Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

also how do you get rid of the lunatic cultist's illusions? beat him using the possessed hatchet because gently caress yes 'melee' weapons but none of the illusions ever vanished, the wiki wasn't very clear on it

ps gently caress crawltipedes, at least now I know to make some platforms over there I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Indecisive posted:

also how do you get rid of the lunatic cultist's illusions? beat him using the possessed hatchet because gently caress yes 'melee' weapons but none of the illusions ever vanished, the wiki wasn't very clear on it

ps gently caress crawltipedes, at least now I know to make some platforms over there I guess

You need to hit the real, solid cultist. If you hit the transperant fakes he'll summon a dragon/spooky head and add the fake to his conga line of death.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The cultist will have the x/32000 healthbar when you hover over him, too, in case you're not quite sure who's the most transparent.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finally, got myself a Celestial Shell. :toot: Took about a dozen Golem kills before one finally dropped, and he never gave me a hatchet.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Finally, got myself a Celestial Shell. :toot: Took about a dozen Golem kills before one finally dropped, and he never gave me a hatchet.

Now you need to get another one and keep the Stone, because apparently (according to the wiki) they stack.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It took me 63 fishing quests to get my phone. I also got everything worthwhile from fishing in pre-hardmode. In that time I built a huge bait farm, six fishing biomes, farmed almost all the good pre-hardmode items (just missing skates and the flower for the mana item) and dug a crapload of shafts to prevent biome spreading. Plans are underway for a sky fortress and a massive minecart track. There is some sort of sickness that makes me want to do everything before activating the rest of the game. :v:

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Just reached Skeletron Prime on Hardmode. God what a pain in the rear end that fight is with a yoyo. Guess its just the twins left. Should I farm some more Hallowed bars for the Hallowed set first or will I be fine in Adamantite Armor?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hallowed's a pretty incremental increase over Adamantite; it probably won't make the critical difference. What weapon do you intend to use on the twins? Megashark with either ichor or cursed bullets will roll them over hard.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
As soon as you beat the twins, you'll have access to Chlorophyte (and by extension, turtle).

Twins are usually easier than Skeletron Prime.

Just kill the twins and skip Hallowed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mailer posted:

It took me 63 fishing quests to get my phone.

Took me exactly 70 fishing quests. I got myself four Fisherman's Pocket Guides before this lousy Angler gave me a Weather Radio and, finally, a Sextant.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My achievements list says I've done 84, but there were probably as many again before the patch that fixed counting quests for the achievement.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I was pretty lucky and got the radio and pocket guide early, but 40 quests later and still no sign of the sextant :( probably gonna beat the moon lord first. Also no infini-bucket or sponge

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Indecisive posted:

I was pretty lucky and got the radio and pocket guide early, but 40 quests later and still no sign of the sextant :( probably gonna beat the moon lord first. Also no infini-bucket or sponge

Not getting any of those three is pretty sad RNG. I got 4 buckets, 6 sponges, and at least 3 guides and sextants and still never got a weather radio. Thankfully another guy on the server got an extra one.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
What's the earliest obtainable magic weapon? Is an all magic run (as in, never using melee or ranged even once) feasible?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

What's the earliest obtainable magic weapon? Is an all magic run (as in, never using melee or ranged even once) feasible?

you can make a staff with gems, but that sounds pretty difficult and maybe super miserable

Technically you could find a Wand of sparking but that thing is garbo

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Wand of Sparks, from a surface chest, or one of the staves made from gems and basic metal. Once you get one of those all-magic is pretty feasible but you might need to kill a few slimes to reach that.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

couldn't you theoretically make new worlds until you get a Water Bolt above 0' from the dungeon?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gadzuko posted:

The earliest magic weapon you're likely to get is the Wand of Sparking. You could rush surface chests until you get one (making new worlds if the RNG isnt in your favor) and use that until you can make a gem staff, at which point you should have decent weapons available to you for the rest of the game, but the wand of sparking is so crap that everything up to your first gem staff would be a slog, especially if you do expert mode.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Finding gems is much easier and perceptively more plentiful in the ice caverns. I found it was the best way to get the gems required for magic stuff early on. Gems are pretty plentiful in normal caverns, but tend to be more embedded within the rock, while on ice they sit on the surfaces.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
grabbing a water bolt is probably the way to go

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Excelzior posted:

couldn't you theoretically make new worlds until you get a Water Bolt above 0' from the dungeon?

You could, but by that point you'd likely end up with a wand of sparking.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Hallowed's a pretty incremental increase over Adamantite; it probably won't make the critical difference. What weapon do you intend to use on the twins? Megashark with either ichor or cursed bullets will roll them over hard.

Just managed to afford the Megashark and some bullets and holy moly it totally trivialises the twins compared with using a Yoyo.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

This is my first time into hard mode, and I've been playing all magic since I could first build a gem staff. I've managed to kill skeletron prime but not either of the other two mech bosses, which I'm gathering from things I'm reading is not the typical experience. A good way to get a decent early game magic weapon is to break shadow orbs in the corruption, but it's been fun discovering them for myself.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Davoren posted:

This is my first time into hard mode, and I've been playing all magic since I could first build a gem staff. I've managed to kill skeletron prime but not either of the other two mech bosses, which I'm gathering from things I'm reading is not the typical experience. A good way to get a decent early game magic weapon is to break shadow orbs in the corruption, but it's been fun discovering them for myself.

It used to be that Magic was the best way to fight in early hardmode (first with Crystal Storm, then with Golden Shower). Then they nerfed Golden Shower, and gave better alternatives for Ranged. It's still workable (Meteor Staff's amazing), but it's not as good as it used to be.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The Wand of Sparking is so terrible it should be craftable or just part of your starting equipment. It's probably better than a copper shortsword but pretty much every other weapon in the game outclasses it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The complete lack of knockback is what kills the wand of sparking (well, that and being abjectly awful in all other stats, too).

Good magic to take into early hardmode are the flower of fire and demon scythe, and you can replace them very soon after killing the wall. Golden Shower requires very little grinding, Cursed Flames are less good but still a solid basic attack spell. Poison staff is also reliable to obtain. If you're into fishing, a Crystal Serpent from the Hallow is extremely good early-hardmode. A Magic Dagger is also excellent and easy to get by running back and forth on your wall-of-flesh-fightin' bridge. Meteor Staff is mana inefficient, but excellent damage and impact stun with a unique angle of attack. It also requires no boss kills.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I was gonna recommend the book of skulls but I guess 1.2.3 nerfed the poo poo out of it like all the other magic weapons not named demon scythe.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I just retired my demon scythe and flower of fire, currently using poison staff, golden shower, crystal storm, and life drain, though I just got hold of unholy trident, and it seems like it might be good.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Meteor Staff vs Destroyer was how I got my first Expert mech kill because it wipes out probes as a matter of course and racks up damage if you aim where it crosses over itself. Just be sure to bring Celestial Cuffs.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

while we're on the topic of magic, getting both magic weapons from fishron convinced me to switch over from melee and holy moly do they rend through even the expert pumpkin moon!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

VineST posted:

while we're on the topic of magic, getting both magic weapons from fishron convinced me to switch over from melee and holy moly do they rend through even the expert pumpkin moon!

Ironically, Fishron's Melee weapon shreds them even harder...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Meteor Staff vs Destroyer was how I got my first Expert mech kill because it wipes out probes as a matter of course and racks up damage if you aim where it crosses over itself. Just be sure to bring Celestial Cuffs.

The meteor staff is, visually, my favorite weapon in the game. I loving love it. It's a shame it gets outclassed so quickly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excelzior posted:

In the multiplayer game I finished recently one of the players found a water bolt spellbook right up at the entrance to the dungeon so it's definitely possible.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The Wand of Sparking is so terrible it should be craftable or just part of your starting equipment. It's probably better than a copper shortsword but pretty much every other weapon in the game outclasses it.

It's still better than the slime staff with its near-zero drop rate and borderline useless minion.

Make the slime staff take a few (dozen?) gel, some wood, and maybe a gem. It'd still be terrible and pointless but you'd actually have the option to get and use it. Though really anyone who wants to be a summon just needs to do the following:
1. Make finish gear
2. Go to Ocean
3. Fish until you get a reaver shark
4. Dig hellavator
5. Make trips to hell until you have enough hellstone to make an imp staff
6. Continue playing game, prioritize a queen bee kill
7. Once queen bee is dead, make the bee armor
8. Run around killing poo poo with your 4 imp minions
9. Make other gear because imps will take forever to kill the WoF

Summon damage ranges from :geno: to :mediocre: for pretty much the entire game. Space Dragon is good but still functionally useless for Moon Lord because if you're within range for your dragon to attack him you're going to be eating hits from the boss constantly, and you don't have the defense to survive very long.

Magic is still good once you get a real spell of some king. Demon Scythe is amazing but you can farm forever to get it, while any magic user character should immediately head to crimson to farm and make the golden shower spell before doing anything else. Get that spell and make sure to kill nimbus enemies when it's raining because a nimbus wand and golden shower will provide you with a lot of damage early in hardmode.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

with my world a Corruption world, i feel like i've had an additional challenge in no ichor, and no vampire knives whatsoever. playing the good ol' fashioned way

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

VineST posted:

with my world a Corruption world, i feel like i've had an additional challenge in no ichor, and no vampire knives whatsoever. playing the good ol' fashioned way

I just made a small, secondary world that had Crimson, blitzed to hardmode, then got what I needed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Evil Fluffy posted:

Summon damage ranges from :geno: to :mediocre: for pretty much the entire game. Space Dragon is good but still functionally useless for Moon Lord because if you're within range for your dragon to attack him you're going to be eating hits from the boss constantly, and you don't have the defense to survive very long.

Very true, but summons can make for a nice support to another playstyle. I have a spider staff boosted by a Necromantic Scarab, and the pair of them will latch onto an enemy and just toss him into the sky if he doesn't have huge knockback resistance. Good for keeping things away from you.

Also today I beat Golem (Three times, I had several minutes left on my buffs and figured why not) and a Solar Eclipse, getting a Sun Stone from one of the Golem kills (The other two were a Fist and a Hatchet) and a Moon Stone from a Vampire. So that will probably replace my Charm of Myths. I also got a pair of Neptune's Shells, which I want to replace my Jellyfish Diving Gear with, but the problem is if I stick it in a vanity slot, I'm a fish all the time.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I seem to be doing the hardmode bosses incorrectly. Destroyer launches something like 20 probes simultaneously, which seems excessive. Is there a better order I should do them in?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

I seem to be doing the hardmode bosses incorrectly. Destroyer launches something like 20 probes simultaneously, which seems excessive. Is there a better order I should do them in?

This might help. Mostly just says you should have the highest tier of metal armour (Adamantite/Titanium) and wings before the mechanical bosses though. What weapon(s) are you using? Do you have an arena (something simple like a couple longish wooden platforms you can move around on works fine for a lot of bosses)? Are you using buffs?

Read posted:

Surface -> Underground/Caverns -> Tier 1/2/3 Metal Armour -> Eye of Cthulu -> Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu -> (Pre-hardmode Jungle, possibly Sky Islands if you have Gravity Potions) -> Skeletron -> Dungeon -> Hell -> Wall of Flesh -> Hardmode starts -> Tier 4/5/6 Metal Armour -> Wings -> The Destroyer / Twins -> Skeletron Prime -> Hallow/Frost Armour -> Hardmode Jungle -> Plantera -> (Chlorophyte armour if magic or melee / Turtle Armour if melee) / (Shroomite Armour if ranged) -> Hardmode Dungeon -> (Spectre Armour if magic) -> Lihzard Temple -> (Beetle Armour if melee) -> Pumpkin Moon / Frost Moon / Duke Fishron -> Cultists -> Pillars -> End of game.

You can cut out / rearrange a lot of this, especially the earliest stuff. But this is more or less the "intended" route, off the top of my head.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Read posted:

This might help. Mostly just says you should have the highest tier of metal armour (Adamantite/Titanium) and wings before the mechanical bosses though. What weapon(s) are you using? Do you have an arena (something simple like a couple longish wooden platforms you can move around on works fine for a lot of bosses)? Are you using buffs?

I have the wings and Orichalcum armor at the moment. Spider armor is hilarious for everyday walking around but does not have nearly enough defense for bosses. Good point about buffs, I have a bunch of plants but haven't made enough potions yet. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Everyone seems to ignore the stardust cells which is a shame because they're really good. They apply a DoT that goes up to 100 damage per second and also lights up enemies which makes them easier to spot. They also ram and shoot enemies on top of that and tend to prioritize enemies that you're attacking. Also they don't seem to have that range problem with the moon lord.