Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Otisburg posted:

Hm, yes, turns out I can't make a muscle wizard in heavy armor. How terribly conventional.

Frostgrave, you have failed me.

Unless I read it wrong as you level you can choose to upgrade any stat. Therefore you can boost your wizards fight and armor scores and choose spells to make him fight better.

Dicebaglady dice bags look amazing and I want a cygnar or trollblood one so bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

muskets posted:

Brigade Games are the US stockists - they seem to have stock at $35 a box.

Anyone ordered from them before? I'm a little gunshy with online dealers.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The Dice Bag Lady sends them to the US at about $35 shipped and she's posting here so I guess that's about as on the level as you get.

I've been on the fence about getting a Frostgrave box set, and after seeing TDBL sign up here and sell them with the Statuesque heads I'll give it a shot. I really support what you do.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Otisburg posted:

Hm, yes, turns out I can't make a muscle wizard in heavy armor. How terribly conventional.

Frostgrave, you have failed me.

I think a lot of the spells are purposely kinda vague so you can reskin them as you choose. So maybe an elementalist would be a good start and instead of fire/ice/earth, your element is muscles. Instead of Elemental bolt, you punch so hard it hits people across the room. Scatter shot is like that Zangief spinning lariat move.

Trust in Frostgrave and it will never fail you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Oathed 3 Reaper minis for Frostgrave in the Oath Thread, and the Apprentice is just about complete:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm not that experienced at painting people so I might just make a warband of slimes with weapons stuck in them.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Does this weapon/soldier seem reasonable to you guys?

Skirmishing Weapons (javelins, throwing axes, pistols, whatever)
Damage Modifier +1
load and fire as a single action, 12" maximum range

Skirmisher - 80 GC
Move 7
Fight +2
Shoot +2
Armor 11
Will +0
Health 12
Notes: Skirmishing Weapon, Hand Weapon, Leather Armor

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Sulecrist posted:

Does this weapon/soldier seem reasonable to you guys?

Skirmishing Weapons (javelins, throwing axes, pistols, whatever)
Damage Modifier +1
load and fire as a single action, 12" maximum range

Skirmisher - 80 GC
Move 7
Fight +2
Shoot +2
Armor 11
Will +0
Health 12
Notes: Skirmishing Weapon, Hand Weapon, Leather Armor

That's a pretty cool idea and the Will +0 offsets the +1 modifier I guess. The tracker has a bow and staff and has +1 Will and is also 80GC.

OP can you add this to the second post as "warband creator"": http://www.battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

I'm probably just dumb but I can't find the actual rules for what the "Large" qualifier does to a creature in the bestiary.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Played my first game last night. Used a summoner warband. My apprentice summoned a demon (with a 1) that preceded to eat my apprentice, an archer, and a thug, before my one-legged thug killed the demon, a wandering construct, and an enemy Templar. Then my one-legged thug carried off the treasure dropped by the enemy apprentice (who was killed by my wizard's bone shard spell).

gently caress, but this game is brutal. And fun. We played the Keep scenario, so folks were teleporting all over.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

KuangMkV posted:

I'm probably just dumb but I can't find the actual rules for what the "Large" qualifier does to a creature in the bestiary.

I had that same problem. All I could find about it was that people shooting at it get +2. I forget where the rule was exactly. Probably the shooting section. The book suffers from lack of an index.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It's under the "Modifiers to Shooting" table - I don't have the page number handy. Also, "Large" affects your chances of casting a spell to create a construct (Large constructs are -6, or something like that.)

Regarding an index, usually I'm a big proponent of them, but since the rules only take up an extremely small portion of the book, I'm not sure it's 100% necessary (though it would make things a little quicker.) I'm going to send Universal Head an email and ask if they have any plans to do a quick reference up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you don't have an index, I feel like a reference sheet is a necessity. I am probably just Stockholmed from playing GW games so long, but having a sheet with modifier summaries and everything included to glance at is very helpful.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Ashcans posted:

If you don't have an index, I feel like a reference sheet is a necessity. I am probably just Stockholmed from playing GW games so long, but having a sheet with modifier summaries and everything included to glance at is very helpful.

There is one on the forum the writer uses.

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80828.0

It has something weird in there about how Fight should be used instead of Armour for Shooting attacks, but Armour isn't used like that anyway.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My warband grows

McDeath's Crazed Caledonian Commandos

I'm so happy.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope the one with the caber is an archer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Electric Hobo posted:

I hope the one with the caber is an archer.

Nah, the Shot Putter is the archer, a only the Crossbow is worthy of a caber. :v:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The two broken bottles guy if my favorite.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just ordered some of Germ's cool circular insert area terrain and walls. Should be nice for this and WMH.

For now I'm going to go with Dave Graffam's PDFs printed on cardstock to populate most of my buildings to fill the table up cheap, but slowly I'll start swapping in plastic/resin.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My Frostgrave warband WIP. I color-code my guys because I tend to get confused when they're all on the board, especially when my usual two opponents use guys from the same box of dudes. Thieves have orange pants, archers green. The box I used had no bows in it, so my bows=javelins. Next up, thugs. I think they will have purple pantalones.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

The Dregs posted:

My Frostgrave warband WIP. I color-code my guys because I tend to get confused when they're all on the board, especially when my usual two opponents use guys from the same box of dudes. Thieves have orange pants, archers green. The box I used had no bows in it, so my bows=javelins. Next up, thugs. I think they will have purple pantalones.

Nice WIP, would love to know how it turns out.

Because I'm easily amused and because that picture made me think of this: http://www.uni-watch.com/2008/02/26/wfl-wtf/

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

enrious posted:

Nice WIP, would love to know how it turns out.

Because I'm easily amused and because that picture made me think of this: http://www.uni-watch.com/2008/02/26/wfl-wtf/

Way ahead of their time IMO.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Having a discussion with my local group about the crit rule. I think it sucks. D20 is swingy a hell already, and most warband members die to a 20 anyway. Crits are just there for slaying your wizard and 100 gold characters.

(Edit)
A little update. My son wanted an Attack on Titan large construct. Normally I try to discourage the animes, but I caved on this one. Not sure what to do about his dangly bit yet. Added Braveheart tats to some of the boys.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 9, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Dregs posted:

Having a discussion with my local group about the crit rule. I think it sucks. D20 is swingy a hell already, and most warband members die to a 20 anyway. Crits are just there for slaying your wizard and 100 gold characters.

Yeah the crit rule is way too swingy since it sewms to auto-dead virtually everything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Crit rule is optional, isn't it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It is, and should be opted out of.

I have read through the rules, and like it. It's light and breezy enough to "stay out of the way" and teach easily, but enough meat to probably make for a satisfying campaign. Some people will probably be carehavers about it not having specific rules for elfs or dwarfs or dark elves or whatever, but I like that you can just have your warband be dwarfs and the rules are light enough that it doesn't really make a huge diff and I'll still know what everything does when I fight your short mans.

There are a few niggling things that kind of speak to the single-author sort of old school of design plain-text "make something up" not-keyworded or top-down organized which rubs me the wrong way: just as an example for Explosive Rune I can't seem to figure out how big the rune should be? A single point on the table? A 25mm base? A foot in diameter? It's not Forge Your Own Narrative Because We Can't Be Arsed level but it's irritating.

I'm currently sorting my Reaper Bones minis into two forces so I have a loaner to start trying to get people hooked and make this a thing at my FLGS which already boasts a pretty good Mordheim scene so I can skeeve off their terrain.

Gonna do Necromancers for my dudes because Necromancers are a total classic and I got some great Bones for Wizard, Apprentice, and sinister henchmen, and Sigilists for the opfor because my big pile of unused bones has a perfect sigilist Wizard and Apprentice:

E:

thespaceinvader posted:

Dude if that's your necromancer you're not even trying.

This guy is your necromancer http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones%20axe/latest/77151#detail/77151_w_1

That guy is totally my necromancer, the dudes I linked are sigilists.

I'm having trouble figuring out what do do for my Necromancer Apprentice, probably one of the sexy Necromancer Bitches. I definitely need to use the gravedigger guy as something, too. Either just a Thug, or more appropriately a "treasure hunter."

Also thinking Imp for his Summoner spell, with this guy:
:3:

E2:
I really wanted to do the OpFor as Cleric/Paladin themedThurmaturgists because this guy owns so hard, but I couldn't find a good apprentice:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 9, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Dude if that's your necromancer you're not even trying.

This guy is your necromancer http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones%20axe/latest/77151#detail/77151_w_1

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Since I'm a raving maniac, and since a local store had foolishly ordered one of the insanely huge and overpriced Union Heavy Rail sets from WWX and found it sitting on the shelves gathering dust...I've decided to put together a warband based on the Corbetite Order of monks from Girl Genius.

If you haven't read the comic, that's an order of nominally-Christian steamtech monks who run the setting's railway system and consider their trains as a holy sanctuary. It's a little ahead of the "standard" Frostgrave time period, but they don't use firearms much and otherwise fit right in. It helps that I have the wizard and apprentice/engineer dudes from a WHFB Celestial Hurricanum kicking around. All three are wearing long robes, have shaven heads, and wear a prominent wheel symbol on their chests. That's my wizard and some of his lads right there.

Now all I need to do is think up some suitably train-based martial arts for kicking unbelievers right in the knuckle coupling, and put together an order from Reaper...actually I've had a harder time than I thought finding decent monks. Any recommendations? Preferably plastic so I can fiddle with weapons, lanterns and so on. I like the thought of surveyors-militant with telescope "maces" and battle-theolodites.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's a good option for Mordheim-style weapon/accessory sprues that :siren:don't give GW money:siren:? I like WYSIWYG and want to pop a crossbow or dagger on to my mans here or there.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Fireforge has some good looking sets. I especially like their templar infantry and their steppe warrior for Frostgrave because they both look bundled up for the cold.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Otisburg posted:

What's a good option for Mordheim-style weapon/accessory sprues that :siren:don't give GW money:siren:? I like WYSIWYG and want to pop a crossbow or dagger on to my mans here or there.

Buttload of 'em here. http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Conversions/latest

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

My war band in progress. Witch, thief, and frost toad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That Frost toad is total :3:

Germ, you have impressed me already before I even got my resin terrain bits and bobs from you. I groused a little at the shipping to myself but paid it. To my suprise I got a Paypal refund without even asking for it when your cost ended up being less, even though you could have kept it without me having another thought about it. As long as the terrain is good quality when it arrives that alone earns you my repeat business. You're a mensch.

E: Hey thread, have an old trick for occasionally scoring decent terrain on the cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+ornament+ruins

Not much going on there but occasionally worth popping in to discount or thrift stores for same...

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 10, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The Frostgrave Facebook Page posted:

Played my first real game tonight, with three players. I played a Necromancer, one guy played a Summoner (summoning Cthulian monstrosities), and another played a Sigilist. We had a great time, but one player's comment gave me pause. He said, "I don't like the game, I like playing the game with you guys." We were having a really good time, but he thought the game itself was flat. He said he'd play it again, because he enjoys having a good time, but he thought the rules were weak. He particularly didn't like how I had an archer in turn one take down a barbarian with one shot. He thought the weapons didn't really matter, that Archers reign supreme, and that everything was too swingy with a d20. Has anyone seen any way to fix some of these issues?

Opinions?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sounds like he's salty about losing that barbarian, but on equal die rolls, even out in the open with the archer standing still, the barbarian is missed by the archer, unless I'm misreading the rules? SHOOT vs FIGHT, right, and all of the possible modifiers seem to favor the defender.

Even on a nat 20 the Barbarian still has 2 HP left, unless you're using the optional crit rules (which seem like an option to avoid.)

Also curious how dense the terrain was on the table for the barbarian to use. I think at least twice it's called out in the rulebook that yeah missile weapons shoot two feet, but you should never have that much daylight in a normal set up.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Otisburg posted:

Sounds like he's salty about losing that barbarian, but on equal die rolls, even out in the open with the archer standing still, the barbarian is missed by the archer, unless I'm misreading the rules? SHOOT vs FIGHT, right, and all of the possible modifiers seem to favor the defender.

Even on a nat 20 the Barbarian still has 2 HP left, unless you're using the optional crit rules (which seem like an option to avoid.)

Also curious how dense the terrain was on the table for the barbarian to use. I think at least twice it's called out in the rulebook that yeah missile weapons shoot two feet, but you should never have that much daylight in a normal set up.

This was my thought. People never seem to use enough terrain and what little they have, they don't use for cover choosing instead to charge ahead.

Looked at the images associated with the post.

The edges of the board have tall buildings making the middle of the board an even worse killing ground due to the snipers you could put everywhere.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Indolent Bastard posted:

This was my thought. People never seem to use enough terrain and what little they have, they don't use for cover choosing instead to charge ahead.

Looked at the images associated with the post.

The edges of the board have tall buildings making the middle of the board an even worse killing ground due to the snipers you could put everywhere.
That is literally the worst possible way to arrange terrain for a skirmish, but everyone seems to instinctively do it. Do rulebooks need a full page of DO NOT SURROUND THE BOARD WITH COVER? If you want a central arena, stick the death walls further in so at least people can come around the back and shank the snipers easily.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Yeah at least Infinity has a section of the rules to tell you to BLOCK LINES OF SIGHT GUYS!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Another thought: I'll have to review the treasure placement rules, but the race to get treasure off the board should in theory punish a strategy that skews too hard towards ranged attackers. I'm picturing a squad that has a good mix of ranged, tough guys, and "runners" like the thief/treasure hunter/etc sneaking around corners and making off with treasure while Sniper McCrossbowsquad stands around with their dicks in their hands maybe plinking a few guys down but not really coming home any the richer for it.

I really need to get this thing on the table and played.

E: Reaper seems to have a policy that only Dwarves and Skellingtons use crossbows, and very few of them at that.

Gonna have to bite the bullet and pick up the official Frostgrave Mans. Not that it's a bad deal. By the standards of these things it's a fair price for that many mans and interchangeable sprue kit guys are always fun. Plus you know supporting a good and cool game.

E2: Musing about Dead Barbarian Salt: Might be best strategically for campaign play to spam 20-50GC guys until you rack up some treasure to really add to the punch of/protect/deliver the 100 GC elite troops. There's some like cloak or w/e that makes you ridic hard to hit with arrows/bolts right?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Otisburg posted:

Another thought: I'll have to review the treasure placement rules, but the race to get treasure off the board should in theory punish a strategy that skews too hard towards ranged attackers. I'm picturing a squad that has a good mix of ranged, tough guys, and "runners" like the thief/treasure hunter/etc sneaking around corners and making off with treasure while Sniper McCrossbowsquad stands around with their dicks in their hands maybe plinking a few guys down but not really coming home any the richer for it.

I really need to get this thing on the table and played.

E: Reaper seems to have a policy that only Dwarves and Skellingtons use crossbows, and very few of them at that.

Gonna have to bite the bullet and pick up the official Frostgrave Mans. Not that it's a bad deal. By the standards of these things it's a fair price for that many mans and interchangeable sprue kit guys are always fun. Plus you know supporting a good and cool game.

E2: Musing about Dead Barbarian Salt: Might be best strategically for campaign play to spam 20-50GC guys until you rack up some treasure to really add to the punch of/protect/deliver the 100 GC elite troops. There's some like cloak or w/e that makes you ridic hard to hit with arrows/bolts right?

Use something else to represent crossbows. Javelins are good, if no one else in your force is using spears. So are guns (blunderbusses or matchlocks or whatever), if your other dudes are using bows.