Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Larry Parrish posted:

It's OK to be mad about things that don't affect you, but it's stupid to be mad about things that don't happen at all.

naw man it's a huge problem I read about it in a 55 year old UU high school teacher's blog on Daily Kos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
heads up, mr tabletop miniatures and mr grand strategy computer games are gonna school us about how easy it is to deal with the cops when you're poor and mexican in arizona or poor and black in missouri

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

shut up you fags

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The Red Bull flugtag happened over the weekend here, and had to be shut down by the coast guard because of the amount of spectators on the river and the fact that a lot of them were blocking the commercial shipping lane.

Article here:
http://koin.com/2015/08/01/flugtag-fun-shut-down-early-by-coast-guard/

Video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl90Y5FOD_U

The amount of dense people who can't grasp the concept that they were A)blocking a federally controlled shipping lane that the permit did not cover B)told to move out of the way in advance of the ship even coming down the lane. Actually, the big ship is a bully and should have gone down another part of the river and/or waited for the event goers to finish.

I'm all the brosephs in frame yelling what the gently caress while wearing a backwards baseball cap on dads boat

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

I'm all the brosephs in frame yelling what the gently caress while wearing a backwards baseball cap on dads boat

keep portland weird bro

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

These WorkSafeBC videos are goddamn gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vJIwO9fmNY

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

im full of poo poo posted:

heads up, mr tabletop miniatures and mr grand strategy computer games are gonna school us about how easy it is to deal with the cops when you're poor and mexican in arizona or poor and black in missouri

fuuuuck you're right, this changes everything man

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

simplefish posted:

So the feller was killed by the part that *wasn't* called 'a widowmaker'?

I suppose that's the problem with that sortof term. It puts all the focus on that part of the system, sometimes to the detriment of other parts.

If I'm remembering my terminology right, a "widowmaker" is a very large and heavy, old branch that's liable to suddenly fall off the tree and crush your skull for no good reason.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah, it's shown in the video.

I was just surprised that it wasn't what did for him. And my point was that once he thought he was safe from such a severely-named threat, I think it surprised him too

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

GotLag posted:

Did the person reading the crane load chart not realise the barge would also rotate when the load moved off centre?

I don't think it was the crane load chart that was the problem so much as the barge-load chart. It is like someone suggested using barges because they float and left it at that. There are two barges there and the one doesn't have a problem with what was going on until the bridge fell onto the crane and pulled it over the side. The other barge, i dunno, I guess it wasn't sufficiently floaty?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Slanderer posted:

According to this article the Coast Guard cleared the channel, but then some idiots jumped in, dropped anchor and tied their boats together. Presumably, that video is from one of those idiots.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/08/unprecedented_number_of_boats.html

quote:

Martin said some of the boaters were trying to cooperate, while others were putting up a stink as the Portland Spirit sat idle. She said the general sense she got from the boaters was one of "Why is this boat trying to interrupt our fun?"
What a bunch of insufferable twats. "Why are these people trying to engage in their business while I'm out having fun?"

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

GotLag posted:

What a bunch of insufferable twats. "Why are these people trying to engage in their business while I'm out having fun?"

Welcome to America, bitch. The land of adult temper tantrums.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phanatic posted:

In America, you have the right against self-incrimination. Arrested, not-arrested, suspect, not a suspect, you have the right to shut up and not talk to the cops. Miranda rights aren't rights you get once the cops read you the statement or declare you a suspect, Miranda was just a case where the Supreme Court decided the cops have to inform you of some of the rights you have when they arrest you.

Same here. But do you have the right to get a government-issued lawyer before you are a suspect? Here you certainly don't.

"Sir, I'm giving you a speeding ticket."
"I demand you get me one of your lawyers first!"

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

In fact after WW2, somebody even tried to market one in the US.

The deluxe model had a safety, foregrip, and a stock that wasn't a piece of 2x8 cut into a rifle stock shape.

As a european, I feel like its a good thing that our scandinavian middle-east gangbanger retards are probably too dumb to read an english pdf and learn how to make these or they might start shooting eachother more instead of stabbing. As it is, the only guns they can get their hands on are old soviet era firearms they smuggle in from poland that keep jamming up on them. This looks like it would take me a couple of hours to hammer together in my shop, tops.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

im full of poo poo posted:

i'm literally a poor mexican from rural california, you loving moron

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Durr lets flip through this guy's post history. Hmm. Nerdy computer games? Must be white and middle class. #NotRacist

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Minimalist Program posted:

As a european, I feel like its a good thing that our scandinavian middle-east gangbanger retards are probably too dumb to read an english pdf and learn how to make these or they might start shooting eachother more instead of stabbing. As it is, the only guns they can get their hands on are old soviet era firearms they smuggle in from poland that keep jamming up on them. This looks like it would take me a couple of hours to hammer together in my shop, tops.

You and everyone else, gangbangers included. But the real thing about Europe is not gun control but rather ammo control. What are you gonna shoot out of it?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

simplefish posted:

You and everyone else, gangbangers included. But the real thing about Europe is not gun control but rather ammo control. What are you gonna shoot out of it?

I have no idea - thank god. I guess if you went to the trouble of building a zip gun that might explode in your hand, you wouldn't shy away from trying to hack together some buckshot from match heads and plastic cannisters or whatever the gently caress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

simplefish posted:

Noives!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's probably way easier to just buy a gun on the black market then make a black powder blunderbuss in your loving garage or whatever.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

It's probably way easier to just buy a gun on the black market then make a black powder blunderbuss in your loving garage or whatever.

Haha yeah let me just head on down to the freaking Danish black market and buy a gun and some ammo.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
there's like 5 guns in the entire country and the police has those.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

StarkingBarfish posted:

the goiania incident.

This poo poo trolls me like nothing else: "NO THE OWNERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGES, NO THE DOCTORS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGES, NO THE NUCLEAR AGENCY WILL PAY ME BOATLOADS OF MONEY"

Just... At what point are the deaths not the direct result of these retards looting what they shouldn't be looting. That's like me stealing a car where somebody left the keys in the ignition and hitting 50 people, then saying: "NUH UH, MERCEDES IS TO BLAME FOR THIS!!!"
Or like "Terrorists steal mortar shells from stockpile and kill 20 people" FRENCH GOVERNMENT OWES ME REPARATIONS!!! (recently a shitload of C4 got stolen in France for reference)

A chicken always has to get plucked in these incidents, and it disgusts me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If Herbie Goes Bananas was never released, the world would have had far fewer nuclear casualties.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Samuel posted:

This poo poo trolls me like nothing else: "NO THE OWNERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGES, NO THE DOCTORS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGES, NO THE NUCLEAR AGENCY WILL PAY ME BOATLOADS OF MONEY"

Just... At what point are the deaths not the direct result of these retards looting what they shouldn't be looting. That's like me stealing a car where somebody left the keys in the ignition and hitting 50 people, then saying: "NUH UH, MERCEDES IS TO BLAME FOR THIS!!!"
Or like "Terrorists steal mortar shells from stockpile and kill 20 people" FRENCH GOVERNMENT OWES ME REPARATIONS!!! (recently a shitload of C4 got stolen in France for reference)

A chicken always has to get plucked in these incidents, and it disgusts me.

I think it's actually the fault of whoever owned and failed to properly dispose of the dangerously radioactive material, and not the uneducated looters who didn't even know what radiation was. Those looters thought the Cherenkov glow was literally magic.

Edit: And it's not like they broke into a hospital, by that point it was almost fully demolished with just a few walls left standing.

LookieLoo fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 4, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Same here. But do you have the right to get a government-issued lawyer before you are a suspect? Here you certainly don't.

I think you only get a lawyer if you're going to trial. Like, you have to be attested and charged, not just a suspect. And I think there's a limit to what kind of trials you get a lawyer for. You don't get one for a speeding ticket, for example. Only criminal proceedings.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

LookieLoo posted:

I think it's actually the fault of whoever owned and failed to properly dispose of the dangerously radioactive material, and not the uneducated looters who didn't even know what radiation was. Those looters thought the Cherenkov glow was literally magic.

Edit: And it's not like they broke into a hospital, by that point it was almost fully demolished with just a few walls left standing.

At what point are they liable to think anything on that private property belongs to them? Be it gasoline, nuclear waste, drugs, construction machines, copper, anything. It's not theirs to take possession of and anything they steal off of that property as at their own peril.
Since the hospital was in a phase of being dismantled it's speculation to say whether or not the radioactive waste would still be safely disposed of, before the thieves took it upon themselves to steal raw material from the building site.

Edit: Breaking into a construction site is still trespassing and breaking and entering.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Samuel posted:

At what point are they liable to think anything on that private property belongs to them? Be it gasoline, nuclear waste, drugs, construction machines, copper, anything. It's not theirs to take possession of and anything they steal off of that property as at their own peril.
Since the hospital was in a phase of being dismantled it's speculation to say whether or not the radioactive waste would still be safely disposed of, before the thieves took it upon themselves to steal raw material from the building site.

Edit: Breaking into a construction site is still trespassing and breaking and entering.

"Attractive nuisance" seems relevant here, though it usually limits its scope to children. Given the unusual nature of the hazard, I think it could make sense to apply its reasoning here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Samuel posted:

It becomes a matter of what's the easiest lever to affect change with, especially with the scale of casualties a single medical source could theoretically cause. What's easier? A looter harm prevention course? Or maybe a whole societal upending to remove the strata of people desperate enough to loot things? No, you make the operations responsible for security and disposal.

In most of the western world, operations has similar responsibilities and liabilities for gasoline and drugs by the way.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Samuel posted:

Be it gasoline, nuclear waste, drugs, construction machines, copper, anything.

One of these things is not like the others, and it's not ridiculous to think that it should've been treated differently.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Samuel posted:

people will steal poo poo from something that is abandoned/being dismantled or whatever. if they steal nuclear material they can potentially endanger completely innocent people who did not steal anything and wouldn't either so maybe make sure that poo poo is safely removed as a priority.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

"Attractive nuisance" seems relevant here, though it usually limits its scope to children. Given the unusual nature of the hazard, I think it could make sense to apply its reasoning here.

Obviously these individuals were adults knowing full well the hazards of navigating a construction site and hospital at that, if they were to recount the possible dangers beforehand.
Furthermore attractive nuisance is invalidated when the appropriate amount of fencing and warning signs are placed on said fencing around the construction site. Which I forget to mention had men in white biosuits and respirators working on it.

zedprime posted:

In most of the western world, operations has similar responsibilities and liabilities for gasoline and drugs by the way.

Yet if somebody steals Gasoline from me, neither me, the gas station , or British Petroleum are accountable for the eventual damages caused.
I'd argue the same goes for any "medicine" I might have lying around my private property that a burglar steals and OD's on.

LookieLoo posted:

One of these things is not like the others, and it's not ridiculous to think that it should've been treated differently.

It's absolutely speculative to say it wouldn't be properly removed in time before it was stolen. It just further proves that thieves got to it before the proper removal services got to it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Samuel posted:

Yet if somebody steals Gasoline from me, neither me, the gas station , or British Petroleum are accountable for the eventual damages caused.
I'd argue the same goes for any "medicine" I might have lying around my private property that a burglar steals and OD's on.
If you close up shop and leave the underground reservoir contaminated, you are responsible if it releases gunk or gas into the environment whether by nature or a yokel with a backhoe. If you don't post the warnings and make a good faith effort to enforce fill-up protocol preventing spills, you are responsible for releases to the environment, but that's a bit off the specific topic.

If you leave a dispensary full of opiates and stimulants unlocked, you're getting in big trouble when narc IDs you as the source.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Nothing quite like a few terabecquerel to remind the savages that they oughtn't be poking about where they don't belong. Sure, you could remove a source and place it somewhere safer, but then the uneducated have missed the sort of important object lesson that only comes with everyone in the neighborhood losing their teeth, hair and the internal surface of their gut dying and their skin sloughing off.

But seriously, in that case everything was so utterly wrong and broken: the clinic owners were stopped by the police from removing the source until they paid a bribe (? - my memory might not be 100% here).

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 4, 2015

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

zedprime posted:

If you close up shop and leave the underground reservoir contaminated, you are responsible if it releases gunk or gas into the environment whether by nature or a yokel with a backhoe. If you don't post the warnings and make a good faith effort to enforce fill-up protocol preventing spills, you are responsible for releases to the environment, but that's a bit off the specific topic.

If you leave a dispensary full of opiates and stimulants unlocked, you're getting in big trouble when narc IDs you as the source.

"Was in the process of being decommissioned" is different from "Was decommissioned and left around" in this case it was the former.

IPCRESS posted:

But seriously, in that case everything was so utterly wrong and broken: the clinic owners were stopped by the police from removing the source until they paid a bribe (? - my memory might not be 100% here).

Now THIS is OSHA.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Carbon dioxide posted:

You don't have the right to a public defender here. You have the right to an effective defense, and that means that if you're too poor to afford a lawyer, you're entitled to a public defender, but if you're sufficiently well-off to afford an attorney you're going to need to hire your own.

Being a suspect doesn't trigger that. There's no right to be represented by a lawyer while you're a suspect, because being a suspect isn't a legally meaningful thing. All it means is that the cops are looking at you with more intent than in general. If they arrest you, you get to have a lawyer. If they want to question you, you get to have a lawyer. If they just suspect you, there's no reason you'd even know that you're a suspect.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Samuel posted:

Now THIS is OSHA.

*Anakin Skywalker crashes his pod racer into a way too tight valley*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Segmentation Fault posted:

*Anakin Skywalker crashes his pod racer into a way too tight valley*

this is a weird euphemism for sex with Natalie Portman