Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bob Log posted:

So I went to Motorola's website to check out the Pure stuff and it let me do this;

The model # is for the 2nd gen, but it says Pure edition, it's just a bug with their site but they had me questioning my sanity for a second.

The model number, photo, and price are wrong unless you think you're going to get 64gb of ram for only 25 bucks more than the base model.

You're looking at the 2014 pure edition.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/31/moto-x-pure-edition-64gb/

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 4, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone got a trip report of the Galaxy S6 4 months in? My dad is considering getting one when he's due an upgrade at the end of September. He is currently on the 5S, and is ready for a change. Main thing he'll be looking for is nice smooth performance and better battery life.

Little late, but been using one since launch. No issues or slowdowns yet. The physical build quality is great.

I do itch for a nexus device sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the Samsung experience, just my own inner nerd.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Moey posted:

Little late, but been using one since launch. No issues or slowdowns yet. The physical build quality is great.

I do itch for a nexus device sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the Samsung experience, just my own inner nerd.

How's the battery life? My dad would be coming from an iPhone 5S and the power falls like a rock. Did you ever use previous Samsung phones? A work colleague has an S3 and I couldn't believe how sluggish it was. As in a 5+ second delay when switching between apps.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The Nexus specs look awesome, but having gotten very used to having a waterproof phone it seems to be missing the one critical feature I require for it to be perfect :(. Any indications as to it having a decent IP rating?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

There is always a big flaw with Nexus devices. Given those rumored specs I'm going with either made from dried play dough or will be OOS for 6 months with random and short lived back in stock flashes

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, so when you say the provider has to provision it, does that mean that it would still have to be a T-mobile provided phone, and therefore not a nexus?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, so when you say the provider has to provision it, does that mean that it would still have to be a T-mobile provided phone, and therefore not a nexus?

It would only work if the carrier supported it. So you could buy the M device and activate it on Sprint and/or T-Mobile and WiFi calling would work.

:phoneb::gizz::phone:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What is the point of wifi calling, is there anyone actually still on a plan that doesn't have unlimited minutes?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Syrinxx posted:

What is the point of wifi calling, is there anyone actually still on a plan that doesn't have unlimited minutes?

It's useful if you don't have signal in your remote bungalow or if you are on a carrier with poor indoor service like Sprint or T-Mobile.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Syrinxx posted:

If you're on Sprint, the point is call clarity.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141682785233
Am I missing something or is this an amazing price for this phone? Isn't it supposed to be $500?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's also helpful if you find yourself somewhere without coverage, but does have available wifi.

The actual solution is to get a better provider and stop using the T-Mobile nerd plan because it saves you a massive $15 over Cricket.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

It's also helpful if you find yourself somewhere without coverage, but does have available wifi.

Basically in a basement, then.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

You have more control over your WiFi strength in your house than you do cell reception. I can stick wireless routers all over the drat place if I want

Also works overseas for calling people in the US for no charge. Yeah yeah Google Voice but some people have trouble with the concept of you having two numbers in the year 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lavender Philtrum posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141682785233
Am I missing something or is this an amazing price for this phone? Isn't it supposed to be $500?

8 months old, was overpriced to begin with, probably hasn't held up well due to thinness being its gimmick (no headphone port?) and subpar performance (Snapdragon 615) and battery (2,000 mAh is pretty bad) and software (ColorOS).

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

8 months old, was overpriced to begin with, probably hasn't held up well due to thinness being its gimmick (no headphone port?) and subpar performance (Snapdragon 615) and battery (2,000 mAh is pretty bad) and software (ColorOS).

Hahaha, no headphone jack? Somehow I overlooked that. I guess they just expect you to use bluetooth all the time?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

This is probably true if you never travel at all. I got better signal in the mountains of Vietnam than I did in Lincoln, NE. Not even an exaggeration. T-Mobile's coverage is not great or non-existent in a lot of places in the US. Obviously, if you live in them you wouldn't get them as a provider, but if you travel there, not much else you can do.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Hahaha, no headphone jack? Somehow I overlooked that. I guess they just expect you to use bluetooth all the time?

The phone comes with an adapter to use the USB port as the headphone out. Fiddly as gently caress.

The 7A at the same price from that seller is probably a better deal but software support is probably going to be crap.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
How's the LG G4? I can get a pretty good deal on one at T Mobile (which I'm already on) and I like the idea of having a good smartphone camera for once.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Our townhome has almost no reception for AT&T or T-Mobile, we signed the lease without realizing that. My work also has no reception, and I have no choice about that building. I think our townhome is because we are literally 300 yards from the start of the mountains, it probably fucks with reception from any towers west of us.

E: So, to be clear, the new Nexus 5 would probably work on T-Mobile wifi calling despite not being a T-Mobile device? It doesn't matter too much for now, I'll have actual trip reports by the time I even think about buying it, but that does sound like pretty close to the ideal phone for me. It would be completely ideal if it was always listening.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Syrinxx posted:

Anyone using the ZenFone 2 with 4GB of RAM? Curious how the performance is and whether the Intel processor is much different than an ARM chip.

Yes, I've been using it since release. Processor is great. I don't do a ton of processor intensive tasks, but it flies. It basically feels as fast as I could ever hope for. I almost never see things fall out of memory, unsurprisingly. I've had zero issues with an Intel chip instead of an ARM chip, nor have I heard of anyone else having any issues (compatibility, etc.).

FistEnergy posted:

Re: Zenfone

From the reviews I've read, I think the processor doesn't make a huge difference and most people are better off with the base model. They both seem to have battery life issues though, plus poor build quality/buttons and a ton of unremovable bloatware. Basically it's a phone this thread would have loved in 2013, when checking spec boxes was all that mattered. Now I think more Android consumers are paying attention to the software experience and holistic execution, ala Apple.

Thus, buy the Moto G and don't worry about benchmarks. A few of our regular posters were ahead of the curve on this, but I think it's becoming more widespread thanks to high-profile missteps in various hardware/software aspects by Samsung, LG, OneTouch, and many of the budget device makers.

Battery life - Not great, unfortunately, and my only major complaint. Seems like about Nexus 5 levels. IE, don't expect to make it from waking to bedtime without charging most of the time.

"Bloatware" - Meh. There were about 5-6 apps that were obviously sponsored (try this game!, etc.) but were all uninstallable. There's 15 or so ASUS branded apps that are pretty much repeats of either Google apps (mail, calendar) or stuff that is better accomplished by 3rd party apps. Some of these can be uninstalled, I believe, but I use Nova Launcher so I just put them all in a folder in the drawer and ignore them.

Build quality - Zero complaints. Easily as good as my Moto G 2013.

I'd wait for the reviews of the Moto G personally. A lot will depend on its battery life, performance and camera. The ZF2 is about twice as fast in benchmarks as the Idol 3 which uses a Snapdragon 615. Assuming the Moto G's 410 is quite a bit slower than that there will be a pretty significant performance gap which may or may not affect you depending on usage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

This is probably true if you never travel at all. I got better signal in the mountains of Vietnam than I did in Lincoln, NE. Not even an exaggeration. T-Mobile's coverage is not great or non-existent in a lot of places in the US. Obviously, if you live in them you wouldn't get them as a provider, but if you travel there, not much else you can do.

Lincoln isn't really "travel" for anyone except folks showing up to get beat by the Huskers but in my experience my signal (albeit not T-Mo, because they barely cover major interstate routes and don't really get to be called a carrier in that context so much as an interstitial service provider) doesn't drop out unless there's a couple feet of cement in the way or I'm so far from civilization that there isn't anything other than weak voice signal and that's part of the plan. Unless they've been running WiFi along park trails and through camp sites there's not a lot of places where signal gaps aren't caused by structures and/or earth.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Stumpalitious posted:

How's the LG G4? I can get a pretty good deal on one at T Mobile (which I'm already on) and I like the idea of having a good smartphone camera for once.

I posted my impressions a few pages back. Long story short, definitely worth the T-Mobile price IMO for the camera alone, it bypasses the SD 810's overheating issues with comparable day to day performance, but the plastic build materials feel gross if that bugs you.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I done goofed and shattered my Note 4 screen. I'm probably going to pick up the new Moto X (comedy option: Oneplus Two) since the phone was slowly descending into sub-tier samsung phase.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Jacobus Spades posted:

I posted my impressions a few pages back. Long story short, definitely worth the T-Mobile price IMO for the camera alone, it bypasses the SD 810's overheating issues with comparable day to day performance, but the plastic build materials feel gross if that bugs you.

I currently own and use a 1st Gen Moto G so no, they obviously don't bug me. Good to know the rest of the phone is good, I'll probably swing by the T Mobile store tomorrow and snag one.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How's the battery life? My dad would be coming from an iPhone 5S and the power falls like a rock. Did you ever use previous Samsung phones? A work colleague has an S3 and I couldn't believe how sluggish it was. As in a 5+ second delay when switching between apps.

Came from an S4. Broke that about 3 months before the S6 came out. In the meantime I used a 5S.

Battery life is fine on the S6. If I am not laying on the couch actively draining the battery with a game, it lasts me all day without issue.

As someone else has said, switching from an iPhone to an android device may be a hangup. So keep that in mind.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

nimper posted:

It's useful if you don't have signal in your remote bungalow or if you are on a carrier with poor indoor service like Sprint or T-Mobile.
To be fair, Sprint's outdoor service is pretty poor as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yes, I've been using it since release. Processor is great...

Battery life - Not great

You do understand that the drawback to x86 vs ARM when it comes to a mobile device isn't the power but rather that x86 is so much less efficient? In other words it's the SoC (not only its architecture but its lovely modem) that is causing the poor battery life.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I'm now home from work. About ten hours later, with 2h 4m of screen on time with heavy-moderate use during lunch and after work (videos, taking pictures to test the camera, etc), I'm sitting at 62%. Pretty drat nice.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
And just like that Motorola no longer has LTE Band 12 for the Moto G 3rd Gen.

WHY? I simply wanted to test band 12 with tmobile to see if I get anything better here. UGH. Still a wonderful phone that I am switching to full time.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
TMO keeps making phone manufacturers disable Band 12 on their network if the device doesn't support VoLTE. Band 12 for data isn't good enough for them. They did it with the Moto E, they just did it to the Moto G, and they'll probably do it to the X Style too. The spec just disappears from the phone's page.

edit: band 12 on my TMO Z3 is quite nice. It's an annoying loss.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FistEnergy posted:

TMO keeps making phone manufacturers disable Band 12 on their network if the device doesn't support VoLTE. Band 12 for data isn't good enough for them. They did it with the Moto E, they just did it to the Moto G, and they'll probably do it to the X Style too. The spec just disappears from the phone's page.

edit: band 12 on my TMO Z3 is quite nice. It's an annoying loss.

T-Mobile in my area is mostly unusable due to me kinda being out in the boonies. Band 12 would be a HUGE bump for me and possibly push me to use their service over AT&T.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tmobile probably doesn't want to deal with the potential headache of someone having LTE data but no cell service and bitching to Tmobile about why they aren't getting their text or calls

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nmfree posted:

To be fair, Sprint's outdoor service is pretty poor as well.

MY WAIFU has Sprint and she hasn't really noticed any problems with outdoor service, but then again we live in Sprint HQ's backyard--northeast Kansas. Other markets are probably much more terrible.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so I finally stepped from a phone that was 2 generations old (note 2) to a newer phone that will soon be 1 generation old (Note edge).
With it came Android 5.1.1

I have 1 major issue (More of a peeve) that i'm trying to find an answer / solution to. The calendar widget is lacking my favorite option.
I really enjoyed the sizable / small calendar widget that was in 4.4.1 (Calendar 2x3), now my choices are a huge rear end monthly calendar, or a today.. I can't see what's going on for the next week.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

tater_salad posted:

so I finally stepped from a phone that was 2 generations old (note 2) to a newer phone that will soon be 1 generation old (Note edge).
With it came Android 5.1.1

I have 1 major issue (More of a peeve) that i'm trying to find an answer / solution to. The calendar widget is lacking my favorite option.
I really enjoyed the sizable / small calendar widget that was in 4.4.1 (Calendar 2x3), now my choices are a huge rear end monthly calendar, or a today.. I can't see what's going on for the next week.

Try Event Flow Calendar Widget, it's quite nice.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
What are goon thoughts on the LG 3G? I was all set to try and get in on a OP2, based on announcement hype, but then I sauntered in to this thread and thankfully saw the light. I dont want to go all in on a high priced phone, but I see that the 3G reviewed really well last year and is only 500 canadiana dollars. What are some other good options for 500 and under?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No band 12 is a huge disappointment to me as that was one of the reasons why I wanted to replace my wife's Nexus 5 (battery and SD card the other) :(

It's still a nice phone but there are now B12 towers up near me and there definitely are dead spots around Sacramento

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

WhyteRyce posted:

No band 12 is a huge disappointment to me as that was one of the reasons why I wanted to replace my wife's Nexus 5 (battery and SD card the other) :(

It's still a nice phone but there are now B12 towers up near me and there definitely are dead spots around Sacramento
Are you saying there are dead spots without B12 that get filled in when you have it? Coverage around Sac has been pretty good in my experience. Where in particular around Sac are you thinking?