Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

FeyerbrandX posted:

There's skill, and then there's skill versus skill, experience, superior equipment and mental conditioning.

Since he's actually sired now and he still has bargain basement equipment he obviously had less than that during the duel.

I like to think of it as Gameplay vs Story. I don't think Steiner or Zidane are as weak as they are at the start of the game, as Steiner has nearly two decades of experience in combat and training while Zidane is a seasoned thief. Steiner might be a buffoon, but he's a very driven buffoon.

But yea, even 15-20 years ago, Steiner winning a duel against someone many people speak of as being incredibly powerful has to be dumb luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are a few plot-related details about it but Vivi is essentially the youngest in any FF.

-spoiler deleted-

Even under black bars, I think we're a little early for remarks like that.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I got my first game over at the Sealion. That was (unfortunately) when I remembered how brutal not properly utilizing the save system/save states can be.

But hey, there was a waterfall.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I like to think of it as Gameplay vs Story. I don't think Steiner or Zidane are as weak as they are at the start of the game, as Steiner has nearly two decades of experience in combat and training while Zidane is a seasoned thief. Steiner might be a buffoon, but he's a very driven buffoon.

But yea, even 15-20 years ago, Steiner winning a duel against someone many people speak of as being incredibly powerful has to be dumb luck.

My thought on the matter, it was a bit of luck. Namely the fact that Steiner can trance, which is quite a rare ability. He was so worked up over the fight that he went into trance and was able to win that way. It would explain why he is the guy who explains trance in the evil forest.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm fairly certain that's not actually true, but to clarify would require a shitton of spoilers, so how about we put a pin in that theory for now?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nobody bats a thousand.

I have no difficulty whatsoever believing Beatrix had an off day and Steiner got a lucky strike.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well, yeah, Beatrix bats .999

:v:

Anyway - it's not worth really theorycrafting the why, what matters is that it did happen (however) and the characters act accordingly. It's good.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
We're also ignoring the fact that Beatrix is 27 years old to Steiner's 33. Not much of an age difference now, but 15-20 years ago? She would've been a very young teenager at best, against a nearly full-grown Steiner. Regardless of how naturally talented she was, Steiner's significantly larger size would've made it a fairly even match.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Steiner believed in RNGesus.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
For those wondering about the duel, it was 10 years before the start of the game, when Steiner was 23. Steiner had been in the Alexandrian army for 7 years by that time. The prize was to have a request granted by the Queen. Steiner chose the captainship of the Knights of Pluto.

Also, for fun, here is Steiner's expression palette.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 4, 2015

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

TravelLog posted:

For those wondering about the duel, it was 10 years before the start of the game, when Steiner was 23. Steiner had been the Alexandrian army for 7 years by that time. The prize was to have a request granted by the Queen. Steiner chose the captainship of the Knights of Pluto.

Do you have a bigger version of that? I want to look closer at it, and I have a feeling at least one person's going to want to a version where the expressions are avatar sized.

(although quoting this I see it's a timg, so if it's just my browser being dumb and refusing to expand let me know)

E: VV: Hm. It refuses to be anything other than 200 x 98 for me, so I'll figure out what's up then.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 4, 2015

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

The file is 1020 x 500, but I'll scrounge around and see what I can find. As a gift for those of you with ENEMIES on the forums, here is Brahne's palette.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 4, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

TravelLog posted:

For those wondering about the duel, it was 10 years before the start of the game, when Steiner was 23. Steiner had been the Alexandrian army for 7 years by that time. The prize was to have a request granted by the Queen. Steiner chose the captainship of the Knights of Pluto.

So what are the details of this duel anyway? Is it just that Steiner won by luck, or is there a more detailed description? I seriously want to know more about this.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bufuman posted:

We're also ignoring the fact that Beatrix is 27 years old to Steiner's 33. Not much of an age difference now, but 15-20 years ago? She would've been a very young teenager at best, against a nearly full-grown Steiner. Regardless of how naturally talented she was, Steiner's significantly larger size would've made it a fairly even match.

Clearly you're new to JRPGs, where age is inversely proportional to power levels. Beatrix was never more powerful than when she was 12.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 4, 2015

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Bufuman posted:

So what are the details of this duel anyway? Is it just that Steiner won by luck, or is there a more detailed description? I seriously want to know more about this.

It's been years since I've read the Ultimania translation and the FF wiki isn't terribly more forthcoming. I really do think it was chalked up to luck. For those that are skeptical, keep in mind how dangerous it can be in a sword duel for something like the sun to glint off your opponent's helmet or sword for even a second and blind you. Who knows what could have happened to throw Beatrix off. When I put up Beatrix's profile I'll talk a bit about how the duel might have affected her attitude.

Edit: Bonus Brahne

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 4, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Why does Brahne have a mask that the Beagle Boys use anyway?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

Clearly you're new to JRPGs, where age is inversely proportional to power levels. Beatrix was never more powerful than when she was 12.

Why else do you think Vivi can pack so much power into an adorable package?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Iretep posted:

Why does Brahne have a mask that the Beagle Boys use anyway?

Pretty sure that's just supposed to be helmet shadows.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

TravelLog posted:

For those wondering about the duel, it was 10 years before the start of the game, when Steiner was 23. Steiner had been in the Alexandrian army for 7 years by that time. The prize was to have a request granted by the Queen. Steiner chose the captainship of the Knights of Pluto.
In the theater of my mind I am imagining kid Steiner growing up with stories of the famed Knights of Pluto and geez oh geez one day he's gonna be a knight too! He's gonna be captain of the knights! Everyone laughs at him now, sure, but he'll show 'em he's got what it takes.

:gbsmith:

TravelLog posted:

His hair must never be shown.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So, I've waited a bit to see what OFS covers in his low-level game, and now I don't need to pussyfoot around the reason for the speedrun part, so let's post so more nonsense!

To recap: there is a Perfect Game Guide (heavy spoilers for literally everything, of course!) covering how to stay at Level 1 for those sweet, sweet stat upgrades with the correct equipment on level up, while also being fast enough to get through 99% of the main game in 12 hours, while also not missing anything permanently missable. This requires some insanity far beyond "just" staying at Level 1, and I'd like to share some of the more ridiculous poo poo with you.

We know about needing a fight with only 2 Plant Spiders when escaping the Evil Forest, reminder:

code:
     .==========================.                                    ____
  .--| BATTLE: PLANT SPIDER x 2 |-----------------------------------(1 AP)--.
  |  '=========================='                                    ¯¯¯¯   |
  |                                                                         |
  | • If there are more than 2 Plant Spiders, RESET THE GAME and try again. |
  | • Use a spreaded Fire spell or two physical attacks to win the battle;  |
  |   make sure everyone survives to keep your party at Lv 1.               |
  | • Do NOT have Blank absorb all the EXP, as that will make SPOILER join  |
  |   the party at Lv 3. You have been warned.                              |
  |                                                                         |
  '-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
This sounds pretty dry until you read how often OFS did actually have to reset.

You have been warned.

code:
 o On the World Map, head south while the nameplate is displayed to avoid
   random battles and enter Ice Cavern.
 o Exit immediately after the scenes and save your game.
I must say I do appreciate those reminders. He cares!

Ice Cave, this tidbit:

code:
 o Although it's still not exactly easy, you can make it through the entire
   area without any encounters by changing screens a bit more often than
   otherwise necessary - changing screens resets the encounter check.

o On the screen with the Potion and the Ether, pick up only one per trip,
   backtracking to the previous screen after getting each, and then getting
   past the screen on a third entry. You may want to start with the Potion
   since it's the harder to grab without a battle.
Sounds like fun. All of these time-saving things for the game actually add a lot of real life time due to constant, excruciating resets, of course...all the more reason for him to tell you every possible opportunity to save at certain points, like after cutscenes. It's surely much needed.

Black Waltz and Sealion:

code:
 [Steal until Trance happens, but:]
  | • Reset if you don't steal the Mythril Dagger; if you steal it and have |
  |   extra turns left, make sure you get his Ether as well.                |
This could take quite a while, too...

Dali:

code:
 o After the conversation, sell all your Phoenix Pinion and buy the following:

----------------------------------
    ==================================
     BUY : 97 Wrist            12,610
         :  5 Feather Hat       1,000
         :  3 Leather Shirt       810
    ==================================
    ----------------------------------
WRISTS

And finally:

code:
 o Make your way through the screens until you reunite with Vivi, picking up
   all the items except the Iron Helm, which you should grab on the way back
   to the barrel with Kumop.
Even the tiniest of timesavers are thought of!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bad Seafood posted:

His hair must never be shown.

The most common hairstyle for him that appears in fanart appears to be a square cut to fit his head. At least they agree on the colour since his eyebrows are black.

Here's an example from fanart (cropped because the other half of the picture includes characters we haven't seen yet):

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TravelLog posted:

The file is 1020 x 500, but I'll scrounge around and see what I can find. As a gift for those of you with ENEMIES on the forums, here is Brahne's palette.

It's coming up 200x98 for me, too. Maybe try rehosting it on imgur? This one is also small.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

ApplesandOranges posted:

The most common hairstyle for him that appears in fanart appears to be a square cut to fit his head. At least they agree on the colour since his eyebrows are black.

Here's an example from fanart (cropped because the other half of the picture includes characters we haven't seen yet):

I love that Vivi is playing the Game of Life. :allears:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I love that you cropped the image for spoiler reasons so it looks like he's playing it alone.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

HMS Boromir posted:

I love that you cropped the image for spoiler reasons so it looks like he's playing it alone.
A-awwwwwwwwww.

Awwwwwwww noooooo where's that sad vivi emote when you need it, also that's really great fanart, do you know who did that Apples?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

That's weird. Let's try imgur.

Here is Steiner: http://imgur.com/VTHIsWA

Brahne: http://imgur.com/8ZoMvHI

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

NOT IMPRESSED

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TravelLog posted:

That's weird. Let's try imgur.

Here is Steiner: http://imgur.com/VTHIsWA

Brahne: http://imgur.com/8ZoMvHI

I think he looked better with the chain coif, but I bet they saw that and said "Hmm, maybe a little TOO much like Buzz Lightyear."

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fister Roboto posted:

I think he looked better with the chain coif, but I bet they saw that and said "Hmm, maybe a little TOO much like Buzz Lightyear."

He wears the chain coif, just under his helmet!

This is a great LP and I'm enjoying reading it, Mega64, thanks. Wish I had the means to play it myself for the millionth time.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Well now I'm going to read everything he says in a Tim Allen voice in my head.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've always used Patrick Stewart as my go-to Steiner voice.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
No, no, no, no. He has the voice of Patrick Warburton and that is final.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Warburton is too obviously goofy IMO.

I feel like with Stewart, you'd have this almost dignified first impression before he devolves into his usual bumbling self. Which is great. Steiner isn't just some cantankerous oaf, he's a dude with aspirations and convictions about what a knight is supposed to be and how they're supposed to act. Every now and then he even manages to kick off the clown shoes and actually do something truly heroic. Stewart can be pretty funny when he's given the chance, but he's also got that imperial nobility about him which I think would fit Steiner to a T.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

If you want to go for comedy value, I've always thought this fine gentleman would be funny. In all seriousness though, 1990s Jeremy Irons would be a good Steiner.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
To me Steiner has always had a rather goofy voice in the form of a warbling boastful British man somewhat reminiscent of Peter Ustinov.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FinalGamer posted:

A-awwwwwwwwww.

Awwwwwwww noooooo where's that sad vivi emote when you need it, also that's really great fanart, do you know who did that Apples?

My google-fu's sadly failed me this time. I'll post the full image once we've seen all our playable characters, at least.

As for Steiner, my best fit in terms of voice in my head would be Patrick Seitz. Just someone loud and boisterous, but ultimately good-hearted. And Seitz has voiced BlazBlue's Bang, so he's got the mannerisms down at least.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
The voice I hear for Steiner has been passed down in the Armstrong family line for generations!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bad Seafood posted:

Warburton is too obviously goofy IMO.

I feel like with Stewart, you'd have this almost dignified first impression before he devolves into his usual bumbling self. Which is great. Steiner isn't just some cantankerous oaf, he's a dude with aspirations and convictions about what a knight is supposed to be and how they're supposed to act. Every now and then he even manages to kick off the clown shoes and actually do something truly heroic. Stewart can be pretty funny when he's given the chance, but he's also got that imperial nobility about him which I think would fit Steiner to a T.

It also helps that Stewart spent years with the Royal Shakespeare Company (1966 to 1982). Given how heavily FF IX is influenced by Shakespearean themes, Stewart would easily knock it out of the park as Steiner.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now I really wish I'd named everyone after Shakespeare character in my latest playthrough.

Steiner would be Falstaff, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Steiner is Michael Dorn. Worf 4 life.:getin:

• Locked thread