildlands.

That is one of the most bizarrely dark-humor things a FF game has ever done.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Noel was the saving grace of XIII-2 for me. A Dying World is the only part of the game I'd say was legit well-done.

Serah was kinda just whatever.

But, yes, XIII having a full cast of characters makes it a better game simply by virtue of having greater odds you will find people you like and get attached to them. Since XIII-2 cut your choices down to two, I ended up liking almost no one.

Which is why I'm worried about LR and so skeptical that it's super-amazing. It's Lightning and only Lightning, the character I have hated ever since XIII and who I hate even more because of XIII-2's obsessive attempts to make me give a poo poo about her.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

You're wasting your time, nobody here cares about FFXV, FF8, FF10, and FF13 are where it's at. :c00l:

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Oh my god I almost forgot about the sigil minigames in FFX :negative:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
still think the chocobo racing one is pretty dang stupid and should have been adjusted in the remaster

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

In Training posted:

I like everything about t and put it on par with X-2 in my tier list.

It's real good but X-2 is like, nearly perfect

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you know i thought i was being hyperbolic but now that i think about it X-2 really is almost perfect for me, like the only FF's that i can think of I like better is FFT and Bravely Default

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FFX-2 is really good and one of the best in the gameplay department.

I've been playing a lot of Theatrhythm lately and it just makes me realize how much I hated the FF13 series score. Most of the songs sound super similar and are just kind of boring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

x-2 is also one of the best in the plot department

its story makes sense, does what it needs to, and is actually about something

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Armitage posted:

still think the chocobo racing one is pretty dang stupid and should have been adjusted in the remaster
Through some form of Stockholm Syndrome I would have been slightly disappointed. The first time I ever did it took like 2 or 3 hours, but now I can reliably do it in an hour of swearing at birds. For all the swearing at birds I come out at the end of the hour with a slightly fuzzy memory and some sort of feeling related to enjoyment.

Thinking about it, Stockholm Syndrome, a slightly fuzzy memory, and some sort of feeling related to enjoyment describes a lot of my favorite Final Fantasy experiences.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I skip all the cutscenes in FF games if I can

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a shame that outside of like this and the RPG thread people still laugh and kind of look at you funny when you say X-2 is your favourite.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

zedprime posted:

Through some form of Stockholm Syndrome I would have been slightly disappointed. The first time I ever did it took like 2 or 3 hours, but now I can reliably do it in an hour of swearing at birds. For all the swearing at birds I come out at the end of the hour with a slightly fuzzy memory and some sort of feeling related to enjoyment.

Thinking about it, Stockholm Syndrome, a slightly fuzzy memory, and some sort of feeling related to enjoyment describes a lot of my favorite Final Fantasy experiences.

My experience with that dumb mini game: *doo doo doo* ah I am doing good with the balloons yaaaay *chocobo jumps in front of bird despite not being near a invisible boundary* gently caress YOU

FFX-2 is fun but I'd say it easily has the hardest superbosses in the series. Although I hear there's a monster combo that trivializes them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a shame that outside of like this and the RPG thread people still laugh and kind of look at you funny when you say X-2 is your favourite.
girls have cooties

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

girls have cooties

Except the game is about dressing up three girls in slutty outfits and then having them in a hot spring and them massaging a woman to the point of orgasm for no reason.

X-2 is a game that can easily be dismissed as a game for boys or girls. Which I guess means it's for everyone.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Harlock posted:

I've been playing a lot of Theatrhythm lately and it just makes me realize how much I hated the FF13 series score. Most of the songs sound super similar and are just kind of boring.
13's soundtrack is kind of just there when taken out of context but I have fond memories of it matching the mood of the visuals really well.

You also get to listen to the best smooth jazz while a black man and an australian kill a rare breeding pair of an endangered species
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF0ibg01rxw

Also every time the orchestra and choir comes out means the silliest things are happening.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's really easy to reduce a game to shallow characteristics you deem it has to make an argument.

For instance: The game is about your emo main character going into space to fight a pincushion.

The game is about your main character being a furry and dbz.

The game plays itself and has no mechanical depth.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harlock posted:

I really like the battle/boss themes in the XIII games (And XIII-2 has cool weird stuff like Limit Break/Crazy Chocobo that they'd never put in a main FF because nerds freak out when Final Fantasy music isn't orchestrated I guess)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Except the game is about dressing up three girls in slutty outfits and then having them in a hot spring and them massaging a woman to the point of orgasm for no reason.

X-2 is a game that can easily be dismissed as a game for boys or girls. Which I guess means it's for everyone.
ff1 is about a time loop that makes no sense
ff2 is about a guy loving a snake
ff3 is about frogs
ff4 is about an australian lady beating people up with a frying pan
ff5 is about a crossdresser getting molested
ff6 is about a guy who wants to kidnap an opera singer for undisclosed but probably sexual reasons
ff7 is about a crossdresser getting molested, also
ff8 is about trains
ff9 is about goku pissing on a moogle
ff10 is about weird frog people with mildly racist accents
ff11 is about the developers refusing to let you win
ff12 is about han solo wanting to gently caress chewbacca
ff13 is about how lightning can't create, it can only destroy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every ff game has dumb, possibly creepy bullshit, but for some reason X-2 is the only one where that completely invalidates it and removes any merit it might have

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Most of X-2's outfits don't even feel remotely "slutty" at all imo. The worst just feel cheesecake eye rollingly dumb.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

It's really easy to reduce a game to shallow characteristics you deem it has to make an argument.

For instance: The game is about your emo main character going into space to fight a pincushion.

The game is about your main character being a furry and dbz.

The game plays itself and has no mechanical depth.

But X-2 is a shallow game and the people who made it clearly intended it to be as such. It's a much less serious game than X and I think Rikku stands as a perfect example of the mindset that went in to X and the mindset that went into X-2. In X, she's probably the most reasonable, level-headed of the "perky girl" types that are in most FF games. She might in fact be the smartest character in the party next to Auron.

X-2? "Poopie!" She has been deducted IQ Points in order to better fit in with the Powerpuff Girls dynamic they wanted. Paine is the more masculine quiet one, Yuna is the moderate one and Rikku has to be a drug-addicted lhyperactive loon.

Then there's the lazy animations, the wholesale recycled environments, the wholesale recycled enemies (my favorite being the enemies you fought under water in X but now you fight on land...but they float and swim in the air) and many other issues.

I don't hate the game at all but It has a lot of problems. The shallow story and fanservice aren't part of those problems for me but I can see why they would be for others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the story in X-2 is one of the deepest in the series if you actually pay attention to it, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yes, how dare the game in the same setting use the same environments, how lazy. :rolleyes: