Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Junior G-man posted:

coleslaw and bourbon cocktails.

Holy hell did I ever read this wrong at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Nhilist posted:

Looks great, and what a great idea, I know what I am giving a shot for dinner. Just out of curiosity, does it not dry the kraut out to much, or do you add it late in the bake?

I drain the kraut extensively and cook it for the entire time, i clump it up a bit, so its not a thin layer, and it stays moist just fine.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

angor posted:

We pizza'd last night. Recently bought an IR thermometer and learned that my stone hits 600f on the middle rack. Didn't get as much blistering as I wanted on the bottom, will move the stone a bit lower next round.

Mozzarella, mushroom, smoked paprika, cotija. Also minced a chipotle in adobo and mixed it into the sauce for this one. It was the last pizza, and probably the best of the lot.

Hnnnnnggggggg :circlefap:

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
Had cerebral shunt surgery last Wednesday and am still recovering. I myself can't have anything too heavy but the wife wanted something hearty for brunch and she had gotten a great deal on some cheap steaks yesterday.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

PatMarshall posted:

I made some Kung Pao chicken. It was really good.

Sex Hobbit posted:

Buchu jeon (Korean onion and veggie pancake), kimchi (from a jar) and udon. This picture looked a lot better on my phone.

Good lord :drat:

Also all the pizzas over the last couple of pages have been outstanding :love:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A pizza steel is the best thing I've purchased for pizza. I put it on the top rack, the oven on convection 525. Pies cook in 3 minutes.

edit: That's good looking crumb on your crust

Thanks! I used a 70% no-knead for the crust. Simplest thing ever and it was outstanding.

So I've been trying to get a pizza steel and it's been drat near impossible. I was talking to my friends at a local pizza place here about how awesome steels are and the owner of the shop was listening into the conversation. He pipes up and says that stone is the best thing to cook on, and I said I couldn't find either one here. So he hands me this and says "Go home and make good food."

It's 1" thick and it's a beast. Best. Pizza guy. Ever.

Veritek83 posted:

Seconding the baking steel. Also that crumb is gorgeous. How long did you preheat? I think that might help with the char.

2 hour preheat. Maybe 15-20 min between pies. Next time I'm going to place the stone one rack lower and see how that goes.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
check out whati had for lunch today!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angor posted:

Thanks! I used a 70% no-knead for the crust. Simplest thing ever and it was outstanding.

So I've been trying to get a pizza steel and it's been drat near impossible. I was talking to my friends at a local pizza place here about how awesome steels are and the owner of the shop was listening into the conversation. He pipes up and says that stone is the best thing to cook on, and I said I couldn't find either one here. So he hands me this and says "Go home and make good food."

It's 1" thick and it's a beast. Best. Pizza guy. Ever.

2 hour preheat. Maybe 15-20 min between pies. Next time I'm going to place the stone one rack lower and see how that goes.

Science don't lie, and steel has way more heat capacity (I think nerds call it specific heat?) than stone does. Not that you can't make good pies on other surfaces, but the one crust I posted was the 4th pie I had baked in 20-25 minutes time.

I got my steel on Amazon. A little pricey but I'm sold on it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oh I absolutely agree that steel>stone. But this stone was free. And I believe shipping a pizza steel to me from Amazon costs roughly $450 last time I checked ;)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

angor posted:

Oh I absolutely agree that steel>stone. But this stone was free. And I believe shipping a pizza steel to me from Amazon costs roughly $450 last time I checked ;)

Your results make me hungry. Well done.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

WTF BEES posted:

Had cerebral shunt surgery last Wednesday and am still recovering. I myself can't have anything too heavy but the wife wanted something hearty for brunch and she had gotten a great deal on some cheap steaks yesterday.

Looks hearty, and fantastic. Hope all is well with the noggin.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
How does cast iron compare to steel/stone? I can only see iron things on Amazon uk.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
You can make good pies in a cast iron skillet. They're small but can't beat the price.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Cast iron is dope for that bootleg bar pie with a tortilla. I've also had good deep dish pies in it (and some bad ones too). I've seen people make their pies by flipping their cast iron for some reason. At that point it's better to just get a stone or steel.

I had a stone for a while and my gf got me a steel last year. It's definitely way better. Keeps temp better, gets a better crust (I assume to getting hotter and keeping heat better). It's also way more durable. I some how exploded two of my stones. I'd have to try really hard to do that to the steel, and I'd die an honorable death if I did.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nooner posted:

check out whati had for lunch today!!

Nooner, it is not cool to lie about what you had for lunch when it was actually someone else. Please edit your post and apologize.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Nooner, it is not cool to lie about what you had for lunch when it was actually someone else. Please edit your post and apologize.
:eyepop:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Oh snap.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
poo poo just got real

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Nhilist posted:

Looks hearty, and fantastic. Hope all is well with the noggin.

Everything is cool with my brain. I was so jealous watching her eat that but it was a lot of fun to cook, and I tried a lot of new stuff cooking it. I'm more of a steak purist myself. Just some salt and pepper and you're good to go.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Bacon inside is probably a bad idea. If you're cooking the pork to high enough heat where the bacon isn't rubbery, then you're gonna have dried out pork. If anything, put the bacon on the outside, and pull the roast when the internal temp is 138 or so then let it rest for 10 or 15 minutes before slicing.

Cheers. Did a larger roast (2.5 lbs this time) for a few people tonight, didn't use the bacon and pulled it at 145*F, came out great.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

First time working with rhubarb, but this rhubarb hamentaschen came out great!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
The perks of having a chef roommate: he brought home some meat. Dry-aged prime rib steaks. My Anova died the other day so I tried the Modernist Cuisine steak in a slow oven. Sear, then bring up to 130 in a 160F oven. Took two hours. Was well worth it. Served with smashed potatoes and sauteed sugar snap peas. Dessert was stick chocolate cake with vanilla whipped cream and raspberries.

Them steaks though. 2.2lb each and there was three of us. Lots of cooked steak left for tonight.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

blixa posted:

The perks of having a chef roommate: he brought home some meat. Dry-aged prime rib steaks. My Anova died the other day so I tried the Modernist Cuisine steak in a slow oven. Sear, then bring up to 130 in a 160F oven. Took two hours. Was well worth it. Served with smashed potatoes and sauteed sugar snap peas. Dessert was stick chocolate cake with vanilla whipped cream and raspberries.

Them steaks though. 2.2lb each and there was three of us. Lots of cooked steak left for tonight.

Sweet, sweet jesus....those steaks.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tev posted:

Sweet, sweet jesus....those steaks.

I don't think I've ever seen a kilogram steak that looked that good.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

blixa posted:

Hot drat

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Parsnip & Pea Vichyssoise Soup with Shoestring Potatoes

Pan Fried Chicken, Grilled Netarine, Watercress Salad with Lime & Ginger dressing.

Milk Braised Chicken

Pile of Scotch Eggs for a picnic

And inside. Took the yolks past runny to be sure no-one died.

A Steak.

Chorizo, Potato, Cherry Tomato hash

Lemon Tart

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cavenagh posted:

Pile of Scotch Eggs for a picnic

And inside. Took the yolks past runny to be sure no-one died.

How did you keep the yolks from cooking all the way? Do a soft boil on them before wrapping/cooking again? Not finish in the oven?

Going to have to make some of these soon.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sweet thai salmon on farfalle tossed with fresh basil, olive oil, lemon rind/juice and garlic. Was pretty good although I wish I had noticed that onion in the front for the photo.

Salmon by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

unnnghhh, that just looks so goddamn good;

Cavenagh posted:

Pan Fried Chicken, Grilled Netarine, Watercress Salad with Lime & Ginger dressing.

and this one looks a good summer dish. Is it as fresh as I'm expecting?

Tea last night, a re-run of a dish idea in progress, much better results this time:

Pan-fried king oyster mushroom, ajitsuke tamago (with dark soy), shiitake sesame toast, crispy-fried buna-shimeji with chilli and chives, roasted chives, finished with chilli oil, cayenne pepper and smoked salt.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Olpainless posted:

and this one looks a good summer dish. Is it as fresh as I'm expecting?

It's also got some pickled banana pepper and a little shredded mozzarella floating around it too. It's fast become one of my favourite salads, serving it with trout and fried chicken. It's really bright and each element seems to awaken parts of the other elements.

Olpainless posted:

Tea last night, a re-run of a dish idea in progress, much better results this time:

Pan-fried king oyster mushroom, ajitsuke tamago (with dark soy), shiitake sesame toast, crispy-fried buna-shimeji with chilli and chives, roasted chives, finished with chilli oil, cayenne pepper and smoked salt.

And that's a beautiful thing.

Moey posted:

How did you keep the yolks from cooking all the way? Do a soft boil on them before wrapping/cooking again? Not finish in the oven?

Essentially yeah, start with as soft a boil as you dare (I steam for 5 minutes), and chill down quickly before peeling. The whites need to be firm enough for you to wrap the sausage (blitz the sausage meat in a mixer with a little water, makes it smoother and easier to work with) around. Cook enough eggs that you can cut one open at every stage. Once wrapped, dredge in flour then egg then panko and deep fry for around four minutes. Finish in a medium oven for 10 minutes to ensure the pork is cooked. If you serve immediately, the yolks should be runny. If not then carry over will firm them up.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Could not get a good photo since it was after sundown, but this was my camping meal Saturday night. Porkchop grilled over the campfire with herb butter, same herb butter on the bread, and carrots/green onion/stripy green heirloom tomato roasted in a foil packet in the coals. We did caramelized figs on tinfoil for desert but I couldn't get a photo in the dark.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
^^I could eat that!!

had an appetizer with figs over here:

red onion, figs and apricot jam with salt and pepper, on puff pastry, with soft goats cheese and some pine nuts.

was by myself, testing a new appetizer for future guests, so I invited the Duchess and ate two "onion-fig tarts" for dinner.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Looks tasty as hell, totally going to make that.

CatMotherMilfLover
Aug 3, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

blixa posted:

I'm going to be dreaming about those steaks! :eek:

CatMotherMilfLover
Aug 3, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I cooked pan seared squid hoods stuffed with chopped garlic prawns, breadcrumbs and parsley!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CatMotherMilfLover posted:

I cooked pan seared squid hoods stuffed with chopped garlic prawns, breadcrumbs and parsley!

Hot drat.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

CatMotherMilfLover posted:

Man, that looks so pretty and tasty.

CatMotherMilfLover
Aug 3, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Olpainless posted:

Man, that looks so pretty and tasty.

Thank you! It was really tasty, and really easy to cook! :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wheat berry risotto with farm fresh peas and chard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Where do you live that you get peas in August? I'm pretty jealous of that.

• Locked thread