Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Luckily it's very easy to buy them online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The online ordering is not the problem/solution, as I understand it it's straight up illegal to receive delivery/register a car in some areas if it didn't go through a dealership.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, AIUI you have to take delivery in a neighboring state and then register it in the protectionist one as an "import". You don't have to go out there to do the purchase, just to pick up.

http://my.teslamotors.com/it_IT/forum/forums/model-s-purchase-guide-texas is old, but I think the model still holds.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That's... amazingly dumb, is there a reason for that sort of law?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dealer protectionism, nothing but.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, the dealership lobby is a lot more powerful than most people realize. Also, it exists, which most people probably don't realize. Probably 1/3 of the major dealerships in this state are owned by one of the richest families around here, the same folks that own the Jazz, a movie theater chain, raceway, a AAA baseball team, a tv station, etc. They've got some pull.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godholio posted:

Yeah, the dealership lobby is a lot more powerful than most people realize. Also, it exists, which most people probably don't realize. Probably 1/3 of the major dealerships in this state are owned by one of the richest families around here, the same folks that own the Jazz, a movie theater chain, raceway, a AAA baseball team, a tv station, etc. They've got some pull.

Fuckers are closing the raceway though :argh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah. :( Hopefully someone else will buy it, but I don't have a clue who would.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Dealer protectionism, nothing but.

Hah I should have realized dealers had moneypolitical clout, of loving course they do

Apartment managers got back to me. Shockingly, they said they WOULD let me hire an electrician to wire up 220v in the garage if I got an electric. So there's a bonus for a couple years from now :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In California the landlord is required to let you install a charger at your own expense. I've been trying to get my landlord to give me permission, because I don't really want it to be a LEGAL THING, but the property manager doesn't seem to understand "I'm going to make a capital improvement to the property on my own dime", so he's playing defense.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ciaphas posted:

I went and test drove a '15 LEAF (that's an acronym? Huh.) today, first time I've been in an electric (not even been in a hybrid before). I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the driving experience; I guess the instant torque of an electric motor and direct transmission makes the difference for my style of driving. Brakes didn't feel mushy, like I was told to expect for an electric/hybrid, either--or at least not different enough from my current car ('14 Mazda 3 if anyone cares) for me to notice. Surprised at how much passing power it had--only took a couple seconds to get from 65 to 75 or whatever to pass on the highway, and it easily passed the "Can this car get to highway speed by the end of a short merge lane e.g. the 215W/Eastern entrance" test despite my fears of cheaper electric cars being gutless after 45mph.

Two years for my lease to expire can't pass soon enough now :(

Did you try testing a VW E-Golf? I was totally set on getting a Leaf, then test drove the E-Golf, and immediately realized that it was better than the Leaf in every way imaginable except I guess the infotainment. Interior miles better, stock feature package way better, insanely good audio system, drives significantly better, has a range of adaptive braking options that you set via a real stick, not a feminine knob thing (?)... I could go on.

I'm unsure at this point why people would get a new Leaf over the E-Golf.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Taima posted:

Did you try testing a VW E-Golf? I was totally set on getting a Leaf, then test drove the E-Golf, and immediately realized that it was better than the Leaf in every way imaginable except I guess the infotainment. Interior miles better, stock feature package way better, insanely good audio system, drives significantly better, has a range of adaptive braking options that you set via a real stick, not a feminine knob thing (?)... I could go on.

I wanted to but there isn't a single one in inventory in Las Vegas :(. I just wanted to see what driving an electric was like in general compared to an ICE, so really anything would have done.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Subjunctive posted:

In California the landlord is required to let you install a charger at your own expense. I've been trying to get my landlord to give me permission, because I don't really want it to be a LEGAL THING, but the property manager doesn't seem to understand "I'm going to make a capital improvement to the property on my own dime", so he's playing defense.

The depth of people's ignorance amazes me just as often as I'm surprised by people's goodwill.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Taima posted:

With the amount of electrical problems a normal VW has, the idea of an all-electric one is loving horrifying.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Why are you guys going through the trouble of setting the charging timer? Isn't the electricity cost of an electric car only something like a couple bucks per charge?

Does somebody who is willing to pay the premium on buying an electric car really care about a $20 a month or whatever savings due to buying cheaper electricity?

It can add up to quite a bit. The Leaf has a 24 KwH battery pack, and I've had multiple times recently where I had to drive it down to where it just says "---" on the guessometer. Summer rates have hit, and the difference between overnight and super on peak rates is 35 cents per kilowatt hour. Not even taking into account charging inefficiencies, it would be an $8.40 premium to fully charge during peak times, whereas it only costs a couple bucks total if done on overnight rates. That can add up to quite a bit.

This doesn't even take into account being a responsible citizen or being a good steward of the electrical grid you have access to, which is important to me, personally. Which is why I am happy I also managed to talk my landlord into letting Elon Musk put his icy tendrils on my roof and his cronies are coming out tomorrow to scope it out :toot:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boten Anna posted:

Which is why I am happy I also managed to talk my landlord into letting Elon Musk put his icy tendrils on my roof and his cronies are coming out tomorrow to scope it out :toot:

Are you talking about solar cells (icy tendrils? huh?)? If you really are into solar cells, don't you want to use more electricity during the day to create more of a demand for solar energy?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I think he means solar on the roof, and one of the new Tesla Powerwall battery packs. Certainly would be a good pairing for an EV!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Which is why I am happy I also managed to talk my landlord into letting Elon Musk put his icy tendrils on my roof and his cronies are coming out tomorrow to scope it out :toot:

Wait what? Are you getting solar and a Tesla pack installed in a rental???

And yeah, anyways, it costs up to 4x as much to charge the car during the day as it does at night (in Silicon Valley area at least). I did the math at some point and in general, charging during the day increases the cost of charging to about what it would cost to fill the car with gasoline. Compare that to charging overnight, which in my case costs me $4.00 a week for a 40 minute commute 5 days a week plus incidental driving on top of that (so like $5-6 a week total, or $20-25 a month). It would be more like $70-100 a month just charging willy nilly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do those Tesla Powerwall thingies even have any real use outside of a solar home?

(edit) I guess it could charge at night from the grid and release during the day :downs:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you run A/C during the day and have TOU billing, I could imagine it helping a lot. Or if your power is flaky.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Nah I just meant solar panels, through Solar City. Went with them in large part because of the PPA option to pay nothing but for the KWH it generates, as well as the possibility of doing the battery pack when it becomes available, which is obviously going to be through Solar City first.

Our electric bill is outrageous in general, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Could you elaborate on why you would put solar on a rented home?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The landlord wanted to add solar panels as a capital improvement and I wanted a cheaper electricity bill. I'm not paying for poo poo other than the electricity it generates and apparently neither is the landlord. See: http://www.solarcity.com/residential/solar-ppa

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

The landlord wanted to add solar panels as a capital improvement and I wanted a cheaper electricity bill. I'm not paying for poo poo other than the electricity it generates and apparently neither is the landlord. See: http://www.solarcity.com/residential/solar-ppa

That is awesome! Very jealous that you worked that out, what a landlord.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Wait am I reading that wrong? they'll literally just let you (the landlord, rather) have the solars for completely free for five years?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Wait am I reading that wrong? they'll literally just let you (the landlord, rather) have the solars for completely free for five years?

Nope, they put up solar panels and just charge you for the electricity you use at 15c/kwh. The best part is you don't have to use the electricity direct from the panel, if you use 200kwh at night and none during the day and the panels generate 200kwh while you're not using electricity, you pay the cheaper rate for all the kilowatt hours, as they sell the excess back to the utility. There's options to convert it to a lease or buy it out if you want to, I believe.

They also generate more than I thought, like we use a shitton of electricity and according to their estimator it should cover most if not all of our usage. Guess we'll see how it pans out after they're up and running!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Subjunctive posted:

If you run A/C during the day and have TOU billing, I could imagine it helping a lot. Or if your power is flaky.

I'm seriously considering something like that in a few years as a house backup system. Our power tends to only go out during winter storms, thankfully for only a few hours at most. Once the house is heated with a ground source heat pump it'll be nice to have heat in those situations.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
It had to happen at some point:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It had to happen at some point:

I'm frankly amazed it took this long.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How many passengers can fit in there with it?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I'm really curious to know if they made it slower.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Advent Horizon posted:

I'm really curious to know if they made it slower.

I'd bet money on it being slower than a P85D.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I'd bet money on it being slower than a P85D.

What all's not slower than the P85D with Ludicrous Speed?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What all's not slower than the P90D with Ludicrous Speed?
P90D is still only fast as gently caress up to about 100mph, beyond that (supercar level) ICE wins.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

If they made it into a hybrid that would be more interesting.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ilkhan posted:

P90D is still only fast as gently caress up to about 100mph, beyond that (supercar level) ICE wins.

To be fair, it does depend on how you define 'fast'. I guess I was thinking more of 'quick', as the Tesla accelerates like a bat out of hell off the line, and I can't imagine that an ICE conversion could stay with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's no way they hooked this up to the front wheels, is there? Because that would be amazing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it was an elaborate prank/hoax/joke.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Software update available for my S, but I don't have 100 mins before I next drive. Is it the one?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Software update available for my S, but I don't have 100 mins before I next drive. Is it the one?!?

Looks like it's probably this one:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/211597-tesla-amps-up-model-s-self-driving-capabilities-with-firmware-update

• Locked thread