Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mmmm jizz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The first space colonies will have no coal power plants. I am ready. For now though, as I am driven through the gleaming city, my hunger peacefully at bay, I have visions of the parking lots and grocery stores replaced by parks and community centers, power plants retrofitted as museums and galleries. Traffic and trash and pollution will evaporate, if only we are willing to adapt some routines.

as long as he still gets his shirts regularly delivered to the space colony, everything will be ok.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

this guy has teh most beautiful hand i have ever seen

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you gotta treat your girl nice, you know?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

also, i'm pretty sure more water is used in the production of a nylon shirt than a wash cycle. not to mention all of the energy/chemical inputs and green house gas emissions.

and it implies he is donating unwashed clothes to the poor, wtf.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 4, 2015

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Tokamak posted:

also, i'm pretty sure more water is used in the production of a nylon shirt than a wash cycle. not to mention all of the energy/chemical inputs and green house gas emissions.

people tear him up a bit in he own comments

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

duTrieux. posted:

people tear him up a bit in he own comments

quote:

tmosley StoneCypher • 10 hours ago
Natural gas is the most efficient way to produce heat. Everyone SHOULD know this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this is more expensive than i expected. it would cost you like $150 a week to feed two adults on this stuff, and you don't even get to taste things or have solid poops

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

it's modular and yet there's only one kind you can buy :confused:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
30 dollars a month could get you some real food.

it would be lovely real food, but it would be real food.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
but can you put a price on Flavorless Unfeeling Food-As-Fuel Efficiency?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wild EEPROM posted:

30 dollars a month could get you some real food.

it would be lovely real food, but it would be real food.

that 30 dollars a month seems to be for twelve 400 kcal bottles a month. i dont know about you, but i eat more than 4800 calories worth of food in an average month

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

fart simpson posted:

i dont know about you, but i eat more than 4800 calories worth of food in an average tuesday

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

poty posted:

i dont know about you, but i eat more than 4800 calories worth of food in an average tuesday morning

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stymie posted:

he drinks soylent for most meals, how much of a fight could he put up?

yeah and you already know he doesnt have any weapons

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I AM MACHINE
I NEVER SLEEP
I KEEP MY EYES WIDE OPEN
I AM MACHINE
A PART OF ME
WISHES I COULD JUST FEEL SOMETHING

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

How Git shows the patriarchal nature of the software industry.

Git is a Distributed Source Control Manager (DSCM), a piece of software that enables software developers to keep track of the code changes in a project progressively over time without relying on a centralised database. It was created by Linus Torvalds, more famous for his other major creation, Linux. It was a novel Open Source alternative to the existing SCMs, allowing developers from all over the world to collaborate in a new, dynamic fashion; even when they were unable to access the internet. As a result, it and other DSCMs have become the dominant tools of this nature in Open Source projects.

Every time a developer wants to share her bug fix or improvement with others in her team, she makes a commit which is a description of the differences between it and the last commit. This commit is labelled with a short comment describing in plain English the changes made for the benefit of the other developers. It is also labelled with the name and email address of the developer who made the commit.

This is where we start running in to problems. If you ever want to change your name on your commits, say you have been married, divorced or chosen a name more congruent with your gender identity, you have to make what is called a "destructive action".

To try and put it simply, the author of a commit is tied in to the identity of the commit itself. If you change the author, it's treated as an entirely new commit. Anyone who has grabbed a copy of your original commit and made subsequent changes on top of it finds themselves orphaned from the history of the project. To use a crude analogy, it's like you rip the trunk of a tree out, while the branches are magically left hanging in the air, connected to nothing and isolated.

In practice this would be almost impossible for you to do. Even if you controlled the project, your contributors would have to rewrite all the changes they had made, potentially taking hundreds of hours depending on the size of the project.

Of course this problem has never been significant for the vast majority of the software developer community. Even in today's day and age, the majority of people who get a name change are going to be married/divorced women. It has probably never crossed the minds of the creators of Git that this could be such a huge problem to a non-cis or non-male person.

There are a few workarounds to mitigate this problem, the most obvious being to grin and bear it. Unfortunately this isn't an option for many trans software developers who open themselves up to discrimination if they are forced to reveal their trans status by disclosing their assigned at birth name. Women who have gone through divorce may find their surname from their marriage to be upsetting and want to disassociate themselves from it.

Another option is to use a handle/pseudonym. This is also fraught with problems. Even if you are able to predict your one day need for it, if you are developing in a professional capacity this can come across as unprofessional to many current and future employers.

This has personally affected me. I am now having to distance myself from a large and popular Open Source project that I co-founded and which was at least partly responsible for me getting my current job. Just another example of how a seemingly small, normative assumption can have profound negative effects on minorities.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and here i am begging people just to set a drat name in git before committing anything

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

this is a good idea

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

jizz smythe

rename smythe this

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

bobbilljim posted:

this guy has teh most beautiful hand i have ever seen

duTrieux. posted:

you gotta treat your girl nice, you know?

lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

akadajet posted:

How Git shows the patriarchal nature of the software industry.

Git is a Distributed Source Control Manager (DSCM), a piece of software that enables software developers to keep track of the code changes in a project progressively over time without relying on a centralised database. It was created by Linus Torvalds, more famous for his other major creation, Linux. It was a novel Open Source alternative to the existing SCMs, allowing developers from all over the world to collaborate in a new, dynamic fashion; even when they were unable to access the internet. As a result, it and other DSCMs have become the dominant tools of this nature in Open Source projects.

Every time a developer wants to share her bug fix or improvement with others in her team, she makes a commit which is a description of the differences between it and the last commit. This commit is labelled with a short comment describing in plain English the changes made for the benefit of the other developers. It is also labelled with the name and email address of the developer who made the commit.

This is where we start running in to problems. If you ever want to change your name on your commits, say you have been married, divorced or chosen a name more congruent with your gender identity, you have to make what is called a "destructive action".

To try and put it simply, the author of a commit is tied in to the identity of the commit itself. If you change the author, it's treated as an entirely new commit. Anyone who has grabbed a copy of your original commit and made subsequent changes on top of it finds themselves orphaned from the history of the project. To use a crude analogy, it's like you rip the trunk of a tree out, while the branches are magically left hanging in the air, connected to nothing and isolated.

In practice this would be almost impossible for you to do. Even if you controlled the project, your contributors would have to rewrite all the changes they had made, potentially taking hundreds of hours depending on the size of the project.

Of course this problem has never been significant for the vast majority of the software developer community. Even in today's day and age, the majority of people who get a name change are going to be married/divorced women. It has probably never crossed the minds of the creators of Git that this could be such a huge problem to a non-cis or non-male person.

There are a few workarounds to mitigate this problem, the most obvious being to grin and bear it. Unfortunately this isn't an option for many trans software developers who open themselves up to discrimination if they are forced to reveal their trans status by disclosing their assigned at birth name. Women who have gone through divorce may find their surname from their marriage to be upsetting and want to disassociate themselves from it.

Another option is to use a handle/pseudonym. This is also fraught with problems. Even if you are able to predict your one day need for it, if you are developing in a professional capacity this can come across as unprofessional to many current and future employers.

This has personally affected me. I am now having to distance myself from a large and popular Open Source project that I co-founded and which was at least partly responsible for me getting my current job. Just another example of how a seemingly small, normative assumption can have profound negative effects on minorities.

i don't know anything about git but why is changing the author name a problem? shouldn't everyone have a numeric id or something and then a display name that can be changed at will? did the author(s) of git really think that no one would ever want to change their name?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fart simpson posted:

this is more expensive than i expected. it would cost you like $150 a week to feed two adults on this stuff, and you don't even get to taste things or have solid poops

these are people for whom taste is a negative

reminder that during the space program, one of the major psychological problems was with the food. if normal people just eat nothing but nutrient paste they go sort of crazy.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

don't change your name when you get married. christ

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh wow

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

these are people for whom taste is a negative

reminder that during the space program, one of the major psychological problems was with the food. if normal people just eat nothing but nutrient paste they go sort of crazy.

yea that's why they don't use the food tubes anymore

people need familiar-shaped food

also apparently since pooping in space is such a hassle most astronauts eat steak for their meals before launch b/c your body completely absorbs something like 90% of meat ingested so it makes the least amount of poop

packing for mars is such a good book

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yea that's why they don't use the food tubes anymore

people need familiar-shaped food

also apparently since pooping in space is such a hassle most astronauts eat steak for their meals before launch b/c your body completely absorbs something like 90% of meat ingested so it makes the least amount of poop

packing for mars is such a good book

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i don't know anything about git but why is changing the author name a problem? shouldn't everyone have a numeric id or something and then a display name that can be changed at will? did the author(s) of git really think that no one would ever want to change their name?

the author in commits is just whatever name/email the user had entered in their local config, there's no centralized concept of identity/auth within git itself. commits can come from anywhere/anyone

maybe they could've had it where a given commit's author would be editable without hitting the sha1, but then that'd mean that two copies of the same repo would be configured with different authors but according to the sha1's theyd be identical and good luck trying to reconcile that when the sha1 is how everything is identified in git

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
solution: only get married to people with last names you can do a sha1 collision with

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also people change their names/emails all the time and its not like they feel a need to retroactively go back in time and remove all prior record of the previous name/email

just update any instances of your previous name/email in the current repo and update your config jeez

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

also people change their names/emails all the time and its not like they feel a need to retroactively go back in time and remove all prior record of the previous name/email

just update any instances of your previous name/email in the current repo and update your config jeez

die techie/cis scum

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Progressive JPEG posted:

the author in commits is just whatever name/email the user had entered in their local config, there's no centralized concept of identity/auth within git itself. commits can come from anywhere/anyone

maybe they could've had it where a given commit's author would be editable without hitting the sha1, but then that'd mean that two copies of the same repo would be configured with different authors but according to the sha1's theyd be identical and good luck trying to reconcile that when the sha1 is how everything is identified in git

oh duh i mixed up git and github :doh:

i don't know what you mean by "hitting the sha1" but why not use a guid for author identification?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

solution: use a witty screen name instead of that boring poo poo your parents made up

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this is my real name

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

As a Millennial I posted:

solution: use a witty screen name instead of that boring poo poo your parents made up
/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

"if uber's service were lovely, they wouldn't be making any money and they wouldn't be worth $61 billion" --my dad

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tech bubble bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

"if uber's service were lovely, they wouldn't be making any money and they wouldn't be worth $61 billion" --my dad

They aren't making any money. They're hemorrhaging cash at twice the rate they're making it, and those are the "good" numbers they're showing investors.

• Locked thread