Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

HMS Boromir posted:

I honestly think Illbleed could support a WOFF episode

I think they should do Abject Suffering Presents: Podcast of DEATH! - Illbleed and just cover the whole game over another episode or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Gary, Kole, others - here are some fun stupid Doc Ock Facts care of your little digression about preferring his film origin to what you recall of his actual one:

* Otto Octavius never had a wife to begin with. He did, however, nearly marry Aunt May once. It was a long-con to try and gain possession of a nuclear reactor she inherited. The wedding was broken up at the altar, but for years she would state Otto was only ever a gentleman to her.
* While I don't recall the arms talking to him, he did indeed talk to them later on, because due to radiation/long-term fusion with them/latent mutation/whatever, he actually forged a psychic bond with them. This was learned when he made them break out of a SHIELD facility across the country and walk to the prison he was in to break himself out.
* He coated his arms with adamantium later on, making them effectively invincible. Otto wasn't dumb.
* missed opportunity: Ultimate Universe Otto basically reformed a fight or two in, and began working as a double-agent for SHIELD/Nick Fury to get a pardon, knowing if Norman Osborn broke out he would recruit Otto among his cronies. Otto actually went clean and acted as Science Dad to young Peter for a bit, before getting killed by Norman. It was gut-wrenching. I really like non-crazy, empathetic Doc Ock.

Comics!

Edit for extrasode: Bionic Commando (modern) has one of my favorite lines in all of video game cheese, as Mike Patton as Nathan "Rad" Spencer spits "That's people you're breathing" at a terrorist in denial. It is also a flawed but solid title.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 1, 2015

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
True GameFAQs fact: The only reason I ended up listening to Retronauts was because back in the early 00s I used Jeremy Parish's Chrono Cross guide to help me get all characters and I was curious if it was the same dude.

Woff guys: I'm assuming you intend to do RE4 some day? I've been replaying it and it really loving holds up well. For whatever reason I thought ye did it but it's not on the list, I think I just remember Kole going on about it on another episode.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

* He coated his arms with adamantium later on, making them effectively invincible. Otto wasn't dumb.

Should've invested into adamantium helmet to avoid all that brain damage.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fruitpunch posted:

True GameFAQs fact: The only reason I ended up listening to Retronauts was because back in the early 00s I used Jeremy Parish's Chrono Cross guide to help me get all characters and I was curious if it was the same dude.

Woff guys: I'm assuming you intend to do RE4 some day? I've been replaying it and it really loving holds up well. For whatever reason I thought ye did it but it's not on the list, I think I just remember Kole going on about it on another episode.

in the RE2 episode I think they've said they have to give it a long stretch before doing another and that RE3 is next.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
They had RE4 on a poll but it didn't win. I think Amnesia took that one iirc

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I want Gary&Kole to do a show on KOTOR 2. The new patch made me pick it up, and it's even better than I remember! (not really)

It's very easy to see exactly where Alpha Protocol drew from, more than I imagined it would. Very direct connection.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I love RE4 and really want to do it. It might just come before RE3.

As far as KOTOR2 goes, I actually haven't played it. I love Obsidian so much but I couldn't give two fucks about Space Wars so it's a hard sell. At the very least, we have our big WRPG planned for this year already so KOTOR2 will likely have to wait a while.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The main draw of KOTOR 2 is that it questions the universe and basically calls out the Jedi order as magical hippies and why should they follow them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, kotor2 is to kotor what new Vegas is to fallout 3. Kotor is a straight up bioware rpg with a star wars sauce, fallout 3 is oblivion with guns. New Vegas is way way deeper and could work great outside the fallout universe: interesting characters and stories etc. Same goes with kotor 2, it's not really about the star wars poo poo but an exploration on good vs evil, or is everything shades of grey? It goes deep and metaphysical, just like you would expect from obsidian. Pillars of eternity kinda touches on similar themes I guess.

Kotor2 also looks beyond superficial star wars poo poo like epic space battles and the force, and looks beyond to see the consequences behind them, which is cool.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Kotor 2 is basically condensed essence of Avellone, that you haven't played it yet is pretty surprising.
Its pretty amazing and for me it was the most affecting of his work.
I can't tell you what games to play, all I can tell you is how to play Pazaak.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Well, this really cements it for me. I think I'll hit up this series before I play Witcher 1/2/3 as my "Non Assignment" game.

I know that people are probably going to tell me I don't need to play the first one (I stalled after 10 hours in it previously) but I think I'd like to do them both.

Thanks gang!

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

fruitpunch posted:

It surely must have been some other Jeremy Parish, because after the Chrono Trigger/Cross Retronauts episode a bunch of frothy Chrono fanboys went around posting lengthy screeds about how much of a Chrono Cross-hating monster I am.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I adore Chrono Cross but nothing you've ever said about it on a podcast is incorrect.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Is there something that Ray got pilloried for too? Because I can't think of it, but that probably leaves him as the lone Retronauts host to not end up setting off some weird niche of listeners.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If anyone here likes Final Fantasy VI, Top Score's latest episode is about ludomusicology and how the opera scene in that game is an allegory for the game's whole story. That game rules and the first time I got to that part of the game was a big turning point for my interest in video games, as cliche as that sounds.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

If anyone here likes Final Fantasy VI, Top Score's latest episode is about ludomusicology and how the opera scene in that game is an allegory for the game's whole story. That game rules and the first time I got to that part of the game was a big turning point for my interest in video games, as cliche as that sounds.

Thanks. It's the best game and I'm glad people who actually understand things about how music works (I don't) are having the same conversations about it I have.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Cool news on the Duckfeed side of things, presented in chronological order:

1. The 100th episode of Abject Suffering is about Action 52, it's extra long, and it came out today. http://duckfeed.tv/abjectsuffering/100
2. The "Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors" episode of WOFF! is in the process of being edited, and I'm really excited for you to hear it.
3. Danielle from Idle Thumbs is our next guest on Bonfireside Chat, to talk about the Gaol, the Workshop, and Byrgenwerth.
4. We will be performing live as WOFF! at the Portland Retro Games Expo in October.
5. Gary and I were invited to give a talk about Dark Souls at the Ohio Game Developer Expo in Columbus (at COSI!) in November.

That's the cool news happening in our neck of the woods.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Gary: finish Her Story. You don't need to 100% the clips, but you should see the end state.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Someone did do the action 52 game jam. You even almost found it during the show with that suggested google search for Non Human Action 52 Owns.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Phone posted:

Gary: finish Her Story. You don't need to 100% the clips, but you should see the end state.

I plan to, just trying to find the time. School/work stuff.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Did anyone do a spoilercast for Her Story? Everything I listened to danced around it (Looking at you Idle Thumbs and Hot Dog) or didn't beat it (Gary)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think for Thumb's its next week or never.

I've cooled off on the game a bunch even though I still like it. I think that going forward, if podcast hosts want to talk about a game that will necessitate spoilers but don't want to do it until everyone is there, they should just talk about it anyways. I'd much rather have 2 disjointed conversations over 2 weeks versus zero conversation for 4 weeks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Contradiction pretty much completely subsumed Her Story in my mind, being a vastly superior procedural crime FMV game, even if the gameplay particulars or the tone aren't comparable.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Is there something that Ray got pilloried for too? Because I can't think of it, but that probably leaves him as the lone Retronauts host to not end up setting off some weird niche of listeners.

I can't imagine Ray ever being pilloried for anything. He's too pure, too authentic.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Song For The Deaf posted:

1. The 100th episode of Abject Suffering is about Action 52, it's extra long, and it came out today. http://duckfeed.tv/abjectsuffering/100

I think we may get hit with fines because someone may or may not have run out of the store with a 6-pack when I began cackling like a hyena at "my dick's name is a killing word". I'm going to have to check the cameras come morning. I am writing this post half to remind me of what time to look.

update: he didn't, but apparently I laughed so hard a man fled the store in a panic. That's something, I guess.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 5, 2015

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Phone posted:

I think for Thumb's its next week or never.

I've cooled off on the game a bunch even though I still like it. I think that going forward, if podcast hosts want to talk about a game that will necessitate spoilers but don't want to do it until everyone is there, they should just talk about it anyways. I'd much rather have 2 disjointed conversations over 2 weeks versus zero conversation for 4 weeks.

It was recorded last night!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ja2ke posted:

The tweeting @ you worked!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cool news on the Duckfeed side of things, presented in chronological order:

2. The "Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors" episode of WOFF! is in the process of being edited, and I'm really excited for you to hear it.
3. Danielle from Idle Thumbs is our next guest on Bonfireside Chat, to talk about the Gaol, the Workshop, and Byrgenwerth.
4. We will be performing live as WOFF! at the Portland Retro Games Expo in October.
5. Gary and I were invited to give a talk about Dark Souls at the Ohio Game Developer Expo in Columbus (at COSI!) in November.

That's the cool news happening in our neck of the woods.
Oh you got Danielle? That is a good get! Very excited for this.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

ja2ke posted:

Cool! I'm looking forward to this.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

ja2ke posted:

Yessss

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Has anyone brought up Total War franchise lately? They've come out with some pretty good new stuff in the last 6-9 months, and they've got Total War Arena, which looks kind of like a 3-unit-per-player MOBA free to play, with several players using 3 units each, on either side.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

coyo7e posted:

Has anyone brought up Total War franchise lately? They've come out with some pretty good new stuff in the last 6-9 months, and they've got Total War Arena, which looks kind of like a 3-unit-per-player MOBA free to play, with several players using 3 units each, on either side.

A recent 3 Moves Ahead touched on the franchise, in a discussion on longtime strategy franchises that swung from highs to lows with various titles. I don't recall hearing that development come up though...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

coyo7e posted:

I'd imagine they're going to be mentioned a lot soon, after the news that Creative Assembly are making Halo Wars 2...

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Not to build it up too much, but the WOFF! about Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is one of my favorite episodes this year.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/106

Up next is Zone of the Enders, followed by Paper Mario.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I was taught two uses for the digital root in school. One is as a quick way to check divisibility by 3 and 9. A number with a digital root that is divisible by 3 is itself divisible by 3, same applies for 9. The other is that the digital root of a perfect square is 1, 4, 7 or 9, so you can prove that an arbitrarily large integer is not another integer squared if you're lucky enough for its digital root to not be one of those.

I hope you're loving this, Kole.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Not to build it up too much, but the WOFF! about Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is one of my favorite episodes this year.

I just started listening, but a quick factual correction: 999 certainly didn't serve as any sort of template for Dangan Ronpa. DR was originally released less than a year after 999 was, and was developed by a different company - Spike. About a year later Chunsoft and Spike merged, which led to Uchikoshi and DR-creator Kodaka becoming best buddies, but DR was almost certainly well into development when 999 was released, and Kodaka, who likes to spell out his major influences in interviews, has never mentioned it as one.

One other interesting thing about 999's creators is that originally it was heavily advertised as a Jiro Ishii game rather than an Uchikoshi game. Ishii was 999's producer and also one of the bigger names in the genre. He was responsible for some major hits for Chunsoft, most famously the Wii visual novel 428 which got a rare perfect score from Famitsu. Writer-director Uchikoshi was known for the Inifinity series (Ever17 and so on), but those were niche games compared to the mainstream success Ishii usually brought, so his role was diminished in interviews and advertising. Uchikoshi continued his role as director and writer and took over producer duties for Virtue's Last Reward, and is now properly recognized as the man behind the series worldwide.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Akuma posted:

I'd imagine they're going to be mentioned a lot soon, after the news that Creative Assembly are making Halo Wars 2...
Yeah, that too. Interesting way to take that franchise (and maybe general engine), it could really be a hoot to see squads of marines equipped with needles set up against Brutes with grav hammers, or elites with cloak and swords, or just a bunch of grunts with plasma cannons..! :black101:

I don't really think that Halo: Total Wars is gonna manage to misfire that badly. If they manage to throw the tech from the first halo wars game into the TW franchise to add some warthog skids and poo poo, to the TW engine's "ragdoll" etc effects (which has also been going hog wild in crazy physics - check out shogun 2 FOTS or Attilla or something, to see just how crazy it can be when cavalry charges are throwing people thirty feet through the air, or a cannon/trebuchet can throw 30+ units out of a 150 man squad, into the air!) Don't even get me started on decaps and stuff!

Yeah, bring on the tech trees so I can build myself a huge army full of jackals with shields, covering jackals with sniper rifles, backed by a couple/few wraiths... :science:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 7, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have the idle thumbs reader mail jingle stuck in my head. Also I loved the best nick breckon moments. I can't remember the episode but it was pretty early on and nick was playing some sort of ridiculously hard medieval strategy game (I don't think it was was crusader kings). Any way it was really funny segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I think it some variant of Stronghold Crusader 1 or 2.

• Locked thread