Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

i want to make an editor that's a web browser engine running atom's web browser via emscripten and using suspicious dish's javascript x server to display it

i am taking part in absolutely none of this. my good name will not be sullied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if you'd rather make a javascript wayland, that would be even better

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

if you'd rather make a javascript wayland, that would be even better

https://github.com/magcius/peabody

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hunngh i've been trying to get a wayland client working in crystal/rust and both of those languages making wrapping c libs extremely easy and i still can't even get a connection to open and here you go and do it in js

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

:eyepop:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:byodood:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
A 2010 chatlog wherein I am bad at computers and some guy gets really mad about having to use sudo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh boy 5 year old chat log. cant wait to dig into this :yum:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i regret reading

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

i regret reading

But...but... my post! My beautiful post!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

to be fair that guy who wont sudo was a real idiot

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
It's less that he didn't want to use sudo. It's more that none of the support people want to talk about his use case.

When nobody is answering your questions and is telling you to be quiet and seek help elsewhere, it makes sense to just leave.

I wonder how many unique people are required to tell him to cram it before he gets the message.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that guy is dead. makes you think..

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
if you hang around the ubuntu channel you will see that poo poo often boring chatlog

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Coolwhoami posted:

A 2010 chatlog wherein I am bad at computers and some guy gets really mad about having to use sudo

sudo apt-get upgrade

What was the problem and the solution?

I don't recall depmod really failing that often unless I'm running custom stuff, and i/o errors could mean anything from a bad disk to a full filesystem.

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 31, 2015

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Celexi posted:

if you hang around the ubuntu channel you will see that poo poo often boring chatlog

Is that what sysadmin hell is like? Having to provide bespoke solutions to new users due to a codebase with poor user interaction that doesn't properly describe errors or useful information for people who haven't been using the software since its inception? Trying to convince sperglords to take their problems elsewhere instead of polluting the chatroom with dumb questions?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont sign your posts

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I'm downloading Windows 10 right now. We don't have windows 8 to kick around anymore... gotta step it up!

Agile scrum meeting tomorrow at 8 in the usual conference room, come early for donuts.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

celeron 300a posted:

Agile scrum meeting tomorrow at 8 in the usual conference room, come early for donuts.

host your swinger parties at home thanks

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

celeron 300a posted:

What was the problem and the solution?

I don't recall depmod really failing that often unless I'm running custom stuff, and i/o errors could mean anything from a bad disk to a full filesystem.

I was trying to install wine and I couldn't do it because one of the dependancies didn't install correctly. They had me uninstall and reinstall the dependancies and it worked fine. That laptop was a piece of poo poo (HDD had constant SMART warnings) and thus was perfect for what I was doing, loving around with ubuntu because I didn't know anything about linux at all (still don't).

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"Free Software" v "Open Source" as Marxist Dialectical Materialism

How is the "Free Software" movement practicing "dialectical materialism" you may ask. Just look at how it is currently structured. You have not a single organization of "free software" proponents but you actually have TWO such organizations at apparent odds with each other, Stallman's Free Software Foundation and The Raymond-Torvalds Open Source Initiative. However BOTH of these organizations have the same goal of eventually making all software development a GPL open source monopoly. Anybody who has even studied the little of the Marxist "dialectical materialism" technique you find in an encyclopedia should be able to smell a FISH that has been laying in the sun for a WEEK in this little arrangement. Essentially the Marxist "dialectical materialism" formula the movement is working on is this.

Free Software Foundation (Thesis) vs Open Source Initiative (Antithesis) = GPL Monopoly (Synthesis)

In this "dialectical materialism" good cop-bad cop game against more traditional free software under BSD/MIT type licenses and in the Public Domain, and commercial proprietary software Eric Raymond's Open Source Initiative plays the "good cop". These are generally seen in public as the compromising crowd that say they want proprietary software to remain at the APPLICATION and ENTERTAINMENT level for some purposes and to a large part it is their lobbying proprietary software companies like Borland, SyBase and Oracle that is responsible for the few proprietary apps that Linux does have. Basically this organization is where the term "Open Source" has come from for all free source code-binary software distributions regardless of the licensing or lack thereof (Public Domain) that a given project's "community" uses. However like with the Free Software Foundation's public crusade for all GPL "free software" The Open Source Initiative's proprietary friendliness is basically smoke and mirrors. When people like Eric Raymond and Linus Torvalds say that proprietary and "open source" software are compatible what they REALLY mean is that the proprietary software is compatible until they can legally "filch 'n' copy" enough of a proprietary program's unpatented features to make a reasonable knock off of it under the GPL.

Raymond is a classic "useful idiot" in this Marxist game who apparently does not see that he is a part of the game. As an extreme Anarchist Libertarian Raymond does not believe in copyrights and patents seeing them rightly as government granted monopolies over intellectual property and not the property itself. He basically sees the GPL as simply a way to nullify copyright on software and all the derivatives and advancements that come from it therefore using it more in pursuance of Libertarian (copyright and patent elimination) rather than Marxist goals. It was with the arrival of Raymond's "Open Source Initiative" organization that a tool for selling Stallman's "Free Software" philosophy to businessmen was truly put in place.

However a close look at Eric Raymond shows that he is pretty much as flakey and "exotic" in his world view as the "Free Software" movement's more Marxist members. It turns out that even though Raymond belongs to the Objectivist Ayn Rand school of libertarianism that he is not quite an Atheist after all though he does retain the extreme anti Christianity of the Objectivist Libertarian movement. Rather Raymond practices the religion of witchcraft or Wicca that he calls "Neo Paganism" himself. Along with his Objectivist Libertarian political beliefs you can find a very extensive Q and A file about "Neo Paganism" or witchcraft at his web site.

While both give lip service support to the traditional Open licensing arrangements (BSD/MIT/PD) and the large variety of new open licensing arrangements that have come about with the popularity of Open Source Software the main preference is for the GPL in both organizations. This takes care of the Thesis and the Antithesis in a Marxist "dialectical materialism" scheme but what about the Synthesis. Is there ANY evidence to show what that might be yet. The answer is MAYBE. The Synthesis at least for now seems to be located in a third "free software" organization called "Free Developers". This organization amongst other obscenities has PIRATED the AMERICAN DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE as the basis for its own ANTI American anti business and anti Intellectual Property manifesto. The Eventual goal of Free Developers is to become a communist MONOPOLY of GPL software developers from both the "Free Software" and "Open Source" sides of the "dialectical materialism" equation. Such a monopoly would make the original IBM and Microsoft look like the rankest of amateurs in the monopoly maintenance department.

The Free Developers idea is that a MONOPOLY over Free software would eventually be able to enforce the distribution fee provision of the GPL and tax users of "free" software because even more than Microsoft is now THEY WOULD BE THE ONLY SOURCE FOR ANY SOFTWARE.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey gapacho do you work for redhat

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
nah, i;m on the wrong (i.e. right) side of the country

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Intel Skylake requires proprietary (and probably encrypted) firmware blobs to be loaded into the GPU part of the CPU before it'll work

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/intel-linux-graphics-firmwares

Part of it is a graphics execution scheduler that runs GPU-side as opposed to CPU-side. Surely Intel would never artificially limit the performance of a QA-passing piece of silicon depending on how much money you paid for it or anything like that...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Coolwhoami posted:

I was trying to install wine and I couldn't do it because one of the dependancies didn't install correctly. They had me uninstall and reinstall the dependancies and it worked fine. That laptop was a piece of poo poo (HDD had constant SMART warnings) and thus was perfect for what I was doing, loving around with ubuntu because I didn't know anything about linux at all (still don't).

ubuntu ships broken wine packages

if you wanted working wine you should have installed debian instead

ubuntu's hosed up packages are contributed by a yosposter.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ubuntu ships broken wine packages

if you wanted working wine you should have installed debian instead

ubuntu's hosed up packages are contributed by a yosposter.

lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best way to fix ubuntu is to not use it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
on my fedora after i installed wine, using the official mono packages instead of the fedora ones improved wine quite a lot

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
but yeah ubuntu is trash

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Well yeah, I know that now

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Coolwhoami posted:

Well yeah, I know that now

i see your new to this thread

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Celexi posted:

on my fedora

m'linux

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

superior tiling window manager

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

b0red posted:

superior tiling window manager

Special high intensity tiles

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
window tiling intensifies

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

auto monitor detection? no thanks, I prefer to manually use xrandr myself.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I finally got my dual head setup to stick in mint. which is nice because the motherfuckers who run the building cut the power whenever they feel like it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

linux bad

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

b0red posted:

auto monitor detection? no thanks, I prefer to manually use xrandr myself.

xrandr? no thanks, I prefer to manually write my own xrandr replacement in lisp myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://wingolog.org/archives/2015/08/04/developing-v8-with-guix

... or, i don't know, you could not run a bleeding-edge distribution release on a machine you depend on to do your job