Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Desiderata posted:

Man I wish the game had a non-toggle key binding for half-rudder.
A and D manual rudder for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are the Ibuki's shells slower than the Mogami's? I can't seem to hit things nearly as well.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Are the Ibuki's shells slower than the Mogami's? I can't seem to hit things nearly as well.

If you're using the 203s, the velocity should be the same (it's the same exact gun). Not sure about 155s vs 203s though. The Zao's 203s absolutely do have a higher velocity than the preceding ships' though. Different gun.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

cock hero flux posted:

Which lines are fun to play are kind of subjective although all of the Japanese lines except destroyers have at least one ship early on that is complete garbage that you will have to claw your way through to reach the fun ships.
Good info. Any ships in particular that stand out (positively). The St Louis at tier 3 I found already, but what else do I have to look forward to?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nektu posted:

Good info. Any ships in particular that stand out (positively). The St Louis at tier 3 I found already, but what else do I have to look forward to?

The Kuma is a very solid light cruiser with a nice torpedo surprise and decent guns and agility. The Phoenix is the American version and once you unlearn the St. Louis style of 'Cruisers are a light battle ship' it's a nice harasser that leads to the superior Omaha. I really enjoy the Clemson once you upgrade the guns to double-turrets for picking on Tenryus and other DDs while torpedoing people around islands.

The Wyoming is a really solid intro to BBs.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

What's the goonsensus on japanese destroyers? I've got me the level 5 Minekaze, which seems ok. How are the higher tiers?

I am the destroyer man, and I say that they are good.

The Minekaze should be op as hell when fully upgraded. Its the fastest, it reloads torpedoes very quickly, and it has bullshit concealment. At tier 5, battleships are not really good enough to blow you out of the water, so you can pull off insanely stupid torpedo runs.

Mutsuki and Hatsuharu are pretty mediocre, but they get range and damage upgrades for their torpedoes. You need to start learning how to lead torpedoes, how to stay concealed, and how to position yourself for the best spreads.

Fubuki gets 9 torpedo tubes, but they're an uncomfortable compromise between range and speed. 20km torpedoes can be useful, but any player can dodge them at the speed they travel. Fubuki only goes 35 knots, which is quite slow now for destroyers.

Kagero gets 4x2 tubes, which reload like rear end, but gets upgraded torpedoes that run fast and long. You can make inescapable spreads. Still slow.

Shimakaze is a glorious 40 knot machine that carries 15 torpedoes. It's great fun, but at this point you don't really carry games. It's also probably absurdly expensive now.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I am the destroyer man, and I say that they are good.

The Minekaze should be op as hell when fully upgraded. Its the fastest, it reloads torpedoes very quickly, and it has bullshit concealment. At tier 5, battleships are not really good enough to blow you out of the water, so you can pull off insanely stupid torpedo runs.

Mutsuki and Hatsuharu are pretty mediocre, but they get range and damage upgrades for their torpedoes. You need to start learning how to lead torpedoes, how to stay concealed, and how to position yourself for the best spreads.

Fubuki gets 9 torpedo tubes, but they're an uncomfortable compromise between range and speed. 20km torpedoes can be useful, but any player can dodge them at the speed they travel. Fubuki only goes 35 knots, which is quite slow now for destroyers.

Kagero gets 4x2 tubes, which reload like rear end, but gets upgraded torpedoes that run fast and long. You can make inescapable spreads. Still slow.

Shimakaze is a glorious 40 knot machine that carries 15 torpedoes. It's great fun, but at this point you don't really carry games. It's also probably absurdly expensive now.

Hatsu has no range upgrades on torps, just a speed + damage one. Hatsu is when the IJN DDs start getting faster turning turrets. Don't take the AA hull upgrade, its pointless and you lose a turret for it. Mutsuki is pretty rear end compared to the tier before and after it.

Fubuki has the same upgraded Hatsu torps, and can trade away some torp speed for +5km range. It does not have 20km range, 15km if upgraded. You can opt to keep the 10km torps if you want to. I'm trying out the 15kms now to see just how useful they can be. The Fubuki's turret turn speed is the fastest in the IJN DD line, making it best suited for mixed aggression tactics. This is why the 15km torps may not actually be the preferred choice. It needs more testing from me, but will likely fall to preference.

Kagero/Shimakaze have the 20km torps, though Shimakaze can actually downgrade the range for more damage if it chooses. 67 knot torps are the fastest you'll see in the IJN line, and both ships have excellent tubes. The Kagero has incredibly high concealment when properly upgraded, and the Shimakaze is fast and has the Fubuki's turn speed on guns, making it decent in a gun fight.

You will quickly stop carrying games once you get into the Mutsuki, though. DDs trade off torpedo DPS for a deadlier alpha strike at T6 and upwards, which leads to big "feast or famine" binary game situations. You'll either land a big torp run and feel great, or miss all your torps all game long. Or there will be a CV in the game and you'll grow to hate them as much as I do.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Minekaze feels like a huge step down from the tier 4 DD. The guns might as well not even exist and torpedoes only work against bad players unless you get the drop on someone from < 2km away.

Speaking of torpedoes, one thing that I just noticed is that you should keep your mouse pointed at the same distance as your target ship instead of only worrying about the wedge. This will allow you to launch all your torpedoes instantly instead of having to wait for the 2nd and third launchers to line up.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Thronde posted:

To build on this, it's got great guns and AA, but the ship itself is made of paper. ClevelandsDestroyers can citadel it.
Fixed.

Panfilo posted:

Durability upgrades seem like kind of a waste. Temporarily having your AA or secondaries disabled isn't a big deal. Maybe guns on a ship with few turrets. Maybe someone could give a run down on all the different upgrades and give pros and cons to each.
AA guns and secondaries can be permanently knocked out. Sometimes I consider buying the AA gun survivability upgrade because back in CBT I once took so much fire in my North Carolina that my AA complement consisted of something like 3 Bofors and 2 Oerlikons, but I'm pretty sure those exposed guns are so weak they'll die anyway so I figure there's no real point.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I apologize for anything bad I've ever remotely even thought about the Kawachi. Because now I have the Myogi.

:smith:

Is the Atlanta a decent boat? I'm considering picking up one just for the sake of repping the hometown :D

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

wolfman101 posted:

Minekaze feels like a huge step down from the tier 4 DD. The guns might as well not even exist and torpedoes only work against bad players unless you get the drop on someone from < 2km away.

Speaking of torpedoes, one thing that I just noticed is that you should keep your mouse pointed at the same distance as your target ship instead of only worrying about the wedge. This will allow you to launch all your torpedoes instantly instead of having to wait for the 2nd and third launchers to line up.

Minekaze is invisible, forget the guns and just poo poo torps out from outside your detection range. It's still pretty hard to detect torps when they suddenly appear from no where, especially when you can make such a good a spread as the Minekaze can.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Razzled posted:

I apologize for anything bad I've ever remotely even thought about the Kawachi. Because now I have the Myogi.

Is the Atlanta a decent boat? I'm considering picking up one just for the sake of repping the hometown :D

The Atlanta is a very decent ship, especially now that pubbie short term memory has forgotten about when closed Beta opened and everyone was in one. They take a bit of getting use to but you can almost literally non stop ripple fire your guns, get the range and lead right and you will drop 30 shells on a BB in next to no time.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Razzled posted:

The Atlanta is not just a mere boat. It is destroyer of destroyer, death incarnate to planes.
You get a mixed bag. The ship itself is a bit like an oversized DD. It has just a tiny bit of armor, basically worthless, is quite can fast and can turn decently. On it's tier it will be citadel'd by everything.

However, you get a whopping 8 gun turrets, twin 5", on which you can bring 7 to bear on any side at any time. Literally, they turn in only a few seconds from one side to another. And you can shoot. Really loving fast. It's DPM is off the charts, it will annihilate destroyers under a barrage of shells and every ship that ignores it and gets into your range will be in a whole world of pain and suffering.

And, if you use islands as cover as you should do, you can even sneak up on battleships and have two quad torpedos on each side. While rather short ranged the offer good speed and decent damage, and a full 4 hit - which is easy at that distance - will sink almost any boat.

So yeah, if you like to play destroyers but think to yourself "This ship needs a whole lot more guns", the Atlanta is for you. It also prints money and shits XP since you can get a lot of damage in if you play it right.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I bought a Hosho to round out having done all the tier 4 ships. The squadrons being smaller is more than made up for by the layout you get. 1 fighter and 2 torp bombers is really potent for tier 4 - my Bogue is envious. Anyway, I thought I'd do the daily bonus round (I've only upgraded the torp bombers so far) and the matchmaker tossed me into a match with me on one side and a bogue plus a ryujo on the other. 2 enemy DDs came for me and I managed to kill both of them while running away - impossible in the lower US carriers due to 1) their lack of speed and 2) only one torp bomber. With 2 TB it's fairly easy to put down a pattern that nothing can escape being hit at least once.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Ive tried to get to like the furutaka. I've got all its equipment unlocked and mounted, taken the main battery, gunnery accuracy and steering upgrades and habitually take the paint job that fucks with the enemy accuracy.

Its poo poo. A giant steaming loving pile.

In another game where I was using my Kuma in order to farm free XP, two sorry bastards in furutakas tried to cap the flag I was prowling around. I felt like I was The Mountain vs Oberyn, smashing them to gently caress with ease.

Its made of shell-magnetic glass and fires once a month. That thing has no place in T5.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Michaellaneous posted:

The Atlanta is not just a mere boat. It is destroyer of destroyer, death incarnate to planes.
You get a mixed bag. The ship itself is a bit like an oversized DD. It has just a tiny bit of armor, basically worthless, is quite can fast and can turn decently. On it's tier it will be citadel'd by everything.

However, you get a whopping 8 gun turrets, twin 5", on which you can bring 7 to bear on any side at any time. Literally, they turn in only a few seconds from one side to another. And you can shoot. Really loving fast. It's DPM is off the charts, it will annihilate destroyers under a barrage of shells and every ship that ignores it and gets into your range will be in a whole world of pain and suffering.

And, if you use islands as cover as you should do, you can even sneak up on battleships and have two quad torpedos on each side. While rather short ranged the offer good speed and decent damage, and a full 4 hit - which is easy at that distance - will sink almost any boat.

So yeah, if you like to play destroyers but think to yourself "This ship needs a whole lot more guns", the Atlanta is for you. It also prints money and shits XP since you can get a lot of damage in if you play it right.

It sounds perfect. I am currently working up Japanese BBs because I love the whump of big guns even if torpedos are better at killing stuff. So a fast ship with poo poo tons of guns sounds right up my alley

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Correction you have one quad torpedo tube on each side.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Ive tried to get to like the furutaka. I've got all its equipment unlocked and mounted, taken the main battery, gunnery accuracy and steering upgrades and habitually take the paint job that fucks with the enemy accuracy.

Its poo poo. A giant steaming loving pile.

In another game where I was using my Kuma in order to farm free XP, two sorry bastards in furutakas tried to cap the flag I was prowling around. I felt like I was The Mountain vs Oberyn, smashing them to gently caress with ease.

Its made of shell-magnetic glass and fires once a month. That thing has no place in T5.

Is ramming someone a viable tactic for it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

s1ppycup posted:

If you're using the 203s, the velocity should be the same (it's the same exact gun). Not sure about 155s vs 203s though. The Zao's 203s absolutely do have a higher velocity than the preceding ships' though. Different gun.

Triple 155s is where it's at for the Mogami.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Is ramming someone a viable tactic for it?

Lol no you wont survive that long, even against DDs.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wolfman101 posted:

Torpedoes are best when their trajectory is perpendicular to the target at their arrival point. This means that you need to think about how your torps will be approaching the target from where you aimed them (generally, you should be in front of your target, parallel to them, but this is the ideal scenario, not always the one that occurs). You also have to predict how the target will manuever once torpedoes are sighted, so you can't just dump them all into the grey line and hope for the best. A bad thing the grey line does is if you fire torps in broadside with no delay, the torpedoes will follow each other with little deviation. You want to let the torpedoes drop at a tiny delay, and fan them out just the slightest bit. This layers the torpedoes into a wall of death, rather than 3 lines that can be threaded by an alert cruiser or DD. This also gives you a better chance of collateral hits, if a DD happens to pass in front of the torps or a ship is sailing behind your target, as torps will impact all over the target ship and it immediately slows when it dies, letting other torpedoes pass in front of it for more chances to hit.

Michaellaneous posted:

The Atlanta's ROF and turret turn speed is the same as the high tier US DDs. Except its got a fuckton more guns. And great AA. The Atlanta is a pretty cool boat.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The Furutaka is horrible. That said, every single other cruiser in the IJN line is great, so one stinker, however awful, isn't world ending.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

wolfman101 posted:

Go fast, go hard, use the 7km torps. The Minekaze is one of a kind.

wdarkk posted:

Triple 155s is where it's at for the Mogami.

Is this actually effective at tier 8 now? I find it hard to believe.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Yes, present Kuma broadsides to my 5" AP, and battleships to my torpedoes. Ị̭̞̩ͅ ̨̣̪̙͎͚̥̙Ḥ̘̱ͅU̧͔̘͕̠̳N̷̥̠̙̹̞̦G̵E̴̼̰̪R̥͙

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Basically you out range every other T8 cruiser, and fire and HE don't care about angle.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Hilariously. I've done 8k+ volleys with HE on the broadside of other cruisers like the Atago and it sets BBs on fire constantly. Destroyers don't have a chance with 15 shells screaming in every 7 seconds.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Go fast, go hard, use the 7km torps. The Minekaze is one of a kind.

The only downside to the Minekaze over the Isokaze is simply it sees higher tier ships that better suited to dealing with it. An Isokaze has a good chance being dropped into a game with a bunch of tier 3 and tier 4 ships, and those ships are probably going to have a bad time unless there is a good player in a Clemson. A Phoenix/Kuma is a close second, but those players tend to die fast if they are aggressive.
Dumping a Isokaze in a match and filling it full of battleships is a wonderful sight.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What's the way to fix Aslain's modpack that broke with the update? I changed the paths file to the new patch folder and moved the stuff over but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CitizenKain posted:

The only downside to the Minekaze over the Isokaze is simply it sees higher tier ships that better suited to dealing with it. An Isokaze has a good chance being dropped into a game with a bunch of tier 3 and tier 4 ships, and those ships are probably going to have a bad time unless there is a good player in a Clemson. A Phoenix/Kuma is a close second, but those players tend to die fast if they are aggressive.
Dumping a Isokaze in a match and filling it full of battleships is a wonderful sight.

The T4 event meant a lot of Kumas and Phoenixes lately, though, which are much, much harder for an Isokaze. Especially as any good captain is dodging around in them anyway, so even if you have the drop they're hard to torp.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Can someone post a tutorial for divebombers? I'm stuck in the Bogue and I cant get them to hit poo poo.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 4, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I get the feeling I'm missing something with this Kuma. It's got 4 guns, turns poorly, the torps would be nice, but it's slow and lumbering enough that getting within 7km is a lot harder than it would be with a good (minekaze) ship. And apparently the next one is everything that sucks about this bote but worse.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011
Can a Cleveland citadel another Cleveland? I haven't had any luck with that yet.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I get the feeling I'm missing something with this Kuma. It's got 4 guns, turns poorly, the torps would be nice, but it's slow and lumbering enough that getting within 7km is a lot harder than it would be with a good (minekaze) ship. And apparently the next one is everything that sucks about this bote but worse.

The torpedoes are for damaging anyone who tries to get close to you, or for ambushing pubs around islands. Shoot HE at battleships and destroyers. Kuma is a gun ship that happens to have decent torpedoes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

James Garfield posted:

The torpedoes are for damaging anyone who tries to get close to you, or for ambushing pubs around islands. Shoot HE at battleships and destroyers. Kuma is a gun ship that happens to have decent torpedoes.

But it's a gunship with four single barrel guns, with mediocre range and reload time, that you have to show your broadside to use them all. This does not compare to the phoenix. Like, at all.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Flippycunt posted:

Can someone post a tutorial for divebombers? I'm stuck in the Bogue and I cant get them to hit poo poo.
Pray to the number gods

I once had a DB squadron miss all six bombs on a manual drop somehow even though the circle was on top of and literally smaller than the ship I was attacking and I was just like "gently caress that"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

counterfeitsaint posted:

But it's a gunship with four single barrel guns, with mediocre range and reload time, that you have to show your broadside to use them all. This does not compare to the phoenix. Like, at all.

Are you thinking of the tier 3? Every Kuma hull has a six gun broadside with six second base reload and slightly greater range than Phoenix guns.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Um...I really don't know wtf, you're right. Maybe was in my minekaze and thought I was in the Kuma and trying to sail it like a cruiser? It's possible I am the literal worst at botes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Psychosis 01 posted:

Can a Cleveland citadel another Cleveland? I haven't had any luck with that yet.

Cleveland shells have ridiculously low penetration. I figure everybody just shoots a ton of HE.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

cheese posted:

Hilariously. I've done 8k+ volleys with HE on the broadside of other cruisers like the Atago and it sets BBs on fire constantly. Destroyers don't have a chance with 15 shells screaming in every 7 seconds.

The best is when Atlantas want to trade HE.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Cleveland shells have ridiculously low penetration. I figure everybody just shoots a ton of HE.

They can but you have to be really drat close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Important thing with the Tenryu/Kuma is you never want to the only ship in an area. People tunnel vision like mad in this game, show up behind other ships, wait for people to start on them, then engage. The 6 guns on the Kuma can lay out some really good damage if ignored. You can also harass DDs. Even if you have to limit your shots, don't turn broadside to someone.