Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

what was the golden age of rpgs if not the ps2 era

I'd assume the snes, even though the ps2 was probably even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PS1 had a lot of good poo poo too.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

most SNES rpgs are overrated and plauged by nostalgiafags

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FFT, FF 7 to 9, Suikoden 2, Xenogears, Wild ARMS, BOF 3 and 4, Vagrant Story, Grandia, Lunar Silver Story, Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile. Hell, it definitely was the true Golden Age, not the SNES.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh yeah, Parasite Eve, Legaia and Legend of Dragoon were loving tight.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

PS1 even moreso.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
ps1 had some good sjrpgs like eternal eyes and kartia

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

PS1 even moreso.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll agree PS1 had tons of quality, though in terms of sheer quantity the SNES and PS2 had it beat.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

frank.club posted:

Pokemon games never ever go down in price. Heart gold is forty dollars dollars used

this is true of most nintendo games but yeah pokemon especially will always be full price

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pokemon X/Y are cheaper used than Platinum or HG/SS though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

what was the golden age of rpgs if not the ps2 era

it never ended. jrpgs ftw

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

There were really high quality games but not nearing the quantity on PS2. I think there hasn't been a "golden age" or whatever, the truth is that good JRPGs seemed to skip the PS3/360.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's like...Nier, the FFXIII trilogy and uh. 15 Tales Of... games that I will never play.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i want to like the atelier games because i like the frilly dresses but i think i dont actually like the crafting system the games are based around

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't think they skipped a generation as much as there are probably not going to be good console JRPGs anymore :/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't think they skipped a generation as much as there are probably not going to be good console JRPGs anymore :/

FFXV, DQ11 and Persona 5, and the generation is just starting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SMTxFE I guess too.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

is xenosaga worth mentioning i aint played it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

not xenosaga lol the wii one

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i did play xenosaga

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was excited for xenoblade chronicles x but I watched some of the gameplay stream from E3 and uh it looks kind of boring :/

In Training posted:

FFXV, DQ11 and Persona 5, and the generation is just starting.

I'm excited for those games and hope they are good, at which point we can wait until 2022 for Persona 6.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

i hope they do another smt spin off like devil summoners, digital devil saga, or raidou before doing another persona again

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Stravinsky posted:

i hope they do another smt spin off like devil summoners, digital devil saga, or raidou before doing another persona again

how about 10 more persona spinoffs?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stravinsky posted:

SMT 5 not on a system that needs to use sprites

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

PS1 even moreso.

Stop having bad opinions.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

how about 10 more persona spinoffs?

How about something good, with press turn.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Slur posted:

Stop having bad opinions.

Don't post like this, in the I.Z.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xenoblade was epic

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They made the mascot comic relief character the second coolest guy and the best character in the party

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

not xenosaga lol the wii one

xenoblade was good, the world and story were cool and the combat was pretty good. it's really loving long though lol, like 70 hours if you skip most of the optional content. also it's stupid easy to just run around doing optional content for 2970 hours and then grossly overlevel everything until the endgame. i liked it a lot though and i'm pumped for the sequel

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My view from someone who didn't like Xenoblade is that the combat was kinda boring, it's like FFXII without gambits, and all of the side quests are MMO style "Collect 5 Bear skins". Hell I think even a main quest or two was like that. I played about 10 hours of it before I stopped.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

My view from someone who didn't like Xenoblade is that the combat was kinda boring, it's like FFXII without gambits, and all of the side quests are MMO style "Collect 5 Bear skins". Hell I think even a main quest or two was like that. I played about 10 hours of it before I stopped.

did you do any of the sidequests from named people? there were two kinds of sidequests, generic collectathon/kill quests and then designed quests from the named npcs that usually related to their little character arc and changed their affinity on the affinity chart. some of those are still bear skin quests but some of the otherws were pretty cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also i like that one of the minor named npcs in the starting town that doesn't have a quest has a unique dialogue hidden behind a plot flag that spoils a major plot point if you talk to her lol

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't know if wizardry clones count but elminage original is cool, eo:u is cool, i'm about to play eo4

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the best xenoblade quest chain was the drug dealer nopon and the last fight on it was amazing

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
in elminage original, all enemies have items to let them attack and can't attack without them so i had a wrestler dualwielding the entire digestive tracts of mimics for a little while thanks to a thief

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

the best xenoblade quest chain was the drug dealer nopon and the last fight on it was amazing

nopon loving rule and riki's the best pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

PS3/360 generation only had a handful of JRPGs worth playing, and Final Fantasy was like 60% of them.

Play Ni no Kuni

• Locked thread