Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Burkion posted:

To be fair she has to follow in the footsteps of Nannasprite, who is one of the best characters in the comic.

Like seriously, of all of the people who we see both iterations of, Jane is the worst of the bunch compared to her original.

I.... think I like Caliborn more than Lord English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And easily more than Calliope, as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not sure if that counts in the same way.

Lord English is Caliborn after all. Like, literally. Jane won't grow up to be Nannasprite

Unless something goes really sideways

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I like jake a lot and don't get there's so much hate for him. His biggest flaw is his friends treat him like a sex object and he doesn't know how to deal with it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I like jake a lot and don't get there's so much hate for him. His biggest flaw is his friends treat him like a sex object and he doesn't know how to deal with it.

Yeah I don't get people hating on the dude with self esteem issues and probably brain problems stemming from multiple blows to the head. Like the dude barely has any agency and spends most of his time in the comic getting manipulated or ogled.

'Depressing' is probably a good description.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

Yeah I don't get people hating on the dude with self esteem issues and probably brain problems stemming from multiple blows to the head. Like the dude barely has any agency and spends most of his time in the comic getting manipulated or ogled.

Don't forget groped.

He gets groped a fair amount of the page time he occupies.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You literally described all the reasons he sucks, then stuck a question mark at the end of it as if "existing as a character-less plot device" doesn't adequately describe a bad character

it doesn't help that he has no redeeming or interesting features, he's like the worst parts of Sollux, Tavros, and Eridan (three characters who all have their own massive character flaws that can make them difficult to read at times) combined

basically when he's not a lovely moron enabling the plot he's incredibly bland

a better question is what is to like about jake

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cabbit posted:

But enough about Mituna, let's talk about Jake.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

oh man and now dirk's here too

i really did forget how dirk is so flatly, aggressively, creepily introduced as "really wants to gently caress jake" and broaches it in the most passive-aggressive and pissant way possible

i mean, this is some of his first ever lines:

quote:

TT: Take it easy, bromide.
TT: Just about the only way I could salvage endearment from this perilous slope of horseshit would be to discover, really loving soon mind you, it was a preamble to some floundering invitation for me to rush to your vicinity as nakedly as possible.
TT: But since we've already shot that wad's eventuality on so many dry runs of flustered ambivalence that were as hilarious as they were one sided,
TT: That leaves only one hope for this message to avoid spiraling toward qualification as a critical loving defect in the hull of the Mach 10 rocket that is my precious spare time.

that's a dude you're supposed to like, he's eridan but more sexual and thus even creepier if that was even loving possible

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Jake sometimes says words like the way an old man would say them and that's fun.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Toxxupation posted:

You literally described all the reasons he sucks, then stuck a question mark at the end of it as if "existing as a character-less plot device" doesn't adequately describe a bad character

it doesn't help that he has no redeeming or interesting features, he's like the worst parts of Sollux, Tavros, and Eridan (three characters who all have their own massive character flaws that can make them difficult to read at times) combined

basically when he's not a lovely moron enabling the plot he's incredibly bland

a better question is what is to like about jake

people like shipping him with men

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

people like shipping him with men

well yeah how else are you going to get the cargo bulk rate

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The thing is, Dirk gets better. He realizes what a jerk he's been and he tries to make amends. If you reread the post-trickster pre-God-Tier section, Dirk apologizes to Jane, talks about what he admires about Roxy (and asks Jane to convey it), and regrets what he did to Jake. Jake doesn't own up to any of his own mistakes. DIrk is a manipulative jerk who tries to get better. Jake is a passive, self-centered (see poor Jane's birthday) victim who collapses into depression. One can see good qualities in Dirk that need to be encouraged. I can't say the same for Jake.

John is loving and true and brings out the best in people. Dave is funny and (painfully) honest and tries to protect people. Dirk was raised by robots and is trying to become a better human being. Jake? Is a vacuum. He doesn't deserve Vriska, but who does?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He doesn't deserve Vriska, but who does?

(Vriska)

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So should Jake get better in the sequences to come would you revise your opinion of him?

Toxxupation posted:

i mean, it won't be, because soon i'll be at dirk orchestrating his friend's death for hot makeouts and other associated horrid bullshit but for the time being roxy being a drunken louse is p awesome

I'll just note that you should pay attention to which actions are Dirk and which actions are Dirk's glasses (who is, admittedly, largely 13 year old him but with even more of a god complex) acting "for" him. They are separate though very closely related characters.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

whowhatwhere posted:

So should Jake get better in the sequences to come would you revise your opinion of him?

sure, but i quit the first time because i realized i hated literally everything that was happening, especially aranea's interminable goddamn monologues about bullshit but also everything to do with the alpha kids that wasn't roxy and calliope's dumb smug nonanswer nonsense

i mean, act 6 was so loving bad at the point i quit (which was somewhere in the middle of aranea's dreambubble horseshit, i think) that it made me quit a comic i had, previously, done such bullshit as madly refresh it for 2 goddamn hours on the night cascade premiered, staying up in the middle of the night to get that flash loaded, a comic i had followed for threeish years religiously

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Alpha kids have been in the comic longer than they haven't :tinfoil:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

But Dirk stating that he's an rear end in a top hat isn't a change, nor is it an indication that that he plans to change later. He's basically says "I'm a jerk who's done awful poo poo because that's just the kind of guy I am." So he's accepted the fact that his actions are bad, but not that he has control over those actions and that he needs to make a personal effort to change so he can stop doing bad things in the future.

This negative and unhealthy view of himself is also colors how he treats Hal "he's bad because I'm bad, there was no hope of him ever being good" which both takes away Hal's agency and stops Dirk from having to acknowledge that Hal might have been better if he had treated him better, because if Hal can change that mean Dirk can change and Dirk doesn't believe he can change.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

But on the plus side there's a cool video where he goes flying around on his rocket board and a series of posts with Caliborn where they draw hot smut.

Totally worth it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

team overhead smash posted:

But on the plus side there's a cool video where he goes flying around on his rocket board and a series of posts with Caliborn where they draw hot smut.

Totally worth it.

True, his conversations with Caliborn are brilliant.

Here's a fun thought: The original Dirk and the original Caliborn are both dead, so there's a chance they can meet up in the afterlife. Wonder how that would play out.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Toxxupation posted:

sure, but i quit the first time because i realized i hated literally everything that was happening, especially aranea's interminable goddamn monologues about bullshit but also everything to do with the alpha kids that wasn't roxy and calliope's dumb smug nonanswer nonsense

Area gets better. So, so much better.

Dirk is still horseshit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'd wear this shirt. I mean, it's pretty homestuck, but I think it works even if you know nothing about the comic.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Toxxupation posted:

i mean, act 6 was so loving bad at the point i quit (which was somewhere in the middle of aranea's dreambubble horseshit, i think) that it made me quit a comic i had, previously, done such bullshit as madly refresh it for 2 goddamn hours on the night cascade premiered, staying up in the middle of the night to get that flash loaded, a comic i had followed for threeish years religiously

Just remember that no one's actually making you do this and you can quit any time you want.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I know a guy who unironically loves early Act 6 Dirk, because Dirk reminds him of himself.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Attestant posted:

I know a guy who unironically loves early Act 6 Dirk, because Dirk reminds him of himself.

how many swords does he own

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Attestant posted:

Splinters.

And if Toxx venting is what gives him enough propulsion to get through the early acts then by all means. The first quarter or so of Act 6 is truly, legitimately bad and the only stretch where I'd argue that Hussie didn't know what he was doing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Attestant posted:

Reminds me of a girl I saw on Tumblr who, before reading the comic, thought Vriska must be really nice because all her friends said she was just like her.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Attestant posted:

He's an irredeemable oval office?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

WAR FOOT posted:

He's an irredeemable oval office?

pretty much, would probably register on most tests for sociopathy

(edit) you know I used to love this comic just about until act 6. that's when a) the comic went to poo poo and b) this dude picked it up and we wre the only irl acquaintances that both read it, so I had a lot of fun conversations about this.

post Retcon-John stuff has done a lot to redeem the comic for me, tbh. It's been kinda fun again.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 4, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If we're discussing why people like or dislike Dirk, Jake and Jane I think it's worth taking a moment to focus on the difference between characters we like because they're likeable or sympathetic, and characters we like because they're fun. Jake and Jane are both meant to be sympathetic (and often pitiable), but they're not very fun or proactive. Dirk is active and poo poo happens when he's around, but he's just too much of an rear end in a top hat to enjoy since he doesn't have Caliborn's freedom as a villain (this conversation with Dave did a lot to make Dirk more likeable). Roxy wins the jackpot by being both likeable and fun, with lots of shenanigans while also taking steps to help her friends and improve herself.

It's the same old problem with passive Calliope and active Caliborn, people just like a character that makes poo poo happen more than they like someone who's just an object or prop in the story meant to evoke pity.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 4, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dolash posted:

If we're discussing why people like or dislike Dirk, Jake and Jane I think it's worth taking a moment to focus on the difference between characters we like because they're likeable or sympathetic, and characters we like because they're fun. Jake and Jane are both meant to be sympathetic (and often pitiable), but they're not very fun or proactive. Dirk is active and poo poo happens when he's around, but he's just too much of an rear end in a top hat to enjoy since he doesn't have Caliborn's freedom as a villain (this conversation with Dave did a lot to make Dirk more likeable).
Dirk is fun to have around because he's funny. Striders being obnoxious is always worth the price of admission. Roxy is also funny in her own way. Jake and Jane are straightforward, which ehhh.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dirk is fun to have around because he's funny. Striders being obnoxious is always worth the price of admission. Roxy is also funny in her own way. Jake and Jane are straightforward, which ehhh.

Right, then we're agreed. Okay, everyone break for lunch, see you back here in an hour.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dolash posted:

Right, then we're agreed. Okay, everyone break for lunch, see you back here in an hour.

Will the Omegapause be over by then?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

no

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The omegapause hasn't even officially started if you think about it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: nvm

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 4, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've noticed that most of the classpect assignments work because they're descriptions of both the player's strengths and their weaknesses. Rose, the Seer of Light, could name "general air of omniscience" as both her best trait and her worst. John's trickstery disconnection from anything that may be happening around him is both a huge asset and a huge frustration to everybody who knows him.

Somewhat more on topic, Jake's number one trait as Page of Hope is that at any moment he might become cool and important.

I think this kind of says it all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blackheart posted:

The omegapause hasn't even officially started if you think about it.

This is Hussie's trick

This is his ultimate test

The Omegapause can never end if it never begins

The pause before the Omegapause will stretch to eternity so that it will never start so it will never cease and Homestuck will never end

This is how Homestuck outlives us all

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

man

once the first intermission in act 6 happens the quality is just night and fuckin' day

hey look at these boring alpha shitheads bein awful, oh wait now it's jade and john all god-tier talkin to one another

this is great

why can't the whole act be just this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just wait

Just wait

You'll get your teentalk time

Oh yes you will