Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

kafziel posted:

Okay but how much of that DPS of yours was Unleashes and Abyssal Drains into groups?

Not much actually. Abyssal and Unleash don't really mesh too well with Blood Weapon and most of the early waves are stunned so there's nothing to hit me for Blood Price to sustain heavy aoe'ing. Dark Passenger and Salted Earth were the largest sources of my aoe damage throughout the fight and I mainly focused on more single target rotations to either establish threat or burn down priority targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

Chyea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smzup8TWOWs

AS3 Kill Video

Voice-chat version comes later

Are you the dragoon?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they're massive nerds who have two different characters with different jobs that have gotten prototype drops every week

chyea has a MNK and a DRG

it looks like they put in all the characters that had gotten drops from floor 1 & 2 to maximize everything

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

siotle posted:

Are you the dragoon?

Yes, Sen Pai is my alt DRG. We didn't know what class composition would be ideal for Savage so each player in our group geared alts to maximize our flexibility. Plus it lets us give our "main raid" more of the item upgrade reagents.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How does loot work if you leave the instance before it is awarded?

It's as if you passed. In fact it will auto-lot to the last person left in the room even if they didn't lot on it.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
I just started playing a few weeks ago, and I hit level 30 today just before maintenance. So far I've just been blasting through the main story and picking up side quests in whatever area the campaign takes me too, and grinding dungeons as I run around. Is this all I need to be doing until I reach max level?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

I just started playing a few weeks ago, and I hit level 30 today just before maintenance. So far I've just been blasting through the main story and picking up side quests in whatever area the campaign takes me too, and grinding dungeons as I run around. Is this all I need to be doing until I reach max level?

Also do your class/job quests and unlock your job when you hit 30 (this also means leveling a specific secondary class to 15). Class and Job quests are basically mandatory, as they give you important skills and abilities that you wont want to do without.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TooManyUzukis posted:

Also do your class/job quests and unlock your job when you hit 30 (this also means leveling a specific secondary class to 15). Class and Job quests are basically mandatory, as they give you important skills and abilities that you wont want to do without.

With the possible exception of Scholar post-54.

I'm not actually that bitter, playing "pre-Heavensward Scholar plus Broil and an oh poo poo AOE aetherheal button" is still great fun because pre-Heavensward Scholar was great.

I've used the shield -> heal conversion tactics once or twice, to be fair, it's an adequate niche group heal.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not actually that bitter, playing "pre-Heavensward Scholar plus Broil and an oh poo poo AOE aetherheal button" is still great fun because pre-Heavensward Scholar was great.

I've used the shield -> heal conversion tactics once or twice, to be fair, it's an adequate niche group heal.

All 3 of the abilities you're griping over have fantastic use cases that come up in content that isn't trivial. :catstare:

Dissipation is the only one I would call completely situational.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Doctor Albatross posted:

Pretty much, though there are certain obscure side-quests that are very useful to unlock, like the Challenge Log one.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Deployment Tactics is a great skill. Really, Dissipation is the only one that seems to not have obvious uses.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 4, 2015

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

TooManyUzukis posted:

Magil Zeal posted:

Pretty much, though there are certain obscure side-quests that are very useful to unlock, like the Challenge Log one.

Thanks a bunch! I've also been working my way through my Crafting and Hunting logs. I guess I'd better figure out where to go to continue my class quest, since I think I've just been doing the general story one for the last 20 or so levels haha

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

All of the post 50 White Mage skills seem really good. Can we make Aero 2's dot last longer than 12 seconds though?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When do patch notes usually go up?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Anywhere between now and 3am.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doctor Albatross posted:

Thanks a bunch! I've also been working my way through my Crafting and Hunting logs. I guess I'd better figure out where to go to continue my class quest, since I think I've just been doing the general story one for the last 20 or so levels haha

It'll be at the respective guild in the city you started at. After you hit 30 you'll have to level another class to 15 to continue and get your job, which will lead to a different trainer with new quests every 5 levels. You should DO THIS IMMEDIATELY BEFORE CONTINUING LEVELING. Not only do you get great abilities from your job, you get an immediate stat boost just from equipping the stone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ciaphas posted:

Anywhere from 2h to 30m to when the server goes back up.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Begemot posted:

It'll be at the respective guild in the city you started at. After you hit 30 you'll have to level another class to 15 to continue and get your job, which will lead to a different trainer with new quests every 5 levels. You should DO THIS IMMEDIATELY BEFORE CONTINUING LEVELING. Not only do you get great abilities from your job, you get an immediate stat boost just from equipping the stone.

Glad I asked, then! Guess I know what I'll be doing when the servers are back up

Griz
May 21, 2001

Doctor Albatross posted:

you get a quest from your guild every 5 levels until 30, then you can see that the next quest requires 15 levels of some other class and that sends you off to some other guy who gives a quest every 5 levels until 50.

I don't understand how people forget about those when there's a popup that says "the next [job] quest will be available from [dude] at [level]" after finishing one, and you can click on dude to see what your next ability will be.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

kafziel posted:

Okay but how much of that DPS of yours was Unleashes and Abyssal Drains into groups?

This question may have felt clever, but it highlights another huge weakness of PLD

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Griz posted:

you get a quest from your guild every 5 levels until 30, then you can see that the next quest requires 15 levels of some other class and that sends you off to some other guy who gives a quest every 5 levels until 50.

I don't understand how people forget about those when there's a popup that says "the next [job] quest will be available from [dude] at [level]" after finishing one, and you can click on dude to see what your next ability will be.

I do remember having to wait until a certain level earlier on, but eventually the story took me to Ul'Dah and I completely forgot to go back to Gridania and keep going.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
AXEBOYS
X.....Y
E.....O
B.....B
O.....E
Y.....X
SYOBEXA

Hooray for Tuesday's reset.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

its time to get your double barrel shotgun on

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
That is, of course, only applicable for the people who did not buy chests this previous week.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Garin posted:

That is, of course, only applicable for the people who did not buy chests this previous week.

Shameful people who deserve no consideration.

When offered extra wdmg, you don't ask "do I have to suck dicks for it?" you ask "how many?"

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Magil Zeal posted:

Deployment Tactics is a great skill. Really, Dissipation is the only one that seems to not have obvious uses.

Dissipation makes a lot more sense if you look at parses for 50 content and 60 content and realize that, post-50, Selene contributes much less to healing overall than she used to.

In other words, Dissipation is generally supposed to be a net increase in your HPS in an emergency situation where you're throwing out Adlos and AOE heals. It's overall a very weak skill, all things considered, and would feel a lot better if it a.) also restored 20% of the caster's MP, or b.) boosted heals by more than the current 20% during the duration.

However, SCH manages just fine without it and it's entirely possible to never push that button - it doesn't really handle any situation in a way that isn't better dealt with through other means.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
make dissipation resummon the fairy at the end of the duration yoshi

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Boten Anna posted:

When offered extra wdmg, you don't ask "do I have to suck dicks for it?" you ask "how many?"

Naw. Some people just want glamour. The only time I snicker about it is if folks are trying to do big, serious endeavors with Savage Alexander, or they are trying to tell people doing Savage Alexander that getting the chest first is optimal.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
Dunno how many people care, but apparently a japanese player found where Dusk Leather comes from and currently has the Company Tabard glamoured on their armor.

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3830632/

I really want it...

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Boten Anna posted:

For scholar, the trade is (for week 3):

Weapon (Week 4 Belt, Week 5 Chest):
+2 WD
+9 mind
+9 vitality
+44 spell speed
+70 piety
-83 crit

vs

Chest+Belt (Week 5 Weapon):

+13 mind
+12 vitality
+58 det
+30 piety
-62 spell speed

Even if you really like Spell Speed, it's a hard sell that the first one is actually better. You're shedding 106 spellspeed and 9 Mind's "worth" of damage, but you wind up with 58 det and 83 crit over the weapon, which absolutely bridges the gap. You also got the chest a full week earlier, which was a major contribution to my group's first A1S kill, which we pushed with less than 3 seconds left on enrage. I can't imagine this is right for many other classes, but at least for Scholar i'm confident in the chest being a valid first buy.

Death to Spell Speed.

Doublestep posted:

make dissipation resummon the fairy at the end of the duration yoshi

Just make it do something that makes it not feel like a long-term net neutral. Dissipation owns in pvp because fighting is different there, but man does it suck to press in PvE.

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 4, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Making it bring the fairy back at the end would make it a pretty amazing secondary source of Aetherflow. I wouldn't say no to that.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Niton posted:

+2 WD
+9 mind
+9 vitality
+44 spell speed
+70 piety
-83 crit

vs

+13 mind
+12 vitality
+58 det
+30 piety
-62 spell speed

Even if you really like Spell Speed, it's a hard sell that the first one is actually better. You're shedding 106 spellspeed and 9 Mind's "worth" of damage, but you wind up with 58 det and 83 crit over the weapon, which absolutely bridges the gap. You also got the chest a full week earlier, which was a major contribution to my group's first A1S kill, which we pushed with less than 3 seconds left on enrage. I can't imagine this is right for many other classes, but at least for Scholar i'm confident in the chest being a valid first buy.

Death to Spell Speed.

Just make it do something that makes it not feel like a long-term net neutral. Dissipation owns in pvp because fighting is different there, but man does it suck to press in PvE.

Yeah dude, no. Weapon Damage is the king stat of this game and is suuuuuuuper exponential. There's no better upgrade in this game by far for anything, considering its mechanics.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Niton posted:

+2 WD
+9 mind
+9 vitality
+44 spell speed
+70 piety
-83 crit

vs

+13 mind
+12 vitality
+58 det
+30 piety
-62 spell speed

Death to Spell Speed.

At least for BLM, 1 WDMG is approx. 8 Int assuming linear scaling and all evidence points at multilinear or polynomial scaling (so the linear approximation I did when analyzing my measurements is a lower bound). I can't imagine it being much different for scholars. Besides, spell speed increases DoT damage. Stop pretending like buying the chest is a valid choice ever.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Are those numbers assuming you upgrade from Asuran, or Prototype?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Also lol "You also got the chest a full week earlier, which was a major contribution to my group's first A1S kill, which we pushed with less than 3 seconds left on enrage."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thanks to the goons that ran me through Garuda tonight so I didnt have to wait in the half hour queue. Also thanks to the other goon that told me to stick with the game until at least this point because the story gets better. You were right!

Now my only question is when do I get to start playing the pretty princess part of this game, Im tired of subligars.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Machinist (according to OF, a bad place) puts WD with GB at 10.71 DEX per point.

pls do not buy armor first

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Furnaceface posted:

Thanks to the goons that ran me through Garuda tonight so I didnt have to wait in the half hour queue. Also thanks to the other goon that told me to stick with the game until at least this point because the story gets better. You were right!

Now my only question is when do I get to start playing the pretty princess part of this game, Im tired of subligars.

It all depends upon what class you play. You'll have some artifact armor from your job quest and then a stronger, recolored version when you hit 50 these days. After that you'll graduate into some 110 armor that might make you look really dumb and might not. At 50, though, you can unlock glamours so that you yourself can be the one who chooses to look incredibly dumb.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
Weapon damage contributes to your party limit break damage as well. You're bringing your entire raid down if you don't buy the weapon.

Niton posted:

You also got the chest a full week earlier, which was a major contribution to my group's first A1S kill, which we pushed with less than 3 seconds left on enrage.

Also, I suggest your DPS look up some guides or ask more experienced players what buttons to press.

Agraya fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 4, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Furnaceface posted:

At 50 is when you can unlock the items that let you change an items appearance to another, called glamours. They are made by crafters and are usually cheap, but it can be a major pain in the rear end getting used to, as it's a bunch of useless extra bits. For example, say you want to glamour your pants into two items, a level 60 item or a level 1 item. You have to buy the right prism for the craft type of the item, and then the rank of the item which can be fairy arbitrary. At least you don't need to know this, as when you attempt to do a glamour it will tell you what you need, but yeah it is clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Weapon Damage is like the base number that gets multiplied by everything. It's the biggest increase in literally all cases.

• Locked thread