Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also this

quote:

Even now, Mr. Trump refuses to completely back down. He criticized the city’s settlement, arguing that the young men had been convicted by a jury and had probably been involved in some kind of criminal activity on the night of the assault.

“They walked away with $41 million and the best thing they had going for them was they were wilding in other parts of the park, beating the hell out of people,” Mr. Trump said, using a term, popularized after the Central Park assault, for young men going on a crime spree.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/01/nyregion/trumps-instinct-for-racially-charged-rhetoric-before-his-presidential-bid.html?referrer=&_r=0

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

"CIVIL LIBERTIES END WHEN AN ATTACK ON OUR SAFETY BEGINS!"

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Antti posted:

"CIVIL LIBERTIES END WHEN AN ATTACK ON OUR SAFETY BEGINS!"

Would you like to know more?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Chris Christie posted:

Donald Trump is the perfect Newton's 3rd Law candidate in answer to the Obama presidency.

If you don't know how the laws of motion work, don't reference them; it just makes you look like an even bigger idiot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Donald Trump is the greatest coefficient of friction to the force of Obama's angular momentum.

I studied number.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bloomberg Politics national poll.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

It's true, Trump hates everyone equally. Though some are more equal than others.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
"No 1st Choice" taking it down as the leading 2nd choice by a 2-1 margin

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

fronz posted:

Trump can't get more than ~30% of the primary vote. People will drop out and their voters will filter to Bush and Walker

Predicting this sort of thing this far out is silly. Second choice polls are complete garbage right now.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

Polls won't be accurate until the primary season is upon us. Most normal people haven't even bothered to investigate their options yet. Right now polls are mostly measuring what name people heard most recently. That's why it's all Trump/Clinton all the time.

It's not the 90's anymore grandpa.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fox Ironic posted:

You are literally the most disgusting person I have ever had the misfortune of being even tangentially exposed to. You are what is wrong with this country. You are the reason we are falling behind in science, education and technology. People like you, with your lovely opinions and judgmental attitudes, voting against the common welfare of the American people. Sociology is clear on the subject; stigmatization of individuals with low socioeconomic status are the largest factor limiting the opportunities of individuals trying to escape poverty.

Yes, you read that correctly, your attitudes on poverty are why there are so many poor people in this country. I hope you have live on minimum wage some day. That way you'd have some grip on reality.

You seem upset.

One might even say . . . . Angry.

Boy have I got a 2016 Presidential candidate for you. Are you interested in making American Great again?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cruz's Super PAC "Keep the Promise 1" launches a website: http://www.keepthepromise1.com/

This should not be confused with "Keep the Promise 2" and "Keep the Promise 3", which are legally different entities.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Trump is the most racist person you will never meet, therefore he thinks he's the least racist person you will ever meet, because he's bad at discrete math.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

greatn posted:

Trump is the most racist person you will never meet, therefore he thinks he's the least racist person you will ever meet, because he's bad at discrete math.

A lot of Americans subscribe to the 'magic word' theory of racism. As long as you don't say the magic words (racial epithets) then you can't be racist.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

The Nastier Nate posted:

- That he is immune to moneyed interests. The man's a billionare, the only one that can bribe him is a trillionare.

there are many numbers between a billion and a trillion

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Chris Christie posted:

Millions of mouth-breathing, American Idol/The View/Price is Right-watching retards who have the good sense to sit at home on election day every year will find themselves compelled by an irresisitable urge to put on their cleanest pair of sweat-pants and head on down to their local church/grade school/post-office/wherever their polling place is and vote for that entertaining guy with the hair from The Apprentice.

Minor critique, you left out an opportunity to suggest they ride in on fat people scooters.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I would like to get a picture of every 2016 candidate in some kind of baseball-related outfit, please

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Minor critique, you left out an opportunity to suggest they ride in on fat people scooters.

Also that they are loyal Golden Corral patrons.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Chris Christie posted:

Also that they are loyal Golden Corral patrons.

Lol if you think the wears sweats to Walmart and eats at Golden Corral demo isn't first in line to vote Republican every single election

You know that more than half of the voting age population showed up in 2012 right? There isn't some magic untapped demo that is going to come out of the woodwork to put you guys back in charge. You haven't gotten a handle on your racists, sexists and homophobes yet and that's why you keep losing. It's not the fatties who put their wawa carts on credit - those are the people already voting Republican.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Before Ted Cruz fired the starting pistol we were all talking about how we should expect another horse race similar to the 2012 primaries but I don't think any of the candidates overtook Romney for nearly as long or as strongly as Trump has been maintaining the lead. I think this may be for real.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Necc0 posted:

but I don't think any of the candidates overtook Romney for nearly as long or as strongly as Trump has been maintaining the lead.

Perry and Gingrich each had the lead for around six weeks, at times by double digits. Trump's been on top around two weeks.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized my new congressman is Joe Wilson. LOL.

I think primarying this guy might actually be impossible. Maybe I should become a Democrat.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Slate Action posted:

Perry and Gingrich each had the lead for around six weeks, at times by double digits. Trump's been on top around two weeks.

Ah I'm mis-remembering then. I thought no one was able to hold it for more than two weeks and with a marginal lead at that.

Guess I'll give it another month before I start putting money down.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Mirthless posted:

Lol if you think the wears sweats to Walmart and eats at Golden Corral demo isn't first in line to vote Republican every single election

You know that more than half of the voting age population showed up in 2012 right? There isn't some magic untapped demo that is going to come out of the woodwork to put you guys back in charge. You haven't gotten a handle on your racists, sexists and homophobes yet and that's why you keep losing. It's not the fatties who put their wawa carts on credit - those are the people already voting Republican.

I don't know what's funnier: forums poster Chris Christie's gibberish or your suggestion that Republicans keep losing. They control a majority of the Congress currently and it is yet to be seen whether this year will be a wave year for Democrats.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
The Donald throws like a girl.

Anyhow this Thursday night I want THUNDERDOME levels of brawlin. Trump will have to drop sick burns all over the place to make up for his debate skills gap.

I can't wait!! :holy:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Such a flip flopper

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

Ah I'm mis-remembering then. I thought no one was able to hold it for more than two weeks and with a marginal lead at that.

Guess I'll give it another month before I start putting money down.

My memory of Perry is that the media and GOP establishment were hyping him up like crazy, and then we also got his announcement and a wave of somewhat polished TV ads, and as a result he surged into the lead but for the most part he personally remained out of the spotlight until the debates, where he immediately crashed and burned.

Newt at least did well in early debates, soundly won the SC debate and actually won the state primary. But then Romney zeroed in on him and clowned him in the Florida debate, won that primary, and the dream was dead.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Feather posted:

I don't know what's funnier: forums poster Chris Christie's gibberish or your suggestion that Republicans keep losing. They control a majority of the Congress currently and it is yet to be seen whether this year will be a wave year for Democrats.

Midterm turnout is low and Republicans had way more enthusiasm in 2014. It's easy for Republicans to dominate midterms for a lot of reasons - gerrymandering, a better local election strategy and a lot more money coming in through super PACs. These advantages aren't as much of a factor in the Presidential, if at all.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Chris Christie posted:

My memory of Perry is that the media and GOP establishment were hyping him up like crazy, and then we also got his announcement and a wave of somewhat polished TV ads, and as a result he surged into the lead but for the most part he personally remained out of the spotlight until the debates, where he immediately crashed and burned.

Newt at least did well in early debates, soundly won the SC debate and actually won the state primary. But then Romney zeroed in on him and clowned him in the Florida debate, won that primary, and the dream was dead.

it was the pain killers and debates for perry that I think helped his downfall

can you have a downfall if you were never on top

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Necc0 posted:

Before Ted Cruz fired the starting pistol we were all talking about how we should expect another horse race similar to the 2012 primaries but I don't think any of the candidates overtook Romney for nearly as long or as strongly as Trump has been maintaining the lead. I think this may be for real.

In 2012 Romney was the great white hope of the establishment and the tea party part of the base had one night stands in rapid succession with all the wingnut candidates du jour. This time the table has been flipped with several boring establishment candidates diluting the vote while Trump is hoarding a lot of the wingnut vote. I just can't bring myself to truly hope for the yoojest, most luxurious presidential campaign yet.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Chris Christie posted:

I just realized my new congressman is Joe Wilson. LOL.

I think primarying this guy might actually be impossible. Maybe I should become a Democrat.

I just had the realization today that you're posting unironically I just wanted to let you know that. That isn't a slam against myself by the way you should reflect on that.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Veskit posted:

I just had the realization today that you're posting unironically I just wanted to let you know that. That isn't a slam against myself by the way you should reflect on that.

I thought the same thing until Friday he is so delusional that it's really hard to believe he is a real person

Can't wait to hear about the polls needing to be unskewed in October next year

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Third World Reggin posted:

it was the pain killers and debates for perry that I think helped his downfall

Technically everyone NotRommey had some time on top last cycle, but every NotRomney cratered.

In Perry's case there three things that really killed him, the debates, the ranch controversey, and uhhh can't remember the third thing.

Qued
Dec 23, 2013

Lawnie posted:

An average of a number of polls will almost always be a better predictor of the result than looking at any one of that sample individually.

I wouldn't say that that is true. Making a predictive algorithm by averaging other predictions is usually a bad idea. While you get the benefits of each of the other prediction algorithms you also get their problems. As an example let's just say everyone but cnn uses the phones and cnn uses the internet to poll people. Let's say that gallup calls early while fox calls late. The thing is, each of these choices would make them better at predicting a particular demographic (geeks, early risers, teens) but when you average them all out each of the things that you got from making these choices were canceled out by the other polls not doing the same thing. So when you take a composite of them all you really get is white noise. You get uninteresting data that is unable to predict an upset because what made these polls unique is gone [consider the situation where geeks decided the election somehow].

Now if you want to come back and say that they have a great track record, sure that's fine and all but keep in mind that they were pulling data from people who are really good at polling. Averaging already good averages that take into account all of the things I'm talking about will obviously work because any of them would have been a good predictor. Are the people doing these composite polls good at what they do? Probably. The fact is though that they're acting based on the notion that a larger sample = a better sample which isn't true, especially when you don't have individual data.

Just a disclaimer- gallup, internet, geeks etc are placeholders. Pick any demographics/polls you want.
Also haven't read the guys stuff but will if you think it's worth the time.

Qued fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 4, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Donald Trump is doomed.

Apollo_Creed
Aug 4, 2002

I am the Master of Disaster.
It looks like the Kasich boomlet may already be already fading, but he sure timed his entrance right to just sneak into the big-kid debate.

I have this horrible feeling there is no way the debate can live up to the hype, but I continue to dream!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Full Battle Rattle posted:

A lot of Americans subscribe to the 'magic word' theory of racism. As long as you don't say the magic words (racial epithets) then you can't be racist.

You forgot the addendum to that rule, "you're only a racist if you say it to a black person directly."

• Locked thread